PDA

View Full Version : Jack Schafer: Such Crust!

Ron Hill
01-23-2008, 05:51 PM
I met Jack probably 40 years ago. He told me his dad had owned the Unlimited hydro "Such Crust" and that he's just moved here from Texas. Seems Jim McKean and Bob Weikart both worked for Continental Airlines and lived in Fountain Valley, California. I kind of thought Jack worked for Continental Airlines as I knew he flew planes. (Jack actually sold airplanes and has for many years. He specializes in Corporate Aircraft).

Jack raced 280 inboard hydro, a Ron Jones owned by Jerry Styles and Jack. When Jack raced 280, I was helping Rod Zapf a lot, and never was too close or friendly with Jack or Jerry. I was busy, they were busy, we just never were really close.

Jack and I run into each other, now and then at lunch or at a local restaurant. I asked him to share some of his pictures and this is what he sent. I know he drove Unlimiteds, also, but I don't know much about these pictures, other than to say, "Thanks, Jack for sharing"...I'm hoping Jack and other will add to this posting. There are 60 pictures. 59 more pictures, can't seem to get the others posted.

Master Oil Racing Team
01-23-2008, 07:03 PM
I didn't remember Jack's last name, but when I saw the name in the thread "Such Crust" I immediately thought......Unlimited. I think I must remember it from "Boat News" in the mid to late 60's. Can't wait for the pics.:cool:

ADD: See if you can find out about the number T-5. We had no stocks in Texas except maybe up toward Oklahoma and maybe Northeast...possibly due east from the Sabine.

Jeff Lytle
01-23-2008, 08:08 PM
Tons of history on the man, and his boats here:

http://www.thunderboats.org/history/history0417.html

Ron Hill
01-23-2008, 10:25 PM
Jeff, thanks for the post on Jack's dad... Schafer's son, Jack Schafer, Jr., has continued the family's hydroplane tradition. Young Jack qualified as an Unlimited driver in 1975 with Bob Patterson's MISS VAN'S P-X. His one race victory is the 1983 Tri-Cities (Washington) Columbia Cup with R.B. Taylor's AMERICAN SPEEDY PRINTING.

58 more pictures to go...

Ron Hill
01-23-2008, 10:32 PM
I may need help here for Mark 75-H... I can only post one picture at a time.

schafer
01-31-2012, 11:08 PM
T-5 I lived in Dallas in the 60's. I ran mostly in Oklahoma during the 1968 & 1969 season.