PDA

View Full Version : looking for info on my d class runabout

Silas_53A
09-23-2007, 07:51 PM
I recently came across a 13' d class runabout in MA. i am looking for new information about it and or confirmation on what i have been told.

as far as i know it was built in the late 50's early 60's by Clark "Clock" Maloof of Quincy MA. It has 'Clarkraft Quincy, Mass" in black lettering on the back near the transom. It has "Calendar Girl 9B" on both sides along with "9B" and a 2 and a half foot picture of Betty Boop on the bow.

I talked to Stan Fitts recently and that 9B was his brothers number from early 60's to mid/late 70's. so if this is number is the origional number then it was races Steve Fitts. also i found out that Steve was the national champion in '67 i believe in the DU class. (i am pending a e-mail from stan, who said he was going to talk to his brother to confirm this boat was indeed his)

so i guess what i am asking is for any more information and confirmation/correction of this information, as well as any pictures or personal tid bits about this boat.

also, from what im told this boat was hung on a wall in a restaurant for 20 years or so, so it hasnt seen the water since the late 70's early 80's. there are not registration numbers or anything

Tomtall
09-24-2007, 03:28 AM
I don't have info but I do have another picture of Betty when she apeared on BRF earlier this year. Congratulations on saving this boat and keeping it's history alive.:)

Silas_53A
09-24-2007, 06:23 AM
incase it will help i will take a couple close-up shots this afternon. the ones i posted were from the ebay auction that i won the boat in. i am also interested in info such as what this boat model was called and how many (if any) others like it were built.

Silas_53A
09-27-2007, 05:36 AM
another thing about this boat is that it might not look the same as when it was raced. when we talked to Stan Fitts he said he wasnt sure if the Betty Boop painting and th name 'Calendar Girl' was there when his brother raced it. if that is true it may have very well have been painted on before it was put on the wall in the restaurant(which i also have no idea which restaurant it was in, so if anyoen knows, that would be great). but he seemed sure that 9B was his brothers number in the 60's to 70's. If someone could confirm that with an old APBA roster or something that would be great.

One thing i was disappointed about was that when we picked it up from the guy we bought it from, he said a man stopped by when he had it in his front lawn and told him he painted that boat. but the guy who owned didnt bother to take his name or anything or any information about when it was painted and who owned the boat at the time.

P.S. Thanks tom, i was unaware it was on here before, since i have only owned the boat for about 4 months now, the previous owner must have psoted it.