PDA

View Full Version : Ted Miller, Looper Collector, Passes On

Original Looper 1
01-26-2008, 01:11 PM
I found out a few days ago that Ted Miller has passed on. For those of you that weren't familiar with Ted, he was an avid racing enthusiast. He himself raced in the 1950's and somewhat in the 1960's. This includes a period where Ted raced cars with Quincy engines.

Ted was an excellent mechanic and had what I consider to be, one of the most spectacular and rare antique outboard collections around. Ted's collection included a full spectrum (A - B - C - D & F) Loopers and Quincy Z engines.

The picture here is from an antique outboard meet at Lake Shipp, FL in 2003. I am standing behind one of Ted's restored Quincy Loopers. Ted had a full collection of restored Quincy Loopers at that meet.

My father, O. F. Christner, and Ted were very good friends. Watching the 2 of them talk at Cypress Gardens, FL in 2000 at an antique outboard meet was quite a site to see. Ted Miller was one of the few people that had the degree of enthusiasm for outboards and racing outboards that my father possessed.

The Christner family wishes to extend our condolences to Ted's wife, Jane, and his children.

thanks,

Paul A Christner

fbref5269
01-26-2008, 07:31 PM
paul,

i never met ted in person but spoke to him many times. i bought my a looper from him last year. he was always there to answer any questions i had. i was talking to him last week about parts. i would call and his wife jane would answer the phone and say, 'frank he's out in the shop i'll get him'. he loved his engines. i had a friend pick up the a looper from ted he saw some of his engines. when he dropped it off to me he told me ted had a LOT of nice looking engines.

my condolences go out to jane and the family.

rest in peace ted.

frank novotny

dancrabt
01-27-2008, 09:27 PM
Every word so true Paul. I was fortunate to meet Ted several times when he would make his trips to Quincy Welding from Florida. His knowledge of engines and mechanics was overwhelming and when he and your dad would get together and start talking it was time to leave the room.

He had a heart to match his size and treated me fine every time we met. He was a great man and will be missed.

My condolences to his wife Jane and there family.

Dan Crabtree