PDA

View Full Version : First Three Cyclinder Evinrude

Ron Hill
12-09-2007, 05:00 PM
I'm going to say this picture is from 1969. While testing for Evinrude at Havasu Springs, Ray Nydahl and I were discussing the new Evinrude three cyclinder. Mr. Leek got quite mad about it, as if I wasn't supposed to know OMC SECRETS, Ray also got mad and actually QUIT OMC over that conversation.

Anyway, when I got home from Havasu Springs, I called Jimmy Jost, Public Relations manager at Evinrude and he had me call Edgar Rose, VP of Engineering at OMC. Within a week a three cyclinder powerhead showed up at my dad's.

Capnzee (Rod Zapf) and my dad adapted it to an Evinrude 60-42 mid section and MY Konig foot...They only tested it one time, at Spring Valley Lake, near Apple Valley, California. The motor had a high speed miss....and Evinrude was making changes on the newer motors...And it was slower than Rod's F and my Konig....Anyway, not sure what happened to this motor, but ran across the picture today...Thought maybe Fast Fred might like it....

Michael J Gwaltney
12-09-2007, 08:41 PM
I'm going to say this picture is from 1969. While testing for Evinrude at Havasu Springs, Ray Nydahl and I were discussing the new Evinrude three cyclinder. Mr. Leek got quite mad about it, as if I wasn't supposed to know OMC SECRETS, Ray also got mad and actually QUIT OMC over that conversation.

Anyway, when I got home from Havasu Springs, I called Jimmy Jost, Public Relations manager at Evinrude and he had me call Edgar Rose, VP of Engineering at OMC. Within a week a three cyclinder powerhead showed up at my dad's.

Capnzee (Rod Zapf) and my dad adapted it to an Evinrude 60-42 mid section and MY Konig foot...They only tested it one time, at Spring Valley Lake, near Apple Valley, California. The motor had a high speed miss....and Evinrude was making changes on the newer motors...And it was slower than Rod's F and my Konig....Anyway, not sure what happened to this motor, but ran across the picture today...Thought maybe Fast Fred might like it....
Ron, I think the year of your photo was 1967. The "TR" started production in the fall of 1967. The three cylinder eventually became one of the best engines OMC built and my favorite was the 65 HP.
The 55HP was a real learning curve for OMC. The air silencer drew air from a hole in the lower motor cover. On twin installations on boats with a deep motor well it was a megaphone for "reed" noise. Fishermen down south also discovered it would draw mosquitos and critters into the carbs when running at night.
Of course it was much lighter than V4's and with thru-propeller exhaust and Henrich propellers it was much faster. The propshaft bearing carrier had an open area that must be installed "UP" for exhaust to flow through. One of the "tricks" at Johnson Service school was to rotate bearing carrier slightly to restrict the exhaust. The carburetor high speed nozzles would pour out fuel and motor would not develope power. Anyone who ever mis-assembled a hydro-electric bearing housing on 3 Cyl. or V4 knows about it.
I have heard about the story with Ray. It was always a bit of a challenge to keep from discussing motor developments especially back then when it took a couple of years to develope new models. Quite an education is all I will say.

Skoontz
12-09-2007, 11:24 PM
Inquiring minds want to know..... and maybe Paul Christner can chime in if it's ok....

Was Quincy racing contracted to do some of the intial development for OMC on the first looper? I remember the first one I ever saw, painted dark green, we mounted it on a 15' Caravelle tri hul that was painted a beige color...The thing ran great and only went through 10 gallons of fuel a day. I think top speed with a stainless prop was about 40.

Fast Fred
12-10-2007, 08:20 AM
;), i gots one, in stock dress, 15", the one i got is a OMC Triumph 55hp, stock, stock, never been messed with.:cool:

Fast Fred
12-10-2007, 03:57 PM
http://aycu29.webshots.com/image/37028/2005277107889619833_rs.jpg (http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2005277107889619833)
http://aycu33.webshots.com/image/35072/2004955015850451265_rs.jpg (http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2004955015850451265)

Mark40H
12-11-2007, 11:26 AM
In answer to SKOONTZ question about Quincy Welding having anything to do with the first 3 cylinder OMC. I had a call from Paul Christner this morning - just our usual BS. I asked him about the 3 cylinder OMC and he told me he did not have anything to do with it. But yes, his dad, O.F. did do a lot of R&D work for OMC that was pretty much undercover as they were actually a Mercury dealer.

At this time period I worked for Churchill Trucklines here in Quincy. Churchill hauled a lot of freight for OMC. There was a pattern company here in Quincy called Central Pattern. They also did a lot of work for OMC as well as Quincy Welding.

The reason I bring this up is that I remember delivering many packages from OMC to both Quincy Welding and Central Pattern. A friend of mine worked at Central Pattern and I remember asking him what they were making for OMC. At that time he told me they were working up a pattern for a 3 cylinder motor. It was not long after I delivered a box to QUincy Welding. Being nosy, I asked the receiving clerk, Mark, what they were getting from OMC. He said he didn't know but he said he would open it and we could see. Needless to say there was a raw 3 cylinder OMC block in there.

Most everyone who has been around racing knows about Quincy Welding and the engines O.F. Christner designed and built. Not everyone knows about all the R&D work he did in the back room for both Mercury and OMC. There was also an off-limits area at the north end of the shop. To get to it, you had to lower a set of steps. Not just everyone had access to this area. I was lucky enough to get to see this area a couple of times. You would not have believed all the different motors that were up there. Konigs, PR Johnsons, Crescents, Anzanis, and Mercuries that I had never seen before.

For those of us who grew up in the 50's and 60's, it truly was a wonderful time to be around boat racing. I grew up just two blocks from the Quincy Welding shop and got to know most of the wonderful people who worked there. I consider it an honor to have known O.F. Chrsitner.

Roy Hodges
12-12-2007, 04:32 PM
They all came with ignition points (55 h.P.)

Bill Gohr
12-12-2007, 06:29 PM
3 bangers didn't get cdi till 72'

Roy Hodges
12-12-2007, 06:54 PM
3 bangers didn't get cdi till 72'............................
.................................................. .................................................. .....................................
They had cd ignition in the first 55 horse , but, I think the first WITHOUT points was the 1972 65 horse . it was ,(the 1972 ) i believe, same ignition as my 1975 75 horse
Evinrude hustler.

mercmack
12-12-2007, 07:10 PM
Bill Is Right The First Ones Had Whats Called Battery Cd, And The Point Gap Was .010 Or Seven Clicks From Closed...and When On Set Would Get Would Loose Its Gap It Would Drive Al Lot Of People Nuts Tring To Figure Out Why It Had Spark On Two Or One Cyl ...first Ones: Had A Round Rubbler Dish In The System, The Slitest Split And It Would Loose Facumn And Would'd Have 12v This Too Would Drive People Nut Too.:d:d

Michael J Gwaltney
12-13-2007, 02:08 PM
Three types of CD Ignition: Battery CD, Magneto CD, CD-3.

"Battery CD" was used on early 55-60hp. They have one coil on the amplifier bracket and spark plugs leads coming from under flywheel.

"Mag CD" 1972-77 had three coils, aluminum power pack with cover.

CD-3 1978 and later had three coils, epoxy coated power pack.

Lot's of 55-60's still running but they just don't perform like newer models. Before you "dink" with them you need someone familiar with the Hydro-Electric shift system. Too much information, sorry.

mercmack
12-13-2007, 03:50 PM
Hay Mic How Many Gray Hairs Do You Have???,,,the Young Kids Dont Get To See The Old Stuff, For Most Big Dealers Dont Want To Work On The "old Stuff" ...there Idea Is 10 Years And Newer..:d:d
Being Retired Here In Utah..back Here In The Hills That All There Is Is The "old Stuff"...i Do It Part Time At A Atv Shop In A Small Town , (heber City)...it Payes For My E-bay Stuff...now Thats Its Snowing, I Pay With My (ebay Old Stuff)

12-13-2007, 08:00 PM
I believe that all 1968-1972 55HP, 60HP and the 1972 65 HP had CDI with points, so did the 1968-1972 85 HP v-4's. The 1967-68, 1971-72 100HP, 1969-70 115 HP and the 1971-72 125 HP had CDI without points. The 1967 100 HP had a belt driven Dist., the rest where under the flywheel. In 1973 the three cylinder, all v-4 and the snowmobiles went to the new Mag Flash CDI, the only outboard that used the Mag flash CDI was the new 50 HP twin. This is the way that my 66 year old mind recalls it, but then again I have trouble with birthdays so who knows.

Bill Gohr
12-14-2007, 06:49 AM
Well 194, you need to read Mike's post it is correct.

12-14-2007, 08:23 AM
Please understand that I did read Mike's comments, I read it several times. I was only stating what I remembered from when I worked at Evinrude (1968-late 1973). I only recall the 1972 50HP twin with Mag Flash ign. and it also had electric shift. Since you say that Mike is right and he most likely is, you will have no argument with me, Just PLEASE don't question my reading skills.

Michael J Gwaltney
12-14-2007, 10:01 AM
Hay Mic How Many Gray Hairs Do You Have???,,,the Young Kids Dont Get To See The Old Stuff, For Most Big Dealers Dont Want To Work On The "old Stuff" ...there Idea Is 10 Years And Newer..:d:d
Being Retired Here In Utah..back Here In The Hills That All There Is Is The "old Stuff"...i Do It Part Time At A Atv Shop In A Small Town , (heber City)...it Payes For My E-bay Stuff...now Thats Its Snowing, I Pay With My (ebay Old Stuff)
Mercmack: Anyone who lived in OMC Battery CD times must be growing gray. Young tech's trying to make a living today should avoid the old iron. Mike

Michael J Gwaltney
12-14-2007, 10:11 AM
Well 194, you need to read Mike's post it is correct.
Bill: It must be cold most everywhere to generate this much discussion about 40 year old outboards. Mike

Bill Gohr
12-14-2007, 12:21 PM
People have definately run out of things to talk about..................

arcticracer
12-14-2007, 09:36 PM
That engine was one of the all time greatest 2 stroke outboards. One of my faves. Not specifically talking about racing engines, but yes they found their way into racing.

Years back, the 50 ci. triple was allowed to race in the Yukon 800 up here in Alaska, but it was banned eventually as the boats were getting too fast. They changed rules to outlaw the OMC, and favor the new Yamaha 50 which is about 45.3 or so. Even so, the boats now are running close to 80 mph under certain ideal conditions, hate to think what they could do with an OMC now!

I think the highly successful Yamaha triples that have been on the market for many years now were reverse engineered by our Japanese friends, from....... guess what?

RichardKCMo
12-14-2007, 11:24 PM
What's the diff. in omc 3s, besides ign. and so forth, in other words what do mod. racers look for.??

RichardKCMo

smittythewelder
12-17-2007, 01:18 PM
That first 55hp had only two transfer ports, and it had odd, hat-shaped combustion pockets with swirl-grooves leading into the pockets. Later versions added a third transfer port, or great big boost port depending on your terminology, and had normal looper combustion chambers, oh and they changed from domed to flat-top pistons with longer, stronger rods. Jim Hallum, who was known to some of the bigs at OMC, and who was an OMC mechanic, got one of the second-generation powerheads and hopped it up with porting and oversized carbs and reedblocks for Gerry Walin to use in FOH, a year or so before Gerry got hurt. Among those who have built fast Evinrude triples in more recent years was Gary Hanson of Seattle, whose FRR DeSilva streamliner performed the most violent flip I ever saw, a longitudinal snap-roll that happened in an eye-blink. Amazingly, Gary was unhurt, and considered it just another dunking.

Smokin' Joe
03-29-2008, 01:32 PM
Held APBA EP straightaway record at 70.560 mph. until class was defunct after 1985. Record boat was not as fast as the one shown, was an XR-14 Allison instead of the modified older 13' model in the photo. Would run 67 mph. (speed shown in photo via radar gun, 1983 at Alexandria, La.) set up for closed course.

billy-jay
04-18-2008, 05:45 PM
Back in the eighties I ran a 75 Evinrude on a 13ft Delta and later a 13ft tunnel top Critchfield in EP and back then I was really impressed with that 70.56 at 840 lbs in fact Im still impressed today...that was quite an accomplishment...and the record still stands...Congrats

sheuninck
04-19-2008, 05:16 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41b49FieyR8

Smokin' Joe
04-27-2008, 11:30 AM
Then we probably crossed paths.

Back in the eighties I ran a 75 Evinrude on a 13ft Delta and later a 13ft tunnel top Critchfield in EP and back then I was really impressed with that 70.56 at 840 lbs in fact Im still impressed today...that was quite an accomplishment...and the record still stands...Congrats

phillnjack
07-04-2012, 04:12 AM
I know this is an old topic to drag up (no -pun intended)

but ive just joined and i find this brilliant topic to read.
Info on the early 3cyl omc engines is great.

Real racers going very fast.

there must a be a lot more guys out there who raced these engines.

phill...:)

sheuninck
07-04-2012, 07:33 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlCYGAYHi-4&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wTknE3-RGM

boatmark59
07-05-2012, 02:18 PM
I know this is an old topic to drag up (no -pun intended)

but ive just joined and i find this brilliant topic to read.
Info on the early 3cyl omc engines is great.

Real racers going very fast.

there must a be a lot more guys out there who raced these engines.

phill...:)

I did ! !
EP was a great class in the 70's / 80's where I was in Ft. Lauderdale.
You could race 10-12 weekend a year and never travel more than 4 hours from home. And always have an 8-10 boat field.
Add in going out of state to the two nationals, and it was a great thing. I miss those days.
My dad says he used to budget $100 expenses for a race weekend. Now that would barely buy a tank of gas for the van.

Steve Pinson
07-06-2012, 10:57 AM
I can remember in 1975 at the Omc plant in Brugge Belgium watching a uk driver named John Hill practising for a race driving a Burgess cat with a 3cyl engine at 100 mph?

phillnjack
07-06-2012, 12:52 PM
100mph wow

that aint hanging around at all.

i dont think i fancy doing 100 in a small boat, infact 100 in a big boat would be terrifying im sure.

The thing i like about the 50's 60's and 70's racers is they were such pioneer's.

today a lot of stuff is done on simulators and computers before the drivers of the latest stuff get anywhere near them.

Plus an old van with a bag of spanners is not exactly whats seen in the pits now days.

phill

Popa Sam
07-07-2012, 06:27 AM
Larry Davis of Hinesville, Georgia held the NOA record in the 40-70 V class with a speed just over 86 mph. He was running a 13' Critchfield with 49 cu in three cylinder OMC. He was on BRF at one time.

tumblweed9999
10-09-2012, 01:54 AM
Interesting stuff fella's....Enjoy reading about this stuff. I just retired a 1972 Evinrude 65hp " Triumph". everything still works. She stayed in Lake Minocqua. :) Huber bay. The motor endured 2 boats, lots of skiing, fishing, stumps, etc.. My Uncle had it since new. He died, I got it in 1996. Never been apart except for the electric shift deal in Lower unit to that point. 2002 rod knock...ended up getting a New used crank, updated cage bearings... .rehoned-reringed it. Got 9 more years out of it. I had the power head completely apart. had the flywheel off. No points there. Never put points in it. The power pack failed one year. I used the serial and model# to order. He was surprised it had no points, he said," Oh its got CDI...maybe its not as old as I thought" or something....He mentioned points on some earlier models. I remember being sold the wrong set of points on a 1968ish 20 Merc. I thought i was losing my mind!!!! I finally cleaned and reinstalled the old ones and it ran fine! DoH!!!!

I believe that all 1968-1972 55HP, 60HP and the 1972 65 HP had CDI with points, so did the 1968-1972 85 HP v-4's. The 1967-68, 1971-72 100HP, 1969-70 115 HP and the 1971-72 125 HP had CDI without points. The 1967 100 HP had a belt driven Dist., the rest where under the flywheel. In 1973 the three cylinder, all v-4 and the snowmobiles went to the new Mag Flash CDI, the only outboard that used the Mag flash CDI was the new 50 HP twin. This is the way that my 66 year old mind recalls it, but then again I have trouble with birthdays so who knows.

sabine river killer
10-10-2012, 06:29 AM
Larry Davis of Hinesville, Georgia held the NOA record in the 40-70 V class with a speed just over 86 mph. He was running a 13' Critchfield with 49 cu in three cylinder OMC. He was on BRF at one time.

i know this thread has got off topic does anyone know how to contact larry davis is he still with us i want to know more about this run rpm prop gear ratio i do not see any info on the aof site and info found on the internet

ima75man
10-10-2012, 06:52 PM
back in the day,i think everyone was about 10 to 15 mph faster than the 500 lb. gps we run today..

Rotary John
10-11-2012, 02:35 AM

Sorry Ron but Si Metcaf was VP in ;69. Edgar wasn't part of the management team, he was just Strangs buddy. Not much good for anything else. I worked for Edgar in '69 developing a vicosity independent carb.