PDA

View Full Version : Antique DeSilva runabout

RTM
11-20-2007, 07:23 PM
Here are some pics of my DeSilva racing runabout. Its powered by a Chrysler 3 cyl. poweread mated to a Chrysler racing mid and gearcase. I run it at the AOMCI events in Central Fl.
The boat was formally owned by the late Al Scopinich.

Rich

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c191/floridaboy2053/boats2/100_0185.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c191/floridaboy2053/boats2/100_0183.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c191/floridaboy2053/boats2/RaceboatatWinterhaven.jpg

Tomtall
11-21-2007, 02:26 AM
Richard - Very nice package ! :) What body of water were you running on in the picture?

Allen J. Lang
11-21-2007, 07:06 AM
Hi Richard- The last time I saw a picture of your boat was several years ago at a Florida meet with Al Scopinich, past national champ in CM runabout (back in the early 50s) Carl Ring and his wife. The boat had a 4-60 mounted on the stern. Glad to see you are taking great care of it.
Have you clocked it? :cool:

RTM
11-21-2007, 08:28 AM
Thanks for your favorable comments. The lake where that picture was taken was Lake Shipp in Winter haven, about a month ago. As you can see the lake was glass smooth, and was all day. The speeds I`m getting are disappointing. It clocks on speedo at only 58mph, about 4200rpms. should be 5500.The props I find for that gearcase, with a 3/4" shaft, are meant for the original 135 hp 4cl. powerhead. and are way too big for the 75hp 3 cylinder. I had a couple repitched (less pitch) as much as possible, and thats where I am now at only 4200rpm The powerhead is strong with 150lbs in all cylinders. I`ll try raising the motor up an inch so the bullet nose is even with the bottom. I`m an inch below that now. As it is now its tough to bring up to plane as the motor bogs with the too big props.
If you have any ideas that would help me with this prop problem, I would appreciate it. the prop shaft is 3/4" and is half splined, and half smooth with a shearpin hole too. I`m running smoothbore shearpin props. I understand that originally, Merc speedmaster props were used, on the Chrysler race motors.
I`ve known the Scops most of my life, and Dicky I were buddies, as teenagers on Long Island. It saddens me that he is gone now too.

Rich Messineo

Mark75H
11-21-2007, 01:40 PM
The 7% overdrive ratio is a real drawback of that lower unit for pleasure use.

I think the lowest pitch props you might find for 3/4 smooth bore would be those intended for some of the older OMC racers from the 1930's, if you have the correct rotation. Ron has some for sale once in a while on eBay. It might be easier to drop the pitch back on one of them to get it to work on your motor.

Chryslers didn't exactly use the same props intended for Super Speedmasters, generally they took advantage of the larger space between the propshaft and exhaust outlet and used larger diameter props than used on the Mercs. Mercs are pretty well limited to 9 5/8" or so, the short Chryslers can swing up to 10 1/4" maybe a little more. The long Chryslers are 2 inches longer, no space restriction there at all.

F-12
11-21-2007, 02:11 PM
Saw your post about Dickie owning your Desilva. He was one of the people I always looked forward to seeing when we went to the races. I will always remember his Bahama hat and big grin. Great driver, great friend, and great loss.
By the way...............the Desilva looks great and you are on the right website to get her smokin. Stick with it.........

Allen J. Lang
11-21-2007, 04:39 PM
Rich- You said you knew Dick Scopinich from your early days on Long Island.
What part of the Island were you from? Were you ever a EORC member? I remember Dickie from our racing days of the 60s. Dick was a great guy and was shocked to hear of his passing.Spent some time visiting his family's marina in Westhampton that he ran. Always talking what he could do to make a better handling A-B alky runabout. I really didn't know Al, but , had met Mario. Only cyber space keeps me in touch with the Long Island gang since moving to MI then to AZ in retirement.
Ye Olde Desert Geezer :cool:

RTM
11-21-2007, 04:43 PM
Sam, the Chrysler gearcase I have is RH and it the short one. 5 1/8" from center of propshafe to cavplate exhaust housing. I have two props, one a 3 blade that came with the gearcase, and the other a 2 blade. both are 9 5/8" diameter. The 2 blade is a real dog. I keep searching.
F-12, Your right about Dicky always a smile, and a positive attitude,and I remember that Bahama hat. Actually it was Al, Dicky`s cousin who was the previous. He bought the boat from Wes (I can`t remember his name) who had Ralph him him this boat to the old style plans in 1989 to race on the Antique Circuit, which never panned out. At least that`s what Ralph told me when I called him to inquire about it. The boat is virtually new, and only needed a couple of coats of varnish to look like new.
I guess the easiest thing for me to do it bolt a fourcylinder powerhead on it, they don`t cost much, to get the power back, but the boat is stern heavy now, as you can see in the picture and with the 15" mid section, I might have a top heavy problem as well.
Rich

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c191/floridaboy2053/boats2/RaceboatatSuwaneeRiver.jpg

RTM
11-21-2007, 10:08 PM
Allan Lang, tried to e-mail you but it came back. Do you have a different E-Mail then the one in your profile?

Rich

Allen J. Lang
11-22-2007, 07:04 AM
Hi Rich- Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.
I can be reached using either E mail address:
Winter address in Scottsdale: alang5@cox.net
Summer mountain address in summer: culater30_n1@juno.com
Ye Olde Desert Geezer Al:cool:
P.S. There is an underline between 30_n above.

BRIAN HENDRICK
11-22-2007, 02:59 PM
I think the lowest pitch props you might find for 3/4 smooth bore would be those intended for some of the older OMC racers from the 1930's, if you have the correct rotation. Ron has some for sale once in a while on eBay.

I have one of Ron's [new] PR props. They are 9" diam. RH, 3/4" bore, 13-14" pitch. At 5500rpm, 7% OD, 10/15% slip, you should run about 65-70mph. Maybe not enough blade area for that much boat, but worth trying as these props are quite cheap.
If I was not stuck up here in the snow,:( I would tell u to meet me at Lake June next SAT to try it.
Maybe Suwannee in JAN ?
Dunlap may have some wheels for that rig.

Ron Hill
11-22-2007, 03:50 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=ADME%3AL%3ADSS%3AUS%3A1123&viewitem=&item=160180487541

Cheap is OK...I made this mold becasue I wanted to, not to make money!! (Don't tell me I can't spell bath tub....I screwed up and before I could correct it, the prop had sold...So, TUBE it is!!!!).
I never thought about it, but this "SUCKER' should be right in the ball park....

John Schubert T*A*R*T
11-23-2007, 03:43 PM
Sam, the Chrysler gearcase I have is RH and it the short one. 5 1/8" from center of propshafe to cavplate exhaust housing. I have two props, one a 3 blade that came with the gearcase, and the other a 2 blade. both are 9 5/8" diameter. The 2 blade is a real dog. I keep searching.
F-12, Your right about Dicky always a smile, and a positive attitude,and I remember that Bahama hat. Actually it was Al, Dicky`s cousin who was the previous. He bought the boat from Wes (I can`t remember his name) who had Ralph him him this boat to the old style plans in 1989 to race on the Antique Circuit, which never panned out. At least that`s what Ralph told me when I called him to inquire about it. The boat is virtually new, and only needed a couple of coats of varnish to look like new.
I guess the easiest thing for me to do it bolt a fourcylinder powerhead on it, they don`t cost much, to get the power back, but the boat is stern heavy now, as you can see in the picture and with the 15" mid section, I might have a top heavy problem as well.
Rich

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c191/floridaboy2053/boats2/RaceboatatSuwaneeRiver.jpg

Wes Jones from Claymont, Delaware.

russhill
11-23-2007, 05:18 PM
I don't know the definition of antique, or the difference between old and antique. For example, a lot of you guys around here are old, but I have socks older that most of you. I guess I am an antique.

Anyway, the DeSilva pictured is probably a very late '50s or mid '60s. Earlier DeSilvas had perfectly curved tumblehome. They curved beautifully from the chine to the cockpit. They were easier to turn, you could put your elbow out and lean way over. The later "squares" (like pictured) were undoubtedly better aerodynamically designed.

Anybody have any pictures of the older DeSilvas? How about any really ancient/old Johnny DeSilva boats with the wider deck in front of the cockpit? I don't think any of those were built after the war (You know, WWII)

RTM
11-23-2007, 05:34 PM
Russ, My DeSilva actually isn`t that old, at least its not a real antique. Wes Jones had Ralph D. build him the boat to the early plans, (like having GM build you a new `57 Chevy) to run in the Antique racing association about 1986 or 1989. The Association apparently fell through and the boat was unused, until Al Scop bought it to run at the AOMCI meets. All I did was to alter the paint job a bit, and put on a couple of coats of varnish. The boat is almost new, has never been raced or damaged.:)
Rich

Ron Hill
11-23-2007, 06:20 PM
http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1463

Here is my dad's DeSilva....Forever Amber was it's name...ruined in the 1949 Hearst Regatta....Is this an "ANTIQUE" Russ.....???

Good looking DeSilva/Chrysler combo!!!!!

russhill
11-23-2007, 08:40 PM
Sorry, RTM, I didn't mean to imply your boat was old. (You called in antique) I just was saying it was no older (or antiquer) than the late '50s

Allen J. Lang
11-23-2007, 08:46 PM
Ron- If AOMC set the antique limit at engines built 1950 or prior, I guess your Dad's '49 DeSilva could be considered as antique also.
Ye Olde Desert Geezer Al :cool:

RTM
11-23-2007, 08:47 PM
Russ thats good to know. I was under the impression that, that style boat was used until the early `70`s. when the two man boats became for and aft, instead of by side like mine is.

Rich

bill boyes
11-24-2007, 09:39 AM
DeSilva's always put the date the hull was built on the transom and keel. A number like 670522 would translate to 1967 May & the 22nd boat built in 1967.

RTM
11-24-2007, 10:44 AM
Bill, the serial # on the keel of my boat reads FRR 9896. Ho do you decyfer that?

rich

Tim Weber
11-24-2007, 10:55 AM
That translates to F racing runabout, Sept 89, boat #6 of that year.

Tim

bill boyes
11-24-2007, 10:58 AM
Looks to me like F Racing Runabout September 1989 6th boat built in 89.
However, I will ask Ralph.

RTM
11-24-2007, 06:09 PM
I checked with Ralph before I bought the boat, to make sure it actually was a DeSilva, and he remembered that he built the boat for Wes Jones, and that Al Scopinich who was a personal friend, had bought the boat from Wes. I never checked on the serial #. but thanks for the information.

rich