PDA

View Full Version : Rod bolt torque

Boatnut
10-18-2007, 05:03 AM
Gunna button up a 1988 3cyl 2str yamaha, tommora, New conrod bolts along with other stuff. can someone please clue me up on the torque numbers for em. I have a shop manual but it isn't genuine yamaha, it says 25ft/lbs (35Nm) but I'm thinkin being new bolts they might be a torque number plus 1/4 or 1/2 turn??????? someone please shine a light on this:D

Techteam
10-18-2007, 07:10 AM
3 cylinder 2 Stroke covers quite a few different motors could you be more specific. I always use red loctite now matter what motor if it's for hipo or racing the trick is to be sparing with it. Tell us what it is and I'll look in the manual for you.

Boatnut
10-18-2007, 04:10 PM
Bugger I knew i forgot something,:rolleyes: It's 90 hp yamaha. Thanks for the reply techteam:D

Techteam
10-19-2007, 01:41 AM
Hi ok the torque is correct 35nm how I do it is to install the piston and cap, tighten the rod bolts to 25nm quite often you hear an audible click from the rod as the cap seats properly (you will know what I mean) I then remove 1 bolt apply red loctite sparingly ie I fill the threads then use the plastic nozzle of the bottle to remove excess then I torque the bolt to the setting. Same with the other bolt. Using this method I have never had a problem and I ran my 90 over 7000 rpm.

Fast Fred
10-19-2007, 03:40 AM
first pull 10lbs, 2nd pull 25lbs, red locktight. 90 is the only 3 cyl Yamaha with rod bolts.:eek: :cool:

yamonster
10-19-2007, 10:51 AM
7 years at yamaha, I always go with 320 inch lbs

Boatnut
10-21-2007, 04:55 PM
Thanks for the replies fella's.
It's all back together now with a few issues along the way. Parts arrived in the mail from Queensland on friday morning, grouse i thought. New pistons, rings, gudgeons and little ends:cool: Top bearing:cool: at least 2 out of 3 big end bearings were the right ones:mad: Bottom bearing not even close:mad: and to top it all off, got it buttoned up to discover a notchy bearing, one of the centre mains had mismatched shells out o tha box:mad: AH well at least the old bearings were in good nick and got put back in. on the up side at least i can send the sh!t back and make the wasted weekend a bit cheaper. Will be playin boats next weekend at the club open day which was the main aim all along:)