PDA

View Full Version : Minimax a better return than a mutual fund

Charlie 13
12-06-2007, 03:41 PM
How can a kid that has spent most of his life in front of TV or computer have this much fun. "Build it they will come"
"Go the last mile" It was fun watching Charlie ( The smaller one with the yellow boat with number 13 on it and a Merc hanging on the back ) going for his first ride. Helmet on, life jacket, grin, too big of a smile. Ah, yes, to do it all over again. Bruce had the first ride as he was the biggest time investor, Charlie (little one) the second, with hours spent not in front of the TV, but learning new skills and building something from bits and pieces. Father John
(not a preacher) the cash investor the third ride. Then back to Charlie (little 1) He kept going and going and going, I didn't think a gallon of gas could go that far.
Everyone keep coming in with a grin on their faces. sure made my day.
Well it was all over, or so I thought. They were all looking at me, What! "Well aren't you going for a ride?"
Ok, look, I have raced boats, big ones with six cylinders that the primer ball would run this boat for a week, hydros, runabouts, all sorts of stuff. This was what I was thinking but when someone offers you a ride on his Moped you don't turn it down, but you don't want your friends to know or any photographs to be used later when you become Prime minister.
I said "No" a couple of times, but gave in . Wooooow.
I started giggling as soon as it got on a plane, head on the water in the first left turn, butt on the transom for the straight then into a fast sweeping left. It felt like Christmas, you know the one where you get sox, underware, and the Roy Rogers outfit.
It turned left, right, floated, and didn't bounce the first time out of the box.
I did have a problem as I came back to the dock, I couldn't get my lips to cover my teeth.
Well Charlie (LTL 1) Took the boat to the cottage and was a hit with all the kids on the lake, everyone including Mom took the boat for a ride and are now waiting for winter to get over so they can again flash their teeth everywhere they go.
I need another Yellow boat.
Charlie #13

Mark75H
12-06-2007, 05:07 PM
We are getting ready to combine all the Minimax subject threads into one.

When you are on the same subject, the "reply" button is a better choice than the "create new thread" button :)

Charlie 13
12-06-2007, 06:48 PM
When your old it's hard to learn new tricks.
Thanks for your help.
Yellow boat guy

mercguy
12-06-2007, 08:24 PM
When your old it's hard to learn new tricks.
Thanks for your help.
Yellow boat guy

what kind of runabout is that in your avatar picture with the Yamato 302?

Mark75H
12-06-2007, 08:26 PM
I think you are doing great :)

Jeff Lytle
12-06-2007, 08:51 PM
Just another word of advice...........Invest in a Keller, Williams, or Quincy dead mans throttle. You can find them on EBay from time to time, or go here:http://www.portagebaysystems.com/marine/products2.htm

Well worth the $$, kill switch or not.

Andrew 4CE
12-07-2007, 06:30 AM
That's cool Charlie!! Glad you're having fun! Haven't heard from you in a while! Glad to see you still have the bug, be it cottage or racing doesn't matter.

Oh and Charlie, if you haven't found it yet... check out www.muskokaseaflea.ca

PS - Do you buy yellow paint by the drum or something?! haha.

Charlie 13
12-07-2007, 02:10 PM
Hi Daren, to answer your question the runabout was built originaly by Matt Arlt near Kingston,Ontario. It was built for Gerald Pemberton. Matt has built many hydros in carbon fiber and has also built a carbon runabout for Gerald. This boat is built of foam and fiberglass with epoxy. There is another one in Ontario.
I bought it Nov 2003 and as always I can't leave anything alone. I removed the cockpit sides, made the side decks wider and tapered the cockpit to a narrower transom.
Ihave a trick method of getting a flat bottom on my boats.
The boat weight was 146.5 lbs when I got it, I removed the fairing and many layers of paint all the hardware and had it down to 96.5 lbs.
The C runabout class was 475 lbs, the Gear I wear is 17 lbs The 302 weight was 91 and 2 for the prop and shear pin. I weigh 199 in an wrinkled birthday suit, so it left 166 lbs to meet min weight.
I layed up carbon fiber cockpit sides and did the bottom in Kevlar. With hardware and yellow paint it came to 163 lbs. I put a foam and glass baffeled water tank in the bow so I can add 14 lb if I want through a couple of hoses at the steering station.
It is a flat turner and smokes.
Charlie

Allen J. Lang
12-07-2007, 09:05 PM
Charlie- Looks like you did a great job.Boat looks great running. Give your competitors fits? :p
Ye Olde Desert Geezer Al :cool:

mercguy
12-07-2007, 09:06 PM
Hi Daren, to answer your question the runabout was built originaly by Matt Arlt near Kingston,Ontario. It was built for Gerald Pemberton. Matt has built many hydros in carbon fiber and has also built a carbon runabout for Gerald. This boat is built of foam and fiberglass with epoxy. There is another one in Ontario.
I bought it Nov 2003 and as always I can't leave anything alone. I removed the cockpit sides, made the side decks wider and tapered the cockpit to a narrower transom.
Ihave a trick method of getting a flat bottom on my boats.
The boat weight was 146.5 lbs when I got it, I removed the fairing and many layers of paint all the hardware and had it down to 96.5 lbs.
The C runabout class was 475 lbs, the Gear I wear is 17 lbs The 302 weight was 91 and 2 for the prop and shear pin. I weigh 199 in an wrinkled birthday suit, so it left 166 lbs to meet min weight.
I layed up carbon fiber cockpit sides and did the bottom in Kevlar. With hardware and yellow paint it came to 163 lbs. I put a foam and glass baffeled water tank in the bow so I can add 14 lb if I want through a couple of hoses at the steering station.
It is a flat turner and smokes.
Charlie

thanks for the info Charlie. I know all of the above guys you mentioned. I too race CSR and now have a new Runnecraft.........

funy seeing the first picture you posted here with Dean Sutherlands old CSR (Bennett built). I wanted that boat 5yrs ago when he had it out in Cali for the Stock Nat's.....nice boat.

you mods look good...........

here is my Runne PRIOIR to painting a month ago.......

Charlie 13
12-08-2007, 07:46 AM
I have wanted a Runne from the first time I saw one.
It's like they take a center fold out of Playboy and pin it to a wall. Then they stand back and say " Let's build a boat that just looks like that. "
Both their hydros and runabouts for me just look perrrrrrfect.
The only trouble is I would hate to paint over the lumber so I would have to find some yellow Alaskin pine or yellow burch.
Owned by a yellow boat, Charlie.