PDA

View Full Version : Piston Failure Analysis Guide

Tomtall
10-29-2007, 04:40 PM
I was going thru some schooling lititure from days gone by and came by this article I had saved from a manufacturer of 2 stroke engines. I saved it due to the fact I thought it was one of the better compiled articles on two stroke piston failure analysis. Thought I would would share it with those here on BRF that are interested in this topic.

Techteam
10-30-2007, 01:47 AM
Great Article, Thanks very much for posting

David Weaver
10-30-2007, 10:07 AM
Are 3a,3b and 5. I have gotten to know these too well over the years!!:( :(

DKL
10-30-2007, 02:10 PM
Thanks,
That is very good information,,, piston's doesn't show any wash though:confused:

mercguy
10-30-2007, 06:58 PM
Are 3a,3b and 5. I have gotten to know these too well over the years!!:( :(

isn't that a compression release hole in 3B???:D

Michael J Gwaltney
10-31-2007, 09:19 AM
I was going thru some schooling lititure from days gone by and came by this article I had saved from a manufacturer of 2 stroke engines. I saved it due to the fact I thought it was one of the better compiled articles on two stroke piston failure analysis. Thought I would would share it with those here on BRF that are interested in this topic.
I was a Johnson Service School Instructor in the seventies. I made a display of V-4 pistons with various failures and a sign What Happened? It always drew comments and questions.
I also displayed gearcase oil in glass mayo jars. Examples of New, Used, Water Contaminated, Gear Failure.
Pour some dirty gear oil in a jar, add some water and a few damaged parts. Oil/Water separation creates a conversation piece.