PDA

View Full Version : This is me back in September 1973

sd489
01-12-2008, 06:38 PM
Hi Folks

My name Johnny, I am from Mallorca Island, Balearics Island, Spain.
The boat SD489 is my racing boat, 13 feet long, deep V hull, italian made
all in plywood. The engine is an ARCHIMEDES PENTA AP-550x, 60 Hp,
weight 112 pounds only, fuel consumption 17 liters /hour at full speed.
Racing propeller Radice (italian) in bronze to achieve the maximum
performance.
30 years later I managed to get an identical boat and engine , I have
restored it to the same racing configuration. I am very happy and proud
to have it back
,http://SEP03-041.PDF

spn43
01-12-2008, 06:58 PM
any pictures?

sd489
01-12-2008, 07:49 PM
Yes I have,...
I am triying now to post them now.
I am a new comer in this forum,
Sorry

Johnny

Mark75H
01-12-2008, 09:15 PM
Johnny is the motor on #943 a Selva or Carniti?

I like your boat. Who is the maker?

spn43
01-12-2008, 10:13 PM
Johnny is the motor on #943 a Selva or Carniti?

I like your boat. Who is the maker?

That’s mighty Carniti, very competitive in SD with Volvo/Archimedes before Selva.
this is SD Volvo 600 (60 hp) driven by my 16 year old brother at the time
http://www.spnmotorsports.com/Index_files/image3861.jpg

sd489
01-13-2008, 05:48 AM
In those days in Racing boat (in Europe that is the only I know)
we hat mainly 3 competion categories, SD, SD and ON.

ON, very very big outboards in catamarans (before F1), they very expensive
and sofisticated, in all Spain we had just 5 boats at the best, as I could see
powered by Evinrude V-4, mainly sponsored by dealers.

SE, much more popular, because not so complicated, in V-hulls and some
catamarans, each boat tipe has a different race classification.
The winners were mainly Carnitis 3 cilinders, the Johnsons- Evinrudes direct
from production plant were no match, but when some one could get one
of this engines tuned up from factory, the difference was mas not big.
But Carniti prior to the big 3 cilinders hat a 2 cilinders for this class who was
also a great runner.
Mercury was no competitive then, I don´t know why.
König- german made, like craftmanship, just know in Germany, totally unkown
in the rest of Europe, every engine was different, and this engine was capable of the very best and of the very worst,...

SE very popular too.
We had Chrysler, not good. Johnson-Evinrude 2 cilinders, no competitive
with italian Carnitis or swedish (Crescent and Archimedes Penta, wich were
identical, like Johnson-Evinrude).
In this class the swedish engines has a specially build for racing series, (550 sPORT, 550X, Crescent Tornado, later VOLVO PENTA 600 SX ) wich had
block and pistons oversized from factory, this gave about 50 cubic centimeters more combustion volume.
The italians also did they best, ... with his competition engines, tuning up
as hey could.
But here comes my personal opinion, some of the 2 cilinders Carniti who had entered in SE class races, when out classed by the new 3 cilinders Carniti
went to enter in SD class, (totally unfair), as they were identical for the eye, and the only way to know it was to file a claim to the Jury to disasemble the
cilinder head, and as you know when the race is done every one goes home
as fast as possible, ...
Ah, what a times when we were young,...

sd489
01-13-2008, 06:41 AM
:)To Mark75H,
Nr. 943 is a Carniti (as I can remember is a 45HP, with a very high combustion
volume, near 650 cubic centimeters).
Here in Mallorca we had a marvelous racing time from 1969 to 1973, in summertine we used to do races in every harbour in Mallorca, every 15 days, so we were rather polular, by then we had gasoline very cheap.
We had some Offshore activity too, I can remember american "cigarrettes"
coming to Mallorca for the Wolrd Offshore Championsiph, I keep some
super-8 movies, and some pictures. Whe had boats like Dry Martiny, Black Tornado,ERAF, American Eagle, Hot Omelette, Unowhot, from Italy, UK, USA,
and Spain.
I had the luck to participae in our local class racing type, but I can say
I was driving at the side of this boat when the race started, ....
By then I was 20-22 years young, and luckyly I kept as many info got into
my hands.
But, when in 1974 the Oil Crisis came, all this fun goes away, the petrol increased the price 3 times in two months,..¡¡¡¡
It was the end of many activities, and a new era started.
As this fact was common in all Europe, the racing activity came to a sudden
stop, the consecuences were spectacularly bad, in the economics of everyone.
So the Carnitis, having no maket place in the familiar boating, as they were used for racing only, came to end. Later the machinery and organization was
taken by Selva, an still goes strong, ...
The show must go on,...

sd489
01-13-2008, 07:58 AM
The boat is a Canali , Jerry Model.
She is all plywood. It´s build in the early 70´s, 1971 I think. 13 feet long,
for 60-70 HP, not more.
The fist I had was a present of my late father,who was a boat dealer, and I used one of the engines we sold by then, Archimedes Penta, later we got an special tuned up production model the 550X.
During the 74-78 Oil crises, I sold the boat.
I keep in the boat business since then, a I had a lot of boats, but none like this particular one, and several nights I awake dreaming with it, ...
So I decided to get one, I found the actual I have in North Italy, the builder
Gianny Canali gave me the info, and I bought it without having see nothing
of it.
When it came to me, I was greatly suprised It was in great shape, no substantian hull damage, all the original fittings includes, and a surprise
it was in a four seat configuration, (not very practical at all, because this is
a boat just for racing, rather tricky to drive), but I decided to do the minimal
modification and keep it in this dual driving form, so now can use it with 1 seat "for racing" and four seats for "touring".
It was stripped from the old paint, repaired, repaint, ...a lot of work.
The problem was the engine. I knew if I fit a 4 strokes actual engine all the
"charme" is gone, and the boat do not go well as the engine wheigt is double, so the vital balance is lost,....
I bought a 550 engine, it came stripped in four cartons, ...., not good, to complicated to restore.
I looked into e.Bay and found some interesting engines, it took a while, but
I got an complete and working engine in Germany, not very expensive.
And this summer I got an authentic factory tuned up engine, complete,
working , hood in "good shape", it is the CRESCENT TORNADO version, in
bright orange colour, serial number indicating special racing production aproved by the U.I.M, affordable price, and i got him... now I am painting it
the original colour,...
I send some pictures,...

Tomtall
01-13-2008, 09:50 AM
Jonny - Great reading and pictures.:) Please keep us updated on your progress with this boat and motor. Welcome to "Boat Racing Facts". ;)

Mark75H
01-13-2008, 11:02 AM
Very good! I like the pictures and the story :)

sd489
01-17-2008, 11:49 AM
Hi,...

Don´t drive drunk,....
Beer in mid right, girl middle top, true racing accident in center picture.
Totally unprepared pictured only to show the boat damage, ...
Regards to every one,

Johnny

sd489
01-17-2008, 11:53 AM
here is the picture,...

wolfie
08-06-2010, 09:07 AM
up to now just been reading through all the topics and posts, sorry if this is unearthing a old thread, but this one is closest to my heart, i also am the proud owner of a thorough bred racing Tornado engine, will post pics if the thread resurfaces with others points of view

Mark75H
08-06-2010, 09:53 AM
I would like to see it.

wolfie
08-07-2010, 01:37 AM
At the moment it is in a few parts as i sort out the water pump etc, so here is the block at least, http://i993.photobucket.com/albums/af56/nealball_photo/engine/tornadoeng.jpg

sd489
08-07-2010, 08:11 AM
Glad to hear about your Crescent Tornado.
The Tornado and AP-550x were identical.
I can´t fin an AP-550X, but I managed to got a Tornado which is original 99,00%.
I can offer my personal experience to make it run .
I have some technical info who may help you.:)

wolfie
08-08-2010, 01:12 AM
hi SD489, any information you could provide would be great, hopefully you have a scanned or PDF copy of this info or a manual ? if you have drop me a pm and i will give you my email address to send to, looking forward to hearing from you ASAP

regards

Neal

sd489
08-08-2010, 10:00 AM
I can send you by mail the photo copies of the spare parts book.
You can reach me at x7777dotono.com
Regards
Johnny

stingray240cs
08-16-2010, 12:56 AM
Hi Johnny, your story is great! I´m facing something similar now. My father and his friends where racing Crescents 1966 - 1975 in Czechoslovakia in the classes SB,SC and SD. They used V-hulls first but later cats as well. As my fathers Crescent 55 in 1982 still existed (in a good condition) we decided with my brother to find a boat for it. We managed to find a old Molinati hull raced in SC and put the 55 on the boat. We took the rear bench of an old Renault 8 and the great plesureboat was done...
The shame is, we sold the boat after 5-6 years (without the engine). After many other boats I still remember the great old Molinari..
I´m trying to find it and have it back now.
I´ve got an Archimedes Penta 550X in a bad shape and I would like to restore it completely as well. As I have the partslist only from the regular 55 I´m looking for anything about the 600cc racing engines from Uppsala.
Could you help out with some details about the 500X and the Tornado?
Attached see the pictures from the boat how we got it 1982 and later used as plesureboat. I will add the 550X as well.
Any help would be apreciated!
Best Regards,
Roman

stingray240cs
08-17-2010, 01:54 AM
Hello Johnny,
I have almost the same story. My dad and his friends have raced Crescents some 35 years ago. In the age of 16 we have got the old 55HP from our dad. We have found an old Molinari V hull as well. We have used it as pleasureboat for some 5-6 years. After that we sold the boat without engine - what a shame. Now I´m trying to get the boat back.
I have an Archimedes Penta in bad shape. I will try to get it running again and use it either with an old SD cat or the Molinari V-hull.
I have only a partlist of the regular Crescent 55 therefore my question to you - could you help me with any info, partlist etc. about the Tornado and 550X?
Attached some pics from the old boat - engine setup.
Thanks a lot,
br
Roman
Vienna

sd489
08-17-2010, 03:01 PM
Dear Roman.
There is no special spare parts lists for 550x an Tornados. Both engines were almost standart, just the pistons diameter was oversize, they may use an special fuel pump Johnson type,
and some had an special modification in the carburetors cups in order to keep fuel inside
in the sharp turns, rather easy to do. Manual start to save weight.
The extra power comes from the oversize pistons, mainly.
They were all short shaft.
Later came the model 600SX with different gear and propeller, they keep on using old Johnson model jet exhaust, and this model has an special spare parts list, of which I have a very bad photocopy, made in the late 70´s. It was given to me from a friend in Norway.
The power output of the 550x and Tornados over the standart production engines, was very big, so the standart engines could not compete at all.
I am quite sure about that info just because my father was an Archimedes Penta dealer,
and I was very interested in any new modification I could do to my racing engine, and I had then direct link with the Importer for Spain.
Best regards from Palma de Mallorca, Balearic Islands, Spain

ich

wolfie
08-17-2010, 11:16 PM
well, this thread is picking up, i actually have two or should i say Had two Tornados, a friend now has one of them, below is a link to the one he has running a few days ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRXTKUUY3rY

stingray240cs
08-18-2010, 01:15 AM
Johnny,
thanks for the clarification. I knew the oversize pistons make 50ccm extra.
The crankshaft and the main jet are different.
If you send me a PM or email with your email adress I can send you everything I have on Tornado and 550X.

Wolfie,
very nice video! Let us see the other Tornado as well !!

Best Reards from Vienna,

Roman

Allen J. Lang
08-18-2010, 09:34 AM
Has one heck of a water pump. :)

stingray240cs
08-18-2010, 11:54 PM
Later came the model 600SX with different gear and propeller, they keep on using old Johnson model jet exhaust, and this model has an special spare parts list, of which I have a very bad photocopy, made in the late 70´s. It was given to me from a friend in Norway.
ich

Johnny,

could you make a scan or copy of your 600SX partslist for me please?
As I know, there was a different crankshaft used for the Crescent Tornado and Tornado S.
Do you know the difference? Maybe the Tornado had the regular one?
Have you more engines from Uppsala, or only the one you have with the boat?
I have an other as well, here the picture...
br
Roman

sd489
08-19-2010, 03:34 PM
Hi Roman,
In a few days I will have made a CD with all the sheets of the manual, and I will send it you.
Is is a rather "home made"manual, under the standart of the VOLVO PENTA manuals, but it is best than nothing. I have just a photocopy made with 70´s technology, but it can be seen rather well.
I have just seen this engines in pictures, back in the late 70´s in Spain we had difficult times,
and the people was worried in other things more important than racing outboards, as the
dictator Franco died and economics were catastrophic.
I own the following engines;
1 Crescent 55 Tornado -all orange-, very well preserved and 99% original, runs perfect
1 Volvo Penta 600, complete, standart, I have never made it run,...¿¿??
1 Monarch Crescent 55, standart output, needs paint, cover graphics, it runs perfect
1 Archimedes Penta AP-550, completly dismantled in a box, needs a lot of work
1 volvo penta 600, minus lower gear unit, I have never made it run,...¿¿
1 Penta Electrolux, all white, 4 hp, 1 cylinder aprox. year 1969 ,
and the jewel of the crown a PENTA U-2, 6 Hp, 2 cilinders, year 1922 , complete.
Regards
Johnny

stingray240cs
08-19-2010, 11:58 PM
Johnny, it looks like you are a big fan of the 600ccm range from Uppsala.
I should have all selling prospects and almost all partlists and owners manuals for your engines. If you are interested I could scan them for you. I would need some pictures from to identify the exact model year..
Your Penta 4 HP must be before 1968 as the later engines were blue/white. See attached the design 1969 (blue) and 1966/67 in white. There I have the documents as well.
..and the Penta U-2, I just cas say BRAVO !

I have some 60-70 engines, mainly Crescent 1960 - 1974, but some Archimedes, Monark and NV Marin as well. Im trying to get all the documents to the engines as well. From Crescent I have about 95% covered..
Looking forward to see pictures from the Tornado and the other 600cc engines !
br
Roman

texflagg
08-31-2010, 06:16 PM
twin hydro Powercat U4 after Linclon Nebraska National 1967 & twin Sterncraft U2 class1967-1968
Allison flat bottom1967 ,McCall tunnel 1969 , delta 650 1971, wood stinger(yellow jacket) 1964, v allison 1969.

Mark75H
08-31-2010, 06:57 PM
That is cool stuff

stingray240cs
09-23-2010, 10:56 PM
Johnny, could you manage to make the CD with the partslist? That would be an early Christmas present for me...
regards,
Roman

sd489
10-06-2010, 04:16 PM
Stingray240, - Roman
At last I got the spare parts manual on a CD in PDF.
Send me your adress to my mail; x7777@ono.com and I will send it to you.
I will be glad to share our technical info, and pictures with you
Regards
Johnny

stingray240cs
10-21-2010, 11:05 AM
Johnny,
Ivé got the cd - thanks a lot !
I´m on a business trip now - I will send you an email when I arrive home.
Best Regards,

Roman

wolfie
01-06-2011, 07:09 PM
Johhny, Parts listing turned up here in England as well, many many thanks mate

wolfie
03-07-2011, 05:25 AM
hi, i know its not a tornado, but this is one of the engines the tornado was based on, ( note to self must get round to stripping and rebuilding my remaining Tornado this year)

In the mean time i managed to find this 40 year old AP450 off shore that had never seen water, the gentleman bought it and used 4 of the 5 he bought to race in his local club, but he never needed to use this "spare" one, so it has sat in his garage for 40 years, all wrapped up, till now.

well i took the plunge over the weekend and ran her up for the very first time, videos below

part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYAMRdYa3PQ
part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DB_KetMe2Rk
part 3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Eh-U6_YIOE
part 4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYnyB-5bGrY
part 5 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyMNvKxOlAY

Sorry so many vid links, camera only takes 60 secs max at a time

Per
03-07-2011, 12:21 PM
This seems to be the thread to be in if you are a VP outboard fan!
I don't have any tornado engine but a friend of mine is currently working on a replica, that is supposed to be rigged on a 16 foot Classic offshore racer.

The link below is leads to a gallery with my latest work on a VP700 from -78. This is one of three VP700 engines I have.

I'm waiting for warmer weather then I to might be able to show some video:)

I'm a member of the "Nymans vänner" (Friend of Nymans) association and I might be able to help with facts regarding the Tornado

https://picasaweb.google.com/kvicken34/RenoveringVolvoPentaVP700#

//Per

stingray240cs
03-08-2011, 02:00 AM
Wolfie,
what a nice engine ! It hurts, that you have started it.. :o)
I would have kept it unused...
But anyway - this is a big thing to find a new aengine 40 years after its production..

Per,
you have the "Jubileum" version of a VP700 - very nice. I have only the partslist for it...
Please if possible, send me a contact to your friend who is building the Tornado..
I would like to share some informations with him.

Beside others I have one Tornado, one AP 550X, one Archimedes 60sX.

br
Roman

Alexander
12-03-2011, 08:05 AM
Johnny,

could you make a scan or copy of your 600SX partslist for me please?
As I know, there was a different crankshaft used for the Crescent Tornado and Tornado S.
Do you know the difference? Maybe the Tornado had the regular one?
Have you more engines from Uppsala, or only the one you have with the boat?
I have an other as well, here the picture...
br
Roman

Hello members;

I found an old picture of a 550cc Crescent with me as a 5 or 6 years old "pilot" behind the steeringwheel back in the late sixties. In that time there was a CU class with max.550cc outboards in the Netherlands. This boat was from my old man and he became the Dutch champion CU in 1969 or 1970

Best regards

Alex

http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=45212&stc=1&d=1322924479

wolfgang
12-05-2011, 12:36 AM
Was this boat built by Harry Grupstra of Amsterdam or a homebuilt clone? rgds,W

Alexander
12-05-2011, 01:23 AM
Was this boat built by Harry Grupstra of Amsterdam or a homebuilt clone? rgds,W

Hello Wolfgang;

At that time my old man already designed his own boats. One year before the CU class he came out in the B stock class with a Konig engine. That stock boat was an American design, I believe from what now is Boat Plans International. I still have the original drawings which show a stock boat called Jupiter. Grupstra was at that time already a few years a pilot in the EU class.

Best regards

Alex

Per
01-26-2012, 08:20 AM
Picture from Skokloster race summer 2011.
Engine is not a Tornado from the beginning but a replica built to Tornado spec.

The rumour is there will be several more Crescent / Volvo Archimedes Penta rigged boat this summer:)

//Per

Ron Hill
02-04-2012, 10:49 PM
Some cool stuff here. Any new pictures?