PDA

View Full Version : Model Merc 55H with Quincy pipes

Alterscale
02-22-2008, 03:13 PM
One of your members, Paul Christner, asked us to post a notification on this site of the model outboards we are making. The model is a 1956 Mercury Mark 55H with Quincy pipes. If you want more information on these models you can go to our website: www.alterscale.com. A photo is attached. These models come in a decorated box with a letter of authenticity signed by Gene East, a co-designer of the Quincy pipes along with Paul's dad.

Terry Topjun
Alterscale Models

F-12
02-22-2008, 04:47 PM
That is a beautiful piece of craftmanship. It looks like I need to find a good DSH Marchetti and could go for a ride with this one. What does something like this cost? Not discounting the work you have put into this, knowing that Gene East authenticated it would be well worth whatever you are charging.

Mark75H
02-22-2008, 05:48 PM
Terry would you mind some constructive criticism of the 55H models?

They are in deed lovely and a great addition to your product line :)

You did not mention that the box is a highly accurate replica of the original Merc shipping container ... not just something to be set aside when the motor is out of it

Alterscale
02-22-2008, 08:22 PM
The models are $189.97 plus $9.00 for shipping inside the US.

Thanks,

Terry

mac19f
02-23-2008, 07:12 AM
Is this model all diecast metal? The lower half almost looks like plastic.

Alterscale
02-23-2008, 07:55 AM
Yes, the upper cowl and lower unit are die-cast metal. The powerhead, faceplate and propeller are plastic. The pull-cord works. Hope this helps.

Terry

Original Looper 1
02-25-2008, 09:36 PM
I am very fortunate to have already received my Mark 55H Alterscale model motor with Quincy pipes. The picture does not do the motor justice! Also worth mentioning is that the motor comes with a nice looking black display stand that holds batteries and has a switch so that you can run the motor while it's on the stand. The prop actually spins. The detail of the work is superb. For those of us out there that may not ever get to own the real thing, this is a nice substitute to put on your desk or in your display case.

While I'm talking about Alterscale, I want to personally thank Paula and Terry Topjun. It takes a lot of money, time and effort to see one of these alterscale models from concept to completion. We're lucky that they take the time to do this. If you haven't checked out his web site yet, you should.

Thanks,

Paul A Christner.

PS: For those that have been asking, the new Quincy Welding site is almost ready to launch.

RogerH
02-26-2008, 06:59 PM
I've been able to watch Terry's progress with this model since we met at the 2006 Clayton NY show, where we learned we were both from TN. At that time I was working on C202, my "C" deflector motor, and happened to have pictures with me at the show. The Quincy 55H is beautiful and I'm thrilled to learn that Gene and Paul have contributed to the tribute this model truly is.
The person I bought the deflector from was running it with bottom and top covers as Terry's model has. I learned from Terry that the design requires a top cover to "hold everything together". It wasn't long before Terry was over to take a look at C202 and do some measuring. What he created is beautiful, and can't wait to get one.
Nice job Terry!!!

The picture shows C202 in the early stage of restoration. I've got a couple sets of covers for it, but now am running it with just a cut-out base cover and no top. I'm getting the top cover powder coated red to match the model. If Terry doesn't mind, I'll bring it to Mt. Dora to display at his booth.

Gene East
02-27-2008, 07:27 PM
Like Paul, I have my motor as well.
It's beautiful and I am saving the box!
Someday it may be very valuable, but I won't be selling mine!
Thanks Terry for holding off on introducing this little jewel until Norma and I got home to sign the certificates.

RogerH
03-22-2008, 06:10 PM
Terry,
I'm going to bring this to Mt.Dora with a stand. You are welcome to display it with your Model 55H Quincy Stacked display. I'll set it up and cart it away. I don't have the decals yet, but they ought to make it look pretty close to your model.
This is not a 55H but a "C" Quincy Deflector (C202). I put the alky converted Carters back on it and had the LU and covers powder coated. Note changes from avitar.