PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Photos past & present

Merc66G
02-22-2005, 03:43 PM
Post your picture or someone elses driving Hydros or Runabouts to the limit! :D This is Mike Franck trying to prove Runabouts can fly.

Merc66G
03-01-2005, 04:08 PM
Who's got some good action photos? I'd like to see them! Always fun to see other peoples equipment running well.

Jeff Akers
03-03-2005, 11:18 AM
This is Adam Farrow , Driver & Mike Blaufus, Deck rider. 19?? (before kevlar) :eek:

I own this boat now :cool:

Master Oil Racing Team
03-03-2005, 12:19 PM
Lee Sutter. Besides being a great driver he's a really nice guy.

pops67g
03-04-2005, 09:59 AM
I don't know if these pictures would help recruit more runabout drivers or not, but the "olden days" sure were a lot more fun. I do know that my old, beat up carcass can't take that anymore. Who was it that called hydros "runabouts with training wheels"? Mike Franck 67G (used to be G77)

Merc66G
03-04-2005, 04:49 PM
Those are some cool pictures! Who's got more? Hydros or Runabouts :D

Mark75H
03-04-2005, 05:10 PM
A picture I took at Millville, NJ a few years back. Gary Augustine:

Mark75H
03-04-2005, 05:47 PM
Dave Mason at Dayton:

jrome
03-05-2005, 07:49 PM
Here are some shots of Denny Henderson and others from Lone Star Boat Racing Association. During this era, we had some really great drivers. The likes of we will never see again.

hydroc888
03-05-2005, 08:27 PM
Great boatracers are still out there and some havent even been born yet. Do you really think that we were the best there will ever be? Yes we were, IF the sport dies. Do what you can to future the sport or let it die and we will be the greatest, You choose.

jrome
03-06-2005, 05:21 PM
Sounds like you might have taken what I said wrong. What I meant and I am sure others out there understand that there is not a Lone Star Boat Racing Association any more. We had at one time 10 to 12 races a year in Texas during the 1960s to 1970s. I do believe that there are great drivers today and eventually there will be other great drivers. I had years of fun from 1954 and on from participating in boat racing. Any body that knows me knows that I would never do anything negative to hurt boat racing. I invested a lot of years promoting and participating in this sport and I hope that the sport of boat racing will never die. I am very excited about this site and am trying to promote the sport by sharing some of the history that I have witnessed.

hydroc888
03-06-2005, 06:17 PM
Wasnt trying to say anything to try and offend anyone. Those were really great pictures and I would love to see more on this site. I was just trying to make the same point as you about what it use to be like and hope that it will continue on in the future. Like Ron says . We have a sport to save . Some are doing it by trying to get back old venues and some by telling about memories and sharing old pictures of times gone by for others to see. Please send more pictures and tell your stories. I would love to read them .

Master Oil Racing Team
03-07-2005, 09:34 AM
I understood what Joe meant, but there are a lot of people out there that didn't know about Lone Star Boat racing Association of the past. When I started racing Bruce Nicholson was about the only one that ventured out of Texas except for the N.O.A. Championships in Alexandria. LSBRA had its own rules, speed records, championsips events and annual convention for an awards banquet and rules changes. Many boats did not have the standard APBA or NOA lettering to designate the region. The letters stood for the various clubs such as Roland Pruett's BT-11 out of Baytown, Curtes Dumesnils PA-10 out of Port Arther, or Dan Waggoner's C-77 out of Corpus Christi. At that time 14 boats were allowed and the fields were always full in nearly every class. In fact there were more runabouts than hydros. I can see where Joe's point could be misunderstood, but I think this site of Ron and Ted's can help bring about more interest and promotion to help other clubs or regions to suffer the same fate as LSBRA. It has certainly led me to the darkroom to start digging up old photos.

Merc66G
03-07-2005, 01:48 PM
This was taken by a photographer of a local newspaper. Grandma was thrown out of the boat, Because the throttle stuck wide open going into a corner. Luckly she wasn't hurt seriously, but the boat continued WIDE OPEN! Did one complete flip landed right side up shut off and gently drifted into shore......AMAZING! This is the story I was told. Dad did I get it right?

Ron Hill
03-07-2005, 01:54 PM
I understood the post...There have been some great drivers, in small curcuits, that no one ever heard of.....Some, could never afford to travel...kids, jobs,...family...

Like Timmy Seebold told me, "I can't believe that my dad would drive all night, sleep in the car, to race a boat.".....I many respects, THERE NEVER will be racing like there WAS and there may really never be drivers like there were....

But as five, maybe six people said this last weekend...

As Ron say, "We've got a SPORT to save." This site, can be our OWN TV CHANNEL...BRF, along with others can bring boat Racing to unheard of levels....

That "DRIVERLESS" is classic...

Two quickies:

1. Who was G-67?
2. What kind of boat?

Merc66G
03-07-2005, 02:12 PM
This boat was a Bay Craft/C Raced by Marge Franck, she is in the women of racing section. It is really fun to look thru the photos of our familys history in Boat racing. It started in 1959 and is still going, hopefully the photos of dad and I are with us (IN) the boat. It's more fun that way! Here is one of the various 67-G's 44 merc

Ron Hill
03-07-2005, 03:26 PM
I thought it was a Bay Craft, but didn't think they got to Georgia...

Cool shots.

Kyle Lewis 93R
03-07-2005, 03:59 PM
Annie Thurman and myself attempting to propride our brand new A runabouts.

hydroc888
03-07-2005, 04:49 PM
I can see the caption . But it made weight when I started the race . I remember back in the 70s Dick Costa was running a runabout when he got tossed out in a turn . No one saw him go out and he hadnt hooked up his kill switch . The boat ran almost all the way to the next turn before it went over and everyone was frantically looking for Dick . Someone on shore with binocs saw him at the last turn waving and went out and got him . His buddys that were diving into the water later gave him a really good A-- chewing.
Moral . - Always hook up you kill switch . In out day it was a set of points with a piece of plastic tied to a string.

Merc66G
03-08-2005, 06:26 PM
Ron, I'm not sure if you meant the " G " stood for Georgia or not but it is Minnesota :D Both of those A Runabouts look good! I bet that was a fun race!

Ron Hill
03-08-2005, 08:50 PM
"G" is Minnesota...

Some days are like that, even in Australia...

Ok, what is Georgia???

"F" is Florida....

"C" is now all of California...which I like...never really liked NorCal as "O"...

Mark75H
03-08-2005, 09:31 PM
Georgia is split, but most of it is in F with Florida

Merc66G
03-08-2005, 09:52 PM
All of Georgia, Florida and Alabama are the letter F in APBA. Can you guys tell us which letters aren't used? hint there are only two ;)

Peter Crowley
03-09-2005, 05:23 AM
Along with todays great racers, we forget that there were some great drivers through the decades. People who worked hard and achieved a lot. Outboard racing started in the 20's and it is still done the same way: technology, experience, money and a lot of work! I hope it never changes... or dies!

John Schubert T*A*R*T
03-09-2005, 07:13 AM
All of Georgia, Florida and Alabama are the letter F in APBA. Can you guys tell us which letters aren't used? hint there are only two ;)
"I" & "U"

Master Oil Racing Team
03-09-2005, 09:00 AM
PRO National, Winona Minn. 1975

John Schubert T*A*R*T
03-09-2005, 09:07 AM
PRO National, Winona Minn. 1975
Wayne, bet you didn't know who that was? Me, driving Jim Goherty's "C" Yale with Pete Cruzan's modified 3 cylinder 49 c.i. OMC in F". This was during the eliminations, I think I finished 3rd but was disqualified for hitting a buoy. Yes, it was a handful.I actually drove 3 different rigs there attempting to qualify. Pete Hellsten's "A" Konig/Byer was leading for 2 1/2 laps then tank came loose, ran out of fuel. Also ran Trbeor Billiter's "B", Florida built boat copy of a Marchetti and lead from start to finish, but started prematurely.

pops67g
03-09-2005, 10:58 AM
The only two letters not used in boat numbers are I and O. U is used for Montana, Utah, Colorado and a couple of others.

Master Oil Racing Team
03-09-2005, 01:46 PM
John--you're full I surprises today. I had no idea that was you. I was just looking for boats with a little bounce. I have lots of B&W and color negatives as well as transparencies from the Eastern and Western Divisionals and the Nationals because I missed all but a couple of races that season. I stuffed my D hydro on Memorial Day in Baytown, Tx. I spent the rest of the season on the bank with my cameras.

We wanted to stay competitive so we hauled some of our stuff to the races for Tim Butts to drive. He won 250 hydro nationals with our boat. We told Charlie Bailey our C was faster than his, but he was familiar with his boat and stuck with it. He came out of the turn on the first lap but Bob Rhoades was faster and set a record. Charlie sheared a pin on lap two and couldn't get the prop off. He switched to my boat and led wire to wire matching the record Bob had set the previous heat. He was disqualified for switching boats but was later reinstated.

John Schubert T*A*R*T
03-09-2005, 02:06 PM
John--you're full I surprises today. I had no idea that was you. I was just looking for boats with a little bounce. I have lots of B&W and color negatives as well as transparencies from the Eastern and Western Divisionals and the Nationals because I missed all but a couple of races that season. I stuffed my D hydro on Memorial Day in Baytown, Tx. I spent the rest of the season on the bank with my cameras.

We wanted to stay competitive so we hauled some of our stuff to the races for Tim Butts to drive. He won 250 hydro nationals with our boat. We told Charlie Bailey our C was faster than his, but he was familiar with his boat and stuck with it. He came out of the turn on the first lap but Bob Rhoades was faster and set a record. Charlie sheared a pin on lap two and couldn't get the prop off. He switched to my boat and led wire to wire matching the record Bob had set the previous heat. He was disqualified for switching boats but was later reinstated.
Isn't that Mel Kirts on the left?

John Schubert T*A*R*T
03-09-2005, 02:11 PM
Wayne,

I took another look at that picture and while my quote was correct that I did drive that boat with the 3 cylinder OMC iin "F", I didn't have a bubble shield like that nor did I have a lifejacket like that. I had a Gentex 7 a clear bubble shield. Adfditionally, that is a Crescent which Jim Goherty drove himself in "C". One of O'Dea's built alky Crescent.

Dr. Thunder
03-09-2005, 05:28 PM
The only two letters not used in boat numbers are I and O. U is used for Montana, Utah, Colorado and a couple of others.

"I" I agree with ... but, isn't "O" still used for southern cal ... "C" for northern cal?

Mark75H
03-09-2005, 09:36 PM
What about X?

John Schubert T*A*R*T
03-10-2005, 05:55 AM
What about X?
Sam, isn't "X" Iowa ? Don't have my rule book here so can't check.

Peter Crowley
03-10-2005, 05:57 AM
X is for Iowa.... Probably the most popular Letter! Up this way it is used on every boat that needs a quick boat number using duct tape!

John Schubert T*A*R*T
03-10-2005, 06:05 AM
This is a test on my ability to post a picture with Wayne Baldwin's help. If this works, the picture is of the AOMCI meet in Constantine , MI 2 years ago. The picture is of my restored 1957 Sid-Craft Hydro, 1957 Sid-Craft "DU Hornet" reproduction with my version of a MK75H & a Switzer Baby Bullet reproduction by Leigh Furnal.

Master Oil Racing Team
03-10-2005, 02:27 PM
Cap'n goes down with his ship.

jrome
03-10-2005, 07:06 PM
John, help me identify three boats in picture. I think that I know who J4 is. :) Thanks for the help.

fred tyson
03-10-2005, 07:38 PM
the boat in the middle is Randy Johnson of Greensboro NC and his new at the time Marchetti Hydro,his number is Z-11

Merc66G
03-10-2005, 09:42 PM
Can anybody say meat in the sandwich! It looks like he will become the lucky winner of a FREE HOSE DOWN! :D There have been some really good pictures posted, let's keep'em going. I love to see them, can't wait till racing season begins....

Dan M
03-11-2005, 06:42 AM
Joe,

The V-9 boat was Homer Kincaid. He always wore that white jump suit when he drove. He always had us turn the boat around in the water and bring the nose right up to shore so that he could walk across the deck without getting wet. We'd spin him around, and off he'd go.

Dan

Master Oil Racing Team
03-11-2005, 07:59 AM
I came across these while looking for photos of Denny Henderson. The first is in Alexandria. The second, Springfield, Ill.

Jeff Lytle
03-11-2005, 08:57 AM
Ya' know Wayne? That pic from Alex got me thinking........Beautiful shot by the way, but it really is amazing the way we used to charge into corners and blast out like that at local races for an afternoon of glory, maybe a trophy, and $15.00, $10.00 and $5.00 prize money. Alot of the local races payed like that, and often had the nastiest duels like the picture you posted.

BTW:.......How come her knee's are clean and yours are dirty like that?? :D

Mike Schmidt
03-11-2005, 03:38 PM
John: Shot of you on the ouside in COH at Depue, bet it was Waldman's spray way out front. I don't remember Gohery having a Yale. I remember him having a Butts. Could that be one the Jersey Super C guys (Ike?) I remember one of them running Walts homemade A at the first Winona Nationals. I deck rode for Kruzon with OMC 3 holer in FRR. He and Fales had a bidding war on who I would ride with. I wish I was still that light.

Wayne: Great shots and stories. Please keep posting.

Michael D-1

Master Oil Racing Team
03-11-2005, 03:50 PM
Money can't buy a seat in either one of those cockpits. That's why we've all done that for the palrty sums out there.

BTW Jeff, if I'd of consulted you first I'd of cropped that picture a little better before I posted it.

John Schubert T*A*R*T
03-13-2005, 03:36 PM
John, help me identify three boats in picture. I think that I know who J4 is. :) Thanks for the help.
J-4 was me. Z-11 was Randy, a good friend as well as his dad & my dad. If in fact the inside boats number is V-9, it was Homer. However, I don't recall him driving at the 69 nationals. I think it is J-9, the late George Andrews, but don't ever remeber him at Depue. And yes Mike Jerry would have been out front as he won in 69, Chuck Mercier was 2nd with a Simon built Konig with 4 expansion chambers, Hering 3rd, me 4th and Jim Schoech(splg) driving for Quincy 5th. 4 out of the top 5 were Loopers.

Master Oil Racing Team
03-16-2005, 03:00 PM
John:

I been getting a little confused about DePue 1969-1972. I went through some old propellers and some drivers list for qualifying heats. According the the 1969 Propeller, you won COH. The order was

1 John Schubert
2 Homer Kincaid
3 Dan Kirts
4 Jerry Waldman
5 Rex Hall

You finished 4th in DOH, & 2nd behind Waldman in AOH

According to the 1972 Propeller COH results were as follows:

1 Fred Hauenstein
2 Billy Seebold
3 Dan Kirts
4 Jimmy Aderholdt
5 Jerry Waldman (who was 71 Champ)

Fred Hauenstein was not on the list so he was either defending champ or Western Division champ.

Take a look at the names and numbers on the first qualifying heat. There is you, George Andrews and Randy Johnson in that same heat. It looks like George more than Homer. Homer drives more upright & the driver looks a little heavier. I say that's the heat the photo was taken. Do you remember a blowover on the back straight, first lap. I think this was the heat. It was the only time I ever blew over in 17 years of racing.

I came out of the turn first and was way down the backstretch when I looked over my left shoulder to see who was chasing me. It was Billy Seebold on the inside. Just when I looked forward again, my Marchetti took off. I had no experience in bailing out, & as it climbed I thought it was too fast to jump. I looked down again & it was still too fast. The third time I looked down, I thought I was way too high to bail out. I was holding on to the steering wheel and throttle , the engine screaming, & the last thing I remember was thinking if I didn't turn loose of the throttle I was going to blow the engine.

I don't remember falling or hitting the water. I guessed I must have feinted from the height. When I came to I was up to my waste in mud, water to my shoulders, and only my neck and head out of the water. They tried pulling me in the safety boat, but I was stuck in the mud. One of the guys had to get in the water and push on me while the other pulled. When I got to the docks they were going to haul me in to check me out. Charles Bradley's dad offered to check me over, as he was a Doctor. The ambulance crew would have none of it until my dad intervened. So we got to go out to run the qualifying heat for BOH.

I think I qualified for B and I had won my heat of D, but the next two days of finals I was unable to move my neck from side to side or look down so we watched from the banks.

Mark75H
03-16-2005, 03:38 PM
Wayne, do you still live in Alice? Do you ever cross paths with Pete DeLactner? He is living somewhere there around Alice or Melissa.

John Schubert T*A*R*T
03-17-2005, 05:57 AM
John:

I been getting a little confused about DePue 1969-1972. I went through some old propellers and some drivers list for qualifying heats. According the the 1969 Propeller, you won COH. The order was

1 John Schubert
2 Homer Kincaid
3 Dan Kirts
4 Jerry Waldman
5 Rex Hall

You finished 4th in DOH, & 2nd behind Waldman in AOH

According to the 1972 Propeller COH results were as follows:

1 Fred Hauenstein
2 Billy Seebold
3 Dan Kirts
4 Jimmy Aderholdt
5 Jerry Waldman (who was 71 Champ)

Fred Hauenstein was not on the list so he was either defending champ or Western Division champ.

Take a look at the names and numbers on the first qualifying heat. There is you, George Andrews and Randy Johnson in that same heat. It looks like George more than Homer. Homer drives more upright & the driver looks a little heavier. I say that's the heat the photo was taken. Do you remember a blowover on the back straight, first lap. I think this was the heat. It was the only time I ever blew over in 17 years of racing.

I came out of the turn first and was way down the backstretch when I looked over my left shoulder to see who was chasing me. It was Billy Seebold on the inside. Just when I looked forward again, my Marchetti took off. I had no experience in bailing out, & as it climbed I thought it was too fast to jump. I looked down again & it was still too fast. The third time I looked down, I thought I was way too high to bail out. I was holding on to the steering wheel and throttle , the engine screaming, & the last thing I remember was thinking if I didn't turn loose of the throttle I was going to blow the engine.

I don't remember falling or hitting the water. I guessed I must have feinted from the height. When I came to I was up to my waste in mud, water to my shoulders, and only my neck and head out of the water. They tried pulling me in the safety boat, but I was stuck in the mud. One of the guys had to get in the water and push on me while the other pulled. When I got to the docks they were going to haul me in to check me out. Charles Bradley's dad offered to check me over, as he was a Doctor. The ambulance crew would have none of it until my dad intervened. So we got to go out to run the qualifying heat for BOH.

I think I qualified for B and I had won my heat of D, but the next two days of finals I was unable to move my neck from side to side or look down so we watched from the banks.
Very interesting. Didn't recall how I qualified, as I thought that I had won the divisionals, but now that I think about it I broke a shear pin at the Divisional so had to qualify at Depue. I assume that the lists ou provided were the qualifying heat finishes or just the entries? The other interesting thing is that Fred Hauenstein wasn't liated as a finisher in either heat. Hmmmm!

Master Oil Racing Team
03-17-2005, 09:24 PM
John:

I've been confused also. The posted copies were from the drivers meeting to show what heat everyone was in. You were in my heat, along with George and Randy. I remember Billy Seebold behind me when I blew over, but I didn't think it was 1972. I have another roster for qualifying from 1969, but it didn't match the results that Ann Strang had written for the Propeller.

I went into the darkroom today to sort out and put my Propellers in order and dig through some of the other stuff to figure it all out. When I look at the qualifying sheets I think....What am I doing here? That's an awesome bunch of drivers from those days.

If you are interested, I could post some more of those qualifying heats. There are more drivers that could win a nationals than were able to qualify.

John Schubert T*A*R*T
03-18-2005, 05:56 AM
John:

I've been confused also. The posted copies were from the drivers meeting to show what heat everyone was in. You were in my heat, along with George and Randy. I remember Billy Seebold behind me when I blew over, but I didn't think it was 1972. I have another roster for qualifying from 1969, but it didn't match the results that Ann Strang had written for the Propeller.

I went into the darkroom today to sort out and put my Propellers in order and dig through some of the other stuff to figure it all out. When I look at the qualifying sheets I think....What am I doing here? That's an awesome bunch of drivers from those days.

If you are interested, I could post some more of those qualifying heats. There are more drivers that could win a nationals than were able to qualify.
Post them, it's interesting reading for everyone. The above list was for 1969 as in 1970 I was defending champ. I did attempt to qualify the same rig in 1971, but I believe I only finished 4th in the heat which didn't make the cut. Konigs improved drstically between 1970 to 1971. Yet Waldman still had it!

Master Oil Racing Team
03-18-2005, 07:35 AM
John:

I have two lists. The partial one I posted was from 1972. Waldman is not on that list because he was killed in Hot Springs earlier that year. When I get back from Corpus I'll start working on it.

John Schubert T*A*R*T
03-18-2005, 09:11 AM
John:

I have two lists. The partial one I posted was from 1972. Waldman is not on that list because he was killed in Hot Springs earlier that year. When I get back from Corpus I'll start working on it.
Found these in my scrapbook

Master Oil Racing Team
03-18-2005, 02:12 PM
That was the year it was so hot & the water slick. I think it was Saturdays finals when the races were delayed a few times because the ambulance, both primary and standby were hauling people to the hospital. I didn't see the complete list of ARR, but if memory serves ( :confused: ) Jim Shoch and I think Jerry Simison went up and bumped together in the air on the front straightaway. Man, there were a lot of people at that event.

Can't send anymore stuff until I can figure out how to make my computer and scanner talk to each other again.

John Schubert T*A*R*T
03-18-2005, 02:22 PM
That was the year it was so hot & the water slick. I think it was Saturdays finals when the races were delayed a few times because the ambulance, both primary and standby were hauling people to the hospital. I didn't see the complete list of ARR, but if memory serves ( :confused: ) Jim Shoch and I think Jerry Simison went up and bumped together in the air on the front straightaway. Man, there were a lot of people at that event.

Can't send anymore stuff until I can figure out how to make my computer and scanner talk to each other again.
Yup, I now recall that incident. Jerry and I became good friends after that nationals as it is where I flipped in the first turn in COH prior to running the B. At first, while I was trying to figure out if I could race after seeing propellers over my head, sitting on the bank where the land jutted out, John Woods came over and provided inspiration. He said, just go out with your "B" and drive to win. I did just that. That evening Jerry came by my room at the Holiday Inn and we had a great chat about what had happened to him several years prior in a hydro. That's why he never got back in one. We stayed friends through the Winona nationals and a few years thereafter. You will recall that he quit after the nationals at Winona as he was DQ'ed by the turn judge for chopping someone, can't remember who. He got divorced, remarried and bought Pelican Lake Marine in Pelican Lake, MN. Visited him and his wife, had dinner then drove back to Fargo as I had an early meeting the next day. Have lost contact since. Not even sure if he still has the business.

Master Oil Racing Team
03-18-2005, 03:31 PM
I remember that. He thought they were wrong. Hated to see him quit. Maybe somebody can find him. His brother Paul has some excellent photos. He helped me a lot when I was first starting.

Master Oil Racing Team
03-18-2005, 04:41 PM
Sam:

I haven't lived in Alice since 1968. I now live about 150 yards off of Turn 4 at Lake Corpus Christi.

I haven't heard from Pete in years. I was thinking about him when I came across a photo the other day. I'm not sure where Melissa is. He lived a couple of miles from the race course at Marine Creek Lake near Fort Worth. You had to pass by his house on the way there. I thought he might be a good subject for Tomtall. He did stuff with high performance boating. I'm sure Ron knows him well. Long before me because I think he came to Texas from Arizona, or somewhere out west.

L-R Baldy Baldwin, Pete DeLackner

Mark75H
03-18-2005, 07:02 PM
You are right about Pete being from somewhere else. He originally lived in Connecticut, then CA and AZ before moving to Texas. He once started a club called California Arizona Nevada Outboard Enthusiasts ... CANOE. I think it was an OPC club.

Melissa is very near Alice (or maybe it was Anna ... or both) or so Pete tells me .... seeing your old Alice TX address is what made me ask. I have his phone number if you'd like it. Pete loves to talk boats & boat racing, I'm sure he'd enjoy hearing from you.

Do you have any pictures of Charlie Wicks and his race stuff? Charlie sold Pete a bunch of it some time ago, just before Charlie passed away. Pete talks about him a lot.

Ron Hill
03-18-2005, 07:24 PM
Great stuff Wayne..

Pete was like a good buddy...seemed much older than me, but we are close to the same age...I think he won Havasu in Single Engine class in like 1965...and in 1964 at Modesto he won the 36 Runabout Nationals with a Chrysler...tho they were called West Bends then...

I won "T" Class at the first, and maybe only APBA OPC C.A.N.O.E. race a Bullheda City...

California was big in OPC, but not APBA. Pete was a loyal supporter of APBA...

He started the Mustang Boat Company...Somewhere, I have some adds for Mustang...

Merc66G
03-18-2005, 09:09 PM
It is pretty neat to see those old driver lists. I'll have to ask my dad why he didn't run those races? I recognize some of those names as ones my dad and grandpa talk about.

Master Oil Racing Team
03-18-2005, 10:04 PM
He is a good one to talk to. Never ending subjects. Ron...your Mustang Boat Company comment was correct & I was going to look through my old Powerboats for an ad to send a post to Tomtall, but I got one maybe harder to figure out.

Photo: L-R

Pete DeLackner, Jack Chance, Baldy Baldwin & back side of Tommy Weatherbee. This was at my Dad's house directly across from where you have to back off to set up for the first turn.

John Schubert T*A*R*T
03-21-2005, 05:49 AM
I remember that. He thought they were wrong. Hated to see him quit. Maybe somebody can find him. His brother Paul has some excellent photos. He helped me a lot when I was first starting.
Good god! Where did that come from. I'm surprised you caught me with a smile. Teasing Jerry was probably the reason.

mercguy
03-21-2005, 08:01 AM
Sam, have you ran that Z-Craft you got from Pete yet????

Master Oil Racing Team
03-21-2005, 11:50 AM
Ron:

Here is that ad you mentioned.

Ron Hill
03-21-2005, 05:04 PM
My helmet was painted by Phil Nichols from Iowa...He had just moved out here with his family and brother, Dave. He said he could paint helmets...he did a great job, never charged a dime... My dad did do them many favors, though, too..

Pete DeLackner was always fun to talk to. Like you say, seemed knowledgible on many subjects...always had a smile for everyone...That ad is at Blue Water, where the Parker Racers are run...

That picture of me was in the 1966 Issue of Power Boat Magazine after I'd won CU and DU in the Marathon Nationals...

What would it take to get you back in a boat???

I hear Andy Hansen is back in A Runabout and building motors like crazy...even though, he flipped in Florida...and was sore as hell...he's coming on strong...

When Jim Schock blew over in A Runabout, at DePue, I was the 13th boat or first alternate for D Hydro...My boat was ready...Schock was at the hospital, I called the judges stand and said I wanted to race.....(I broke a propshaft in qualifying...)..They wouldn't let me run...O.F. Christener offered me Jim's D Hydro, the stand said, "No changes after drivers meeting and fired the gun..."

I asked the Commission Saturday Night, as in those days they ran 1/2 Sat and !/2 Sunday...and had a Commission Meeting Staurday night, "Why have an alternate?" They decide I should have been allowed to run... Actually, that was the straw that finished me...I had a nice OPC Boat that I could drive until I was exhausted.....I'd sold my runabout and I had people that wanted my engines....that was my last DePue...

I talked to Jerry Siminson, maybe ten years ago, still had the marina in Minnesota...but I recall his brother taking tons of pictures...

Jerry and Doctor Phil Wagner came to Dayton, Ohio with a new DeSilva 25 SS Runabout and ran the Dayton 25 Marathon...in 1974.....Last time I saw Jerry...

Keep posting, your stuff is amazing!!!!

Mark75H
03-21-2005, 05:14 PM
Sam, have you ran that Z-Craft you got from Pete yet????

Not yet, Darren. I need to flip it over and make sure Frank put the fin on straight and paint it.

Camden, NC April 23 should be my first race with it :) 9 feet of boat with 5 more feet of bow :confused:

Master Oil Racing Team
03-22-2005, 09:06 AM
Ron:

I was wondering how you disappeard so fast. I knew you raced tunnels, but here lately I've been wondering how you were there & then gone. Some of the other PRO drivers that went to OPC were crossing over in the beginning.

You know the thing with the referees, most of the time they do a bang up job but sometimes you wonder "what were they thinking?" Yeah--what's the point of an alternate. Maybe they were concerned with that smooth water and all those D's, they would prefer less than a full field.

Ray Hardy won the first heat of BOH in Winona in 1976, and conked out on the way to the pits. He tied on the the patrol boat, but had drifted sideways before they took off. The guys in the boat didn't know what they were doing and gunned the throttle flipping Ray over. Well, it took a while for them to get him back to the pits. Officials were anxious to get the races run and didn't give him enough time to get his engine dried out for the 2nd heat.

I always liked Dr. Phil Wagner. I spent a lot of good times with him and his wife Joanie. I dated her sister Anne Finkl in 1974 & 75.

As far as getting back in a boat--I've got one--A Galaxy with a V-8 Mercruiser. I spent my racing career hating big boats that made a wake, but I bought this boat just to do that. My daughter and I spend a lot of time just behind the transom riding the wake with my surfboard (no rope). A "do gooder" stopped me last weekend and said I was going to get killed doing that. I said I've been doing it since 1968 and haven't been killed yet.

Miss BK
03-22-2005, 09:37 AM
My daughter and I spend a lot of time just behind the transom riding the wake with my surfboard (no rope). .

:eek: :eek: :eek: Oh wow.

On the Colorado River, they lose at least 3 kids per year doing this same thing. One of those deaths was even caught on video - nobody expected it at all since they had been doing it for years. The dad even did it when he was a kid.

I really hate to be a downer, but the guy was just wanting you to avoid a potentially horrible situation. These parents in the story below are just devastated.

Video: Deadly warning for boaters
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/06/30/earlyshow/health/main626829.shtml

http://wwwimage.cbsnews.com/images/2004/07/01/image626972l.jpg

Ron Hill
03-22-2005, 12:24 PM
I frequently feel I see too many things in just ordinary things....but going back to "DISAPPEARING" from the PRO SCENE....

1. I got married in 1969. And had a real job, not really making millions.
2. I always considered myself a "STOCK RACER" and that was why I ran 19-C.
3. After buying the Konigs, my dad did some work to them, which helped their performance....but after seeing ZAK Stacks and all, all I could see was DOLLAR SIGNS...and honestly I didn't have the money to up date my equipment.
4. The speeds of the PRO BOATS SCARED me. I interviewed with AC for Jerry Waldman's job, a job I would have been offered, IF I'D QUIT BOAT RACING.
5. My OPC rides were going under 80 mph...They were free. We raced Paris, Berlin, Miami, New York, Havasu, Parker, Long Beach, Galveston, Chicago. My wife worked for the airlines, I could fly free. Evinrude paid my expenses. She went with me.
6. I started the prop business because my wife left for flights and was gone for a day or two...and going to bars without my wife didn't seem to make a lot of sense...so, I always loved props...it was a natural...Making props has been a profitable, at times, venture and usually enjoyable...
7. I returned to Stock Racing, after my daughter's birth, (1973) because I had a FAMILY and Stock Racing was FAMILY for me. I tried to give back to boat racing, what boat racing had given me. I was a Club Commodore, a Region Chairman, and later OPC Chairman.
8. On October 8, 1973 my daughter was born, the same day I was to be racing in Paris. The next year Scotti was killed there. I really retired from tunnel boat racing in 1973. But ran my Scotti for four or five more years, usually at Parker and Havasu only.
9. The V-8 scared the hell out of me, and the 13 or more deaths in V-8 proved my fears to be correct,

10. In 1978, Brad Milller, who owned Del Taco, 200 Mexican Restaurants wanted to win Parker. I had made him some good GN props. I had Brad buy and Evinrude and Molinari...With LUCK and Fred Hauenstein's motor work and Jim Nerstrom's tuning, we won Parker for Brad. Freddy went to work for Mercury, Brad and I switched to Mercury....but even with Freddy working there, Brad's money could not buy Fuel Injected motors...so, we quit tunnel racing....again, many factors. Brad caught on fire in his GN at Miami. He remarried, she liked horses....
11. Enter MOD VP...I think we gave MOD VP a ten year run. Dick Sherrer and I started it...MISS BK discusses reasons for the death of MOD VP........I discussed in the MOD VP FORUM. I TRUELY LOVE MOD VP, I was Evinrude, Johnson and Mercrury slugging it out...At one time I had five Evinrudes and two boats. We'd have 30 boats at a local race. http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43
12. My wife ran Mini Boats, basically until we had our baby, BROC, who is now 16.

13. Chad, my oldest, raced BMX until he was 9, then we raced J/A until he was 16, then went 45 racing.

13. In 1996, Chad ran Formula One. In 1997, we teamed with Jim Hauenstein for the Prop Tour. Jim was our REAL SPONSOR and he was killed in North Carolina.

14. We've just kind of cooled our heels, since my OPC Chairmanship and the APBA, I'll call problems...Chad and I had a 30 Cat, then a 27 Vee....Finally, he said, "I want a 45. There are 15 guys at every race." So, we're in to 45....

So, yes, I disappeared....my heart never left Boat Racing. The internet, to me is TV Racing 1955. Ocohee having 300 boat is no accident. I feel, though, we can't keep racing with three laps and clock starts....Times have changed.

The Series Formast is a change. ....Ok!!! At Bakersfield, Chad raced 56 laps, one boat and two days of racing. He hauls ***...70 MPH. Full capsule like FORMULA ONE RUNS....37 second course....(About the time they get out of control, they turn....The D Stock Hydros went around the same course 10 seconds faster....but who really wants to lay down, and run 85 mph on the straights???

I started BOATRACINGFACTS.COM with the goal of making it to the NRA of Power Boat Racing. Boat Racing Needs Leadership and it needs a voice. I learned years ago, in my classroom, that some of the least likely can become a leader.

If my wife has agreed to start racing again, I know there are hundreds out there that will also start and some will start again!!!

David Weaver
03-22-2005, 01:57 PM
[

[....but who really wants to lay down, and run 85 mph on the straights???

[/QUOTE]

Ron,

In the right boat and with the right competitors, going 85 mph (or even 95) ain't that bad laying down. Of course now that I am getting older, I no longer want to go a 100 mph!! And I am sure in several years, I might prefer 75 mph.

I saw a gentlman critically injured at 65-70mph in a capsule boat. I thought that every boat in that OPC class was impregnable. Turns out, that even a tough boat cannot overcome a poor decision by another driver........

I would like to see more "safety" energy spent on teaching drivers how to drive. Good decision making will lead to reduced injuries.

Mark75H
03-22-2005, 03:04 PM
Val, please go back and read that story in the link and then take a critical reread of Wayne's post.

Let me know if you don't see my problem.

-Sam

Ron Hill
03-22-2005, 07:59 PM
Harris, Val and my friend...had a place at Havasu...actually, Harris probably still does....Harris's neighbor drown his kid by pulling him when the kid was holding on to the swim step....(Filled the kids lungs with water, no jacket ...lost his 12 year old)...

I have family rules...at the river...you NEVER dive into the river without a jacket..100 plus degrees, to cold water hearts sometime stop..with a jacket, you float and never know you "DIED"...Learned this a bass Tournament years ago... Also, we, my family, daughter, son and wife..no Broc at the time, all dove out of the boat, with our jackets, damn wind came up and blew out boat up stream...we floated for more than a mile, before our boat "Caught up" with us...

Cliff Diving...evey year kids die, if they'd dive with a jacket and did a "Belley Flop" their jacket would float them...they "Belly Flop" no jacket and drown...

Val, wasn't pointing a finger...just pointing out that sometimes...stuff happens...

Hell, I almost killed my neighbor trying to Jet Ski....he had a jacket, he was just too heavy for the ski and jacket....

Chad, my son, almost killed himself blowing sand out of our water lines on our 30 footer...steam went down his throat and he ended up in the Havasu Hospital. You don't blow in plugged water lines of big block, 502 Chevy's...I know that now...

Miss BK
03-22-2005, 08:27 PM
There was quite a discussion on Offshore only a few years back about the transom exhaust after a someone passed out and drowned. I read the article I posted, and a man who lost his son said, "If someone would have told me how dangerous this was, I wouldn't have kept doing it".

That dad was angry that nobody spoke up. I sure didn't mean anything mean spirited by posting the link. I just knew what could (does) happen. Wayne said they play: "just behind the transom". That's right where the poison is. Just trying to help.

Miss BK
03-22-2005, 08:36 PM
Dang. Looks I posted the F150 stuff to the wrong thread.

I've moved it over to the "Mod-VP" thread now.

Sorry about that!

Master Oil Racing Team
03-23-2005, 07:37 AM
When the guy waved me over he said what we were doing (he called it a name, but I didn't get it) was dangerous. He said a lot of people had been killed doing it. I told him that I knew it was dangerous and that's why I don't teach anyone else how. I taught a surfer friend in the mid 70's, my daughter last year, and I was teaching her boyfriend that day.

Anyway I told the guy in the boat how easy it would be to get into the prop if you didn't know what you were doing. He told me "no, it's the danger from the exhaust fumes. You may be doing fine now, go to bed, then wake up in the morning dead." I kind of smiled and was polite & thanked him for the warning. He said he thought at first we were some wild and crazy kids & didn't know the dangers. I told him when I first started doing this in 1968 I was, & still know the dangers.

CO is not an issue in this case. First my boat exhausts under water. Secondly, in South Texas we almost always have wind & when we wake surf we are always moving. Also, no one is allowed on the platform, on top of the seats or the motor cover while under way. In the seats, sitting down only. We work with the deadly H2S in the oilfield. It doesn't take long for it to kill you at levels over 100ppm. At over 700ppm you go down instantly, and rescue people only have minutes to get you to fresh air. The effects are totally reversible if you are able to get fresh air into your lungs. CO is the same. If you were accumulating CO while wake surfing, you would lose your coordination and not be able to stay with the wake long before you would become sleepy or nauseous.

The real danger is the prop. I used to do it behind a 16' Larsen with an Evinrude 75. Not much wake so the nose of my board was ducktaped up from running into the transom. The big inboard allows us to stay back. BUT, it still requires a skilled driver (hand always on the throttle), a spotter to handle the rope & look for other boats( the driver has to monitor the surfer constantly), and the surfer has to know how to fall away. Besides the prop, there is a danger of getting tangled in the tow rope if you pull too much in and fall before you toss it in the boat.

I have never heard of anyone else but one guy doing this so I never thought much about the danger to anyone else. As long as it was under my control I figured nothing would happen. But miss BK's post hit home and I started thinking about other kids and parents that would watch me. Iv'e done it enough that I can pop up, catch the wake, throw the rope in the boat and surf for miles, including turns and going through wakes. It may look easy, but it can be difficult to learn. As we all know there are a lot of people on the water that don't have a clue to safe boating. I don't want some kid hurt because a parent tried to teach him/her how to wake surf. I decided I would confine my wake surfing to weekdays when no one else is on the water. I haven't ever seen anyone else try it, but it I wouldn't want anyone hurt. I told my neighbors son he would be my last student, but he is in college now so I think I can beg off.

Miss BK
03-23-2005, 08:53 AM
I'm glad you didn't see my post as a personal thing. Sorry if anyone did. What popped in my head when I read it was our discussion on OSO a while back. I was one of those that was amazed at how often this happens. So I wanted to let everyone know who might not have known. (like me)

And when you read the stories, most of the deaths weren't due to CO, it was due to the kids getting dizzy and falling into the water. They didn't have enough strength to swim or get back to the surface. Then they vanish into the depths within seconds. One girl said she was feeling sick, and was half way in the boat when she suddenly fell backwards back into the water. It was days before they found her.

Ron pointed out the solution to all those tragedies: Life jackets. If they had jackets on, these kids would probably have gone home with just a bad headache.

Anyway, I'm sorry I've got the thread off track....at first I had decided not to comment, but then I remembered what that grieving father said about nobody ever speaking up....

now...

:)

Back to hydros and runabouts!

Miss BK
03-23-2005, 09:06 AM
Does anyone have any pictures from Needles from the 70's? I've only got a few, since I had a really bad camera. My brother, Mike Longwell, raced there often and would love to see some of those. Brawley too.

Pop990
03-23-2005, 10:02 AM
We have Ed Lanes scrapbook. Let me know what to look for and I will post some of them. Bill

Miss BK
03-23-2005, 11:01 AM
You have his scrap book? That ought to hold some memories!

Here is a photo of our group from a race in Needles in 1977. This was my brother's 2nd year of racing and nearly won that day.

There's a very funny story that goes with this picture, and deals with Ron Hill. I'll have to start another thread to tell that whole story though. :) Whe I have more time I will...

PS This race was in February! But don't let the bikini's fool you - that water was COLD as ICE, and it bit you til your legs turned scarlet red.

Ron Hill
03-23-2005, 05:17 PM
Is that Ron Hill's head in the back row? Is that Doug Martin in the middle? Is that blond on the back row George Hill???

I remember Needles in February....Looks warm, but no way, Jose!!!!

Miss BK
03-23-2005, 05:25 PM
No all those people on the right are just my brother's friends who came down from Kingman to watch him race. They had never been to a boat race before, but this race was close enough for them to drop by and "help".

Ron Hill
03-23-2005, 07:24 PM
I was hoping it was me surrounded by all those WOMEN!!!!

The story about me ain't the time we ran "Prepration H" (Our green flat bottom) a ground up at Rainbo Beach....with Karon May aboard??? She's still mad about that...(We talked last September).....I reminded her, I wasn't driving...or drinking....but she wasn't watching the driver either...and he had been drinking...No, 1972...we ran that boat on shore before I was married....As I told Karon, we only went about 20 feet up the bank!!!!

How would you put a 1,000 bouy at Brawley...Eric Huhn wants to know...???

Miss BK
03-23-2005, 08:29 PM
Ok .. I finally finished typing a bunch of stuff for Fred Miller...so now I can tell the Needles story. :)

Ok..If you notice in the picture, the beach is wet and sloppy. That's because we are not on a beach ---- we are standing on a sand bar. That morning we got to the race site and there was this brand new, long sandy island about 150 feet from the shore. The racers could not get around it, and it was blocking the inlet, so we had to come up with something else.

So the race committee says that all we can do is drag our boats out to the sand bar. But that means our trailers are going to be inaccessable and WAYYYYY back there - and that water is very cold to try and run back and forth. (February)

My brother has all these "helpers" who came down for the race and each one is told to take something to haul out to the sand bar - prop, crate, wrench etc.

Well.... we get all the way out there and just before our heat is about to start - we realize: NO GAS CAN! And it's too late to run all the way back in hip-deep water back to the shore where our gas can sat.

That's when I look over and see Ron Hill standing on the sand bar -- and lo and behold ...there's a full gas can at his feet. I say "Ron! Can we borrow some of this gas?"

Ron says "Sure!"

So we quickly fill the tank and my brother takes off. He ends up running better than he ever has, and comes within 2/10ths of a second from capturing 1st place! (That's when my dad waded out into that cold water and snapped this picture of us.)

Later that afternoon, I go looking for Ron Hilll to thank him. Afterall, if it wasn't for his generosity, we would not have been able to run at all.

I find him and say, "Ron, thanks for letting us use your gas. How much do we owe you?"

Ron says, "Nothing. That wasn't my gas."

I say, "Then who's gas was it?"

Ron shrugs and says, "Heck if I know."

;) :D LOL

And that's why I have to laugh everytime I see this picture ;)

Joe J
03-23-2005, 08:30 PM
How would you put a 1,000 bouy at Brawley...Eric Huhn wants to know...???

What in the world do you need a 1000' buoy for?

Joe

Miss BK
03-23-2005, 08:36 PM
oh that reminds me...I've got some great pics of Joe from the 70's too. ;) I need to start scanning some more...

Master Oil Racing Team
03-23-2005, 09:32 PM
Miss BK:

Judging by the haircuts, that photo was after I raced in that area in 1969. I think in an earlier post Ron put up a photo with him, Kay Harrison and I had a different year. But, what I was wondering about was the sandbar. Do you call racing at Needles the same as us southerners call racing at Alexandria? We stayed at Alexandria, La. and crossed the Red River to the race course in Pineville, La. When I raced at Needles, we actually stayed at Needles and raced at Topock, Az. Is that a different race course?

The reason I was wondering was because I was trying to think back, and we pitted away from the main pits because there was no more room. Seems like we pitted on an island that resembled the sandbar. There were maybe a half dozen or more that pitted out there. Next to us on our left was Sid and Bob Viera and to our right I think was Jay Root. I can't remember if Kay Harrison was out there too, but I remember talking to him there in our pits. I can also remember it very hard to understand what was going on because the echo between the PA's was out of phase and the announcement coming from one speaker would be followed a fraction of a second behind the other.

Had a great time out there and the people were all very hospitable.

Ron Hill
03-23-2005, 10:04 PM
MissBK...

In those days, I guess as now, I was very nosey......I think I'd have known everyone's gas can.....and, I can't believe I didn't try to collect any money for ity, even if it wasn't mine!!! I was always "HUSTLING", then, as now!!...seems you are trying to butter me up for some reason!!!!!

FYI Out There: Needles is down river from Davis Dam...At night, or toward evening they (Needles and surrounding areas) use more power, so they let water out to generate electricity...So, the river comes up. During the night, people turn off their TV's and lights and sleep...(Use less power)..So, in the morning the river is LOW...

My brother always called the DAM MAN and got extra water for races.....but sometimes, it took and hour or so for the river to raise.....(On the morning of the race)...My brother actually got a long pretty well with the Dam Man...now and then, if a storm came along, though, the Dam Man would keep his DAM WATER...

Golden Shore Winternationals were held in a Bay at Topock...I thought it was one of the coolest courses in the world, because we had a five bouy first turn, decent straightaways, and a single pin for a second corner...but several things happened....sand settled in the bay, and the tree hugger types wouldn't allow dredging....even when the river was high, the damn toolies grew up and filled the bay.....

The REAL SAND BAR, where everyone goes and gets out of control, is down the river about 10 or miles from Topock, by boat or 25 miles as a crow flies...I try to avoid that place...too many naked women, ain't good for a old man's heart...but sometimes people make a man go there!!!! It was pretty calm there last time...it was a cool day, not very drunk out....I had my six L.A.P.D. "Body Guards" loking out for me!!!

Joe..1,000 foot bouy??? I thought this was a new rule!!! I was told that they thought this bouy contributed to the 25 SS Runabout crash...of which, I'm still sorting out....

Yea, all us people out west are pretty good people to "HANG WITH"....until the green flag drops....Really, people like MissBK are her "TEAM" always made the racing more fun....There were a group...in those days, mostly "FAMILIES"...we raced for trophies...and enjoyed the experience....We dreamed of "ROCK and ROLL" as Ritchey Valance said....But our "ROCK and Roll" was Ted May, the Youngers, Jimbo...The Dawes...The Hills...The Davidsons...The Martins..The Huhns...The Chambers...The Mayers and many, many more...

Miss BK
03-23-2005, 10:16 PM
Yes, this race was actually held in Needles. I can't quite remember where it was, but I do know we drove through downtown Needles to get there. In 1986 SCOA put on a race near that same place and invited the mini boats. (My first crash). It might have been even been the same spot, but with some dredgework. The course took us under the Needles bridge (not the I-40 bridge, but the one that leaves Needles toward Mohave Valley).

Topock is several miles further downstream from this location, and on the AZ side.

They also used to race in Bullhead City (40 miles upriver) but quit putting races on there about the time my brother started racing. I remember sitting high on a hill above the river watching the races when I was about 9. There is a strip mall there now. That spot is right across the river from Laughlin's Harrah's casino today. That's also the spot where I used to do all my testing.

They didn't race in that area of the Colorado River very often in the late 70's and 80's. Not sure why. Most of the races were much further south: Havasu/Parker/Big Bend.

Ron Hill
03-23-2005, 10:27 PM
FYI: Those Bullhead Races were Pete DeLackner's CANOE races..OPC, APBA....OPC was all WOA in those days Pete started APBA OPC with ...CANOE...(California, Arizona, Nevada, Outboard Enthusiasts)...

We did run a few SCOA races there, but controlling river traffic was difficult and the current was worse than Needles...If a man stalled, he'd be five miles down river before the heat was over.

Miss BK
03-23-2005, 10:37 PM
Wow! I didnt know those were Pete's races. I didn't meet Pete until the 90's in Texas - he used to stop by the shop in Kaufman and we'd spend HOURS talking boats. I wish I would have known....

Yes! That river current was a fury. That's where I learned how to put a boat on the trailer - you came in, heading into the current toward the ramp with a lot of throttle until the last minute. If you didn't, OH BOY!

Oh, and when I rolled in Needles in the south turn, the current was so fast that I was already downstream, heading for Topock before my head popped up. Amazing how strong it is there. Maybe that's why they didnt race there much... :rolleyes:

Miss BK
03-23-2005, 10:55 PM
Here are more pictures of the fun we used to have....Parker, 1978

The girl is my best friend from Kingman - Karen. She used to come with us to a lot of races and she LOVED it. She is a real estate developer in Kingman now. In the picture with her is Don Johnston (long before Arcadian). Karen had a "thing" for Don. That was fine with me, because Don had some very cute friends. ;) We did a lot of Go-cart racing and always had a blast.

Ron has met Karen before. I hadn't seen Karen in years and she decided to come to St Louis a couple of years ago for "old times sake". Unfortunately she was on crutches at the time. (St Louis + 95% humidity + crutches = miserable time). She didnt have much fun except for when Greg Foster let her hang out in his exotic hauler in the AC. Greg & his team are really great guys -they kept Karen from getting heat stroke. Thanks guys!

The photo at the bottom is my dear friend, the late Roger Johnson (527). A true gentleman. The kid in the green hat is our very own "Joe J" - who is ditto his dad. That's Don again, ready to push Ted's "Hell Cat" off the trailer. The hydro's in the foreground belong to the Nordskogs.

I have a bunch more pictures of this same weekend -- but it's late. I'll have to resume scanning later. :)

Miss BK
03-23-2005, 11:10 PM
I just remembered what Don was doing in that picture. He's got a magnet and is pulling chains out of the gas tank. He found about 3 of them -- I assume they were chains that kept the cap from getting lost. Just after this picture was snapped, Ted came over and gave him a scolding for leaving those things in there. Ted was always looking out for all of us "kids" so we called him "Uncle Ted" -- and it was always an honor to have Ted chew you out.

Joe J
03-24-2005, 08:02 AM
Val:

Does the picture of my dad and I have a date? I am guessing around 1980 or so........

Don couldn't be more than 17-18 at that time.

Joe

Miss BK
03-24-2005, 10:11 AM
Joe,
I think that's actually the weekend of Don's 18th birthday. They had a cake and ice cream party for him at the resort (I can't think of the name of that place..argh Near Buckskin fire dept) Then your Dad and Ted May used a saw to cut off Mike Nordskog's cast so the 4 of us kids could go race the go-carts that were across the highway. I am pretty sure this was 1978.
Hold on a sec....you weren't with us at the go-cart track...where were you ? I know your dad was there, because I remember seeing him with the saw. And to torment Mike, Ted was yelling, "STOP! I SEE BLOOD!"

:D

Joe J
03-24-2005, 10:16 AM
Go-Karts at Parker sound familiar, but that was a LONG time ago. I was probably there, since my dad was real good about taking me w/ him for stuff like that.

JJ

Miss BK
03-24-2005, 10:23 AM
Here's Mike Nordskog the morning after they cut off his cast. (And probably now wishing they hadn't!)

And the second shot is Karen again - She had gone out to help Don after a heat, and he climbed out and walked off! LOL She stood there for quite a while holding the boat - with the river current she couldn't let go and was there for at least 10 minutes. I thought that was pretty funny so I took her picture. She doesn't look too pleased. ;)

The date says May 20, 1978. This was not long after the Yamato 80's were introduced and they were everywhere. The class was called "B-Local" then.

Bunker Hill
09-15-2005, 01:41 PM
BK, Ron and everyone,
I remember that race well, my 1st in ASR!! Scott Davidson and Kieth Younger both jumped the gun, I was legal and won my 1st race!!
Hell yes that water is cold, later that day, Mark Preuss and Jeff Arnold gave me the Winning PLUNGE!! somewhere, I still have the photo!!
Bunker

Miss BK
12-13-2007, 09:43 AM
Found this old thread in "Technical discussion"
Not sure why it's over there....

Since there are pages of great shots, I felt like it was a good time to "bump" it up! Enjoy!

RogerH
12-29-2007, 06:48 PM
Thanks for "bumping" this. Great to read. I noticed that John & others were asking about Pete DeLanckner. I'd like to hear from him, as I have his C-7 TerrilCraft and want to ask about what motors were run on that boat. Pete, please contact me if you read this.
Thanks,
Roger

(Roger Hinsdale - Spring City, TN, 423-452-0428 or eMail me at hinsdale@bellsouth.net)

Master Oil Racing Team
12-29-2007, 08:16 PM
The last time I talked to Pete was at the Lone Star Reunion. I had bugged him repeatedly about getting a computer and he assured me his daughter would help teach him. Enough time has passed. Pete does a lot of traveling so it may be a week or two before I catch up with him, but I will see how he is progressing and try to get an answer for you.

And I don't know how it got on this category either, but thanks Val for bumping it.

Ron Hill
09-12-2008, 07:37 PM
I know the season is over, but I have Signature Props for GT PRO for next year.....10 X 17 three blade cleaver......