PDA

View Full Version : Floyd Hopkins

Master Oil Racing Team
03-03-2005, 08:36 PM
Just heard that Floyd Hopkins has passed on. Have a lot of great memories of him. Was glad I went to Alex in 2003 with my kids. He was there and we had a good talk. I have some photos to post, but until then I have a story to tell.

In 1969 Bobby Olsen was really hot in A hydro. Besides him Jerry Waldman, Bob Hering and some others we were nowhere close to being competitive with that bunch. We had two A Konigs and nothing we tried got us closer than a couple of mph slower. We could get speed, but lose acceleration & visa versa.

We called up Floyd and asked him to come down. Bring some props and a hammer. My dad, Jack Chance and I were at our testing pits (Dad's front yard) with Floyd, and the object was to boost our horsepower with Nitro. We had never experimented with it before. Until we got another motor or figured out how to catch up, we better try something. Our Canandian friends Chuck (?...help me with the names) had given us some tips on running nitro in the fuel.

We didn't know what we would need in the way of props if we could get more horsepower, so we were going to test and do it on the fly. Floyd was right there when we cranked up that A. We had not done anything prior to that because none of us had any previous experience with nitro. If Floyd had any experience he didn't mention it. If he did he probably thought he knew what we were doing. Them motor ,including timing ,was as we always set it.

We had the boat ( Marchetti) on stands in the water and we wanted to crank it up first to warm it up before testing on the water. My dad pulled the rope and it started right up. I goosed it and rooooooooooommmm---it took off! It sounded like it was turning 15,000 rpm's. I pushed in the switch.... Nothing! I pulled the safety cord.... Nothing! I unplugged it... Nothing! I was trying to pull the fuel hose off when my dad put both hands over the carbuerator (all of this took place within a few seconds).

When the engine was killed we looked around and Floyd was behind a big willow tree about 20 feet away. We adjusted the timing and it ran away with us once more before we got it right. Floyd stayed by the tree until we was sure that motor wasn't going to turn into a grenade.

Ron Hill
03-03-2005, 09:36 PM
I'm guessing Chuck from Canada was Chuck Simon...He bought Harry Bartolomei's VC after Valleyfield in 1967....Harry "KNEW" Nitro...

Ted May always taught us "KIDS" there were the "QUICK" and the "Dead"...Floyd knew when to run for cover..

Add: Chuck and Lou Simon did motor work from Harmon Herbert (R Mun E Bear)..

At Depue, I stuck my "C" Konig...Chuck helped my dad pull that Konig apart, cleaned up the cyclinder and put her back together...He and may dad worked the better part of a day...Seems Lou was there adding his help too...

Both, just nice Boat Racers from Canada!!!

Jeff Lytle
03-04-2005, 07:33 AM
I had 2 Simon Konigs as well. A 2 banger FB and a VB.
Both ran nitro, both were fast!! I bought the VB off Doug Thompson who won the US NAtionals with it. I tossed a retainer out the rotary valve the 1st race I ran it, and got in touch with Chuck and Lou who were more than pleased to work on the engine again. They still had ALL the specs on the engine, and did the work right away.
To see the inside of that engine was a real joy-----Highly polished, and ported to the nines.

The Simon fuel mix was as follows:

Per 800 ounces (or 5 imperial gallons)

40 oz benzine
44 oz castor oil
160 oz nitromethane (20%)
balance methanol

Armand Hebert was a Crazy Kanuck if I ever saw one !! He too LOVED his nitromethane.

BTW Wayne, I had an FA that did that too--even hands over the carbs didn't stop this puppy-- :eek:

Jeff Lytle
03-04-2005, 09:56 AM
We did some business, always a pleasure to speak to, always on time.
My condolences to Glen and the family.

Master Oil Racing Team
03-04-2005, 10:09 AM
Ron--You got it right. Don't know how I could forget Chuck's last name. He was out of racing for awhile after two rocks fell off a truck and crashed through his windshield. He was lucky he wasn't killed. One crushed some bones in his hand, and the other his skull. I think he had to have a plate put in.

Jeff--Here's your crazy kanuck.

Jeff Lytle
03-04-2005, 10:50 AM
Whully S#$T!! I never expected that!!

I have never seen ANY pics of Armand.........NEVER. You DO have quite the collection Wayne.
Any pics of him racing? Remember he had a Butts with a red cowling named "Miss Pharmacie Vachon". On the cowling it said "L'Pic 4". I remember seeing a Butts ad in Propeller many many years ago that showed that boat in a pic taken from overhead. Armand was in the cockpit, Gentex on, helmet off with a BIG grin.

Master Oil Racing Team
03-04-2005, 10:57 AM
Floyd took these pictures at Alexandria, put the captions on and sent them to my dad. I came across them about two months ago. I mounted them in sequence and hung them in our racing room.

Jeff Lytle
03-04-2005, 11:25 AM
That blue boat sitting on the trailer......#500 belonged to a buddy of mine, Wes Smith. Another Krazy Kanuck

Where was that pic taken?? Alex??

Master Oil Racing Team
03-04-2005, 12:41 PM
Yep! That's Alex. I was looking through my files or Armand in his boat, but my light table is packed away and I can't find my loupe magnifier so I am have a hard time identifying some of the shots. Maybe this #42 is Armand. It's been awhile and some of the numbers don't come to me like they used to, but seems like this boat came out of Canada. BTW wonder what's with the exhaust on the other boat? Can't recall right now.

Jeff Lytle
03-04-2005, 01:00 PM
Actually, 42 is Doug Thompson, and that is the Simon engine I bought off him. I can tell by the Nydahl ignition.

WTF????? Can you imagine driving with the pipes sticking forward that way??

Jeff Lytle
03-04-2005, 01:25 PM
Here's a couple of pics of that engine. Anyone who follows Boat Racing Forums will have seen these before on other sites.
I was passionate about this engine. It was a work of art inside and out-----Till' I blew it up big time. Scott gave me some $$'s and I said FORGET IT!! and got a VD instead.
This was a Simon VB, serial #VB6900

I tried to get it back from the Widow of the collector I sold it to before everything was cleaned out at the Auction, but no dice.
Where it is now, I don't know, but I still have all the spec sheets for this engine that Chuck Simon gave me.

Peter Crowley
03-04-2005, 02:01 PM
If the pipes slide off the headers... you can fix them! If they fall off altogether... you don't loose them!

Jeff Lytle
03-04-2005, 03:07 PM
Good one Peter! :D :D

Master Oil Racing Team
03-04-2005, 04:33 PM
Those pipes did come off. Looked at an earlier photo & they were facing the right way. Lucky shot!

These pipes are backwards for real.

Jeff Lytle
03-04-2005, 05:17 PM
Yeah, but why??

Dan M
03-04-2005, 05:38 PM
I seem to remember that Kay Harrison had run with pipes facing backwards in the late 60's or early 70's. I know that I saw him run them at the race they used to have in Chicago in the locks between Lake Michigan and the Chicago river. I was real treacherous getting the boats down to the water. The banks were large chenks of concrete and the water got deep real fast.

Dan

Master Oil Racing Team
03-04-2005, 07:24 PM
Dan--I was thinking the same thing. When I looked at he photo prior to scanning it, Kay came to mind, but this was a Kirts hydro. I didn't remember them running pipes like that. If you look close, the stingers are pointed up so I think the whole bracket came loose and when I snapped the picture the assembly just happened to be horizontal. I've taken several photos of boats when one or two came loose and they are always at angles. Something in the back of my mind recalls that Kay and Millly built an engine that the powerhead was stationary and the lower unit swiveled.

Here's a photo of Kay Harrison and to the right is Bob Rhoades whom I posted a photo of today in "exhaust chambers" with the motor turned around and Zak Staks on the left side of the engine.

Dan M
03-04-2005, 08:30 PM
Wayne,

Could the picture in frame #14 with the backward pipes be an "A" Anzani of Ron Andersons? I remember at the Chicago race I had asked him why he had so many carburators on his motor, and his comment was that the more he put on, the faster it went. My memory is a little fuzzy too. I was in my early teens back then. Used to go to races with John Winzeler and Ray Hardy. Harry Pasturczak was a good mentor and friend.

Dan

Master Oil Racing Team
03-04-2005, 09:41 PM
Dan--Don't know. Bet somebody could tell by looking. Maybe Ron will tell us. I had one other shot I looked at and I don't recognize the person in the picture and there is not one with the boat number. When I get a chance I'll go to my B& W contacts. Sometimes I took both.

I probably have a picture somewhere of you in the pit area since you hung around with John Winzler, Ray Hardy and Harry Pasturzak.

John Schubert T*A*R*T
03-07-2005, 11:16 AM
Just heard that Floyd Hopkins has passed on. Have a lot of great memories of him. Was glad I went to Alex in 2003 with my kids. He was there and we had a good talk. I have some photos to post, but until then I have a story to tell.

In 1969 Bobby Olsen was really hot in A hydro. Besides him Jerry Waldman, Bob Hering and some others we were nowhere close to being competitive with that bunch. We had two A Konigs and nothing we tried got us closer than a couple of mph slower. We could get speed, but lose acceleration & visa versa.

We called up Floyd and asked him to come down. Bring some props and a hammer. My dad, Jack Chance and I were at our testing pits (Dad's front yard) with Floyd, and the object was to boost our horsepower with Nitro. We had never experimented with it before. Until we got another motor or figured out how to catch up, we better try something. Our Canandian friends Chuck (?...help me with the names) had given us some tips on running nitro in the fuel.

We didn't know what we would need in the way of props if we could get more horsepower, so we were going to test and do it on the fly. Floyd was right there when we cranked up that A. We had not done anything prior to that because none of us had any previous experience with nitro. If Floyd had any experience he didn't mention it. If he did he probably thought he knew what we were doing. Them motor ,including timing ,was as we always set it.

We had the boat ( Marchetti) on stands in the water and we wanted to crank it up first to warm it up before testing on the water. My dad pulled the rope and it started right up. I goosed it and rooooooooooommmm---it took off! It sounded like it was turning 15,000 rpm's. I pushed in the switch.... Nothing! I pulled the safety cord.... Nothing! I unplugged it... Nothing! I was trying to pull the fuel hose off when my dad put both hands over the carbuerator (all of this took place within a few seconds).

When the engine was killed we looked around and Floyd was behind a big willow tree about 20 feet away. We adjusted the timing and it ran away with us once more before we got it right. Floyd stayed by the tree until we was sure that motor wasn't going to turn into a grenade.
Wayne, actually I won the first heat with my Konig/Sid-Son hydro, couldn't quite get past Jess French who was in 2nd after starting last, so Jerry won with a 2nd & a 1st to my 1st & 3rd, yet my overall time was less then Jerry's.

In 1970 Olson was fast. I beat him in our qualifying heat & just prior to the drivers meeting Chuck & Lou Simon came over with their best "A" wheel & asked if I wanted to run it. I got permission to make a lap with it & it was faster then my "B" Looper, so decided to use it. However going out for the first heat couldn't get it on plane, as we weren't sliding pipes yet, I believe the Simons started that. WE also didn't do the ever decreasing size circles to build up the RPM's. Bob O'Connor & a bunch jumped the gun so I got a 2nd chance and changed props. A bunch of us jumped on the restart, but Don was legal. I chased him for 4 laps in the second heat but he was certainly the fastest in 1970.

Master Oil Racing Team
03-07-2005, 11:59 AM
John--You're right. I was trying to remember some of the other boats that were running up front, but these days I sometimes blur things together. We didn't run in the nationals in '69. We went up to pick up three new Marchettis from Nick and we stayed to watch the races. I was thinking back of the N.O.A. races in '69 at Alex. My dad wasn't with me on that trip to DePue so when I got back I told him all about it and some of the other guys that were there that we had never raced with. At that time we only raced Lone Star Boat Racing Association and N.O.A. It was his opinion that you can only learn to race properly if you compete with the best. Not that we didn't have good competition, but with A.P.B.A. we were more likely to see what everyone was doing from coast to coast. So we joined.

And I have a question from about that same time period that you may have the answer. It was at Alex (I think around '69-71) and two F runabouts (NOA, no deck rider) were in a dash to the finish line running together. One of the runabouts got airborne and the driver went across the line first without his boat, the driver still in his boat flashed across the line, then the driverless boat came across. The officials huddled up, then Carl Rylee announced that the boat with the driver was the winner. I'm not sure, but I think since the driver wasn't in his boat they may not have scored him at all. I was trying to remember who the drivers involved were.

Ron Hill
03-07-2005, 12:48 PM
"FOR SURE", THE GREAT ENGINE BUILDER, Ron Anderson...

John Schubert T*A*R*T
03-07-2005, 02:28 PM
John--You're right. I was trying to remember some of the other boats that were running up front, but these days I sometimes blur things together. We didn't run in the nationals in '69. We went up to pick up three new Marchettis from Nick and we stayed to watch the races. I was thinking back of the N.O.A. races in '69 at Alex. My dad wasn't with me on that trip to DePue so when I got back I told him all about it and some of the other guys that were there that we had never raced with. At that time we only raced Lone Star Boat Racing Association and N.O.A. It was his opinion that you can only learn to race properly if you compete with the best. Not that we didn't have good competition, but with A.P.B.A. we were more likely to see what everyone was doing from coast to coast. So we joined.

And I have a question from about that same time period that you may have the answer. It was at Alex (I think around '69-71) and two F runabouts (NOA, no deck rider) were in a dash to the finish line running together. One of the runabouts got airborne and the driver went across the line first without his boat, the driver still in his boat flashed across the line, then the driverless boat came across. The officials huddled up, then Carl Rylee announced that the boat with the driver was the winner. I'm not sure, but I think since the driver wasn't in his boat they may not have scored him at all. I was trying to remember who the drivers involved were.
Wayne, sorry can't help you with that one. Although Dick O'Dea whose "C" &"D" I drove from 1967 - 1969, might have ventured to NOA races, we never did. I guess mostly because we raced out of region 3 and had to travel to far to get there.

Master Oil Racing Team
03-07-2005, 09:22 PM
John-This is a great place to learn boat racing facts. I thought you raced for Dick longer than that. I'm a packrat when it comes to anything to do with racing, but Hurricane Celia took away a lot of stuff from 1966-1970, and my Dad's house burned to the ground in 1991 & lost some stuff. Fortunately I had a lot of it at my house.

John Schubert T*A*R*T
03-08-2005, 05:39 AM
John-This is a great place to learn boat racing facts. I thought you raced for Dick longer than that. I'm a packrat when it comes to anything to do with racing, but Hurricane Celia took away a lot of stuff from 1966-1970, and my Dad's house burned to the ground in 1991 & lost some stuff. Fortunately I had a lot of it at my house.
Actually Wayne, 1970 was my last year driving "A", "B", & "C" pro stuff of my own as I had the opportunity to drive for OMC/Jim Brigg's race team. Was in the lead at Paris at the 5 hour 10 min. mark. Unfortunately the race was 6 hrs. & threw a rod. Remember meeting your dad at Lakeland one year, can't recall the year and enjoyed watching you drive. You certainly did well against the likes of Johnny Yale, then driving for Dick, Jim Stone, driving for Elmer & Tim Butts, as well as the re-emergence of Jerry Kirts.

Master Oil Racing Team
03-08-2005, 08:10 AM
I remember you went to OPC along with a lot of other alky drivers, but I thought you raced at Lakeland in 1970. It was cold and I was thinking you had it on the ball because you had a wet suit.

John Schubert T*A*R*T
03-08-2005, 08:30 AM
I remember you went to OPC along with a lot of other alky drivers, but I thought you raced at Lakeland in 1970. It was cold and I was thinking you had it on the ball because you had a wet suit.
Sorry Wayne it wasn't me but we started wearing the wet suit tops in the 60's in the northeast. Races in early May and in to October can were rather cold. I can remember it snowing during a drivers meeting at a race in October in Southbury, CT.

Jeff Lytle
03-08-2005, 06:00 PM
[QUOTE=John Schubert T*A*R*T] Chuck & Lou Simon came over with their best "A" wheel & asked if I wanted to run it.QUOTE]

Hi John.......Did it look somthing like this........This lil' fella is a 7 x 13 that I use on my Simon FB:

John Schubert T*A*R*T
03-09-2005, 05:31 AM
It did, but no where near that size. Could never pull that. The one in the picture would have been a good MK55h DSH prop.

Master Oil Racing Team
03-09-2005, 07:23 AM
John--I slept a lotta nights since those days. I figured I better go through some of my stuff to refresh my memory. Look what I found.

John Schubert T*A*R*T
03-09-2005, 07:33 AM
Wayne,

All I can say is "WOW".

Thanks for posting.

Forgot to mention to you, about 4 years ago I was traveling around southern, TX with a product support manager that worked for me while working for Case IH, the tractor people, and went went right through downtown Alice, TX. I mentioned to my associates about you guys but couldn't remember company name and even at first couldn't remember "Baldy" or "Baldwin" until we were well past the area. Small world, but too bad I didn't remember, but probably a good thing. We would have told so many stories that I'd still be there.

BrocHill
03-09-2005, 08:03 AM
K-4 Ring of Fire, Marshall Grant's boat, I think, Dick Pond driving, G-86 Jerry Simmison, Y-100, John Riner Woods from St. Louis.

Master Oil Racing Team
03-09-2005, 09:32 AM
John--Let me know if you ever head down to South Texas again. Maybe you can come by and take a look at my new racing room. I live about 150 yards off the turn in the accompanying photo.

I found Ron and Ted's site just in time. I had not looked through my files in many years. Going through my photos I found some that were packed too tight and the plastic pages were breaking down. Some transparencies are probably beyond salvage, some I can save, but at least I can transfer the rest so they are not lost.

John Schubert T*A*R*T
03-09-2005, 09:36 AM
Wayne, send me an e-mail message on how to post pictures. I have one to post of my"A" in 1969.

Also, I've tried to add a picture of me in a Scotti at Parker to my profile but it says it's too large, something about pitels. Do you know how to down size it?

My e-mail address is jschubert@textron.com

WharfRat
03-09-2005, 12:57 PM
You can shoot it to me & I'll resize it for you John

email (txtazdad@hotmail.com)

Scott

Jeff Lytle
03-09-2005, 01:42 PM
I did Sam's, and my own too.

Send them, I'll do it if you want.

Jeff Lytle
03-09-2005, 02:57 PM
Wayne:

Notice I did John's Avitar??

You want one too?? Send me your best....2 of them, and I'll do it for you.

John Schubert T*A*R*T
03-09-2005, 03:00 PM
Thank you Jeff

WharfRat
03-09-2005, 03:52 PM
John's Pics

sorry John, didn't realize you wanted one resized for your avitar, didn't read it thouroghly enough

Ron Hill
03-09-2005, 04:29 PM
Quick question...
The year you ran the Scotti, how long before the race did you know you were going to run that boat.....I have a story to tell, but want your answer first...!

(The steering wheel did come off, right)????

Master Oil Racing Team
03-09-2005, 08:53 PM
Jeff & Wharf Rat:

I don't know what an Avitar is. I E-mailed John and told him what I had done, but it took me two days to figure it out and I wasn't sure I could explain it. I told him if it didn't work to get with you guys. I've learned more about E-mail, sending photos, editing, etc. in the last few weeks than I ever thought I could. This site may cause me to lose the spring garden.

Jeff Lytle
03-09-2005, 09:22 PM
Well, for those who need to know, an Avitar is the Small pic just under your name like mine to the left here.
A signature is what you see below....Pugh, Konig, DeSilva.

How do you like what I did to your Signature Wayne?? Send a good pic to me, and I'll do the wizard thing and post it for your avitar if you wish.

John Schubert T*A*R*T
03-10-2005, 05:52 AM
Quick question...
The year you ran the Scotti, how long before the race did you know you were going to run that boat.....I have a story to tell, but want your answer first...!

(The steering wheel did come off, right)????
Ron, I first ran it in Stuart, FL getting ready for the intro of the Rotarys. I then ran it for perhaps 6 - 8 laps in the Miami Marine Stadium for the intro with the mike being handled by Bill Muncey. Unknown at the time Evinrude had worked out a deal with Atlas Van Lines & Bill for him to race a couple of times for them for publicity purposes, this ended with his blow over at the Memphis race. Any way, back to the story. During the media reception at the hotel, Jim Briggs asked if I wanted to drive the boat the following week at Parker and Bill will co-driove. (Isent this story to you earlier in an e-mail). Obviously I accepted as like you I'm a racer. During the rotary show it carried your number "9", but I changed it at Parker to my number "44". I started the race & moved up steadily, not sure of what position I was in, but probably near the top as I was told & read in print later that other then the rotarys I had fastest lap. I turned the boat over to Bill who was holding his own, but eventually didn't come around as scheduled. Finally he did & pitted. Well, in the far turn, what was that the 6.5 miles away from the pits, the steering wheel spline stripped. So Bill grabbed the cables on each side of the wheel & got back to us. The OMC team headed by Soller drilled through the wheel & shaft & put a bolt through. While this was going on, Tom Ireland asked if I could stay with the boat after the last fuel stop, I agreed only if we were in contention. Back I go, but quickly found out the trim wires broke & the trim was stuck out. So slowly back to the pits again for repairs. The rest is history as at the last fuel stop Bill was suited up ready to go but I was told to stay with it as we were up to 3rd, but still finished 2 laps off the pace, even though I was told we were making up some of the lost laps.

jrome
03-15-2005, 07:54 PM
I have had Floyd on my mind since his passing and have been trying to find this old article in HYDROPLANE QUARTERLY - 1973. I knew Floyd for 50 years. I met him when I was 8 years old, and we were friends. He always had time to talk with me. We always had good visits. I know that Glen, Floyd's son, will miss him. Hope that you enjoy reading this old article. :)