PDA

View Full Version : Nothing......

Original Looper 1
02-01-2008, 07:11 PM
Here's a brain teaser for you outboard racing history buffs and Quincy Welding fans.

Where was this picture taken? When was it taken? Do you know what the "Nothing" on the Quincy Welding trailer was all about? Can you name some of the people in the picture?

Mr Gene East, please hold your comments for now as I know you have the answers.

thanks,

Paul A Christner

(Please note: this picture is for your enjoyment and not to be copied or posted to any other website without my written permission.)

Master Oil Racing Team
02-01-2008, 07:34 PM
I don't have a clue about the when and where Paul, but I am going to make a stab at the Nothing. Your Dad and mine were from a generation that grew up during an impoverished time, went through World War II and came out with a grand feeling that nothing was impossible if you put your heart into it. My Dad was always coming up with some kind of slogan for his Master Oil, and he would paint it on the boat racing trailer. When I saw the big NOTHING I immediately thought of "Nothing Runs Like A Quincy".

Skoontz
02-02-2008, 07:48 AM
Time frame, based off the 1963 ford pick up, and the 1964 Olds wagon, I would place 1965 on the date

fbref5269
02-02-2008, 08:29 AM
well it was low tide.

happy groundhog day. only 73 day until april 15th and only 5 more months of nba basketball

frank

Mark75H
02-02-2008, 02:10 PM
I'm going to guess after 1965 because the photo appears to be from a Polaroid/Land Swinger camera which came out sometime during 1965 and wasn't real popular until a couple years later ... I think 1967

Jay and Christine Root
02-02-2008, 10:49 PM
I have picture of the same trailer rig from the Moses Lake, WA Nationals 1963. I was told it was painted that way because, as a team, Quincy Welding didn't win anything the year before. If I remember right, they did much better in '63.
Jay

Original Looper 1
02-03-2008, 11:20 AM
Wayne, you were very close as to the slogan that should have been on the trailer. Skoontz was close on guessing the year.

The photo was taken in August of 1963 at the National Outboard Racing Championships at Moses Lake near Spokane, Washington. I can verify that because I have an article from the Spokesman-Review dated 8/22/63 with a photo of my father and I standing in front of our racing trailer. The article states that my father's team held the national titles in D Runabout and D Hydro, having won at Bradenton, FL the previous year (1962).

As to the "Nothing" on the trailer.... My father, O. F. Christner, had just gotten the Quincy Welding trailer refinished literally the day before we left, and did not have time to get the lettering completed before leaving for the races at Spokane, as the sun was setting in Quincy and the team had to get on the road that night. The painter had to quit after painting just the word "Nothing."

The trailer was supposed to have "Nothing Runs Like a Quincy Merc" on the sides.

As I said above, I attended that race, and I am in the picture if you look closely. Many people at the races thought the "Nothing" was intentional. The logo was finally finished after our return from Washington.

I might also mention that we had to leave Quincy early because my father stopped in Arizona on our way west to meet with Charlie Strang, who had recently left Kiekhaefer Mercury for OMC.

As to Quincy Welding not winning any races in 62 --- well, memories aren't always what they should be. In 1962 at the North-South races, Jerry Waldman, exclusively running Quincy Welding race engines, took home the big trophy for most points. Jerry won D Hydro, F Hydro and the new X Hydro. Jim Schoch, of the Quincy Welding race team, took home a 1st in B Hydro that day. Freddie Goehl, also of the Quincy team, took home 1st in F Runabout. Jerry Simison, running Quincy engines, took home 1st place in A Runabout and B Runabout. I might mention that Jim Schoch took 2nd and Freddie Goehl 3rd in A Runabout for a full Quincy Welding engine sweep in A Runabout. I am posting a copy of the cover of the NOA Rooster Tail reporting about that event.

Also in 1962, at the Pro Championships at Midland, Michigan, the Quincy Welding race team took home 1st in A Hydro and O. F. Christner took a 2nd in A Runabout (yes, he did some racing back in the early 60's). As stated above, my father's team took the national titles in D Runabout and D Hydro, having won at Bradenton, FL.

These race results came directly from the NOA Rooster Tail publications from 62 that I have, thanks to good boat racing friends that are now retired.

Thanks Everyone for your Guesses,

Paul A Christner

Dr. Thunder
02-03-2008, 06:42 PM
... Many people at the races thought the "Nothing" was intentional. The logo was finally finished after their return from Washington.

Paul A Christner

I was one of those in attendance and always thought (until tonight) that it was intentional ... like when you would pass someone on the highway that didn't know about hydroplanes ... "What's that stuff ...it's nothing". Anyway, 44 years later that same race site was host to the 2008 Stock Outboard Nationals this past summer.

Growing up here in Region 10 and seeing that big Quincy trailer for the first time left an indelible mark. I thought it was just about the coolest thing that a young teenager could hope to see.

Master Oil Racing Team
02-04-2008, 08:51 AM
I felt the same way when I first saw some of those trailers with all those boats Dr. Thunder. If I didn't have so many unfinished projects going I would start a thread called "The Big Trailers." They were really cool loaded down with all those boats, and they came from all parts of the country. The Quincy trailer of course was one of the most famous of all.

Just think....after all these years the true history of the "Nothing" coming out. Just goes to show you how the psychology of a big team can get others' mind working with something so simple as an unfinished paint job when the answer is so simple.:cool:

Gene East
02-04-2008, 08:09 PM
Just remember, back then there was no going to the grafics shop and having decals made for boat numbers and trailer signs. It was all done in paint by hand.
I can't remember the little old man's name who did all the numbering and lettering for Quincy Welding, but he was an artist. Everything was free-hand, no stencils, cutouts or the like.
He just laid everything out with chalk and started painting.
It was very interesting to watch him work his magic.

Ron Hill
02-05-2008, 12:27 AM
Until today, I had always heard that NOTHING meant, "Nothing".....Because the era of big trailers had begun and guys like Waldman and Herring had stuff all over their trailer....
I just thought this was more of O.F. Christner's DRY SENSE of humor...for 40 years I've gotten a laugh out of it...now, I know the TRUTH!!!! Bummer, I'll quit laughing...

In 1967, I painted Harry Bartolomei's trailer up with FLOWER POWER on IT....Thought that was quite COOL...Also had LAGNAF on it...Thought that was cool too...I also flew the CALIFORNIA BEAR FLAG over ourt trailer...a first at DePue...Harry didn't like my paint job when he say it......

Original Looper 1
02-07-2008, 09:40 PM
Thought I'd share another race trailer from the past with all of you.

thanks,

Paul A Christner

(Please note: The picture is for your enjoyment and is not to be copied or posted on any other web sites without my written permission.)