PDA

View Full Version : Help out a newbie who Unsure??

Hottrucks
02-22-2008, 02:27 PM
for years I have been playing with the idea of a cheap to run fast fun Lake toy....the one off kind in my area...........
this has brought me to looking at SS 45 up to the 120 boats it seems like they can be bought reasonable??? I looked at some I/O stuff but think I want to stay true to my routes.....I now own a 1100SS ( I 6) motor and a 2 liter 150 , a 800 (I 4) and a 2.4 200 (spare for the Skater) but would scrap the thought of using any if I needed something smaller (safer)

I guess the questions I have are:

what is a good set up for a lake boat and what can I expect for speeds.

I would like a lower I can shift since I'll be using it to dock a things like that

I don't want high maintance?

what Kind of chop will they take

Sorry for all the questions but I don't need something in the yard I cann't use and the thought of driving one in my area is nothing short of a joke

I already have a 24 Skater with twins but it's alot of BS work to drag to the lake for those after work rides and since it's a very clean boat I have to baby it around everything to keep it looking that way ( I rarely even pull it up on the beach)

so I'm looking for something with a lid on it that I can run safely ( I understand the risk of the lid or capsule) also would like to pull it up to the beach and not worry......the reason I want a capsule boat may sound Dumb but I start my boating season way before most, like as soon as the ice leaves the lake, and run until it starts to form again, I've also been known to be out boating when it rains......ouch if you goto fast.... so I figure I can always remove it on the hot days ( or am I nuts to think it could be this easy)

Oh did I mention the Oh my god thats Kool factor!!!!!!!
or that It will be cheap to run compared too???

Thanx for the help
Jeff

dock
02-22-2008, 05:11 PM
Capsule boat stuff I have learned so far:
1) Boats should not be run with capsule off. Lack of areodynamics make them more subject to blow over.
2) Capsule boats should not be out there running alone at speed.
3) Medical air and a capsule suit do make it safer.
4) Most capsule boats are very easy to tow. My SST45 could be towed with a Rabbit!
5) Very cheap to run; 5 - 10 gal of gas mixture per race weekend.
6) Easy to keep clean and maintain.
7) Best speed and handelling for the buck.
8) Even the older boats can be competative as the boats seem to run with in a few seconds of each other.
9) They are a bit noisy inside, but not outside.
10) Speeds for a SST45 can be in the mid 70's, and that is fast enough in a 12' boat!!! lol
I'll be calling,
Doc
ps Because of low compression you can run regular gas....

Hottrucks
02-22-2008, 05:39 PM
Thanx Doc,
I figured you'd find me I guess there's no sneaking up on you....I'm hoping to find something so we can run around a bit...Just looking for more info on what to expect......I understand the AT SPEED part I think the only time I would hang it out is if I knew there where other capable people around incase

as far as air I have all you can compress and I already own the life line if I can get in with it on...if not a used suit will be part of the package before hitting the water.......maybe I should refraze that?????

Again this is just for pleasure use so competitive isn't an issue..that being said if I got the chance to hang out with some others I would really stretch the throttle cable.............

what would make a good power plant for one of these??? If I could start looking now I could probably get a deal since most every thing is under Snow.......and since there is a lack of these boats in this area I could find stuff easier and cheaper

Jeff

Mark75H
02-22-2008, 05:52 PM
Jeff, the regular Lifeline jackets are a major safety no no in a capsule boat. If the boat is upside down ... you can't get out because the jacket holds you up ... ditto for the recovery team ... they can't get you out either A capsule jacket is a real necessity.

Dock, Jeff has ruled out the 45ss, he requires a gear shift ... I guess that bumps him up to SST 60.

Erick
02-22-2008, 09:36 PM
I highly discourage the use of a capsule boat, unless you are going to race it.

How about a vintage race boat?? You could have a cool boat and pick your power. Maybe something like a Sport E. Very similar to sst-60. Still need proper safety gear!

Tim Chance
02-23-2008, 09:27 AM
My thoughts are that racing boats, even obsolete racing boats, are not toys. If a person wants to go fast it is best to do it with a high performance pleasure boat. Or, get a racing boat and only run it at sanctioned events.

Hottrucks
02-23-2008, 09:43 AM
I understand the conserns about capsule boats...If I can get some seat time and there are local events to me ( or maybe hook up with another guy going) I would go race'n ...but for right now I need some seat time in a boat i can use....I would think that anyone who just shows up and thinks thay can win with out seat time and practice would be foolish as it stands now I'm looking to test and tune before I head out.....and it looks like a SST 60 boat will fill the need....I just need to learn more befroe a purchase ...like anything else
thanx
Jeff

Hottrucks
02-23-2008, 11:14 AM
another ???? is what region am I in??? I cann't seem to find that info
also where are the races???

cyka
02-23-2008, 11:18 AM
where are you from??

Mark75H
02-23-2008, 11:20 AM
I think New Hampster is in region 1

Mark75H
02-23-2008, 11:22 AM
also where are the races???

http://www.apba-racing.com/apps/race_schedule/

cyka
02-23-2008, 11:29 AM
yes if you live there then it is region 1 but I didnt see them racing opc but region 2 does ( Toronto and Ny area) but it is still close. someone might correct me on that but I didnt find it.

Hottrucks
02-24-2008, 07:31 AM
thanx sorry about the profile thing I should know better....from what I se NY is the closest Lake Geaorge might be fun and Very close......

another dumb ???
what about sponsors?? what or how much of the tab do they pick up just a guess guys

Mark75H
02-24-2008, 07:49 AM
Most often the "sponsor" is the driver's day job (business or father's business). Outside sponsors don't usually come along until you have won a national championship.

Hottrucks
02-24-2008, 08:25 AM
Is ther one place better than the other to learn more about the SST 60 boats???

Mark75H
02-24-2008, 08:36 AM
Usually a race where the class runs is the best place to learn about a class

mxp864
02-24-2008, 09:46 AM
Champboat may be having 60's at Hartford this year. I've been through what you have been thinking. Living in Pennsylvania there is not much in the way of capsule boats for newbies. I decided to get a 60 boat almost strictly because of geography and APR's relative proximity to my location, (most races within an 8 hour drive). Well that and I have a little man crush on the 56c.i. OMC. I have no idea what gets raced at LAke George.

Lake boat, you shoulda kept that sweet Talon you sold, it went too cheap anyway. My only previous driving experience was also Talon 18's, I've had two of them. Get a 60 boat, slap a moda on it and come check out some races with that big orange strip on the back of the cowl. Trust me, I've procastinated buying a boat for 2+ years and I've let some good deals get away. I'm not sure there is an "inexpensive" way about it.

I'm going to try it out and try to HAVE FUN first, after that I'll let the chips fall where they may. In a worst case scenario, I won't like it and I'll end up selling for close to what I have invested. I can't see the value of a decent SST60 going down anytime real soon.

If you ever want to chat, 814-599-0544