PDA

View Full Version : DSR Kilo Record

arcticracer
01-02-2008, 08:28 PM
I am curious about another "amazing" Stock Outboard record that is posted on the APBA website, that of Lloyd Mize in DSR Kilo. It is mind boggling to me to see a record of almost 90 MPH in DSR. What was the general setup he used, etc. I know Darrell built some specialized Kilo boats but don't have any knowledge of them. Was there another D engine used in those days other than the 55H? It is almost as amazing that the DSH record is only a hair higher, still great speed. Pictures anyone?

89.38 MPH

Class 06050 - DSR Sunday, March 20, 1988 Record Type KILO
Location WATERFORD, CA Driver LLOYD MIZE Owner L. MIZE & J. DAWE
Boat BULLET Hull Type SORENSEN Engine MERCURY

Mark75H
01-02-2008, 09:00 PM
44 cubic inch Merc 44xs ... a little bigger and more powerful than the 55H

arcticracer
01-02-2008, 11:36 PM
Thanks Sam:

I did not realize that the 44XS ran in D, thought it was a separate class. F-A-S-T records indeed, and almost 20 years old.

afterplane
01-03-2008, 12:36 AM
Lloyd Mize is a master set-up man. He has logged more kilo runs than just
about anyone. He very quickly figured out how to make a 44xs go fast through the traps-run a big enough wheel that pulls at about 6200 rpm's.
He did that only about 2 years after the 44xs came out.

CSR4C
01-03-2008, 09:21 AM
Two of the boats Lloyd used for kilo records were the ones I built for Davidson's. Davidson's took the two boats A-B runabout & C-D runabout to Parker Kilos and rewrote the record book in one weekend (13 broken records).
After Davidson's retired from racing, Lloyd Mize bought them. Lloyd, a man of few words, told me that he was having problems with the C-D boat. When he took the speedometer pickup tube off the didn't handle well. I told him just leave it in, he was only running it about an inch deep. A couple years before using the 44SX he had a return run at Modesto of around 90 mph with a 55H. The officals disallowed it as it had to be a timing mistake. Lloyd discribed the run to me: He said the boat felt slow and the speedometer quit working, but when the slowed down the speedometer jumped up to around 90mph for an instant.
Lloyd borrowed Jimmy Dawe's 44SX, repeated what he did with the 55H and the record went in the books.
Darrell

CSR4C
01-03-2008, 09:31 AM
Another time at the Modesto kilos Lloyd set the C Mod Runabout record with a 30H, his next run was with a Hot Rod on his B boat and it broke down clear at the other end of the course. His next run was going to be C Stock Runabout, using the same 30H, so I started helping him by taking the pipes off and closing it up for stock. When Lloyd got back from being towed in, he looked the motor over. Went out and broke the C Stock Runabout record. No changes execpt removing the megaphones.
Darrell

arcticracer
01-03-2008, 08:03 PM
Simply amazing. As one who has been removed from the sport for so long and only saw 2 blade props in use, what was used for these records? Did the drivers go to 3 blades for all applications including kilo runs? I remember how hard everyone was working to hit 70 MPH in DSR, or to beat Ron Hills record before 1971. Were these boats special Kilo boats, and what made them different? When we got out of racing specialized record run boats were yet to come out, with the exception of Craig Selvidge's ASR maybe. By the way, I came across a picture or two of Craig's Red record setting boat at Lawrence Lake, with the clear plastic "Saran Wrap" cowling, on the scales after setting a record. Sorry it is not with me to post right yet.

I would be interested in seeing a picture or two of Darrell's boats mentioned above if they exist out there.

jeff55vDSH
07-15-2010, 08:06 AM
I would be interested in seeing a picture or two of Darrell's boats mentioned above if they exist out there.

I'd like to see and learn more about this topic too!

Question: Is it true that there are no propshaft height restrictions for Kilo record attempts?

David Mason
07-15-2010, 11:36 AM
Basically no hull restrictions at all. No height rules, or min weight rules if memory serves. It is like it's own category with it's own rules. Engine rules for stock and mod and Pro are about the only thing that remains in effect. This is why you see such a large variation in Kilo speed records verses what that same person can run in a oval race. Even the 850 CCMH Kilo record speed could not be repeated in a race on an oval track. And by his own claims, he was running the very same boat and engine that was his daily driver sort to speak.

If one wants to tackle the Kilo records, it takes as much drive and prolly more cash to do than regular oval racing. Special props, hulls, and lots of testing. And those special Kilo hulls are typically one off's so they may not cost the same as say a normal hull used in oval.

Given the amount of Kilo Records a Sorenson Hull has, I would say Darell has it figured out though.

david bryan
07-15-2010, 03:03 PM
I believe the weight is the same as any Stock D Runabout for kilos but no height rules.

MarkD
07-16-2010, 03:37 PM
Here is a (poor qulaity) shot I have of Craig at Lawrence Lake with his ASR "Floater Boat" - kilo record was 61+mph - he also ran it in BSR and it went about 72 mph as I recall.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e4/markdemaray/ASRFLoaterboatASR1972.jpg

Here it is also at Lawrence Lake with the B:

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e4/markdemaray/BSR2028329.jpg

Kilos were very fun stuff - but as is noted above, they were basically like running a whole different class with special boats, different props, different set ups.

Mark

Ron Hill
07-16-2010, 04:30 PM
Didn't Craig call that boat a "FLOATER BOATER"???? Or way that what I thought he called it. Because the ORIGINAL FLOATERS were all wide nosed and rounded and looked like a big log.

I never saw the boat that Lloyd Mize went 90 MPH in but over the year I've had doubts, but Dave Bryan told me that the Sorensen hulls that the Davidson's bought would run faster than a hydro.

I got to figuring, my 1964 55-H on a 550 pound, boat, motor and driver would go 75 MPH in good water This DSR was also my Marathon boat that I won at least five Needles Marathons in a row with. This 55-H was standard bore.

About this same time, COBRA ran a class called DX, with was a 44 cubic inch Merc on a D Quickie. My brother's brother-in-law go my dad to build him a 44 with Hubbell Horns. He later sold this motor t my friends the Edmissions, and I borrowed it and put it on my D Runabout and MADE Ernie Dawe ride Deck. We RAN F Runabout AND ERNIE SAT BEHIND ME, LATER THEY CALLED THIS "PIGGY BACK" AS UP TO THEN, EVERYONE RAN SIDE BY SIDE IN AN F RUNABOUT.

I know one thing, Ernie and I didn't win F Runabout at Bakerfield that time, be we went so fast it scared both of us. I figured we were doing 80 plus with two in the boat.

So, fast forward, NEW STYLE KILO BOAT, 44 XS with improved gearcase, bigger and better props...90 MPH is a real possible speed and I believe this Record is valid.

My 1977 National Champion DSR would go 72 with a 55 E block and .030 pistions, with an 11 pitch prop. I've seen some of Davidson's kilo wheels and they have 15 inches of pitch!!!

8 1/2 X 15.....these props would put a DSR up in speed!

Boatwrx
07-16-2010, 04:53 PM
When the Davidson's made their assalt on the Parker Kilos ( 13 records) it was a remarkable thing to watch. I was working in the inspection area at that event and vividly remember watching Dick Davidson, early in the morning, make a CSR Kilo run at over 80 mph. The boat was perfectly hanging on a cushion of air , it gave me goose bumps to watch. Some time after that Loydd got the hulls for Davidson. Jimmy Dawe asked me to go through and set up his new D (44XS). Approx a year later Loydd Mize borrowed Jimmy's D for the 90 plus runs he made, I think at Modesto. Thanks for the memories.

Ken Scoville

Master Oil Racing Team
07-16-2010, 08:03 PM
I was thinking of how great a day that would have been to watch those kilos Ken. You got me thinking about the couple I ran, and how the people on the shore can be so anxious. It is a long time to hang out.

I really enjoyed visiting with you down in Texas, and hope to do so again soon. You've got a lot more good stories to tell than we've heard so far....so post some more.:cool:

bandit
07-16-2010, 08:40 PM
I could be wrong but doesn't it say in Aof or NBRA that the hull has to have run in a race?

Ron Hill
07-20-2010, 02:00 PM
Dave and Judy Bryan are on their way to DePue. Dave is going to help Tim Weber in Antique C Runabout and C Service Runabout. I'm trying to get him to go to Trenton, Michigan to see the 45 Worlds this weekend.

Steven, Tammy and Ernie Dawe will be there from Region 12.

These are the records the Davidson's broke that weekend in Parker.

Dick and Bob Davidison were excellent prop MEASURERS and good prop benders, just an FYI!!!!

david bryan
07-20-2010, 06:37 PM
well i wast here that day in parker. it cost bob 50 dollars a class to run thru the kelos 13 x 50 =750.00 $. he could of broke more records .they where thubing thru the record s to break some more when the motor inspecter John leard came down and said give me a break i have to tear all these ingine down to night and drive back to WA bob said ok i am out of money ant way