PDA

View Full Version : Don Christy

fbref5269
02-16-2008, 08:59 AM
hi all,

i was taking an old konig lower unit off a tower the other day and noticed the gear ratio engraved on the unit along with the name don christy. i knew don raced stacks in region 4 but did he race outboards too? just wondering if that's the same don christy and if he's still around? anyone know?

frank novotny

Gstillwill
02-16-2008, 02:35 PM
Don is still around I talked to him a couple years ago at Sharptown. He raced alot of classes of outboards AU,BU.CU.DU,ASH,BSH,CSH and DSH and all at the same time period. Pink decked boats with red numbers and letter. Here is a picture on Donny 2US and my Dad his regular number if I remember right a 4-E and his boats were named Little Devil

Mark75H
02-16-2008, 08:26 PM
As far as I know Don is still living in Baltimore, you can try looking him up in the phone book.

Ted March
02-16-2008, 09:05 PM
Got to know Don from the Stock Outboards coming to two Jersey courses every summer in the early to mid '60's. Sea Isle City on the Beaufiul Jersy Shore, a shortlnarrow course in tidal water with one pin turns at each end. And where the deep sea fishing boats came in every Sunday an 4:00 PM (Set your watch if it was a race Sunday). And Laurel Lake in Millville, another great course that ran 4th of July and Labor Day.

And met three great dads. Don dad Don (memory), John Schbert's dad, John and Craig Dewald's dad George. Knew one thing. If I ever ran out of cold ones, I could always find one lurking. And George, I knew Pappy too, but not as well as some ot the others.

fbref5269
02-17-2008, 01:04 PM
hi all,

just got off the phone with don. we talked like he had known me for years. he did run a and b konigs. he did win a few races in his time, 1100. he said he doesn't have a computer but wanted to hear back as to what's going on with some of the masters of the sport. noticed i didn't say old timers.

frank

Mark75H
02-17-2008, 02:36 PM
I think Don is in the exclusive club with Fred Jacoby and Bill Seebold for career wins. Don and Fred are definitely #1 and #2 for total points scored in a single year

Ted March
02-17-2008, 04:46 PM
Just about every time I ever saw Don at a race, he had a 2E or 2US on at least one of his boats.

John Schubert T*A*R*T
02-18-2008, 03:10 PM
Got to know Don from the Stock Outboards coming to two Jersey courses every summer in the early to mid '60's. Sea Isle City on the Beaufiul Jersy Shore, a shortlnarrow course in tidal water with one pin turns at each end. And where the deep sea fishing boats came in every Sunday an 4:00 PM (Set your watch if it was a race Sunday). And Laurel Lake in Millville, another great course that ran 4th of July and Labor Day.

And met three great dads. Don dad Don (memory), John Schbert's dad, John and Craig Dewald's dad George. Knew one thing. If I ever ran out of cold ones, I could always find one lurking. And George, I knew Pappy too, but not as well as some ot the others.

Earl. Yeah, Earl & my father would even sit side by side when Don & I raced together. (perhaps they would have had kicked back a few by then) At a race at St. Michaels, MD I won both C & DSH with Don 2nd or 3rd. THis was early when he first started running the 4 cylinders. Later at a race in Delaware at Feby's pond, Don & I raced at least 8 diffrenet starts in 2 days in DSH, several re-starts. Earl confided in my dad that day that they had brought out their best motor & prop. The one & only start that I had the inside & to the first turn first, in the 4th turn starting the final lap in front, the top catb idle screw dropped out & did effect acceleration as it burbled & Don went flying by. Later that yar he won the nationals in Beaver Falls, PA. I think that I was 4th.

ralphy32@verizon.net
02-19-2008, 04:27 PM
Ted & John I thought Don Christy was the best boat racer I ever knew to me anyone who could jump out of A stock A hydro or runabout then jump in a B konig hydro and win both to was the best and i seen this