PDA

View Full Version : New QuincyLooperRacing.US Web Site is up

Original Looper 1
03-04-2008, 01:53 PM
Hi Everyone,

After many months of hard work, we are finally launching the new, official O. F. Christner/family, Quincy Welding/Looper web site that at

http://quincylooperracing.us

You can also reach the site by going to http://quincywelding.com

As we were going through the process of setting up the web site, we came to realize that this site should be more than just about Quincy Welding. Our father loved outboard racing, especially engine development, and dedicated his life to the sport we all love.

Therefore, we have made the new QuincyLooperRacing.US site into more of a history of kneel down outboard racing. We have a section dedicated to racing drivers that we call Racing Legends. We have a history of Konig vs Quincy section. (A Yamato/McKean section is coming.) There's a huge section called Memorabilia that has many old photos, old race programs, Rooster Tails, Hydroplane Quarterly & Propeller magazine articles. Johnny Dortch's page includes many of the racing pictures from his personal photo album, covering the 1940's until his racing retirement in the 1980's. We have a section dedicated to antique outboard engine collections that has some of the most outstanding restored racing engines that I've personally ever seen.

We expect that there will be many other pictures and contributions added as people have promised and committed to include their history on this site. Thanks to Johnny Dortch, we have hundreds of Rooster Tails, old race programs and other racing memorabilia we will be adding in the months ahead. We also look forward to receiving contributions from those of you in the racing community that would like to donate your pictures and information to the site.

At this time we would like to give a special thanks to several people for their contributions in information, pictures, web site assistance, etc:
Johnny Dortch, Jeff Lytle, Wayne Baldwin, Tim Chance, Tom Schmidt, Mark Suter, Artie Neadeck, Dan Crabtree, R C Hawie, Bob Dunlap, Dick Ollhoff, Mike Schmidt, Ed Thirlby, Jim McKean, Sam Cullis, Bill Seebold, Roger Dykehouse, Roger Hinsdale, Gene East, Terry Topjun and Ron Hill.

Sorry, but temporarily we will not have a comment/bulletin board at this new site, as the person building the bulletin board currently has health issues. Please feel free, until the Quincy forum is ready, to leave your comments regarding the new QuincyLooperRacing.US site on the forums at
http://www.Boatracingfacts.com under the Quincy Welding, Loopers and More section
or
The Boat Racer's Pit Stop at http://b4.boards2go.com/boards/board.cgi?user=swampcridders

We will still keep our present section here at BRF under Quincy Welding, Loopers & More. Ron Hill has a great site and we want to stay a part of it.

Special note to people using dial up Internet connections: Due to the large number of pictures on some of the pages, you may have to wait a couple of minutes for certain pages to load. Please be patient, we think you will find the pictures are worth the wait.

Please come to the new Quincy site and spend some time. Enjoy!

Thanks,

Paul A and Diane Christner
David Christner
John Christner

Mark75H
03-04-2008, 02:26 PM
Looks great Paul. Everyone involved should be proud.

fbref5269
03-04-2008, 05:17 PM
paul,

great job!!!!!! i took a quick tour thru the new site and will spend a lot more time reading all you have posted. there was a lot of hard work that went into the project and it shows. all involved should be proud. thank you for including my project there, i feel honored. by the way you look good in the looper t-shirt.

frank

Gene East
03-04-2008, 05:49 PM
Congratulations and thanks for allowing me to have a sneak peek.
This is what we all need to see. Boat racing history without any BS.
Wishing you much success as this site grows

Jeff Lytle
03-04-2008, 06:25 PM
by the way you look good in the looper t-shirt.

frank

Needs a hair cut though!!

I agree, got a spare hour or two?? That's about what it'll take you to go through all the stuff on there!

Nice work Paul and Diane.

Tim Chance
03-05-2008, 01:01 PM
Thank You, Paul, for letting me contribute. Excellent Job!

John (Taylor) Gabrowski
03-05-2008, 01:45 PM
Now your on the right track and doing it right.......

Your father would be proud. :)

John Schubert T*A*R*T
03-07-2008, 07:27 AM
Hi Everyone,

After many months of hard work, we are finally launching the new, official O. F. Christner/family, Quincy Welding/Looper web site that at

As we were going through the process of setting up the web site, we came to realize that this site should be more than just about Quincy Welding. Our father loved outboard racing, especially engine development, and dedicated his life to the sport we all love.

Therefore, we have made the new QuincyLooperRacing.US site into more of a history of kneel down outboard racing. We have a section dedicated to racing drivers that we call Racing Legends. We have a history of Konig vs Quincy section. (A Yamato/McKean section is coming.) There's a huge section called Memorabilia that has many old photos, old race programs, Rooster Tails, Hydroplane Quarterly & Propeller magazine articles. Johnny Dortch's page includes many of the racing pictures from his personal photo album, covering the 1940's until his racing retirement in the 1980's. We have a section dedicated to antique outboard engine collections that has some of the most outstanding restored racing engines that I've personally ever seen.

We expect that there will be many other pictures and contributions added as people have promised and committed to include their history on this site. Thanks to Johnny Dortch, we have hundreds of Rooster Tails, old race programs and other racing memorabilia we will be adding in the months ahead. We also look forward to receiving contributions from those of you in the racing community that would like to donate your pictures and information to the site.

At this time we would like to give a special thanks to several people for their contributions in information, pictures, web site assistance, etc:
Johnny Dortch, Jeff Lytle, Wayne Baldwin, Tim Chance, Tom Schmidt, Mark Suter, Artie Neadeck, Dan Crabtree, R C Hawie, Bob Dunlap, Dick Ollhoff, Mike Schmidt, Ed Thirlby, Jim McKean, Sam Cullis, Bill Seebold, Roger Dykehouse, Roger Hinsdale, Gene East, Terry Topjun and Ron Hill.

Sorry, but temporarily we will not have a comment/bulletin board at this new site, as the person building the bulletin board currently has health issues. Please feel free, until the Quincy forum is ready, to leave your comments regarding the new QuincyLooperRacing.US site on the forums at
http://www.Boatracingfacts.com under the Quincy Welding, Loopers and More section
or
The Boat Racer's Pit Stop at http://b4.boards2go.com/boards/board.cgi?user=swampcridders

We will still keep our present section here at BRF under Quincy Welding, Loopers & More. Ron Hill has a great site and we want to stay a part of it.

Special note to people using dial up Internet connections: Due to the large number of pictures on some of the pages, you may have to wait a couple of minutes for certain pages to load. Please be patient, we think you will find the pictures are worth the wait.

Thanks,

David Christner
John Christner

Paul e-mail your address to me at jschubert@wi.rr.com. I have a CD with my racing bio, some racing pictures including the 1st Sid Hydro & pictures of my motor collection that can be added to your site. It's a magnificant site.

John

Allen J. Lang
03-08-2008, 08:06 AM
Paul- Great site so far and with all the old timers contributing info and pictures, you may be adding for many years. Good luck.
Ye Olde Desert Geezer :cool:

Master Oil Racing Team
03-08-2008, 09:43 AM
I agree with all the others Paul. It is obvious that you and Diane have put a lot of thought and effort into this site. I will keep a regular check to see what new has been added and reread some of the history and check out the memorobilia.

Skoontz
03-09-2008, 10:15 AM
Awesome job, Paul.

It a great thing to see where the three looper owners who tested on the Fox in front of our boathouse had their engines made. You dad was a genius, and your family history is amazing. BTW, I've perfected an Elk and 0Veal cholesterol free brat for you, seasoned with garlic and pepper.... We call it the looper brat!

It's the looper of sausage, and healthy.

fbref5269
03-10-2008, 06:41 PM
hi all,

i recently bought a 2 cyl distributor off ebay that said it was a quincy that was used on their engines. when i got it i couldn't figure out how to install it. in looking at the pictures on pauls new web site i figured it out! it came off a quincy z engine. now i need to find a z to put it on or make an adaptor and use it on a looper. anyone have a picture they could post of the looper adaptor that was used. i know it will be different, but in think i can make something that will work.

frank

Original Looper 1
03-11-2008, 11:44 AM
Thanks to everyone that left such positive comments regarding the new site. To say that there has been interest and inquiries is an understatement. We are trying to get back to everyone as quickly as we can.

I want to personally thank those that contributed to the building of the web site for their contributions in pictures, history, etc. A special thanks to Jeff Lytle for making a spectacular header for the new Quincy web site. A special thanks also to Mark Suter for taking all of the individual pictures of his fabulous racing engine collection and writing up such thorough commentary for each engine. We know it took a lot of dedication and talent to research the history of every engine.

We are already receiving new pictures and people to add to the racing legends section. Sam Cullis just emailed us the original Quincy Looper patents to post. As soon as we can get back to the scanner, we have more Quincy Welding race photos never posted before and lots of Rooster Tails for you.

We welcome contributions and encourage everyone to send more as this site is for all of us racing buffs, not just Quincy Welding fans. Anzani, Champion, Konig and Yamato fans are encouraged to add your contributions too. Whatever you ran, if it was kneel down boat racing, we'd like your old racing photos too! You can email your contributions to QuincyWelding@aol.com

My family and I finally have a web site as we envisioned and are happy many of you like what we have done so far.

If you've already seen the new Quincy Welding site, http://QuincyLooperRacing.US,
keep checking back as we will be adding and expanding to it. If you haven't looked at it yet, you might want to take a trip down memory lane and see all of the old pictures we've accumulated. If you're into antique outboards, we've got a collections section you should check out too.

Thanks again to everyone. This definitely is a team effort.

Paul A Christner
and the Christner family

Original Looper 1
03-13-2008, 07:41 PM
Hello Everyone,

We thought we'd mention that we just added a big bunch of new, never before posted, "old" photos from the Christner family racing outboard photo album to the new QuincyLooperRacing.US web site.

Check out the photo of the biggest Quincy Looper engine ever built, the legendary Quincy Looper Beast. It was over 90 ci of screaming, methanol burning, fire breathing monster.

There are many other new pictures scattered about the site.

Please enjoy!

Paul A Christner & family

Mark75H
03-13-2008, 08:20 PM
Paul, thanks for spending so much time and effort on this project. The picture of The Beast is awesome!

Skoontz
03-17-2008, 05:10 PM
Lucky your dad didn't twist the transom off that Thompson Paul! I think every self respecting homeowner needs a Quincy Beast just to start up at 6:00 AM Sunday mornings in their garage just to let the neighbors know who is boss!

Seanp3
03-23-2008, 03:51 PM
Paul

I've got a question for you...........what would you guess was the percentage of business that was done at the shop that was racing related. I'm sure you had other welding stuff that was done there. I'm just curious as to how much was devoted to racing. thanks

Original Looper 1
03-23-2008, 09:18 PM
Sean,

That's a good question but there's no simple answer. Basically, in the late 1940's when my father started out after the war, he started a welding shop, which was the main business. Racing was more of a hobby at that time.

Obviously, during the 1950's, my dad's hobby turned into a significant racing business. From what I have been told and with my research for the web site, I would say it was probably a 50-50 split then.

By the 1960's, with the introduction of the Quincy Looper, it was probably 60% racing during the racing season and 40% other work. It the winter, the ratios reversed.

In the early 1970's, the economy went south and the dollar exchange made the Konigs reasonably priced. That, along with their performance, put a good sized dent in Quincy Welding's racing business.

In the mid 70's, when my dad left Mercury and he and I engineered a new Quincy raceing engine, the Z, the Yamatos with their low price and great performance, put another dent in our operation. We were paying prevailing wages out of a non-union shop and furnished full medical insurance for the employees. We had high electric rates due to deregulation and health insurance costs were also going through the roof. My dad wasn't even taking a regular salary during that time period. Quincy Welding couldn't compete with the Japanese and German engines, price for price. They could sell a complete engine for less than our shop cost of making a powerhead. Therefore, Quincy Welding went back to our roots and did more specialized maching and welding during those years. I also did a lot of prop work for the pleasure boaters. I could comment more but would rather not. A good friend of mine has a saying on how to end up making a little money in racing -- start out with a lot.

We stayed in business through the 70's and early 80's because of our my father's (and my) love of outboard racing engines and racing development work, not for the money.

I am glad you like the new web site. Keep checking back as we have a lot of other pictures and racing memorabilia we will be adding as we have time.

thanks,

Paul A Christner

Mike Bretsch
04-26-2008, 02:03 PM
Hi Everyone,

or

Thanks,

David Christner
John Christner

Paul;
I finely got on your new web sit that you spoke to me about. It's just GREAT, you can be very proud of it. I will be back on it many time's to read and see the great picture's. I'm trying to see if any picture's were ever taken at Champion of the test engine that Alan has. I told him that I would love to see it again when it gets to Daytona, as we take the car over there sometime's. But I think most of the people that were there at that time have past on. I know you are a busy guy doing all this stuff but maybe we all could get together for a burger sometime, call me some nite on my cell.

Again it's a GREAT site

Mike

Aeroliner
05-24-2008, 04:52 PM
I am restoring an A looper, FA88 and have most of the parts to build a B looper. I need a B block and pistons if someone would like to sell them. I could also trade a new set of A pistons if that is desirable to make the deal. Here are the photos of the parts I have. Also have a Carter model N and fuel pump for it thats not shown. Attached is a photo of the parts. My Email is apvw1@aol.com.

Thanks,
Alan

John (Taylor) Gabrowski
05-24-2008, 07:06 PM
That is an interesting crankshaft, a Mark 25 with a steel reedblock where the rollers run direct between the inner surface of the reedblock and right on the center of the crankshaft. I always wondered why they didn't go that steel reedblock route itself instead of bronze and then aluminum? I have a 4 banger Merc crankshaft that uses the same system so its supported in 2 extra spots not found on regular Merc 4s. How much extra bearing drag comes with the extra support is a good question. The Alky Deflector Quincy Merc padded block engine was run considerably. Other old racers claimed it sealed and isolated crankcase sides better than standard labrinth groved reedblocks or the smooth face oil hole pressurized versions. I wonder how many Quincy Flatheads ever used this sort of bearing system?

Original Looper 1
05-25-2008, 07:02 PM
Hi Everyone,

We've been very busy this weekend, adding more photos to the QuincyLooperRacing.us web site.

You might want to check out the following for new pictures:

Under Collections - Bob Dunlap, Frank Novotny & Dick Ollhoff all have additional photos. Bob sent us 10 pictures of what's in his basement. Wow! Is Bob ever blessed. Dick discovered another Looper - the Walgrave 6 cylinder, FX41. This engine won 5 hydro championships & 1 runabout championship. A Quincy Looper XF51 owned by David Acker has been newly discovered. It appears to be in mint condition. You've been reading about Frank's new acquisitions here - see what else he found recently. We've added a collections page for Artie Neadeck.

Also under collections, we finished adding the remainder of the Mt. Dora photos from this year's event.

There are also new pictures of a Nydahl C Looper with chambers and a Latta Z 350 engine on their pages under Race Legends.

Have fun checking them all out. We are also working on resizing and will be posting photos from the Muscatine, Iowa, boat show that were sent to us by David and Allen Van Weele. Stay tuned!

thanks,

Paul A Christner

Original Looper 1
05-25-2008, 07:27 PM
Forgot to mention - there's also a couple of new photos on the Innovations and Christner Photo Album pages.

thanks again,

Paul

Original Looper 1
06-15-2008, 09:15 PM
Hi Everyone,

We've been busy over at the Quincy site, adding a lot more photos for you to view.

Under Collections, we've added: Artie Neadeck & Dick Acker collections. There's additions to the Mark Suter, Bob Dunlap, Roger Hinsdale, Frank Novotny, Dick Ollhoff and the VanWeele brother collections.

Under Racing Legends, we've added Giuseppe Rossi with never before seen photos of the factory in Italy and Rossi water testing an experimental engine, courtesy of Mike Schmidt. Also under Racing Legends, we've added John Schuberts racing biography to his page plus more photos to the McKeans page.

The VanWeele's sent us a CD with lots of pictures from the Muscatine, Iowa, That Was Then This is Now boat show which we will be adding this week. We are also planning to scan and post more of the old Roostertales from the 1950's and 1960's so check back often.

Enjoy! www.QuincyLooperRacing.US

Paul A Christner

PS: Congratulations to Frank Novotny for taking a 1st and a 3rd place for your restored Loopers at this past weekend's antique outboard meet at St. Michael's. Good work Frank! You're setting a high standard for others to follow.

Original Looper 1
07-27-2008, 12:07 PM
For those of you that have been asking, here's an update on what's new at the www.QuincyLooperRacing.us web site.

The legendary Gene East, one of Quincy Welding's most valuable employees, has sent us his autobiography & it is now posted under Legends. Also added to Legends recently are Artie Neadeck, Bob Murphy, Bobby Wilson & Louis Williams. We've also added more old photos to the Baldwin, Kirts & Kugler pages.

Under collections, we have more photos from the Van Weeles, Bob Dunlap & Roger Hinsdale plus added a new page for Todd Booth's rare Speedy-Bee. If you missed our earlier post, we also have lots of pictures from the Muscatine, Iowa, boat show that were sent to us by the Van Weeles.

Under the memorabilia section (page 9) we've added the Spring 1972 edition of Tim Chance's Hydroplane Quarterly.

Under race events, there's the 2008 Offshore Grand Prix from Sarasota, FL and lots of pictures of the big offshore superboats. Included in the group is the Bud Light boat driven by Bill Seebold's son, Mike.

Last but not least, under the Konig vs Quincy section, we just added photos of a very rare 1967 Konig B, originally owned by Floyd Hopkins of Hopkins propeller fame, that may have been one of the very 1st 4 cylinder B Konigs to have been imported into the US from Germany. We're thinking this is the Konig B that cost my father, Chris, many sleepless nights as it was reported to be 5 mph faster than the 2 cylinder Konigs it replaced.

We've got lots more items to scan and post, so keep checking back.

thanks,

Paul A Christner