PDA

View Full Version : Modern Outboard 1971 Havasu Classic

Ron Hill
01-14-2008, 06:38 PM
I think there may have only been one issue of this magazine, but I read it 400 times. There maybe be some copy right somewhere, but seems if A.S. (Bill) Ames was around or is around, he might like to see this great article on BRF.

Master Oil Racing Team
01-14-2008, 07:38 PM
I have that issue Ron. & that's the only one I have. So maybe there's only two left.....unless we hear otherwise from other boat racing pack rats.;) I never could figure out where to stash it. It could get lost mixed with other Powerboat's and it doesn't go with Propellers. I think I have it with quarterly published Hot Boats.

OLEGATORXX
01-16-2008, 12:26 PM
Add One More To The Still Around List.

Jim

Ron Hill
01-16-2008, 10:48 PM
Not calling Wayne or you liars...but, it is amazing that a magazine that only had one issue....and was a limited edition for sure...that there'd be three copies here on BRF...and I got mine from Dick Sherrer...I never got one mailed to me....But I will call the three of us NUTS as this magazine is what, thirty 37 years old....

Master Oil Racing Team
01-17-2008, 08:50 AM
.......I thought to myself as I pushed aside some APBA rule books that had slid off the stack, then I spotted an orange corner. It was too much to hope for, but sure enough......it was the copy I had wasted already two hours looking for.

I felt you called us out Ron;)and I went to go fetch my copy as proof. I went to the loft above the carport and went through several boxes of boat racing magazines in a hurry. Not there. So I came back down and looked through some real old ones I had sorted out. That was where I had most of the Hot Boats. Not there. So I went into the darkroom where I had some of the international racing stuff. Not there. Then I went back up to the loft and went through the boxes one magazine at a time. No luck. Then I looked in a box that had a couple of photo mags on the top. When I moved them, I discovered the rest of the box was boat racing. Ahhh....so that's where it is. Nope! Rats! So I went back down to the racing room for the last time and looked one more time in the Hot Boats. Then I was thinking to myself "Aw hell....I'm going to have to fess up to Ron that I can't find mine" when I decided to look under the rulebooks. I had only sorted those magazines out a couple of months ago and I had remembered seeing it. Since it was one of a kind, I didn't put it with the others as I had thought and had instead puit it on the next shelf up with the rulebooks.

This issue was mailed to me at the Alice Specialty Co. post office box. I never got my mail there. I was in college at the time, but I still used the Sandia address. My Dad got most of his mail at the ASCO address, but it was not addressed to him. So I don't know how my name was tied to that address from someone I didn't know. But one fact is for certain and is proven once again. If you are looking for in depth history of boat racing, for instance the article "Michigan's Tornado Buster's" by Fred Scwhartz and photos by Joe Scwartz ........Boat Racing Facts is the place to come.:cool::D

ADD: We might be nuts Ron, but Russ still has socks older than that issue.

Ron Hill
01-17-2008, 10:06 AM
I am amazed...that there is at least three of these magazine..

Hey, would you post that Michigan Marathon? Seems I put some stuff away yesterday, and forgot I was going to post that...

My brother's socks?? I thought it was his underwear!!!

Ron Hill
01-17-2008, 12:11 PM
Michigan Marathons....

Master Oil Racing Team
01-17-2008, 07:30 PM
.........I used that as example to call attention to the fact that BRF members are liable to have info not found anywhere else, nor able to even be dredged up if someone tried. I was wondering a few months back why I had only one copy if they had my address on a computer. It was you that let us know that only one issue had been published. Sure enough....when I found my copy this morning I opened it up and it was Volume I, Issue I. But one of the side effects is like what Joe told me after I posted...."When you get called out you usually find some good stuff";) I said "Yeah...I found a couple of FINISH LINES!" So after you are done scanning the ones you have Ron, I will do these if you don't have them. & BTW you may want to play around with some settings on your scanner. I forget the terms the printers use, but when you copy a copy you can get the criss cross lines on the final result. Look at your copy of the cover VS mine to see what I'm talking about. Please don't take this the wrong way because it's fantastic that you are now scanning, but you should be able to correct that. I think it makes for longer downloading times with the crosshatch.

Ron Hill
01-18-2008, 06:56 PM
Havasu 1970, I came around the first lap about 4th. Most OMC twins were running about 92 mph. My Jones, with 1:1 gearcases and Record two blade wheels was running 108 full load (About 70 gallons of gas, as I recall).

There were about 120 boats, and though the race was scheduled for four hours each day, I planned to win, like I had in 1967.

AS I headed down the front straightaway, I looked back to see where the OMC guys were and they were WAY behind me, and Mercury guys didn't bother me, as those inline sixes usually gave trouble to one of both engines...at mpit stops...Reeds or starters...

So, as I come around about 4th.....I say to myself...120 boats just left here a half lap ago, I'll bet it is rough as ****!!!! About that time I see Joe Fielder's nose go up, then, down BIG TIME.....He nosed that mother in hard...and as I passed near him, his boat, motors (Pieces of glass and plywood were flaoting) but he was still under water...I kept looking over my shoulder slowing more and more...and he didn't come up...Finally, I see him float, just infront of Fred Hauenstein's twin McDonald Hydro.. Fred probably never saw the accident, and all of a sudden a guy floats in front of him...I assume Freddy saw him, but I've asked..

Joe went right down Freddy's tunnel...his big twin hydro had each motor on a sponson....I don't think Freddy boat touched Joe... Flares and Red flags came out and I returned to my pits....

I got out of my boat...and Roger Squire got this picture of me....I was sure Joe fielder was dead....because I was running about 100 MPH and he was pulling away when he stuffed...105 to ZERO in 20 feet...

I didn't win..I blew or lost four gearcases....but when I was running NOBODY passed me except the first lap....I loved that 20 Foot Ron Jones tunnel...but the next year, OMC ran singles only....I never really got over going to singles...I hated the CONCEPT THEN, and I do today......

Wayne and Sam...is this scanned any better?

Master Oil Racing Team
01-18-2008, 07:22 PM
Man.......you're a pro now Ron. I can look back to just two years ago and I couldn't even do what you did at the beginning of this thread.:cool: I don't know how many have mentioned this to you Ron, but among the guys I know there are a number that have told Joe and myself that they never even knew how to turn on a computer until someone pulled them in front of a monitor with some BRF stories and photos.

Back to Havasu...That's a good pic of you. I like singles, but I forgot what you had said about the duals that you liked so much on another thread other than it seemed to really perk the crowd up. I never raced any duals but my Dad had a Thompson with twin Evinrude 75's and when they were wide open you could adjust the throttles slightly until there was a constant droning. Sounded like the B&W movies of inside a WWII bomber making a run. Did you try to make adjustments like that underway? Or did you have to do something like that under racing conditions for torque reasons with the duals?

Mark75H
01-18-2008, 08:29 PM
Looks great Ron. I always wondered why you had that worried look on your face in that picture

OLEGATORXX
01-20-2008, 01:36 PM
I Guess I'm Not Smart Enough To Post Pictures To Prove I Have The Mag, So I'll Keep My Comments Off This Web Site. My Daddy Taught Me At A Very Early Age To Tell The Truth. When The Time Comes, The Truth Will Become Known.

Jim

Master Oil Racing Team
02-01-2008, 05:32 PM
You don't have to post the picture for us to believe you Jim. Also, your Daddy was right. It reminds me of the story from the depression era when a country kid of about 10 or 12 was called to the witness stand for a trial in which he was the only eyewitness. The city slicker lawyer asked this boy "Did your Daddy tell you what to say son?" The youngster meekly replied, "Yes sir." Hooking his thumbs in his suspenders, the lawyer swiveled his upper body to face the jury with a big grin on his face. Then the lawyer turned back to the boy and gently said....... "And what did he tell you?" With a proud look on his face, the boy exclaimed, "To tell the truth and no sumbitchin' shyster lawyer can make a liar out of me."

Michael J Gwaltney
02-01-2008, 07:34 PM
Man.......you're a pro now Ron. I can look back to just two years ago and I couldn't even do what you did at the beginning of this thread.:cool: I don't know how many have mentioned this to you Ron, but among the guys I know there are a number that have told Joe and myself that they never even knew how to turn on a computer until someone pulled them in front of a monitor with some BRF stories and photos.

Back to Havasu...That's a good pic of you. I like singles, but I forgot what you had said about the duals that you liked so much on another thread other than it seemed to really perk the crowd up. I never raced any duals but my Dad had a Thompson with twin Evinrude 75's and when they were wide open you could adjust the throttles slightly until there was a constant droning. Sounded like the B&W movies of inside a WWII bomber making a run. Did you try to make adjustments like that underway? Or did you have to do something like that under racing conditions for torque reasons with the duals?
Interesting about twin engine sync. When I was a test driver at Naples Test Station we always ran twin engines. I loved the sound of the twins in sync.

In later years with larger engines drivers admitted to running twins out of sync as it caused them to fall asleep. I doubt if it occurs with race boats due to variation in counter rotation propellers. Drivers usually have throttles to the mat and more concerned with trim settings. Comments anyone?

T2x
02-05-2008, 08:25 AM
Interesting about twin engine sync. When I was a test driver at Naples Test Station we always ran twin engines. I loved the sound of the twins in sync.

In later years with larger engines drivers admitted to running twins out of sync as it caused them to fall asleep. I doubt if it occurs with race boats due to variation in counter rotation propellers. Drivers usually have throttles to the mat and more concerned with trim settings. Comments anyone?

Most of my duals "synched" out all by themselves.....Same power, same props, same height, same speed....do the math. If both engines were healthy they stayed on synch and you could hear the minor differences in revolutions as a slow repetitive moaning sound............

T2x

peterse90
10-06-2008, 04:56 PM
Not calling Wayne or you liars...but, it is amazing that a magazine that only had one issue....and was a limited edition for sure...that there'd be three copies here on BRF...and I got mine from Dick Sherrer...I never got one mailed to me....But I will call the three of us NUTS as this magazine is what, thirty 37 years old....

Maybe this will add some more confusion as to how many issues of Modern Outboard were published.
Mine is November 1971; Volume 1, No. 6.
Publisher; Lou Kjose , Editor; A.S. (Bill) Ames.
Feature articles include;
The Havasu Story, history of the race from 1959 to 1970.
Outboard Fuel Injection; Dick Sherrer's experimental Merc 1350 w/FI
1971 OPC Nationals at Dayton, Ohio
Danbury, Ohio races May 1971
W.C.O.A. OPC divisionals Lake Amador, California June 1971
Lake Casitas, COBRA July 1971

Master Oil Racing Team
10-06-2008, 06:33 PM
....thanks for scanning and posting those magazine pages and your comments. This thread was kind of a fun one because of the comments, and now you add more.:cool::D At the same time you add to the mystery of the publication as well as historical info to Boatracingfacts.

Ron Hill
10-07-2008, 09:14 AM
Any chance of scanning it larger and E-Mail it to me....as I can't read it...

ronhill@hillmarine.com

Volume 1 number 6...So, first year, 6th issue...So, there maybe be six issues out there???

I never saw the one Pete just posted...

Miss BK
11-29-2008, 09:44 AM
I was just looking through my brothers old slides from Havasu 1970, trying to see if the stacker Molinari that Joe Fielder drove might be in there somewhere.

Haven't been able to find it, but ran across some pretty cool images. Thought I'd share:

The notes on this one says "Bill Petty, Ohio". It may or may not be accurate. I have no way of knowing...

I was at this race - but I was only 8 years old. ;)

Ron Hill
11-29-2008, 10:30 AM
Miss BK...If I start a thread in the BRF Encyclopedia, will you post about your family and racing?

On page three here, the two boat uder the London Bridge are Ted May ( X-1) and Sandy Killen...Sandy was from Seattl before moving to Havasu...He had an Ed Karlesen tunnel...Ted and Sandy were the first two to drive a boat under the Londo Bridge at about 100 MPH, maybe the only ones...

He is a list of 1971 entries: 199 was Bill Petty!

Great pictures....wish were were racing at Havasu....today...One year we raced havasu Friday and Saturday, then went to Parker and ran Sunday with the inboard club...We were "LIVING" LARGE in those days!

Miss BK
11-29-2008, 11:40 AM
It's so much fun going through those entry lists! When I was 8 years old, I only was familiar with a few names (the name Ron Hill, of course, was one...)

But here's one name that I didn't get to know until several years later. In a TOTALLY different atmosphere - stock outboards. We later became very good friends and still exchange Christmas cards - all these years, I didn't realize FRANK ZORKAN was in this race!

And now I think there might even be a picture of him in these slides my brother took.

The notes on this 1970 slide say, "Roger Hulett, Phoenix, AZ". On Ron's entry list of 1971, Frank Zorkan is listed as co-driver.

So is this a picture of Roger and Frank during a pit stop??? Ironically, Frank and I would be watching this race together exactly 9 years later --- standing on the bank just behind where this photo was taken. Strange world!

PS - Look at those steering wheels !!

Ron Hill
11-29-2008, 12:19 PM
Roger worked from Yamaha for a long time after he quit racing...

Ray Hulett had raced with my father in the era my dad raced "C" Racing Runabout (!940-50)...Ray was a great machinist and he worked for OMC through C.W. "Doc" Jones of Phoenix. Ray did the much of the machine work on the Stranglers and Super Strangler we raced. Roger built this boat himself, maybe with Frank's help....

Big steering wheels cut down of the engine torqu and a single with a big prop had a lot of torque...Later we learned to use a torque "BUNGEE" strap...but when we went to 1:1 they had little or no torque...

Reading the entry list was really a "Who's Who of the Era..."

Ron Hill
11-29-2008, 12:25 PM
Here is a picture of the Twister Craft built by Carl Stippich...Carl built many a fine Stock Outboard boat, Mercury hired him to build boats...

It was avery fast boat, but not a HAVASU boat...

Miss BK
11-29-2008, 05:29 PM
These slides my brother took are actually very sharp and clear - but I have only a hand held viewer - so they're not coming out like they should...

This photo was used in an article I wrote for Hot Boat Mag called "Return of a Classic", about the 1998 Havasu Classic - when Jim Russell tried hard to bring back the glory days of that famous race. One boat that came down for this event was Ron Brown's green Colorado boat - with Scott and John Jensen as his drivers.

So I used "Now" and "Then" side by side photos.....

I'm pretty sure this is a Schulze - and according to the entry list Ron Hill posted, Dieter Schulze was Ron Brown's co driver in 1971.

Here is the "then" photo of Ron Brown's #114 - from my brothers 1970 Havasu collection:

David Alaniz
11-29-2008, 09:22 PM
A few more sub-quality pics from the "reel".

mercmack
11-30-2008, 07:21 AM
About This Time When Omc Won Havasu They Printed A Poster Or Flyer Of A Roman God "mercury" All Beet Up With Tuned Stacks Bent Around His Head..if All You Out There That Got All This Stuff Collection Dust Can Find This, Please Post It..it Is One Cool Pic.

Miss BK
11-30-2008, 09:55 AM
I'd like to see that. Was that after Cesare Scotti won?

Here's the winner from 1970....

Bill Sirois, "Up up and Away"

Miss BK
11-30-2008, 09:59 AM
Tom and Mac McCune - Denver, Co - Havasu Outboard World Championships 1970

Wasn't there a female McCune family member that was supposed to drive in the 1972(?) race but the race committee told her it would be "too hard for a girl" to drive in a marathon like this. I seem to remember a story like that.... Ron? Anyone recall this story? Did she ever get the chance?

I was at a Formula One PROP race back around 2000 or so and Carlos Kuri was there, selling his child sized "Kuri" drivers suit to a little boy about 6 years old, who immediately put the uniform on - and wore it proudly the rest of the day. His dad was telling Carlos that he came from a boat racing family too -- their last name was McCune. I talked to the dad for awhile, and I am pretty sure he told me that "Mac" was either his dad or uncle...

So its possible the boat below is being driven by that little boy's grandpa. Too bad he never got to see this race!

Ron Hill
11-30-2008, 10:20 AM
Mac McCune was the Johnson Outboard distributor for the Colorado area, including Arizona...Mac had two sons, Tom and ------ and a daughter nmaed Melinda. Mac was a "GO FOR IT GUY".

After Dieter Schutz did well in the 1966 Havasu Classic, Mac bought several Schultz Boats... In the 1967 Clasasic the McCunes had run a three engine boat and Melinda was listed as a driver...In the 1967 Classic, Melinda was to co-drive with her dad in a single Schultz much like Jimbo's boat... Mac started the race and was second single when he blew over.

Melinda never got in the boat.

In 1968, the McCunes finished second in the Six Hours of Paris, Ted May and I were third...

ADD:

In 1972, at Havasu, there were 96 boats, all singles, all running 90 plus MPH. Mac McCune signed Melinda up to drive. George May, the referee, had never seen Melinda drive a boat. He had seen Mac drive a boat. George consulted with Ted May, Jack Leek and myself about allowing ANY DRIVER to race with NO EXPERIENCE...or at least no experience in the last five years..We gave our opinions freely to George. George looked the list od drivers over, and Melinda was the only one that had NO SEAT time.....George made the decision not to allow her to race, not because she was a woman, but because she had not raced a tunnel EVER!!!!

Melinda married Johnny Sanders and they had a daughter from this marriage.

Mac raced the Race of Champions at Long Beach and blew over there. His boys seems to back off racing....Melinda and Johnny divorced. Mac entered the Parker 9 Hour is a Van Der Velden hull, I think, powered by a V-6 Johnson. He blew this boat over and was killed. Mac was over 60 years old at the time...

Tom McCune, the last I talked to him, owned a propeller shop in Colorado. OMC bought out McCune Outboard marine when they bought out their distributors, many years ago.

The young boy with the name McCune, I'd bet was Tom's son, and Mac's grandson.

http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59&highlight=McCune

David Alaniz
11-30-2008, 01:57 PM
From the "reel".

David Alaniz
11-30-2008, 02:03 PM
From the "reel".

David Alaniz
11-30-2008, 02:13 PM
From the "reel".

David Alaniz
11-30-2008, 02:19 PM
From the "reel".

David Alaniz
11-30-2008, 02:29 PM
From the "reel". I think I should have posted to the $62,750. Oh well, change them if you want....still in '71.

Miss BK
11-30-2008, 03:07 PM
Those are really cool frames! I see #33 there - Cesare Scotti, Renato Molinari's cousin. (noticed the Modern Outboard article said Renato was his nephew - not true).

The first time I went to Havasu as a small child, Cesare won and was the driver I rooted for from that moment on. Even named my dog "Cesare" (a St Bernard!)

Some of the slides are now showing their age and so washed out that you can't really make out the numbers on the boats anymore - all the images from the start are like these - too bad. :(

David Alaniz
11-30-2008, 05:47 PM
I think the slide is good and tells a story. A heck of a start and the traffic jam. I would rather be up front or get me to the outside where I can run some speed.

Mark75H
11-30-2008, 07:07 PM
I think they are all awesome

Willabee
12-09-2008, 11:30 AM
The notes on this one says "Bill Petty, Ohio". It may or may not be accurate. I have no way of knowing......I was at this race - but I was only 8 years old. ;)

The boat in your picture is a lightweight 21' Glastron/Molinari that Mercury Racing had asked Glastron to build for them. No one was thinking about an "all singles" race format at the time this was ordered in 1970, and Merc was looking at all of it's options for competitive multi engine hulls. This boat ran good, finishing 8th, but not good enough to have Merc pursue the project any further. "Little Joe" Fielder was also running a lightweight 21' at this race and I'd guess they didn't build anymore of them after that accident.

The #199 was Bill Petty's APBA number and he was teamed with Tinker Collinge for the 1970 Havasu race. A funny thing happened on Saturday when Petty came in for fuel at the two hour mark. Tinker was supposed to get in for the next two hours, but was still messing with something on his helmet when we had finished refueling. Petty had been watching Tinker and when he saw that we were done and Tinker wasn't ready, he looked at me, smiled and lit those stackers.....away he went!!!!

Garbecht decided to let Tinker drive all four hours on Sunday to even things out. I don't know if that was the right call or not, I just remember the look of total shock on Tinkers face when that boat pulled away from the dock. Fun stuff.....you wait all year for the opportunity to run a "hot multi" for the Mercury Racing Team at the Outboard World Championships and what happens when your time to shine finally arrives.....you're not ready!!!!! :eek:

Your picture shows Tinker driving.....

Ron Hill
12-09-2008, 12:37 PM
Hmm...Having HUNG OUT with Tinker since re-meeting at Parker two years ago...Tinker tells the story "DIFFERENTLY".....but almost the same...Tinker said, "Petty just never got out of the seat...So, on Sunday, he didn't get out..."

While we're telling stories...What is your side of the story about the "RICE" in your tomato soup in Spain??????? I'd never seen rice swim....

Hey, in the old days, when you flew to europe, did they charge you for an extra seat when you filled it with your tool box???

Your post isn't going to be good for Tinker....Damn fool thinks he can still drive....and we let him...for awhile, we let him back the trailer in and out.....Until he was involved in a four boat trailer wreck at Long Beach....some BEAUTIFUL LADY jogged in front of guys with empty trailers and they all four lost their trains of thought and crashed into one another...after that we fired Tinker as trailer driver....BUT DAILY he tells everyone and anyone who will listen or not, he's ready to drive a race boat again....

Welcome, Willabee

ADD: Bet you got a few Grabrecht stories you could tell!!!

Willabee
12-09-2008, 02:11 PM
...Tinker tells the story "DIFFERENTLY".....but almost the same..... While we're telling stories...What is your side of the story about the "RICE" in your tomato soup in Spain??????? I'd never seen rice swim.....
Hey, in the old days, when you flew to europe, did they charge you for an extra seat when you filled it with your tool box???.....Your post isn't going to be good for Tinker....Damn fool thinks he can still drive.... ADD: Bet you got a few Grabrecht stories you could tell!!!

If I were Tinker, I'd tell his version of that story too.....after all, there are damn few of us left that can call him on it. You're telling me that Tinker thinks he can still drive.....what a frightening thought. He was scary enough forty years ago. These days I can't imagine watching him race in anything faster than that Boston Whaler that used to run at Parker. I can see Tinker buzzing the pits with that 50 horse kicker while eating a sandwich and taking his pills :D

Never had to send tools to Europe. You have to remember that I worked for Mercury.....once we built them, we never had to touch them again. :rolleyes:

Yea, I have lots of memories (stories) from those days.....mostly fond memories of the people I met and people I worked with during those years. It was a great experience.

Oh, almost forgot about the soup. You never have had that story quite right. I remember picking the restaurant because it looked "American" to me, a brick building that reminded me of a Denny's. I did not want to experiment during our next meal and that place looked safe. I think we all ordered the tomato soup and it may have been Lynn Seebold that noticed that the kitchen had taken the liberty of adding pepper to it. As I looked at mine, I believe I asked if anyone else had pepper that was actually swimming.....we were out of there in a flash! Another one of those fond memories.:(

Miss BK
12-09-2008, 03:34 PM
Thanks for the info on the photo of 199! Great story - I can just imagine what his face looked like as he watched the boat fire up and scream away.

Im' sure you guys have some good stories about the days when drivers had to run to the boats when the gun went off...true Le Mans...

Now, I have this very vague memory about another funny pit scene - I was just a little girl, but can clearly remember watching the exciting "Le Mans" start, and seeing a guy come flying out of a portapotty, running as fast as he can toward his boat as the others were all taking off....

It was one of those memories you always seem to hold onto :)

Kind of like the "rice" soup story - you just don't forget being told a story like that .....which I first heard while at the annual APBA Meeting dinner in Biloxi MS. Yes, Ron told the story while we were all eating....LOL eww...:eek: :D

Master Oil Racing Team
12-09-2008, 07:32 PM
Those are some good stories. Like photos in the pits....the stories behind the scenes of racing are great. Let's hear some more.:)

Willabee
12-11-2008, 02:56 PM
Those are some good stories. Like photos in the pits....the stories behind the scenes of racing are great. Let's hear some more.:)

This photo is from the Miami 225, scheduled for February 1972. Unfortunately Miami had small craft #2 warnings that day and the race was cancelled, but there is a story about the photo just the same.

I don't want to bore you about my background at Mercury, so let me just say that this was the first major race that I was totally responsible for getting the Team ready. Garbrecht and Merten had some kind of schedule conflict so they told me who they wanted to enter at this race and I was to take it from there. This would be the first event that the entire Team would run the C6. It was a fickle thing to get running right, so I decided to do things a bit differently.

Our normal procedure was to get the drivers and equipment to the test site about a week before a major event. Thinking that this powerhead could present some problems, I sent our parts truck "Day Tripper" with all of the race powerheads and props to Lake X with Rick Lamore and another mechanic. I also sent Bob Hering and his Molinari. Bob Hetzel (our top prop guy) and I met those guys the weekend before the Miami race. The Lake X folks had installed a duplicate of the Miami course and we started testing.

We ran every powerhead across Hering's boat....like a floating dyno. Each one that didn't perform as required and sent into the engine shop where Lamore usually repaired or replaced carbs. We did this until they all performed almost identical. Then we ran all of the props using one powerhead and Hetzel banged and filed until they ran almost identical. In a couple of days we were ready for the rest of the drivers who had been given staggered arrival times.

We could pretty much just drop a powerhead on his boat, give him a prop and just add water. Each driver tried a few props, but that was all of the testing necessary. Several drivers commented that this had been a very smooth test session and felt that we were as ready as the Team had ever been. I can't remember exactly anymore, but there was only something like 5 or 6 seconds (maybe even less) difference between the fastest and slowest boats around the course. :cool: Hering was quickest, but set his time with minimal fuel on board. Dick Scherrer was slowest, but was the only one that tested with a full load.

I remembered a photo in Powerboat that showed several of our boats lined up at Parker. I wanted a photo of the whole Team because I really expected great results. We got up very early Sunday morning so we could get lined up on the ramp at the stadium. When we arrived it was chained shut :mad: We did the old hacksaw routine to the chain and went on in.....never did hear anything about doing that. I think Dick Klaywitter was Merc's PR guy at the time and he got up on the tower by the ramp to take the photos.

Like I said, Mother Nature refused to cooperate and we got blown out. I'll say this.....if that race had been run, OMC would have been the only thing that got blown out on that day :D:D

David Alaniz
12-11-2008, 07:14 PM
Willabee,

Garbrecht told us to test like Team Mercury - in secret. This pic proves the point! Great to see you post, enjoy your history.:D

Master Oil Racing Team
12-12-2008, 07:48 AM
That was another great story Willabee. What a tremendous way to prepare for a race. Especially setting up a duplicate course for testing. I like the little personal details you add and I could visualize you guys cutting the chain then getting everything set up like you wanted. A fine story to go with that great photo. I can tell you have more.:cool:

Ron Hill
12-12-2008, 09:43 AM
http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120&highlight=Jimbo+Parker&page=5

Seems to me, OMC was ready for that race, too. AND to this day, I still feel had that race been run, I would have won it in that black and white Scotti. ***(And I'm still mad a Jimbo for "Snaking" that black and white Scotti away from me beteeen Miami and Parker....in two week and 2,500 miles Freddy and I go from a Scotti to a three year old Molinari!!!!)...

Seems, at Parker the next month, OMC ran 1,2 and 3. Team Mercury blew, 9-10 boats over......

I guess that is why we enjoyed racing against Mercury, as they ALWAYS figured they were going to win!!!

Anyway, Bill, seems ONE time, on a flight from Berlin to Frankfort, you had a big tool box with you...taking it back to Oshkosh.... but maybe it wasn't tools!!!

Bring on the stories, I'm ready!

Willabee
12-12-2008, 10:03 AM
Willabee,Garbrecht told us to test like Team Mercury - in secret. This pic proves the point! Great to see you post, enjoy your history.:D

:DLOL:D.....That is a Great shot.....sure can't get blamed for letting any secrets out of the bag when you test like that. You need to send that to Jackie Wilson, tell him that when we were counting 16' sprints, he forgot to include the inboards. :D

Willabee
12-12-2008, 02:40 PM
Seems to me, OMC was ready for that race, too. AND to this day, I still feel had that race been run, I would have won it in that black and white Scotti.....Seems, at Parker the next month, OMC ran 1,2 and 3. Team Mercury blew, 9-10 boats over......I guess that is why we enjoyed racing against Mercury, as they ALWAYS figured they were going to win!!!.....Anyway, Bill, seems ONE time, on a flight from Berlin to Frankfort, you had a big tool box with you...taking it back to Oshkosh.... but maybe it wasn't tools!!!.....Bring on the stories, I'm ready!

Ron, you better take a long look at that picture of the Mercury lineup at Miami again. I count ten.....seems to me that means the best you would have been able to accomplish is 11th :p Seriously, those boats were really ready, I believe you guys would have been amazed!

Mercury did not send the Racing Team to Parker in 72. They had some budget concerns and thought they could get the job done with just one boat. Seebold/Petty ran a 17' Molinari marathon with a new and very strong single pipe C6. It was fast, but broke. They limped back to the pits and changed powerheads and managed a 6th place finish. OMC did get the first three places with Jimbo/May taking the win in that black & white Scotti you mentioned (pictured below).

1971 was the year of the Mercury "Flying Circus". We had been blowing SSM lower units and the engineers didn't think they would run the nine hours. Our boats were fitted with MerCruiserI speedmasters. Obviously they behaved much differently because they were flying off of the water everywhere you looked. Sirois, Hering, Downard, Collinge and Seebold (twice!) flipped during the race. Three or four also flipped while testing, including Seebold! One guy that didn't flip was Billy Don Pruett.....that's because he fell off of one of the OMC trucks before the race and broke his arm :(. We didn't have a good trip that year.

I don't remember what was in the big tool box.....maybe the Team winnings from Paris? :D

Ron Hill
12-12-2008, 09:34 PM
"scheduled for February 1972."

You are telling me that Mercury had 10 boats in Miami, two weeks before Parker, 1972, and Mercury didn't show at Parker... One word..WRONG!

Seebold blew over twice. Sirois was in the hospital in Phoenix......from a blow over...

Team Mercury was at Parker 1972, and they were handed their LUNCH!

Master Oil Racing Team
12-12-2008, 09:50 PM
I'm going to dig out my Powerboat Magazine to see what it sez.;)

Master Oil Racing Team
12-15-2008, 02:02 PM
I had every issue of Powerboat in 1972 except April, and that's most likely where the story would be. This came from Mel Zikes column in May.

Master Oil Racing Team
12-15-2008, 02:08 PM
And then there was this from the January 1972 issue.

Mark75H
12-15-2008, 03:50 PM
My list says I have April 72 ... but finding it may be another story

Master Oil Racing Team
12-15-2008, 06:35 PM
I went back upstairs in our storage room for another look and got caught up reading a bunch of Mel Zikes' columns from 1972. What a wonderful discovery. I always enjoyed reading his columns when I got each issue, but now I have found that I got to know a lot of the people he wrote about back then. So I have a lot of re reading to do. Think I will post some snippets under the Mel Zikes thread in the encyclopedia.

Master Oil Racing Team
12-15-2008, 07:57 PM
A little while ago I went into my darkroom to try to refile stuff and straighten things out before Christmas and guess what?.....I found the April 1972 Powerboat. You don't have to hunt for yours now Sam. The only thing is....I only brought it down to post something from it, and I can't remember what it was. I checked the Parker and Ted May threads, but it wasn't in either one. I thought if someone remembered the article and where it was posted, they could link to it. Otherwise, I guess I'll scan it in a few days.

David Alaniz
12-15-2008, 09:19 PM
Wayne,

You were looking for that issue to settle who ran the race that year. Did Mercury run or not? Bantering from Ron Hill and Willabee on who attended the Parker 1972 Race.:confused: #48/49

"scheduled for February 1972." from Ron Hill

"You are telling me that Mercury had 10 boats in Miami, two weeks before Parker, 1972, and Mercury didn't show at Parker... One word..WRONG!

Seebold blew over twice. Sirois was in the hospital in Phoenix......from a blow over...

Team Mercury was at Parker 1972, and they were handed their LUNCH!"

Ron Hill
12-15-2008, 09:33 PM
Maybe it was 1971 that Mercury had their ten blow overs...I guess they didn't come to parker, becasue they knew what wa good for them..

Wayne what were the results from Morgan City? Seems I have some pictures from there...Windy, rough and onlyb225 miles...Seems I might have been 4th or 5th...

T2x
12-16-2008, 06:28 AM
Ron/Willabee:

In the spirit of the season why can't we all just get along?

Ron is very loyal to OMC and Willabee is very loyal to Mercury.......

Having driven both brands, I can see both sides.

There is no doubt that Mercury had a crackerjack team that exists in some form or another to this day.

The guys who drove that other stuff continue in their delusions and I respect that too.......

There.... now doesn't everybody feel better?.....:D:D:D:D:p

T2x

Master Oil Racing Team
12-16-2008, 06:33 AM
David...Team Mercury didn't come, but Billy Seebold was there flying the Merc colors.

I have to go to probably the June issue to get your answer Ron, but I think it was covered in an article I skimmed yesterday. Be later on today. But I found a couple of other interesting paragraphs regarding Parker.

John Schubert T*A*R*T
12-16-2008, 09:55 AM
Ron/Willabee:

In the spirit of the season why can't we all just get along?

Ron is very loyal to OMC and Willabee is very loyal to Mercury.......

Having driven both brands, I can see both sides.

There is no doubt that Mercury had a crackerjack team that exists in some form or another to this day.

The guys who drove that other stuff continue in their delusions and I respect that too.......

There.... now doesn't everybody feel better?.....:D:D:D:D:p

T2x

Now how in the world can you think what you stated is any better. OMC drivers had "Delusions".

It may very well be true that we didn't win as many races as Mercury, but we did well. I for one won the "S" class marathon nationals in 970 & 1971, was perhaps 20 minutes in front in the 1971 Paris race until we blew up, Sanders & Posey won Paris, Parker & Johnny won Havasu, and many more achievements way too numerous to mention.

So delusions, of what Rich. And of course how about all those sprint championships that Jimbo won plus all his others.

Willabee
12-16-2008, 10:31 AM
Ron/Willabee:..In the spirit of the season why can't we all just get along?

There's no bickering here.....Ron simply said that while Team Merc was blowing over a bunch of boats, OMC took the first three places at Parker in 1972.....therefore proving his hypothesis that OMC would have won the blown out Miami 225 in February. I said that the Merc Racing Team wasn't at Parker in 1972. They tried to win it with just one boat and that the "Flying Circus" took place 1971. Ron felt that only one word, the word "WRONG", accurately described my recollection of those events. He also felt that Team Merc ate quite well at Parker in 1972.....something about OMC putting on a banquet of some sorts and "handing Merc their LUNCH". :(

Master Oil has posted the Zikes column from the day which clearly says that the Merc Racing Team wasn't there in 1972.....and I'll add that if they ain't there, it's mighty difficult to serve them any type of LUNCH :rolleyes:

In his own way, Ron has now said that "WRONG" may not have been the most accurate word to use. He has commented..... "I might be eating my words"....."Maybe it was 1971 that Merc had their blowovers"....."I guess they didn't come to Parker". I think that is Ron's way of saying that just guessing, it's possible that maybe I might have been right afterall. Sooooo, now I think I'll just go to LUNCH. :D

John Schubert T*A*R*T
12-16-2008, 02:42 PM
There's no bickering here.....Ron simply said that while Team Merc was blowing over a bunch of boats, OMC took the first three places at Parker in 1972.....therefore proving his hypothesis that OMC would have won the blown out Miami 225 in February. I said that the Merc Racing Team wasn't at Parker in 1972. They tried to win it with just one boat and that the "Flying Circus" took place 1971. Ron felt that only one word, the word "WRONG", accurately described my recollection of those events. He also felt that Team Merc ate quite well at Parker in 1972.....something about OMC putting on a banquet of some sorts and "handing Merc their LUNCH". :(

Master Oil has posted the Zikes column from the day which clearly says that the Merc Racing Team wasn't there in 1972.....and I'll add that if they ain't there, it's mighty difficult to serve them any type of LUNCH :rolleyes:

In his own way, Ron has now said that "WRONG" may not have been the most accurate word to use. He has commented..... "I might be eating my words"....."Maybe it was 1971 that Merc had their blowovers"....."I guess they didn't come to Parker". I think that is Ron's way of saying that just guessing, it's possible that maybe I might have been right afterall. Sooooo, now I think I'll just go to LUNCH. :D

Bill,

rec'd a message from BRF as a subscriber here & it referred to your post "But did I say anything offensive" not at all. (yet I don't see the post just this earlier one) I was referring to T2X's post about MOC drivers being delusional.

Willabee
12-16-2008, 03:42 PM
Bill,

rec'd a message from BRF as a subscriber here & it referred to your post "But did I say anything offensive" not at all. (yet I don't see the post just this earlier one) I was referring to T2X's post about MOC drivers being delusional.

Your question to T2x was "how in the world can you think what you stated was any better" and I got to thinking that maybe you were comparing it to something I had said. I did write that T2x was just funnin' and asked if you thought I had said something offensive. It was only posted for a minute and then I decided the post wasn't necessary so I deleted it. Thanks for the response just the same, I do appreciate it.

Ron Hill
12-16-2008, 03:56 PM
There's no bickering here...
I agree...

Say what anyone wants, but we were lucking that two companies had a war going on. I got to see places I had never seen. I got ro races places I'd only dreamed about...I visitied Berlin where Jessie Owens ran. I got to Paris five times....

I raced all over the USA and got paid for it (Expenses)....I half paid for my first house from OMC sponsorship. I walked away in one piece and I met a lot of fine people along the way....

Pictures from Modern Outboard, November 1971.

I remember Morgan City. I got there,the OMC truck had about 25 props in it, 18 said JIMBO on them. I had ONE... Saturday, late I walked through the pits, one guy was still working on his rig...It was Reggie Fountain...I was windy and cold, but Reggie was warm and friendly...

After that race I vowed to never go to a race where I was to drive and OMC boat without my own propellers...

At Parker 1973, Reggie and Brett May tested Every Mercury motor on the truck (In one day)....Seems it was like 25 power heads//Willabee would know the exact....Mike Wallace and I finished second that year at Parker witha 17 pitch Mercury prop that i owned and had worked on!!!!

ADD: We did have some great races in those days!

Master Oil Racing Team
12-16-2008, 04:04 PM
I think it's normal to take a stand for your brand without being petty about it. I took all those comments at just good natured pokes. All the teams have a lot of bragging rights to be proud of. The sad time was when one or the other teams picked up their marbles, then quit butting head to head at big races. I was always an OMC fan myself, but the two friends that tried to get me to come over to OPC in 71 and 72 were Merc guys...Billy Seebold and Bob Hering. Bob was working hard on Jerry Waldman too. Whether he would have ever followed a lot of other ex alky racers, we'll never know. Just my thoughts.

Anyway...not trying to stir the pot (well maybe in a joking manner only;):D) but here is another contribution to boating history from more of Mels column from January 1982.

Master Oil Racing Team
12-16-2008, 04:27 PM
Okay...Here's Parker 1972 including the front and back covers from the April 1972 Powerboat.

T2x
12-17-2008, 09:42 AM
Now how in the world can you think what you stated is any better. OMC drivers had "Delusions".

It may very well be true that we didn't win as many races as Mercury, but we did well. I for one won the "S" class marathon nationals in 970 & 1971, was perhaps 20 minutes in front in the 1971 Paris race until we blew up, Sanders & Posey won Paris, Parker & Johnny won Havasu, and many more achievements way too numerous to mention.

So delusions, of what Rich. And of course how about all those sprint championships that Jimbo won plus all his others.

You guys never could tell when somebody had his tongue in his cheek......:p

Merry Christmas John.

T2x

Miss BK
12-17-2008, 11:06 AM
This is a true story, and I probably shouldn't tell it but....here it goes...

My brother raced stock outboards and was frequently assisted by the famous Ted May. We were so indebted to him, that I told him that my sister in law and I would be at Havasu and Parker, and that he could count on us to be his score keepers (each boat was required to provide 2 scorers).

So, every year for Havasu, we made our reservations at the Penny Lodge or Sands - where many other OMC drivers also stayed. There was no lounge - no cafe - no bar. Sometimes we would have a group steak dinner at the Golden Horseshoe, and that was about as 'wild' as it got. The most fun I remember having at the hotel usually involved washing boats with motel towels (and getting scolded by staff) and using the laundry room to wash uniforms.

According to Ted, lights needed to be out by 9:30pm so we could be up, bright and bushy-tailed, long before the sun rose. He kept us straight.

But we quickly discovered not all teams went to bed at 9:30 - there was a lot of wild stuff happening over at the Nautical Inn - skinny dipping, beer drinking, dancing til 1am - the same place where Team Mercury was staying.....hmm....

So, one year, I brought a girlfriend of mine with me who knew nothing about boat racing at all. When we were sure Ted and the rest of the OMC people were sound asleep, we slipped out of our room and left for the Nautical Inn......

I told her to NEVER tell anyone back at the motel where we went, nor mention to anyone what team we were there with - While at the Nautical, just pretend we were spectators - and that's it.

So we partied with various people who didn't know us - and we saw lots of "TEAM MERCURY" black jackets. My friend Judy ended up sitting at some other table and was talking to a group of guys when I froze after hearing one of them say,
"HEY!! YOU ARE FROM OMC, AREN'T YOU!?!"

Judy, who was on the ditzy side anyway, shot back at him and said,
"WE ARE NOT!~~ WE ARE FROM RIGHT HERE IN THE UNITED STATES!"

She thought he had said, "OVERSEAS". LOL :D :eek: :p I laughed so hard I couldn't even stand up....LOL

The guy was then convinced we must be spectators afterall. :D

The next year, Don Johnston (when he first was racing tunnels asTed's co driver) found out what we were doing and asked if he could sneak out with us to the Nautical.....even though I was sure this would blow our cover, we were able to sneak him into one of the "hotel room" parties of a main Team Mercury driver. The next day, Don giggled as he told us he had made several long distance phone calls on the drivers' hotel room phone while he was there! CALLS MADE TO KINGMAN - MY HOME TOWN!!! OMG, I could have shot him! :D But that driver never came after me.....maybe he never noticed...I HOPE! lol

And after all these years, I've never mentioned this story to that Mercury driver either, even though we are friends today! lol

The competition between OMC and Mercury was great to watch, but there were so many other parts people probably don't know about that made it even MORE fun! At least for a couple of girls from Arizona. ;)

I do miss all that 'secretive' stuff.

John Schubert T*A*R*T
12-17-2008, 11:43 AM
Merry Christmas John.

T2x[/QUOTE]

Same to you!

Willabee
12-17-2008, 11:58 AM
This is a true story, and I probably shouldn't tell it but....here it goes.....But we quickly discovered not all teams went to bed at 9:30 - there was a lot of wild stuff happening over at the Nautical Inn - skinny dipping, beer drinking, dancing til 1am - the same place where Team Mercury was staying.....hmm....

"HEY!! YOU ARE FROM OMC, AREN'T YOU!?!" .....Judy, who was on the ditzy side anyway, shot back at him and said,
"WE ARE NOT!~~ WE ARE FROM RIGHT HERE IN THE UNITED STATES!"

And after all these years, I've never mentioned this story to that Mercury driver either, even though we are friends today! lol

The competition between OMC and Mercury was great to watch, but there were so many other parts people probably don't know about that made it even MORE fun! At least for a couple of girls from Arizona. ;)

First, a small correction.....you should always tell boat racing stories, especially when they are as entertaining as that one. I have a bunch of Nautical Inn memories, just can't talk about most of them.:o:o

Let me guess, Judy is a blonde. If not, she should be.....that response ranks right up there with the best them. You going to let us know who the Merc driver was? It was an "experience", the company motto could have been Mercury, Where The Action Is!:D :D

Master Oil Racing Team
12-17-2008, 05:16 PM
THAT...was a hilarious story Val. No amount of denial could have shut off suspicion like Judy's retort.:D

Master Oil Racing Team
12-18-2008, 08:26 AM
I got sidetracked while looking for Morgan City, but these little items were interesting so I decided to post them. The first one about Bob Hering was from a Mel Zikes column. The second one was about an OPC Marathon at Miami in 1971. I thought John might remember that. Gene Lanham won completing 78 laps. Ted May set new records in UI in the One, Two, ahd Three hour marks.

John Schubert T*A*R*T
12-18-2008, 08:31 AM
I got sidetracked while looking for Morgan City, but these little items were interesting so I decided to post them. The first one about Bob Hering was from a Mel Zikes column. The second one was about an OPC Marathon at Miami in 1971. I thought John might remember that. Gene Lanham won completing 78 laps. Ted May set new records in UI in the One, Two, ahd Three hour marks.

Yes, Ted drove a mini open cockpit Molinari that Jim Briggs saw in Italy then bought & had it shipped to the US. Ted drove it at Miami with a Johnson GT115. Wayne, can you copy & send tha complete article to me? Or post.

Master Oil Racing Team
12-18-2008, 08:44 AM
I'll post it on the John Schubert thread John. That way after you have read it, you can make comments there and so we can find it on your personal story thread easier. If you still want a hard copy, let me know.

Ron Hill
12-19-2008, 02:42 PM
Tinker came down here "ARMED" yesterday and wanted to tell his side of the story, but MY PROJECTS kept he and I away from my computer....as Tinker George doesn have a computer nor does he want one....Like he says, "I watch Ron get so screwed up with his computer. Why do I need my blood pressure up? (Just because I once printed 20 pgaes of something, while Tinker watched, and everytime I tried to cancel, it printed another page...

This paper is 38 years old....We'll get Tinker down here and get his side yet! (Not that anyone REALLY said anything about his driving skills...).

Willabee
12-19-2008, 02:46 PM
Wayne what were the results from Morgan City? Seems I have some pictures from there...Windy, rough and onlyb225 miles...Seems I might have been 4th or 5th...

I remember the Morgan City race, had never been there before and was really looking forward to seeing that part of the country. After we got settled in our hotel rooms, a few of us went out to see what the local fare had to offer. We ran into a bunch of the OMC factory techs (Rich McKinnley sp and friends) at one of the saloons. As we started chatting I noticed that at least two of them were banged up pretty good. I asked if they had been in a car wreck on the way down and they responded with some advice....."When these Cajuns speak, listen close, because if you get it wrong they get pretty upset!" They had arrived a day before us and gone out on the town. Apparently there had been a "misunderstanding" with some of the locals, and the Illinois boys didn't do so well. :o I knew I had a bit of a hearing problem, so I decided that I'd just stay pretty quiet on this trip.

Next, we want to do some testing, but this race will require the use of cranes to launch and they will not be in place until Saturday. We drive around until we find a ramp. It's an old wooden ramp, didn't look too safe, but it worked. After carefully backing the first trailer down the ramp, I walked out onto this adjacent rickety old wooden dock to make sure the engine was pumping water as it warmed. As I looked around in that small bay, my eyes came across the biggest snake I had ever seen! :eek: It was lying on some pads just sunning itself, but as far as I was concerned, it was in attack position and was coming after me! I got off of that dock and asked what the hell that thing was. Unfortunately, I learned that those moccasins live in the lake and make their nests underwater, generally near a stump or something similar. Every year, someone steps into one of those nests and is usually dead before they can make it back to shore.

I thought, this is just "f"ing great.....I'm in the land that time forgot..... for a boat race..... and we can't go near the water!!!!!

Well, we all managed to overcome the obstacles and show up for a boat race on Sunday morning. There was a little Miami 225 deja vu, the wind is really blowing and we're wondering if they will pull the plug on this one too. :( This will be the first head to head between the factorys in 72. This is a Merc Team running all C6's for the first time against the new 99.9 OMC that made it's debut at Parker.

All the the entrys do a hot lap and Bill Sirois has a sour engine. I had one man, including myself, to hold each of our boats for the mod LeMans start. I tell the troops that I'll get Sirois and have someone else hold Stickle's Molinari. The truth of that call is that the other guys could have fixed Sirois's problem faster than me, but this kept me out of that water (and away from those snakes) for the start.:o:o.....I'm not as dumb as I look. The wind is really blowing and everyone is having a hard time keeping their boat lined up for the start. A spectator hollered at me asking if he could help hold, I yelled back that that would be great! With that, a number of the locals walked out and grabbed one of the boats (they are a lot braver than me), I thought that was really cool. Strictly by coincidence, Sirois was put back in right at the start, so I didn't have to go in.....I also thought that was really cool.:D

Jimbo led to the first turn, Hering blew past him and it was a Mercury race from there. Hering and Seebold led all of the laps, with Seebold having one less pit stop than Hering and winning by a slim margin. Jimbo did finish 3rd, but I don't think he was on the lead lap. Ron Hill did finish 5th and David Alaniz came in 20th. I think this was Reggie Fountain's first race in a full blown Team boat and he tried a tad too hard, blowing over on the fourth lap. The Merc C6 clearly dominated the new OMC mill.

Here's a shot of the first three (Hering & Jimbo from Powerboat).....the boat cowl on Hering's Molinari looks a little wierd because he had flipped while testing at Lake X and some of the damage to the rear of it had been removed.

John Schubert T*A*R*T
12-19-2008, 03:11 PM
Willabee,

While has nothing to do with this post, but do you remember the excursion that Seebold hosted for some Merc guys Velden, you & at the bar at the Hilton, I was sitting alone, and he said for me to tag along. It was a private party upstairs in that section of town that good religious people avoid. You were there for a whole minute & departed. Do you recall later that he had charged it on his credit card & when the bill came Lynn opened it or thats what the legend says.

David Alaniz
12-19-2008, 06:37 PM
[QUOTE=Willabee;65307]I remember the Morgan City race........
the biggest snake I had ever seen! :eek:........... Ron Hill did finish 5th and David Alaniz came in 20th. QUOTE]

Your story had my memory going...I remember being there. It was rough, real rough when I made a few test laps. Someone said if I did it again I would be upside down. Hmmm I thought - close to the merc boys - Hmmm maybe a real motor. Hmmm.....

I remember getting lined up for the start and we had to stay in that positon for the longest time. Later found out some "guy" didn't want to get his feet wet.:D As I was sitting there I couldn't believe it, I was taking on water and fast. I was trying to hollar back at my dad but no one could understand my $#$@!* words. It was too late, we were off and going. I don't think I ever fought a ride as that one. Down the straights and the water would pool in the rear - what a ride. Going into every turn the water would rush to the front splashing everywhere. It felt like she was going to roll every time. Then finially it got worse in a turn and the boat dug causing me to come off plain and water in the stack. I don't know how many laps I ran but it couldn't have been many, real disappointment. Back at the ramp the plugs were pulled and it drained for a long time. I don't recall how the water got in right now. The last time we would run with plugs.

As for the snake - it was a typical baby in training. Some races we would have a mandatory stop for snake crossings.:D

Master Oil Racing Team
12-19-2008, 06:58 PM
......the bad with the good. Seems like I remember mostly the good and the disasters. I guess that's normal. But when I talk to Joe and others about what they remember...they throw in other stuff.....even about races I had forgotten about. People can see the same event, but come away with a different perspective. When they call it up years later...it can trigger something you did not remember. One of the things I love about BRF is all these stories just like the one's in this thread. You guys are filling in the details of the races that were happening that no one on the beach could see.:cool: And...as you said David....it was the last time you ran with plugs. How many different stories could racers tell a story that happened that ended with the last time they did that? That could be a thread in itself. Keep up the remembrances and stories.:)

Ron Hill
12-19-2008, 07:36 PM
http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1463&page=12

I remember several things about Morgan City....Seems like the Saracusa's had a bar in town with a 280 Hydro sawed in half down the middle and hanging on the wall.

Also seems like, one of the Saracusa's got killed in a 280 hydro, and the brother went on to become a U. S. Senator from Louisiana. Not sure if it was this race or another that we went to this bar. They were good propeller customers, also.

I landed in New Orleans, about 11 P.M. local time, and while picking up my rent car I was told Morgan City was like 150 miles from the airport, and that it had rained 12 inches that day. Coming from California, 150 miles seemed like two hours and a little...which wasn't bad. But 12 inches of rain??? California where I lived anyway got about 12 inches a year...

I start driving and the brakes don't work very well, but the water in about running board deep, finally I get out of town and I come to some town, thinking I'd stop to get a beer.....I'd start to slow down, but I was thinking, "Damn, these breaks are really wet"...By the time I'd get slowed down I'd pass the bar I was trying to stop at......but I'd see there was a fight in the street anyway. A serious Pier Sixer.....I'd say, "Well, I'll get a beeri in the next town.."

I swear there was a town every ten miles, and in front of EVERY BAR there was a "PIER SIXER" in progess...Usually two guys just kicking the fire out each other.

Got to Morgan City about three A.M. Next morning I realized my brakes weren't wet, they were totally shot...Metal to metal....I called the rent car place and had them send me a new car...

Ziggy Boettle, an OMC Engineer, picked me up and took me to where ever we we racing..Lake Pochatrain?????? Anyway, on the way Ziggy says, "Hill, how come you drive for OMC?" I think Ziggy knew I liked to talk. So, he figured I'd be telling him what a great driver I was and what a California "HOT SHOT" and all....but I just said...., "Ann Strang likes me.: (Charile Strang and CEO of OMC). Ziggy looked at me, got that Santa Claus look he gets, and never asked me again...

Another thing, if you look at my Scotti, number 175, that was Cesar Scotti's Havasu Boat. It was just like JIMBO's BLACK and White boat...The one Ted and Jimbo won Parker with...The one I didn't get to race in Miami.

I needed to move the seat back about a foot, but didn't have time. After finishing fifth, the decision was to give Ted May that boat and get ME and Sprint Scotti...

Found a few pictures from the start. These are Maragrite Wood's pictures.

Ron Hill
12-20-2008, 10:53 AM
That last picture, #35 is Ted May in Barry Wood's boat....

You can see Reggie's boat here, #77 is Mike Wallace in a new SPRINT SCOTTI...

Seems when Reggie blew over, they put out a caution flag, so I slowed as instructed at the drivers meeting....Seems Downard blew by me before I realize no one was slowing. The weather got worse during the race, and with my set up, (too big of prop) no way could I hang the boat....

When Mike Downard acme and stayed at my house, 1998, (He stayed about two weeks, wish he'd visti again.) I told him I was still mad at him for passing during the caution... LOL!!!

peterse90
12-23-2008, 11:00 PM
Pictures from Modern Outboard, November 1971.

ADD: We did have some great races in those days![/QUOTE]

Ron, glad to see you putting my November issue of MODERN OUTBOARD to good use...I knew you would be a much better 'scanner' than me!

Back in the early & mid seventies here in Canada we also had some pretty good OMC versus Mercury battles both on and off the water....
in 1973 in Magog, Quebec (Canadian Marathon Nationals) when the strong winds put an end to the afternoon's racing the drivers with some time to kill decided to have a 'friendly' football game that some how primarily became the OMC factory drivers against the Merc factory team.
On paper team OMC had the definite advantage; Jim Cascadden at well over 200 pounds actually looked like a real football player and had 'popeye' arms; Tom Wood had a Dick Butkus demeaner and a stare that could scare the _ _ _ _ out of you and Roger Wood was a toned down version of Tom.
Team Mercury had Oley Berkis, big but known as a 'meanie', Mark Rotharmel who at age 19 was understandably a little apprehensive about the whole idea, and Spencer Dunn who was maybe 5' 6" (give of take an inch)...
It didn't take long before quite a crowd gathered as you could tell that this was getting pretty serious and although the quality of play was something less than spectacular you just knew they weren't going to stop until a winner could be declared...
and the winner was team Mercury on the only touchdown scored; Spencer Dunn on a 'statue-of-liberty' play running for his life with Tom Wood about a yard behind him with those Tom Wood eyes rolled back and numerous expletives coming from Tom so Spencer knew he was right behind...fun stuff for sure!!!!!!!!
By the way Mercury won S -class (Oley Berkis) after Spencer blew-over.
OMC won U-class, Barry Taylor if I remember.

On another note, Spencer Dunn, Tom Wood and Jim Cascadden were all Havasu drivers from 70 thru 72.

Willabee
12-26-2008, 01:28 PM
Tinker came down here "ARMED" yesterday and wanted to tell his side of the story,......
This paper is 38 years old....We'll get Tinker down here and get his side yet! (Not that anyone REALLY said anything about his driving skills...).

If memory serves, that race recap you posted was something that Molly Ballou used to do for Mercury after the Havasu and Parker races. I remember them now that you've posted one, I had forgotten all about them. That particular summary shows that Petty lost a lower unit Saturday and lost about 26 minutes. That was the same thing that happened to Renato, failed SSM and lost about a half hour. Molinari would have won the Championship easily in 1970 if that unit hadn't blown in the last half hour of Saturday's run. He had led for the first 3 1/2 hours and he recorded the most laps on Sunday.

Tell Tinker that if there are two versions of the Saturday pit stop, they have to be.....
#1 - what really happened and
#2 - the story he tells. :D

Willabee
12-26-2008, 01:59 PM
Willabee,

While has nothing to do with this post, but do you remember the excursion that Seebold hosted for some Merc guys Velden, you & at the bar at the Hilton, I was sitting alone, and he said for me to tag along. It was a private party upstairs in that section of town that good religious people avoid. You were there for a whole minute & departed. Do you recall later that he had charged it on his credit card & when the bill came Lynn opened it or thats what the legend says.

Sorry to say that I don't remember that particular "little excursion". However, I do recall that sometime later, back in the states, he was talking about all the hot water he was in because he had had been dumb enough to put something on his credit card that should never have been charged. :eek:

I also remember we were looking for The Big "B" one night and couldn't find him. Suspecting that he might have headed for that location alone, I grabbed a couple of the guys and we went to check it out. Sure enough, when we walked through the door I could hear him complaining very loudly as he was coming down the stairs. He was telling someone that "he wanted his money back, that he was not satisfied with his purchase". He's the only person in the world I know that would even consider trying to pull that off! :D:D

T2x
12-29-2008, 06:19 AM
There are some stories that are best "laid" to rest............:D

J. Sherlock
12-30-2008, 01:17 PM
there Are Some Stories That Are Best "laid" To Rest............:d

Ditto..... ;)

Judi Cable
06-01-2009, 12:25 PM
Dear Members- Modern Outboard 1971 Havasu Classic article is actually the 1970 Race. Bill Sirois won the race for Mercury with dual stackers on "Up Up & Away" in 1970. He again won for Mercury in 1971, but had dual Twisters for power! I am presently working on a video of Havasu 1971 Outboard World Championships. I am looking for an Official Program or Powerboat Mag. article for the 1971 race which would be approx. March 1972. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Mark Benson- Producer Goseetv/boatracing E-mail mrbenson55@gmail.com

Willabee
06-11-2009, 12:24 PM
Gene Lanham is looking for the official results, listing the top 10 at Parker, 1968. I checked my stuff and can't find them and was wondering if one of you old salts might be able to post them here.

peterse90
06-11-2009, 07:21 PM
Dear Members I am looking for an Official Program or Powerboat Mag. article for the 1971 race which would be approx. March 1972. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Mark Benson- Producer Goseetv/boatracing E-mail mrbenson55@gmail.com

I have a copy of Powerboat (February 1971) that has the Havasu 1970 race article.
If you want to send me a private e-mail I can maybe get you a copy of the article.

Ron Hill
06-12-2009, 08:26 AM
I have the 1969 Program, somewhere, but I think it may only have the top ten..

http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3054&highlight=Parker+Enduro+1968

1970 Hot Boat covered the race...."How About That" won a Howard hull owned by Howard McCormick out of Oklahoma City. Bobby Massey won the outboard division...I think...

http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3&highlight=Switzer+Wings

Willabee
06-12-2009, 08:59 AM
I have the 1969 Program, somewhere, but I think it may only have the top ten..

http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3054&highlight=Parker+Enduro+1968

1970 Hot Boat covered the race...."How About That" won a Howard hull owned by Howard McCormick out of Oklahoma City. Bobby Massey won the outboard division...I think...

http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3&highlight=Switzer+Wings

Hi Ron, Gene is looking for the top 10 from 1968. McCormick's Howard hull won in 69, Merten was 2nd overall, first outboard. I'd guess the results would be in a Powerboat from about May or June 1968....can't find mine. I know Brummett won in 68, was thinking just one outboard cracked the top ten?

Ron Hill
06-12-2009, 09:11 AM
Massey was first outboard and 4th overall, Don Harper was fifth with three MErcs, Lonnie Todd in U-3 (magazine is ripped) was 6th...,
T-298 was 7th with Bill Olney
J>ernest Threlkeld was 8th

Will post pictures later....got stuff to do today...Hot Boat May/June 1968 60 Cents....."Outboards Sweep Parker"...

Willabee
06-12-2009, 09:45 AM
Massey was first outboard and 4th overall, Don Harper was fifth with three MErcs, Lonnie Todd in U-3 (magazine is ripped) was 6th...,T-298 was 7th with Bill OlneyJ>ernest Threlkeld was 8th.

Boy, I missed that one a ton! Maybe 67 had only one outboard in the top ten?

Thank you, that's what Gene wanted to know. He and Bill Sirois drove Lonnie Todd's Wing that year. Then he bought it, put #94 on it, named it Redbird and raced it for ten more years. :D

I can save you some picture time, here's Massey, Lanham, Olney and Threlkeld.....don't have Harper.

Ron Hill
06-13-2009, 09:22 AM
Hot Boat Magazine May/June 1968...

This was the year that Fred Hauenstein (Happy Birthday today June 13/09...Fred is 66..) and I drove the first DeSilva Wing with twin 100 inch Evinrudes...There were only four at the race, two were on Ernie's 69 Switzer, Ted may Co-Drove with Ernie (AND THAT IS TED DRIVING IN THE PICTURE)...Ernie was ateacher, a band leader). On second thought, there may have been six 100 inchers as the Berghauers had two on the Schultz...

Freddy and I lead the outboard division for a few hours. Then the water line broke and sprayed the wiring. As I was limping back to the pits on one engine, Dewey Berghauer hit my wave and nose dived. the twin Schultz, totally destroying the boat.....ripping his Gentex jacket off... The next race the Berghauer brothers and I had new Lifeline jackets made for outboard marathoning...

pillsiv
09-25-2013, 09:43 AM
Is there away to get a copy of some of the shots?? Our boat is in two of the shots.

Ron Hill
09-25-2013, 10:13 AM
I actually have my own scanner on my desk, now. But, I got a NEW computer and haven't had time to see if the scanner works. The second problem, I really have boxes of stuff and I start to look for something and I get side tracked. I'm not sure how I get side tracked, but I do. But let me know which pictures you want and I see what I can come up with.