PDA

View Full Version : Pictures of Bill Fales

N-77 Two
03-07-2005, 05:59 PM
I would like to see if anyone has any pictures of Bill Fales (my father) racing in the Nationals or anywhere. If you do please put a few on the web and then you can contact me after. I would like some people to see one of the BEST drivers to race a boat anywhere. THANK YOU!!

Ron Hill
03-07-2005, 09:11 PM
I posted somewhere here, your dad's F Runabout at DePue...(The year they added fuel from the Purex bottle and still won)...Your dad had some "HUMMING" F Runabouts...

My post was from a magazine, not an original...

I think, maybe the post was 1968 Powerboat..

N-77 Two
03-08-2005, 07:41 AM
Your picture brought back many years of racing back to me. My dad had one of, if not, the fastest six-cylinder Quincy Looper ever made. That was his pride and joy. To this day, that motor sits in the shop at my moms house in pieces. In fact we purchased all new parts to rebuild that motor before he past away. We also have the "hand" made six Yamaha yz125 cylinder motor that Kay made. We only ran that motor twice, and that motor was so fast that it scared many of drivers to just look at it test. My father loved the 1100 class and all the people he competed with, from Bill Seebold to Rich Fuchelin, they were all class acts. My brother and I were blessed to be able to compete with and against a truly gifted boat racer in Bill Fales, my father.

Master Oil Racing Team
03-08-2005, 08:03 AM
Your father was indeed a gifted racer. I am sorry to here he passed away. He was a nice guy. I remember watching that six cylinder run. It was a real scorcher. I dug up a couple of photos from the 1975 Nationals at Winona, Minnesota.

N-77 Two
03-08-2005, 08:54 AM
Thanks for the memories. I was at the race, and we had a tough time keeping units under the Looper. Oh well it was a nice place to race. If you have anymore, could you post them also. Thanks

Peter Crowley
03-08-2005, 09:59 AM
Those are some great photos of Bill! I remember him racing his FRR here in New England in the late 60s or early 70s.
Bill was a wonderful guy and he helped me a lot when I made the transition from running Stock Outboards to racing in the PRO category. I didn't know anything about PRO engines. He was someone that I could go to and ask a question. I knew that I would always get a well thought out answer.... and if he didn't know- he would say so! I was lucky that he was at most of my "local races", because he was coming up to race the EMR class with his two sons. Their help was always much appreciated! Just before I went down to Moorehaven to break my record, I sayed a night at Bills home and picked up some fuel. He was kind enough to give me some sound advice on setting records.... and it all worked. I have missed him as the years have gone past- he was a great help to me and many people in this sport.

Jeff Lytle
03-08-2005, 05:39 PM
Hi Steven, and welcome to BRF!! I only knew it was a matter of time before a member of the Happy Valley Racing Team would find us.

I remember your Dad and the monster F's he used to run. At one race here in Canada during the mid. 70's he and Dick were there with the big trailer and a whack o' boats too.
We had scheduled F runabout and really did not know what to expect. The $$ was there, but your Dad and Dick were the only 2 to show. In fact, Chuck Howgate (Wazzamatta' You!) was the only other American driver to come up, and he was running 500.
To avoid a comlete wash, we all stepped up in our 500's to make the show. It was the 1st time we had tried to squeeze 2 bodies in a C DeSilva, but made it work. Of course, Bill won, with Dick right behind, Chuck in 3rd, and Willy Kersjes and I in 4th in a Crescent powered C.
Your Dad was pitted right next to us, and I remember he had an engine on his boat I have never seen before, and have never seen again. It was, what appeared to be a six cylinder inline Crescent. Fuzzy memory here.....but I do remember the black tower, and the orange engine.
I do not believe it was a Merc deflector painted black and orange, but have never heard anyone else talking about this monster. There were no pipes, all the noisy stuff went through the tower. Dick had a deflector, and nearly blew our eardrums out when he left the pits, but the big orange beast was no where as shrieky as the Merc. I do not think it was an alky 75H either.

Do you remember this engine?? WAS it your Dad, Dick, or someone else on Long Island who had it?

BTW........Sounds like that Looper needs a good home. (Nudge Nudge!) Next time you are at your Mom's, try to get the serial # off the engine block and visit the boys at the SWAMP PIT, as they are trying to find out where all the Loop 6's are now. They have access to Quincy's Master production book and can tell you who the engine was originally sold to, and when.

Dr. Thunder
03-09-2005, 10:07 AM
Any other photos out there of the '75 nationals ... would be interested in looking at the A and B outboards ...

Master Oil Racing Team
03-09-2005, 03:21 PM
One more before I go.

Ralph--What happened?