PDA

View Full Version : British Anzani Twin Block C and D Alkys coming to BRF

John (Taylor) Gabrowski
09-14-2007, 10:42 PM
From fables and myths to realities again.

From 1961 to 1964 and later again in 1968, these 2 different period built and 2 different in class, twin coupled block British Anzani engines existed in the boat racing scenes. From 1961-1964 a Anzani coupled twin blocked C (combined 250cc X2 = 30 cubic inches) produced by Bill Tenney and raced in Class C Alky Runabout in the USA proved to be the success it was but all admit it was very hard on its components.

In 1968 out of the Northwest USA region 10, Jim Hallum and Ron Anderson embarked on a similar project but used 2 larger Anzani engines (322cc x2 = 40 cubic inches) twinned and coupled to produce the class D Alky Anzani. There was so much horsepower here (reputed to be 200+ horsepower) that component failures time after time eventually ended the project. The engine was still a racing reality.

The 1961 to 1964 period British Anzani coupled twin blocked class C Alky as of Christmas 2006 has been re-created and is hoped will be test fired to run, only for historical and display purposes in the spring/summer of 2008.

The 1968 British Anzani coupled twin blocked class D Alky is under recreation this fall of 2007 with similar hopes that it will be finished and ready for test firing to run for historical and display purposes in the spring/summer of 2008.

Both engines with pictorials and their stories will be submitted here to BRF as historical projects in outboard racing.

smittythewelder
09-15-2007, 03:15 PM
Glad to see you posting Anzani stuff again, John!

As for the "D" Anzani that was assembled here, its troubles had little to do with horsepower output and more to do with fouling plugs when trying to plane-off a heavy runabout with cold heat-range plugs (Autolite 203 or 403) and some percentage of nitro while using the inadequate Lucas mags of the time (1968). This was a very short-term project, and was soon dismantled. Since I had the experience of having to lift the back of Chuck Walters' runabout with that engine and Honker's large bod, I'll speculate that nobody wanted to lift it anymore! Had it run, total horsepower wouldn't have been much over 120-125, which however would still have been very respectable at the time. We heard lots of amazing horsepower figures from other sources, but Anzanis still held almost all of the A and B records in the Sixties. With upgraded ignitions they became surprisingly reliable, but by that point Anderson's A Konig and Hallum/Walin's VB Konig had superceded the Anzanis.

John (Taylor) Gabrowski
09-15-2007, 07:36 PM
I can remember as an early teenager and pitman then in the earlier 1960s there was no love for Lucas magnetos with Anzani owner/drivers then. Its seemed the most common three items that happened then was the Lucas magneto crapped out fowling the plugs, the crank somehow twisted ( I didn't know they were piece together cranks way back then) and water came up the bottom pipe when the driver got off plane flooding the bottom cylinder with water preventing the engine from restarting for its next heat. In one situation in Selkirk the water up the bottom pipe hydralic'd the engine block cracking it. The A and B Alky classes were just dominated by those engines and their crescent shaped stacks. All these engines from A to F always had people on their feet and we here are talking thousands of spectators in the 1960s.

My first Anzani I bought in the late 1970s had the Autolite sparkplugs in it too and spares too boot. It was not the Champion L-10s I read and heard about either. I never knew "automotive" sparkplug makers like Autolite made sparkplugs for outboard racing. I was in shock when "AC" sparkplugs showed up too! We were very much Champion Sparkplug users and fans here with our trusty J4Js and new found UJ7Gs etc slapped into our racing Merc stockers then. What Alkys had we had no clue, so we assumed it was all Champion Sparkplugs too and there were plenty of boats decalling that fact.

It was always part of the show here to have the pits not far from the spectator area and watching the Anzani starts was really part of that show. The lift, the revup that was amazingly fast and the throw forward as opposed to drop with everone rearward getting hosed from props biting as they took off. They were on plane so fast, if everything was alright. If the engine even hiccuped wrong the boat would stay put with everyone ganging up on it cooperatively to get it to run ASAP soon.

Where some of these horsepower estimates came from were from Bill Tenney's own engineers. One has retired from Polaris Snowmo and lives in Thief River Falls, Minn. He still has his Anzani engine and his recollection is from some of the B Alky engines they dynoed where at some 40% nitro the horsepower on the Bs exceeded 400+ horsepower per liter of displacement. He also had some recollection of what was going on in the North West in Region 10 where some were going as high as 60% nitromethane fuel mix and he wondered out loud how the engines could stay together with the kind of horsepower that would generate?? One of his funny comments was "over here we use DelOrto fuel bowls held high" "over there (Region 10) they use fuel pumps!"

I can appreciate the reason why no one wanted to lift Chuck Walters monster engined runabout. Tim Chance has quite the story about the 1961 to 1964 effort with the twin C. Sure there was four guys that held that engine and boat up too but only one man in particular of some 350 lbs of muscle started that motor all the time. He passed away some 6 years ago wondering what ever happened to that motor he alone could start. I am sure he knows now its back together.

mac19f
09-16-2007, 12:51 PM
Why do the British drink warm beer??....they have Lucas refrigerators.

Mark75H
09-16-2007, 01:15 PM
Why aren't the English known for making computers & cell phones?

They haven't figured out how to make them leak oil

John (Taylor) Gabrowski
09-16-2007, 07:01 PM
In going through some parts selections had to be made. When looking at these 2 Anzani piston rods, it leaves one scratching your head if this was gradual nitomethane fuels bending this piston/conencting rod or some kind of dumping that hydralic'd the rod when water came storming into the engine through some opening? When an Anzani 350 exploded upon starting back around 1979 at an Alberta race, when they used pure nitro to start it, both rods snapped off roughly in their middles as the engine grenaded. To see this one bend, why did it without breaking?

John (Taylor) Gabrowski
09-16-2007, 08:08 PM
When you start looking at selecting components for the basis of a mythical twin blocked outboard racing engine you only heard rumors about when you were a teenager standing in the water as a pitman it comes to be a real daunting task. When I took this picture back in the late 1990s, some of it made some sense putting an engine coupler on top of a steel pipe type fabricated/welded tower with Mercury clamps because it was all very heavy duty. At the time Tim Chance was not around racing or posting on the Internet to tell me it was the right direction but not the right combination of components for the coupled twin Anzani Alky class C of 1961 to 1964. Similarly Smitty the Welder dropping the bombshell recently that in 1968 there was the Hallum and Anderson effort to build a twin coupled Anzani class D Alky was doubly whammy! Both Tim Chance and Smitty years apart and locations just as spread out were both lifting a class C or D different Alky racing runabouts with coupled twin Anzanis powering them. It is very plain to see that they must have been that heavy because the picture clearly shows (see the surface rust?) the basis for these engines were 2 cast iron (not sleeved aluminum) loop scavenged engine blocks. Real heavy!

smittythewelder
09-17-2007, 10:43 AM
While the Anzani gurus here ran Autolite AE203 and 403s (as I recall they thought there were fewer "duds" per box, or something like that), the comparable Champions were L82R and L84R. I think some of the Quincy owners used ACs, but don't know the ranges. And the stock guys found a wider variety yet. Dan Mackle, BSH points champ in '65, used Lodge plugs from England.

Some of the earlier magntos and batery-and-points ignitions systems were so inadequate at firing a wet charge of methanol on a cloudy Northwest day, and the cooling of those motors was so marginal, that tuners were faced with a balancing act: Do you run 203s so that you don't stick a piston, or 403s so that you don't foul a plug before the boat gets on plane? This was especially acute at the competition records course at Yelm every September, which was invariably rainy and cold. Hallum and Anderson equipped the Anzanis with cockpit-adjustable mixture controls so that the driver could lean out the Vacturi while trying to plane-off with his long-course, high-pitch prop, then richen it up once he got going. This made it easier to use the 203s; even so, I think they were trying combinations of a 203 in one cylinder and a 403 in the other. Electronic ignitions such as the Delta Mark 4 and Kiekhaefer's unit were a huge advance.

John (Taylor) Gabrowski
09-17-2007, 09:25 PM
You got to a race and it gets to be pretty pursausive when a Champion Sparkplugs representative hands you a whole box of your most used sparkplugs, for me they were J4Js for the KG9s, the 40Hs and then the 20Hs, 30Hs and 55Hs back then along with a decal for each side of your boats cockpit, on all your boats! They were always sociable and always handing out these freebees. Seemed that there were no better alternatives then, until Champion came up with the platinum small tip plugs that were even better yet in a fair bunch of heat ranges to boot. The thought of Autolite, A/C, Splitfires and Spitfires was sacraledge until some NGKs came up when Champion went to copper plus giving NGK a bunch of converts as a result.

I noticed that Alky plugs for a lot of methanol burners, like Quincy, Konig, Yamato and Crescent used L82s or L84s and there were L83s too but they were not that well favored though in between.

That leaned out start and richen device, Hallum and Anderson developed was essentially a driver adjusted cable feeding into a carb mounted slider rack and the pinion device being the rotatable high speed needle (they put a small gear on it) all mounted atop the Vacturi carb was not only good but it seemed quite necessary as the raceboats got faster and longer. That was very much a North West USA device not found out east. Way back when drivers 50s and 60s (especially runabouts) Anzanis would start out lean and the driver turn around, reach back and adjusted the high speed to rich once planed out which was one mean feat. In other cases they would hold the raceboat up until the Anzani rev'd up cleaned out and then a pitman would turn the high speed needle to rich, then they would throw the boat forward as usual to launch.

I never knew what the inside of a Lucas magneto was like but if it was anything like the Brit bikes I tooled with in hgih school or the British sports cars I was hung up on early in my driving a car years, I had a feeling it was not going to be great because those others proved that. The Lucas magneto once opened looked pretty awful (over complicated) and they looked like Fairbanks Morse wannabees that just couldn't make it. One immediate improvement to the Lucas magneto was to install (it drops right in including securing points in the coils frame) a Fairbanks Morse magneto coil (same as KF9, KG9 & 40H) in it with an immediate improvement in voltage discharge making starting easier though the rest of the magneto was generally still pretty crappy.

Tim Chance
09-18-2007, 02:38 PM
I'm going to go on a Mission and find a photograph of Floyd Harris running the twin block Anzani (Yes it is British) C on his 13' DeSilva Runabout, US-1 and/or G-33, and hopefully a photo of Jim Kolosky cranking it.

John (Taylor) Gabrowski
09-19-2007, 09:50 AM
That would great a great picture to get a hold of. Somewhere in the albums that were lost to an incident here I had a picture of Floyd Harris Jr. photoed in a big DeSilva runabout but the engine looked like a Quincy as I recall. Was that the same raceboat they parked the Twin Anzani on top of? If you could score a picture of it, the Anzani twin C being started by Mr. Kolosky too would be great and a momento to him and his ability to single handidly roping over the beast to start it.

Jerry Combs
09-20-2007, 07:35 AM
John,

Back when my dad was racing AOH with an Anzani in the late 60's we had a saying for Lucas that was very appropiate to me since I was the one lifting..........Left Us Cold And Standing.

Jerry

John (Taylor) Gabrowski
09-20-2007, 08:59 AM
Are there any pictures you could scan and put into these pages to show some of that standing in the water stuff? Racers and pitmen then as now were notorious for not taking many pictures of stuff like that happening. Does not matter if they are black and white, if not color either or if they were shot through a lense of a camera back then the grade like the bottom of a glass Coke bottle, so long as there is some definition and contrast. Do you have or can get any?

Jerry Combs
09-20-2007, 11:06 AM
Are there any pictures you could scan and put into these pages to show some of that standing in the water stuff? Racers and pitmen then as now were notorious for not taking many pictures of stuff like that happening. Does not matter if they are black and white, if not color either or if they were shot through a lense of a camera back then the grade like the bottom of a glass Coke bottle, so long as there is some definition and contrast. Do you have or can get any?

John,

The best that I can do is a picture from after a race, the boats and everything were already loaded. Like most racers we didn't take many pictures at all. Dad sold all of his and my equipment shortly before he died in 1996 to someone but I don't know who. I was sick when I found out he had sold my A and B Koenigs as well as his Anzani. Dad's Anzani had been owned by Wade Terrill and dad bought it when Wade had a heart attack and thought he was done racing. Dad and Frank Zorkan had a lot of very close races. Dad flipped it on day and it didn't run right afterwards. He sent it to Tenny and had the porting updated etc around 1968 or 69. We never did get it to run fast afterwards, my Koenig (VA if I remember right, it had been Marcel Belleville's A motor) outran it by a wide margin and dad just lost interest in racing.

Jerry

smittythewelder
09-20-2007, 01:02 PM
FYI, John, the photo that appears under your name was obviously not a Seattle-area engine, because it uses the factory (or Tenney) style of pipe-bracing. All the Anzanis here ran the bracing to a bracket bolted to the center of the cylinder head. I believe Lee Sutter was the first to do this.

Anzani guys I remember in this area included Sutter, Walin/Hallum, Mike Smith (who I think drove Walin's stuff a couple of times, and held a record at Yelm), Ron and Don Anderson, Ron Magnusson, Duane Wallick (who also had a Harrison), Mike Flynn, and Roger Wendt. Also Buzz Thorsen, who had the first Harrison in the Region in '66, I think. Buzz, a machinist from Oregon, had gorgeous equipment, with matching turquoise paintjobs on his MacDonald hydro and his '56 Chevy Nomad wagon. The pits always looked classier after Buzz arrived. I believe his son Alan is the current builder of the hardware line started by Leonard Keller.

John (Taylor) Gabrowski
09-20-2007, 06:07 PM
Jerry: Thanks for the picture, it is very true about racers hardly taking pictures of what they put themselves through! Most A - B Anzani drivers were of slight build and just right for their raceboats too.

I just got a short email concerning that wild Anzani porting system. Because it added 2 intake ports by the method it was done, it increased effective crankcase transfer volumes making for slower air/fuel transfer, that was supposed to be taken care of by increasing nitromethane content in the fuel mix significantly because the Anzanis did not breathe all that well. Most racers used 10% nitro where others a bit (what ever that means?) more. With this porting update it required some 25% to 30% nitromethane in the fuel mix to make the engine turn on faster than previous. Horsepower increases were significant this way. One of Tenney's associate engineers who retired from Polaris, now lives in Thief River Falls, talked about them dynoing engines up to 30% and some little more nitro in the fuel, breaking things. He as did Roger Wendt mentioned in the North West some were using 40% and as much as 60% nitro as fuel because the engine just could not breath effectively and the nitro took over that chore quite well being it was being used in a cast iron block that could handle it.

Smitty: Your very right on about the pipe bracings. The ones in the picture under my name are the kind Bill Tenney produced. They fractured more this way, the brazed weld repairs show it. The North Western pipes I also have, have that bracket your referring to in the middle of the cylinder head to tie to.

Another difference was in your NW area, some Anzani engines were head gasketless in cases, glued and bolted down extensively and different than the norm. To add to that, to equalize head bolt pressures around the head's perimeter NW racers took out the head's water jacket casting plugs, installed thicker plugs and drilled, threaded and installed Allen bolts through these thicker plugs to put pressure on the head's perimeters from the inside in addition to the head bolts, plus an extra one in the middle to attempt to equalize torque pressures around the head to block mating surfaces even between the cylinders. It worked well by all accounts.

All the Tenney engines I have here and recalled elsewhere had the hand made type sheet copper, sometimes aluminum head gaskets like the Quincy Flatheads also used with glue to seal the then torqued down head(s). Clearly the composite gaskes originally used for gasoline leaked and were unreliable for Alky use.

None of the Tenney engines here used fuel pumps but the crankcase pressure feed to pressurize the fuel tank with a line to either one or two DelOrto remote fuel bowls held high to then gravity feed and use needle, seat and coated cork float in the Vacturi carb. Sometimes there were float, needle and seat problems. The engines I got from Alberta from Gene Strain and in from Roger Wendt in Montana all used the rubber mounted OMC fuel pump with a floatless Vacturi carb with a overflow line back to the non pressurized Alky tank.

All this sounds kind of complicated but really they were quite simplified for reliability too.

John (Taylor) Gabrowski
09-20-2007, 11:05 PM
After asking around for a few years on the Internet from a small black and white picture supplied by returning racer Tim Chance of Bill Tenneys Anzani promotional British Anzani material the Anzani Twin Block C Alky went to first mockup during December of 2006. All the components were within the parts bank and were mounted according to what the picture offered. Tim Chance commented, what he was now seeing had not been seen sometime since disappearing in 1964-65. The work involved in restoring the racing engine now had some basis to go forward towards the operational model. Enjoy the first pictures.

John (Taylor) Gabrowski
09-30-2007, 08:26 PM
Pictures anyone? The British Anzani twin block D project by Jim Hallum and Ron Anderson evolved around producing an engine that was used on Chuck Walters class D Alky DeSilva runabout in Region 10 back in 1968-69, in the North West USA. Do any readers have any leads to pictures of this raceboat with some strange looking engine attached to it where it took at least 4 people to hold the raceboat up and 2 starters to get the dual blocked engine going? Any picture, black and white, even blurry out of a box camera would be appreciated. :)

smittythewelder
10-02-2007, 11:28 AM
The arrangement of the two B powerheads was not like the layout in your photos. I'll send you a sketch.

John (Taylor) Gabrowski
10-07-2007, 09:01 PM
The Twin block C Alky was done/re-created with a brochure picture supplied by Tim Chance. There is another block mounting method different is sure going to change how the Twin D would look alright. Looking forward to a sketch. :)

John (Taylor) Gabrowski
10-17-2007, 04:46 PM
The layout picture Tim Chance found in a copy of Bill Tenney's brochure on the couple twin engine is the layout used for the class C Alky that ran so sucessfully in the Midwestern USA. In the abscence of your drawing or a picture, did they set it up with the 2 engine blocks with cylinders facing 180 degrees opposite each other the way some Johnson 4-60s or Yamato 350s and 500s 4 bangers were setup?

John (Taylor) Gabrowski
02-20-2008, 09:12 PM
According to a previous post in the other Anzani thread Floyd Harris, the first year his monster twin block Alky C ran was 1960 and he is talking about getting some pictures posted on it soon. I wished there were some west coast pictures of the class D Anzani twin block they were working on, it could sure add a lot to the thread on these little monsters of the NOA era show up here to make some historical info.

John (Taylor) Gabrowski
03-05-2008, 10:27 PM
Back in the days when Floyd Harris ran the twin block Alky C Anzani known props were all 2 blade and they worked well considering everyone was on the cutting edge of prop technology virtually from one race to the next each season. Two blade props for class A and B Alky by example made by Smith, Oakland-Johnson or Michigan Wheel and opthers, many in brass and later in stainless steel seemed small but they spun them into the 9,000 rpm range and they set records with them time after time. To date no one has come up with any representation/picture of a prop that was run on this twin C Anzani nor would they have looked much different from what everyone else commonly ran though each time had all their custom mades anyway.

Having this in mind a 3 Anzani props of which one is a McKean Marine stamped version one of each 3 and 4 blade custom props were made using the McKean as the sample with basic ear, pitch and diameter used as the sample to construct each prop. There is no doubt they will both work, the only question is how well considering the Anzani twin will only see methanol fueling without any nitromethane. This is relying on Bill Tenney's early published specs that indicated that the motor would run well on methanol fuel and caster oil as the lubricant. When the props get thinned and polished this spring they will be pictured here on this thread upon being finished. We are going to be hopefull they might work good enough for a representation without the nitro. :)

John (Taylor) Gabrowski
09-09-2008, 07:05 PM
According to UK's Twister another twin blocked Anzani "Sport Twin" coupled twin blocked engine has turned up in New Zealand. The pictures Bill Tenney used to advertise these twin blocked engines featured Amal monoblock carbs that were fed gasoline/oil from a pressure feed tank that were not used in the USA with the engines going full race Alky with Vacturi A0-500 single carb on each powerhead and open bell pipes for exhausts.

We know that Floyd Harris ran the Tenney built twin block C Alky successfuly in runabout in the USA in the early 1960s. There is no information on the other versions at this point in terms of running or racing success in either UK or NZ but hopefully some information might turn up from overseas readers seeing this latest post.

John (Taylor) Gabrowski
12-17-2008, 11:38 AM
With the discovery that the Bill Tenney Anzani works of the day (in the later 1960s) were also in the throws of a little bit more than just conceptually looking at a vertically integrated in line (4 cylinder) twin crankcased and twin blocked alternate firing verticle coupled block 4 cylinder engine for either C or D class. An inventory has been carried out that has found that there is enough basic parts to go to mockup of a verticle in-line 4 cylinder C or D Anzani or alternatively a horizonatlly setup C-Alky transmission coupled but in a class D displacement (2 class B Anzani blocks) that was a product of North Western USA doing. This other concept where a vertically integrated alternate firing in line 4 cylinder in either class C or D displacement can be built too but the problem is not enough parts to build both formats of engines unless more crankcase parts etc. come to exist here. What a horrible choice to have to make as transformation parts exist for a transmission coupled horizontal twin blocked D or the vertically integrated twin block C or D to build one now exists but not near enough to build the two whole units. :(

Any more British Anzani spare parts out there anywhere to be had that I haven't heard anything about? Into checking on dusty shelves or under workbenches in dusty boxes anyone to help restore some more history?