PDA

View Full Version : Random shots from the pits

Pages : [1] 2

Master Oil Racing Team
03-14-2005, 09:12 AM
A few random shots from the pits. See if we can bring any of these guys out of the woodwork.

Master Oil Racing Team
03-24-2005, 01:59 PM
Here are some from Hot Springs 1974

Master Oil Racing Team
03-28-2005, 08:07 AM
Here's a few from Winona, Minn. 1975

Master Oil Racing Team
03-28-2005, 10:41 PM
I was hoping some old racers or pit crew would chime in, but here goes.

Left to right.
1st group

#1 ?, Johnny Dortch (MO), (? Doc Severensen?), Bobby Wilson (TX)

#2 ? spectator from DePue, Joe Rome (TX)

#3 Barry Anderson (IL I think) Next photo on right is Alan Ishii (CA) but I forgot the name of his transporter.

2nd group

#1 Ralph Donald(GA), Marshall Grant(TN), Baldy Baldwin (back)(TX), Walt Blankenstein (FL), Phil Howard (can't see good)(IL), Bruce Nicholson (LA)

#2 Jerry Pennington, Marshall Grant

#3 Ray Yates, Sr. (TX), Jerry Perrytington (TX)

#4 Charlie Bailey (TX), Wayne Walgrave (MN)

#5 Denny Henderson (TX)

3rd Group

#1 Walt Blankenstein (FL), Stan Leavendusky's dad (sorry Stan I have had a brain malfunction on your dad's first name).(KS)

#2 Stan Leavendusky (KS) (I put the state where you were from when I took the picture)

#3 Terry (I have the last name somewhere) (MN), Bob Smith (MN), pit man ?

#4 Bill Kurps (IL), Tim Butts (MI)

#5 Tom Harden (W VA)-Mal's dad

Some day I'll figure out how to separate the photos for captions or else imprint on the photos. Hope it's not to hard to figure out who's who.

Master Oil Racing Team
03-30-2005, 09:26 AM
These are all from Lakeland, Fla 1993. I don't have any contact sheets & it is hard to identify some people from a negative. So some of them I didn't recognize until I scanned, some I don't know. Maybe you guys could help out.

Master Oil Racing Team
03-31-2005, 08:12 AM
Some pit shots from Lakeland, Fla 1974

Master Oil Racing Team
04-01-2005, 02:57 PM
Pro Nationals, Hinton, West Virginia 1977

First a story about our trip to the Nationals.

Some German friends traveled with us to West Virgina. We were in the mountains not too far from our destination when we stopped for gas. Harry, our friend from Berlin, needed a rest stop and walked straight into the women's rest room. He came out embarrassed and with a very confused look on his face. He looked around, then walked over the the men's room, slowly opened the door and peaked in. Then he went inside. I never said anything to him, and I don't know if he ever figured out what was up. The men's restroom had a sign HIS'N, and the women's HER'N. In Germany the men's room is HERREN.

fred tyson
04-01-2005, 06:28 PM
Take alook at the gentlemen in the bottom left corner with the straw style cowboy hat on, do I spy Pop Augustine in a younger life?

oldalkydriver
04-01-2005, 06:32 PM
South side of Chicago...what a shop! 1961, John Toprahanian and I went to Nationals in De Pue. My first time there. I was so happy to be going to Nationals as a young lad of 17 or so. Especially without my parents. WOW! The adventure only had one draw back, I didn't get to race in 'A' Hydro. John and I left for De Pue bright and early Tuesday morning. I started driving, as Toprahanian driving scared the Hell out of me. He had a habit of repainting the right side of his car. His favorite color was 'Guard Rail White!' So as a young roster, I kept on driving. John would constantly say every four or five hours, "Do you want me to drive?" Of course I would respond with a firm, "No!, I'm fine." He said that I would end up paying for it. And as usual, he was right! I was so tired when we arrived on Friday noon, when it came time for bed Friday night, I didn't wake-up til Saturday evening around 6:00PM. I missed my elimination heats Saturday afternoon.

Back to the reason of this post. Joe Michelini had one heck of a shop. I was really impressed. There were so many KR's, SR's, PR's and 460's. Everything from reed valves to tuned exhaust. Wild looking units, boats and props. This man had everything. Talk about funny, this man was funny as all get out. We spent a lot of time on Friday in the shop.

On the way home, I also meant a man in TexArkana. Another great shop with a dock right on the lake. Comes home from work, eats, wraps a rope around the flywheel and away we go. By the time its dark, you can be in your garage correcting any problems. Testing 99% of the time! What a way to live!

Mark75H
04-01-2005, 07:24 PM
Take alook at the gentlemen in the bottom left corner with the straw style cowboy hat on, do I spy Pop Augustine in a younger life?

At the far left with his hand to his ear ... yes, I am certain that is Pop Augustine

Master Oil Racing Team
04-01-2005, 09:22 PM
Pop Augustine--what a guy.

Got to thinking...hard to see faces of most of them since I was using a 24mm lens. And because I am still learning how to size photos, so i am going to do a little practice .

Jeff Lytle
04-01-2005, 09:52 PM
Looks like Pop to me !!

Lights
04-01-2005, 09:59 PM
Here is some pics of the nats in St louis I think.Year? Mid 70's. Its hard to see but. There is a Kurps hydro in the backround in two of the pictures. Does anyone know who owned the hydro with the black snake on it?

Lights

Master Oil Racing Team
04-05-2005, 07:59 AM
These were misfiled. I think they are Palacious, Tx 1976

WharfRat
04-05-2005, 08:55 AM
the woman standing up holding the turquoise poster board is #999 Flo Hathaway, hard to say if that's her husband Tommy next to her :)

Wayne, who is that in the last picture ?

Master Oil Racing Team
04-05-2005, 11:47 AM
Does Pete Buzco ring a bell?

Master Oil Racing Team
04-05-2005, 02:12 PM
Slide says 76. I have the other OPC stuff from the Palacious Firecracker 200's in another binder. Maybe I have some shots of who he hung around with. Switch the c and z around. I found a Pete Buczo from Houston in the 76 APBA rulebook. I think that's him.

Mike Schmidt
04-06-2005, 05:30 PM
Next to the last Hinton photo: Ray Nydal in the white shirt and pants. With his sun glasses.

Last Hinton photo: In the foreground, John Dortch in the overalls. Behind him Jack Gossman. Over on the far side, facing toward the camera, with the beard, HP Shakeshaft III.

Who else ?

Michael D-1

Composite Specialties
04-06-2005, 05:44 PM
Looks like Gary Augustine in the very front of the Hinton drivers meeting with the pony tail hair, with his back to the camera.

Marc Johnson

Mike Schmidt
04-06-2005, 06:06 PM
I saw that to, but don't know. I don't remember Gary be wearing a shirt like that at the races. ???? He is not far from Pop, so maybe. Gary, Ian, Dave Jr you out there?

Michael D-1

Dan M
04-06-2005, 06:16 PM
Last Hinton Photo, guy on the right hand side with the baseball cap and pipe is Clyde Queen, Morton Grove, Illinois.
Dan :o

Ron Hill
04-06-2005, 06:54 PM
The lady is the top of picture #27 with the microphone is Molly "Bee" Ballou.

(Twin Engine Outboard Drag Racer, APBA Council Woman, Chief Score, and all around great lady. I have an interview planned.....).

But YOU GUYS keep posting so many things to look at I don't have TIME!!!!

Master Oil Racing Team
04-06-2005, 09:01 PM
Ron, you made my day.

When I was going through some stuff a few days ago, I saw Molly's photo in the binder with OPC & inboard flat bottoms at Palacious. Then Jeff's post pops up and I go back to it. I remembered reading about her in Powerboat, but I was thinking drags like Jeff mentioned. I knew it was Molly though, so I put it out there waiting for someone to confirm it. Thanks.

Master Oil Racing Team
04-06-2005, 09:12 PM
Almost forgot what I came here for. Ron surprised me and I forgot to put these up from Yelm, Washington 1976

Ron Hill
04-06-2005, 09:26 PM
Mike Jones, Mike Jones, bottom picture, Mike Jones and Ron Anderson...

Top picture is???

ADD: Molly "BEE" Ballou...After my "JIMBO" guessing game, I wanted MissBK to identify Molly first....finally, I remembered that was here for sure...

Master Oil Racing Team
04-07-2005, 11:00 AM
Bruce Nicholson and Charlie Bailey. And that picture wasn't from Yelm. I was looking for one more last night at 11:30 when I got a call a rig between Victoria and Houston would be ready by the time I got there. So I just sent the only other one ready to go & took off. Just got back 11:30 this morning.

Ron Hill
04-07-2005, 11:36 AM
Those guys, I knew I should knoiw them, but faces and names were'nt clicking...Yelm, Selm...Wish I'd gone in '76.... Had a ball there in '77.

Except, that John Meyer broke the CU record, I didn't and I'm still mad!!!! (LOL, John and JW Meyer).

I guessing the JSH driver is Chip Jones....

Master Oil Racing Team
04-07-2005, 01:12 PM
Sorry to throw you off like that Ron. We always enjoyed Yelm. We there in 1980? also. It was when Mt St Helens blew out. My dad drove up & I flew in. He told about some incredible sights.

In one of the little towns out there someone broke into his suburban during the night and stole his suitcase and a 12 ga. shotgun. Since he was a big man, he was more concerned about the clothes. Out in some nearby woods, he spotted something white. He went over and found a shirt, then a little farther some more clothes. The thief was digging through the suitcase as he went, discarding clothes along the way. He eventually recovered all or most of it at the end including his shotgun.

The two regrets I have about Yelm are, you could not test to get the setup right before the races, and I always forgot the clock turned solid black. Both times I burned the first heat circling around looking for the hand and when I realized what was going on I would be way out of position.

Master Oil Racing Team
04-07-2005, 03:02 PM
These are from Alexandria, La. 1977

John Schubert T*A*R*T
04-08-2005, 05:58 AM
These are from Alexandria, La. 1977
Let's see, top picture center, Hal Tolford, middle picture left, Lee Sutter next to Sutter is Billy Kurps, and third picture Cindy Hosler Townsend.

Master Oil Racing Team
04-11-2005, 08:18 PM
Here's a few from the Eastern Divisionals Springfield, Ill. 1977

Jeff Lytle
04-11-2005, 08:39 PM
Pic #2, Greg Hall from Toronto Canada in blue coveralls. And a batch of Willowdale Onions !! (They'll know what I mean) In the center in this shot and with Greg at the driver meeting shot below is a good friend of mine Paul Guerin. He drove for me when I pooched my back in the early 80's.
Good driver too.

Doug Hall Y51
04-14-2005, 01:24 PM
Wayne, thank you so much for all the great pictures. I have been looking for pictures of my dad and found one at a drivers meeting. I believe it was picture 44. It is funny to see him when he was my age now. Please keep posting these pictures. Hopefully there will be more of my dad. I can still remember in San Antonio we went and stayed the night at your dad's house. The gumbo was awesome, catching lizards at the house was a blast and the boat inside the house was something a 8 or 9 yr old thought was so cool.

Master Oil Racing Team
04-14-2005, 02:14 PM
I'm glad you got to taste some of my Dad's famous gumbo. My dad loved entertaining friends--especially hunting and boat racing buddies. There have been racers from all over the US to Canada, Germany and Australia to sample his cooking. I remember a kid catching Gecko's off the wall and glass door under the lights. I guess that was you.

I have lots more of your dad to post. I kind of go with the wind. When somebody I know pops up, I look for a picture. So I put you other guys on notice, if you think I may have a picture of you, sign in. If I missed you signing in,...post something.

jrome
04-15-2005, 07:34 PM
Hey Wayne, remember when your dad was cooking after a boat race in your front yard, and he was cooking on the gridle in the house. He was cooking steaks. He had a gallon container of habernero juice sitting beside the stove and would dip the spatula in it before he would turn the steaks. Some of the boys from up north were trying very hard to scape the black pepper off the steaks, but what they didn't realize was that it wasn't the black pepper that was lighting them up. Baldy laughed with that deep belly laugh of his and oh, how he liked to have fun!!!! ;)

Master Oil Racing Team
04-18-2005, 02:22 PM
Here are a few photos from UIM World OB,OC,OE Dayton< Ohio 1978

denny henderson
04-19-2005, 08:55 AM
First Photo- Steve Jones, far left
Second photo- Top center, standing together, both wearing white Tee shirts, Al Davis left, Craig Lawrence right.
Right center, not much hair, Billy Davis.
Bottom right, Bruce Nicholson.
Top right, dark sun glasses, Me, I think.

John Schubert T*A*R*T
04-19-2005, 11:32 AM
Here are a few photos from UIM World OB,OC,OE Dayton< Ohio 1978
On the podium, picture 2 in the number 1 spot Jeff Hutchins, not sure what class, to his right Jerry Kirts. In the last picture, podium awards, probably OE in the lower right Fred Miller.

Jeff Akers
04-19-2005, 11:48 AM
The top pictures is Jack Leek of OMC...Renato 's boat? Maybe, 165 was Bob Holloway's number...

CC Was to mean 200 HP. The Triple C (V-6) CCC 300 HP...

Ron , In the pic with Jack Leek, Isn't that a three cyl under the hood ?
Dosn't look big enough or wide enough to be a V6 ? ? ?

John Schubert T*A*R*T
04-19-2005, 11:59 AM
Ron , In the pic with Jack Leek, Isn't that a three cyl under the hood ?
Dosn't look big enough or wide enough to be a V6 ? ? ?
Jeff, although I'm not Ron, and he certainly can speak for himself, that is a 49cube OE/Mod 50 engine. Not sure what configuration they ran as the OE engines pulled more HP on the dyno then the Mod 50's, or at least some configurations did. :confused:

John Schubert T*A*R*T
04-19-2005, 12:23 PM
In the second podium photo, isn't the guy with red pants (1st place) Bob Hering?

And the guy on the far left in same photo looks like a racer named "Jean Pierre" from Canada. (Can't remember his last name) but he hung out with the Seebolds at Havasu around that same time period.

The boat with Jack Leek is Renato's "SAFFA LIGHTERS" boat.
Gosh Val, don't know how I miised that, it's Bobby alright.

mintominto
04-19-2005, 01:17 PM
On the podium, picture 2 in the number 1 spot Jeff Hutchins, not sure what class, to his right Jerry Kirts. In the last picture, podium awards, probably OE in the lower right Fred Miller.
On the 2nd podium picture the guy in the red hat & jacket is JOHN HILL a future double world OE champion. That's also him sitting on the yellow Burgess in the following picture.

Master Oil Racing Team
04-20-2005, 07:45 AM
Some from the Hot Springs Invitational 1972.

Master Oil Racing Team
04-26-2005, 08:33 AM
Here are a few more from DePue 1972

Master Oil Racing Team
04-28-2005, 08:28 AM
Here are some from PRO Nationals 1975. Winona, Minn.

Master Oil Racing Team
05-04-2005, 06:54 AM
Here are a few shots from the PRO Nationals, San Antonio--1978

John Schubert T*A*R*T
05-04-2005, 07:04 AM
Here are a few shots from the PRO Nationals, San Antonio--1978
Let's see how I can do. Picture # 1--Baldy roping maybe Jane Smith's 250. Clockwise, Hardin, Ralph Smith, Henry Shakeshaft III. Picture #2 Overseas DEaler ______ Smith, importer of Konig motors & parts from Dallas, GA & Jane Smith. Her boat # P-102 in background, absent was their always around Boxer dog. Picture #5 Baldy & Stan Levendusky. Forgot picture 3 or 4 just to the right of the "C" Service motor in Cowboy hat, Henry Wagner.

Miss BK
05-04-2005, 08:12 AM
John Schubert wrote:..picture 3 or 4 just to the right of the "C" Service motor in Cowboy hat, Henry Wagner.

The guy talking to Henry Wagner sure looks like Gary Garbrecht. Did Gary attend PRO races back in the late 70's?? He would have been the director of Mercury Racing at that time.

http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3496

John Schubert T*A*R*T
05-04-2005, 08:16 AM
The guy talking to Henry Wagner sure looks like Gary Garbrecht. Did Gary attend PRO races back in the late 70's?? He would have been the director of Mercury Racing at that time.

http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3496&stc=1
Val, I thought the same thing. But never did see him at the pro races when I drove Pro, but he was very entrenched with tunnels running Mercs Hi-Performance Racing. Could be him though.

bill boyes
05-04-2005, 08:49 AM
Kinda looks like Billy Seebold talking with Henry.

Master Oil Racing Team
05-04-2005, 11:30 AM
I can see the resemblance to both Gary Garbrecht and Billy Seebold, but it is neither. Maybe this view with a little more profile will help.

John Schubert T*A*R*T
05-04-2005, 11:37 AM
I can see the resemblance to both Gary Garbrecht and Billy Seebold, but it is neither. Maybe this view with a little more profile will help.
It is clearly not Gary as his shirt tails are out & dirty & certainly a driver. I know that Billy was big in to tunnels at that time so not even sure that he was racing Pro then. If so, it had to be for Marshall, though not even sure if Marshall had any "C" service stuff. The mystery continues.

Master Oil Racing Team
05-04-2005, 11:42 AM
At first I thought it was Elvis! HMMMMMM.......(as Ron Hill would say), Marshall did have C service stuff.... and they BOTH hung around Memphis. ;)

Master Oil Racing Team
05-04-2005, 01:06 PM
You got it Mark! John Schubert couldn't recall whether Marshall Grant had any C-Service, but I remembered the time Joe Rome asked Billy Seebold what was the hardest boat he ever drove. He replied it was Marshall's C Service. Don't remember if it was hydro, runabout or both.

Master Oil Racing Team
05-13-2005, 12:21 PM
Here's a few from Alexandria, 1973

Jeff Lytle
05-13-2005, 12:48 PM
Pic #2........his side zip on the Gentex is zipping from top to bottom.
Whazzup with that?

smittythewelder
05-14-2005, 01:23 PM
Dandy pix, as always, but don't you have names? I haven't seen those guys since about that time, but I see Lee Sutter, and I think Don Anderson, and would the first one be Alan Ishii? Oh lordy, do they look YOUNG!!!!

Ron Hill
05-14-2005, 06:51 PM
Alan Ishi is the top picture, Lee Sutter is next...others look like I know them, but can't put a handle on them.

George Ishi, Alan's father was a chicken Sexer...a guarded Japanese secret. he could tell the sex on a 5 minute old chicken, but had to give that job up because of his eyes..

Later, George was a machinist, and a great supporter of boat racing!!!

Dr. Thunder
05-14-2005, 10:52 PM
Dandy pix, as always, but don't you have names? I haven't seen those guys since about that time, but I see Lee Sutter, and I think Don Anderson, and would the first one be Alan Ishii? Oh lordy, do they look YOUNG!!!!

Understand what Sutter was doing in Alexandria at that time ... but can't remember what Don Anderson would have been racing ... perhaps ARR or BRR. Brother Ron would have been driving AOH and BOH?

Donald
05-15-2005, 06:14 AM
Pic #4 is Dub Parker. And Lee Sutter still doesn't have any grey hair.

Master Oil Racing Team
05-15-2005, 03:45 PM
Joe...I put the picture with the pit men in it because they stand in the water all day with the hot sun beaming down, just to help their driver do the best he or she can, and that's all they ask. They spend a lot of their own time and money to be at the races and without them how could we get anything done.

But you're right about that race. It was one of my most memorable. I was faster than Dub, but he had the inside. He came out of the turn first and I caught him at the end of the straightaway. He used his spray to keep me wide and he had better acceleration. I kept catching up to him at each turn and I noticed he kept going wider and wider so I continued to stay wide to the outside. Then on the last turn we were way off the bouys. Right after we set up for the turn and Dub continued the manuevers to keep me on his hip, I chopped the throttle, dove through the spray, got as far to the transom as I could get and went full power to the exit bouy. I looked back at Dub and he was waaay outside looking over his right shoulder to find me. When he looked back to his left he saw me and headed for the finish line. He was accelerating faster than me, but my speed was coming up too, AND I was already far ahead since I took the shortest line. At the finish I was a few feet ahead. When we got to the scales, he came straight up to me with a big grin and gave me a long, strong handshake. He couldn't stop talking about how great a race that was, and I felt very proud to have someone the caliber of Dub Parker be so complimentary to my driving.

smittythewelder
05-15-2005, 04:43 PM
A chicken-sexer!!! Bob Gilliam, who started out racing outboards in Payette, ID, and then built himself an Unlimited hydroplane in the Fort Lewis hobby shop (with colonels in assistance; a great story!), told me his dad had made a pile of money counting sheep. Evidently, when the sheep come in (for selling? Sheering?) they run through the chute so fast and in such numbers that very few men can be trained to count them accurately, and Bob's dad was called to do this job all over the West. Bob Gilliam was quite a charactor and was good company, and I'm sorry he's gone.

Master Oil Racing Team
05-23-2005, 02:19 PM
A few pits shots from the first attempt in 73 that was blown out.

Master Oil Racing Team
06-03-2005, 09:18 AM
One of Dieter Konig and Jack Chance at Fort Worth. The rest are Sprinfield,Ill --1977

John Schubert T*A*R*T
06-03-2005, 10:50 AM
The forth picture down sure does look like Pete Hellsten kneeling down with a clip board in his hands. Can someone verify that.
Yup, that's him as well as picture 3 roping his 2 cyclinder Merc 350 "C" Service.

F-12
06-03-2005, 10:51 AM
Great pic of Papa Seebold. He was a person who could make you feel at ease with just his grin.

Jeff Lytle
06-03-2005, 11:01 AM
Wayne:

The pic of Pete roping is one of the best I've seen from your collection. The focus area is right on the flywheel with everything else a slight blur, the intensity on the faces, and the muscle strain of the pitmen----EXCELLENT WORK !!

By the way.....See the pit man on the opposite side backing away? Those Mercs emitted a nastyloud noise, and barked flames as well, ask Duke!! Plus, Pete used to run a high nitro mix through his Mercs........A little hard on the eyes!! :eek:

F-12
06-03-2005, 11:01 AM
I hope this shows up. I have never tried to post an image here before. This is the last ride I had in my D Aerowing at Lakeland 1977. Won it by half a lap. Thanks to Uncle Walt, Pop Smith, and, of course, Tim Butts.

Master Oil Racing Team
06-03-2005, 11:12 AM
Bet that was a good ride. How did you set the fin for the high speed turning?

Charles, you just reminded me of something else. There is a famed wedding photographer who does seminars and writes articles on photography from Lakeland. I used to see his name all the time in Rangefinder, a magazine for photographers. I recently found some 4 X 5's he shot of me at Lakeland in 73. I don't get that magazine anymore and I couldn't find him on the internet. Is he still around? I bet he has some good shots of a lot of racers. If anybody has any leads, I would be interested. I think he may have done some stuff at Cypress Gardens too.

F-12
06-03-2005, 12:41 PM
Wayne.............You used a turn fin at Lakeland?........Just kidding. I think from what I remember, we set it at it's highest adjustment and since it was the long course, you just kept the wheel set at about 15 degrees and pretty much hung on for the ride. Here's the finish line photo that was taken by a local TV station. This was one year the entire race (both days) was covered by a local TV station. Walt said before that I was a show off, and I proved it.

John Schubert T*A*R*T
06-03-2005, 12:56 PM
Wayne.............You used a turn fin at Lakeland?........Just kidding. I think from what I remember, we set it at it's highest adjustment and since it was the long course, you just kept the wheel set at about 15 degrees and pretty much hung on for the ride. Here's the finish line photo that was taken by a local TV station. This was one year the entire race (both days) was covered by a local TV station. Walt said before that I was a show off, and I proved it.
Actually Charley, when I set the "C" & "D" records driving O'Dea's equipment in 1969, that's just what I did, had the wheel cranked slightly & shifted my weight forward & back again to adjust for buoy locatiions. While setting the "C" record I was actually ducking under the pylons. What was also interesting was that in the 1st heat I finished 3rd behind Dub Parker, senior moment, can't recall his name, the mayor of Carbon Cliff, IL. Anyway, Walt says to Dick, give me that prop. He took it to the trailer hitch on Dick's car and gave it back for the second heat. Wow, did it ever take off, plua I had a better start.

F-12
06-03-2005, 01:03 PM
I guess the pictures I have are too big and I'm too computer stupid to get them to upload. The ones I have are great, though, including the Quincy 44 flathead that made my aerowing feel 'really small'. I'll try to get them shrunk down to where they will fit. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

F-12
06-03-2005, 01:11 PM
Walt did have a way with the ball peen and trailer hitch. I remember out at lake Matty (sp) testing with Dick, Jeff Hutchins, John Yale, and Dieter, Walt was tweeking on my D and after drilling jets, height up and down, more pressure, less pressure, and finally banging on the prop, he said "Make 1 lap and come in, you're ready". What a big difference from when we started.

F-12
06-03-2005, 01:25 PM
Did it show up this time?

Master Oil Racing Team
06-03-2005, 05:26 PM
Charles---The shadow on your boat is deceiving, but the spray indicates not much contact so I was wondering how you had it set. At Lakeland you only need a light touch, kind of like a guitarist with his little finger on the box just for a little control. Glad you tried posting the photo, it worked. Now you are going to fine tune your skills. Would like to see any photos you may have of Walt's shop. And what about that spider?

F-12
06-03-2005, 07:01 PM
From what I remember the turn fin was probably only 3 or so inches under the sponson. Walt thought that since we would be flying it most of the way around and didn't need to do any drastic turning I could get away with it shallow. Turned out he was right. Loved that hydro!
The spider story I thought sure you had heard from Walt. If you remember toward the back right side of the shop was a bathroom. And in that bathroom Walt had a magazine that had been there for probably 10 years or so that nobody ever read. One day while I was in there, I saw a spider crawl out of the center of the magazine and crawl back in. Not a real big one but had lots of potential. During the course of about 9 or 10 months I put hamburger and whatever else I thought this animal would eat around where I saw him crawl out of and every day whatever I put down would disappear. As you can imagine, it was getting good size with all the protein he was putting away. One day a boat racer and his wife showed up to see Walt. I was working on the lathe on the far wall and had a pretty good view of the bathroom door. This guy's wife went in, sat down, and decided she wanted to read for a minute. The next thing I heard was a blood-curdling scream, the door to the bathroom flies open and she comes out at a dead run with her shorts around her ankles and continues out into the parking lot. We never did see the spider after that. We think she scared it away.

Master Oil Racing Team
06-24-2005, 02:56 PM
LaCrosse Wisconson--The city with the most bars and cheese on a single city street.

Master Oil Racing Team
07-09-2005, 09:55 AM
Winners got an Olympia Beer stein. Very nice. And they paid off with bi-centennial silver dollars in an Olympia serving tray. Very unique. Bob and Marilyn Smith and other organizers did an excellent job in putting on the Winona events.

jrome
07-11-2005, 06:53 PM
I was just looking through some of my pictures from Dupue and Winnona. I thought that I would put a few up of some old friends from the pits. Dickie Scopinich is the first pic, the next is the G86 crew, third pic is Jimmy Gohery, forth is Rex Hall, and the last one is Ron Anderson and Phil Wagner.

Master Oil Racing Team
07-29-2005, 07:28 AM
It was our first trip to Winona. The last time we had gone to Minnesota was for the NOA Nationals in 1968. On that trip interstate 35 was not complete. It stopped abruptly either in Northern Iowa or Southern Minnesota. There was a blockade where it stopped. Just beyond that one of those multiwheeled towed vechicles full of dirt that was used for compacting the roadbed. We exited at that point on one of the most dangerous stretches of highway in the U.S. I think it was about 21 miles long with maybe 21 narrow bridges, and a very narrow road. Lot of deaths on that stretch.

Six years later we are on the way to Winona, and there at the very same place was the same blockade. Beyond that was that same compactor unit with weeds and small trees growing in the dirt inside of it. I don't remember about the first time, but this time there were signs posted at both entrances of that dangerous stretch telling how many people had died there in the last year. But we always loved to race at Winona.

rbengines
08-17-2005, 07:46 PM
Leigh in Ocoee,Fla.

rbengines
08-17-2005, 07:56 PM
Always had good advice.

rbengines
08-17-2005, 07:59 PM
Don't remember much about this one.

rbengines
08-17-2005, 08:11 PM
Now guess who.

David_L6
08-18-2005, 08:25 AM
Rusty,

I remember that PRO boat with the wing. I don't remember seeing it run though???
(That may have been the year I went to Lake Village Saturday to watch the USTS race and to OK Sunday to race my boats.)

Master Oil Racing Team
08-18-2005, 08:44 AM
I don't know if Jimmy ever got hooked up on a computer yet. We haven't heard from James in a while. If he will get on, he can tell us about it.

About that Frank in Texas....is that Frank Zorkan? And where was the race?

David_L6
08-18-2005, 08:50 AM
I don't know if Jimmy ever got hooked up on a computer yet. We haven't heard from James in a while. If he will get on, he can tell us about it.

About that Frank in Texas....is that Frank Zorkan? And where was the race?

James Aderholt has put in an appearance or two at HydroRacer, so he at least has access to a computer. He's in the Netherlands.

That is Frank Zorkan, but I don't know which race site that is in the picture.

mercguy
08-18-2005, 09:00 AM
Always had good advice.

he still attends almost every race we have out here in Ca still and makes all the National events at 80+ yrs old. He went to the Pro/Mod/Stock Nat's this year so far and is also attending the Marathon Nat's this weekend. Plus, he is still building boats...............he defines the term "diehard" !!!!!! ;)

rbengines
08-18-2005, 09:27 AM
That was at Lake Livingston Trinity,TX. Calvin Richardson's place. Frank came down quiet often.

rbengines
08-18-2005, 09:31 AM
The 80 Hydro driver was Furnal in a borrowed boat.

Master Oil Racing Team
08-18-2005, 02:28 PM
Frank's son Curtis worked out of Angleton near Houston in the 80's. The company he worked for then now owns the manufacturing company we are franchise agents for. Does anyone know if Curtis still races, and is he still in Texas?

Miss BK
08-18-2005, 02:51 PM
Curtis lives about 30 miles south of me, in Warsaw IN. Wanda saw that we had moved to Indiana on our Christmas card, and quickly contacted Curtis. We had dinner with Curt and his family a couple of years ago. He's married and has a couple of kids.

Tragically, Curtis was bow hunting for deer about 10 years ago and had a horrible accident. The deer stand was icy, and he unhooked his safety device to get a better shot at a deer that had walked under his tree stand.

His foot slipped and he fell -- broke his neck. He layed on the snow for hours and hours before rangers found him. He is now paralyzed from the waist down. :( The last time we talked, he was excited about going back to school to work with computers. I gave him a few message board addresses, and invited him to come chat with us. He posted a few times, but that was at least two years ago.

My son got very sick about that time, and I lost touch with Curt. I need to contact him again and see how things are going...

rbengines
08-18-2005, 02:55 PM
Random Pic's

rbengines
08-18-2005, 02:59 PM
Hope I didn't jump from state to state too much

Miss BK
08-18-2005, 03:45 PM
These pictures are of Curtis Zorkan, about 1977 Bakersfield, CA. He was only about 14 years old, and was nearly 6 feet tall, yet he still was a Champion J driver! How he could fold all those legs up in his Z-Craft runabout and hydro is a mystery to me.

In one picture, he is walking the Davidson's dog, a Malamute named "Moonshadow". She was a cool dog.

FurnalFlyer
08-18-2005, 05:18 PM
Now guess who.
That is me (Leigh Furnal) in the boat it is a borrowed boat but not from Hansen, It was before he moved back to wisconsin. That is also Jon Stone to the right holding the boat.

rbengines
08-18-2005, 05:48 PM
Leigh I was looking for the one where you drop your pants and was holding the canopy off one of your tunnel boats. I always laughed at that one and so did Jo Ann.

Doug Hall Y51
08-19-2005, 10:19 AM
That boat was built by Bob Sovie in NY. I dont remember for sure if James or his dad ran the boat. They must have bought it from the Sovies because they had two of them that they ran at the Title Series races. Also Bill Rucker had one of them that he raced but it did not have the wing on it. If I remember correctly the boat was very heavy even for a capsule boat.

Jeff Lytle
08-19-2005, 10:43 AM
That boat used to belong to Wayne Izzo, known as dagiz1942--A member here. He, Ed Deserre, Bob Sovie, and Bob's Son Joe used to call their Team "The Good ol' Boys".

Bob's boats were built tough and beefy, no doubt about it. They were the 1st capsule type PRO hydros I ever saw.

This pic is of Bob:

Master Oil Racing Team
08-26-2005, 07:39 AM
The accompanying article is from Powerboat Magazine-November 1975.

Master Oil Racing Team
09-09-2005, 07:27 AM
Springfield PRO Eastern Divisionals was two months after Debbie and I got married and one month after I got out of the hospital for pnuemonia. Yeah, got back from our honeymoon and went straight into the hospital. We had a wonderful time at Springfield. It was the first time since the Nationals the previous year that we had seen a lot of these guys. Do you know who they are?

Jeff Lytle
09-09-2005, 12:03 PM
That was Walt LaSalle's old Flying Tiger DeSilva right?? Orange boat M-12??

Joe Silvestri 36-S
09-16-2005, 07:25 AM
I finally have had a chance to look at all the pics. Great shots of the old days, when I was to young to remember or even think about racing.

Master Oil Racing Team
09-17-2005, 08:54 PM
Jeff, are you talking about the boat that Karl Williams is handling? I was wondering who the blonde headed guy was working around the flywheel. I can't remember. He kind of resembels Jerry Parrot, but I think Jerry quit racing several years before that.

Lights
09-18-2005, 09:19 AM
Post #142 secound picture down. Does anyone know the guy sitting csoss legged in the center with the note pad in hand? I think I do.But I could Be mistaken. Hint He was from South St. Paul MN. and his Boat # was G-77 he ran A, B and C Hydros.

Thanks for the pictures guy's.

Re. Winona MN, I can remember the races there in 1976. I was only 7 years old. that is a great race site. I would also like to see another race there some day. It's close to home. :D How about it Badger state Outboards?

Lights

John Schubert T*A*R*T
09-19-2005, 05:11 AM
Lights: Looks a lot like Donnie Anderson from Seattle ...
Denny Henderson

Lights
09-19-2005, 06:02 AM
It's my uncle Jim Leyde. That was his secound Pro nat's. His first was in Winona in 76. His outboard days where short. We went to 145 inboards in 1979 or there abouts.

Lights

Doug Hall Y51
09-20-2005, 03:59 PM
The third from last picture is my dad, Rex Hall. Dont know who the other two in the picture are. Who is the little blonde head boy.He has to be around my age.

Master Oil Racing Team
09-21-2005, 02:55 PM
Doug--I am putting together some information for Mike Ward, and the only thing I lack for the UIM World Championships in Phoenix 1976 is Rex's make of hydro. I can make out Hydros and Renton, Wa. on the side, but the logo isn't clear. Can you help me?

Doug Hall Y51
09-22-2005, 03:46 PM
Hey Wayne, I talked to my dad and he said it was a Rhoades. Hope this helps.

Master Oil Racing Team
09-22-2005, 04:08 PM
Coming from Renton, I figured Bob Rhoades had built it.

Cameraboy
09-22-2005, 10:25 PM
Coming from Renton, I figured Bob Rhoades had built it.

I was born and raised in Renton, WA; I'm not familiar with the name. I'll have to look into that. The stuff you learn on this site...

Master Oil Racing Team
09-23-2005, 07:07 AM
When we get back to normal I'll put up some photos of Bob and his boat. He snookered me in the John Ward Race in 1975, when I figured I had it sewed up and my thoughts drifted elsewhere instead of racing.

Master Oil Racing Team
09-29-2005, 09:19 AM
I don't know how many Boats Bob built, but the characteristic I remember most is that they ran flat. They were fast, but didn't float the sponsons like a Butts Aerowing.

The water at the Pro Nationals in DePue 1974 was very shallow. On the backstraight and below the bottom turn the boats actually had mud in the roostertails. It was cold, wet, windy and a lot of elimination heats to run. It was obvious that conditions were very dangerous so Pro Vice-Chairman Homer Kincaid had Bruce Nicolson and my Dad go out and sound the water and see if they could come up with a race course that could minimize the danger. The water ranged from 18" to 34". They finally laid out a course and marked the whole outside perimeter with stakes. That was the only time I raced with outside boundaries also. The back straight had to be moved in toward the center and turns 3 and 4 narrowed. There was a big problem in milling for the start because just a little out from T 3&4 it was very shallow. Eliminations were weather delayed and the program ran way behind. In order to be able to get in all the elimination heats and finals it was decided to run the remaining elimination heats just prior to the class final. The championship would be decided by one heat-five laps.

Bob Rhoades was the last guy testing on Thursday evening before finals started the next day. He was alone and made lap after lap taking a wide approach to the turns and hugging the center bouy before sliding out. He had some good lines and it was a pretty sight to see, but it would't work well after the course was altered.

The John Ward Race was 500cc's or less and I believe Fred Hauenstein was the defending champ. He was there to defend his title. OMC had announced that the winner would get airfare, room and board for a week in Belgium and attend a Championship race with all the top OPC drivers competing.

My Aerowing and motor were running good. I had the inside at the start and was in and out of the turn and halfway down the back straight when the black flags came out. A boat had flipped in the turn. Same thing happened the next heat. I was through the turn and gone when another first turn accident had stopped racing. By now I was feeling pretty confident. Had the starts down and everything was performing well. The third start went good and all boats made it through the first turn. I was again way out front. After I got a comfortable lead, I started running the outside of the course. Boats were not supposed to go outside the markers so by running up against them I only needed to look over my left shoulder to see if anyone was coming up. I had plenty of time to move back to the inside. Since we had five laps and my lead was strong, I backed off the throttle to save the lower unit. Then I started to think about Bud Finkl's daughter whom I became reaquainted with at the Eastern Divisionals the month before.

While I was thinking about what our dinner plans would be, Bob Rhoades was running outside the course boundary markers and sneaking up on my right. My Dad was in the pits hollering and waving, but my mind was elsewhere....Ann, a trip to Belgium, a John Ward title, etc.

I first saw Bob when he blew by me on the right and jerked his boat back on the course in my lane little more than a boat length ahead. I was slammed by the water coming off his prop and I immediately dumped the pipes and throttle to keep from going up on his roostertail as well as keep my motor from gulping all that water. I had to wait a few seconds for the water from his roostertail to fall before I could try to nurse my engine back. This all happened just before the final lap. About 3/4 down the front straight my engine finally coughed out all the excess fuel and water and took off, but Bob was already in the turn. At the finish I was right behind him, but it was one heat-winner take all. I was PO'd and felt like a stupid fool at first, but Bob and I stayed friends. He did what he had to do to win (although I would have never done that), and I learned a valuable lesson. And David you are right (could it be from personal experience?)

Bob set a couple of competition records the next year with this rig at Yelm Washington on the mile and 2/3rd's course. The hydro manufacturer is R & D so Bob must have had a partner. Who is D?

500cc hydro 87.421
700cc hydro 90.817

Dan M
09-29-2005, 02:56 PM
Wayne,
I can only remember 3 Rhoades boats during the 70's. I had the pleasure of helping Bob at DePue a couple of times. I think all were C-D boats. Rex Hall had one, and Bill Van Steenwyk had one. I agree with your comment about the boats running flat. The only time I ever saw one go over was at Dayton for an OC worlds. Bill Van lent his boat to an Austrian??. I think he tried to set it up the way that they do in Europe by flying the front really high. As he went down the back stretch, the boat just kept climbing until it finally took off. No serious dammage, but I had never seen a boat go that high before.

Dan :D :D

Dr. Thunder
09-29-2005, 07:04 PM
The name combination Rhodes & Daniels comes to mind but ... someone else from R10 will know for sure.

Master Oil Racing Team
09-30-2005, 07:24 AM
Thanks Dr. Thunder.

Dan--That is what I remember too. Maybe in the Northwest there were others, but that's all I can recall. Here are those drivers and their R & D hydros. First Bob Rhoades at Depue 1974, 2nd Rex Hall Phoenix 1976, 3rd Bill and Eileen Van Steenwyk Depue 1974

Miss BK
09-30-2005, 08:11 AM
Wayne,
Your telling of the story from the DePue Nationals was outstanding. That's a story anyone would enjoy - boat racer or not. It sure brought a smile to my face.
Thanks for sharing.
Val

Master Oil Racing Team
10-01-2005, 07:43 AM
Thanks Val---I enjoy swapping boat racing stories. I have sat in the pits with many of the members here and had a great time listening to some of the tales they had to tell. I wish they would do some posting. I'll bet Ralph Donald has enough stories for a series of books.

Master Oil Racing Team
10-01-2005, 10:27 AM
Hey Dr. Thunder, how about telling us about these guys?

Doug Hall Y51
10-01-2005, 06:39 PM
Hey Wayne, I read where Dan mentioned that the Rhoades boats always ran flat. The picture of my dad at Firebird doesnt look like it is runnig too flat. Very clean. I would like to get a copy of this picture if this is possible. If it is let me know what it would cost me. You can e-mail me if you want. Thanks for all the great pictures. I am going to have to figure out how to post pictures here. I have a few from races the last 8 or 9 years. Any help would be great.

Mark75H
10-01-2005, 08:03 PM
We have information right here:

How to post pictures on BRF (http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=735)

Rog Dykehouse
10-02-2005, 03:13 AM
First picture:
Red Jacket and white hat -- Johnnie Dortch

Second Picture:
Race driver With the infamous cigar in his mouth-- Ed Thirlby Sr

Great photos Wayne, Rog Dykehouse

Master Oil Racing Team
10-02-2005, 10:35 AM
Thanks Rog. When did you start racing? What Classes. I'll bet you went to the NOA World Championships in Forest Lake, Minn in 1968 before your retired from racing. Any stories?

Jeff Lytle
10-02-2005, 04:20 PM
Race driver With the infamous cigar in his mouth-- Ed Thirlby Sr

Now I know!! I always looked at that pic and wondered why it looked so familliar. I didn't realize it was Ed, for that would have helped me put 2 and 2 together.
I used to pit for a man named Willy Kersjes when I was 13. I traveled with him for a couple of years to races in Canada and the US. When Willy sold out, all his stuff went to Ed.
I kept looking at the tank on the engine, and the water lines on both sides of the tank. I had never seen another engine like it, and looking at the pic always had me scratching my head.

Thanks for clearing that up Rog.

Dr. Thunder
10-02-2005, 06:20 PM
Just guesses ... but, top right FRR of Chuck Walters...

Middle left would be Mike Jones and one of his J kids ...

Middle right ... none other than the "Genius" Jim Hallum ...

Bottom left ... wild stab in the dark but might be the then record setting 125 Konig of Mark Demaray.

Smitty probably could tell us everything about the Hallum/Walin/Anderson/Sutter years ...

Cameraboy
10-03-2005, 06:24 PM
The name combination Rhodes & Daniels comes to mind but ... someone else from R10 will know for sure.

We had time for beach racing at Moses Lake this weekend. Jim Daniels would be the "D". He was Bob's brother in law at the time. I understand that the boats were works of art as far as craftsmanship. I also understand that Bob hasn't raced since the mid-seventies, but is still with the Seattle Fire Department and can be found at the Seafair unlimited races every year. One of the many legends from this area that some of us newbies don't hear enough about.

Rog Dykehouse
10-04-2005, 05:54 AM
Thanks Rog. When did you start racing? What Classes. I'll bet you went to the NOA World Championships in Forest Lake, Minn in 1968 before your retired from racing. Any stories?

Wayne, You asked, So:
I started racing APBA stock in 1959 a with 20H but switched to NOA Am Pro(mods) in 1960 running Hot Rods with the IOA while attending School in Indiana. In 1966 I ran ARR and AOH with a Quincy Looper in the Michigan Out Racing Assoc and finished third in ARR at the 1966 NOA World Championships in Midland,MI. That was a spectacular event with a reported 500 + entries from all the US and Canada. What a SHOW!!!!
During that time I also ran B mod hydro with my Hot Rods in the the IOA/NOA.
In 1967 one of the guys in our racing group got badly hurt and I lost my appetite for racing and sold the Looper. By 1969 I was out of racing.
Now I'm having a blast playing with a 44H Merc on a Bezoats hydro and a modified B Hot Rod on a restored Reeths hydro exactly like I raced. Some of our fondest memories are of Boat Racing in the 1960s. Rog Dykehouse

Master Oil Racing Team
10-04-2005, 06:09 AM
They did build fine boats Cameraboy. Thanks for the info on Jim Daniels, I don't thing I ever knew him.

Doug you are right when you say they ran clean. They could not have won races or set records with the sponsons dragging. When I say they ran flat, I meant low over the surface as opposed to some of the other boats. Here is an example of Dan Kirts in you Dad's R & D Hydro and Dan in his Butts Aerowing.

Master Oil Racing Team
10-04-2005, 06:15 AM
Rog--Do you have a race program or results that you could post of the 1966 NOA World Championships in Midland?

Jeff Lytle
10-04-2005, 07:38 AM
Actually Wayne....The last pic is Danny driving a Schumacher in his pre-laydown days.

sponsonhead
10-04-2005, 09:23 AM
I gave Cameraboy a little coaching on the Rhoades/Daniels connection last weekend between Kite Flyings (another story) and thought I would wander over here to see what the discussion was.

R&D's were built mostly from the late 60's to the early-to-mid seventies. Bob Rhoades and Jim Daniels were brothers-in-law. Bob was (and may still be) a Fireman for the City of Seattle (always used to see him in the pits and the Unlimited races, and we'd get him to be one of the SFD "Paid Goons" we needed to have for racing on Green Lake...always good to have one of those in your corner!). Jim worked for Boeing, I believe on AWACS stuff. They kinda broke up as a team when Jim and Wilma got a divorce, and I think Jim got transferred to Omaha.

Jim was real big in CSH in the late 60's, then when Bob started running COH, Jim bought one of Howard Anderson's big runabouts he started running CRR/DRR, then a couple of times they ran 1100R together. I remember they had lots of Zak Konigs, and a sponsorship with Olympia Brewery. If I am not mistaken, they won the very first "Best Dressed Team" award at the PRO Nationals because they had Oly Beer logos on EVERYTHING from their socks to their underwear....

If I'm not mistaken, the R&D Hydro was basically a knock-off of your basic Marchetti, but with high cockpit sides, and a half-cowl and windshield, like another boat from our area, a Goff-Hagness.

Some of the R&D's and drivers I can remember off the top of my head include:

Tad Daniels, JSH
Kyle Williams, BSH
Earl Garrison, BSH
Randy Short, BSH
Ron Calkins, CSH
Jim Daniels, CSH
Don Haack, CSH and possibly DSH
Bob Gierke, CSH and 250H (same boat)
Bill Sanderson, CSH
Jerry Clayton, CSH
Wilsey Hamilton, DSH
Bob Weiss, DSH
John Myers, DSH
Barry Lewis, 500CCH (bought Bob Rhoades' stuff)
Bob Rhoades, 500ccH
Howard Anderson, 1100H

And probably a few more I can't think of. Steve DeSouza bought a drop-dead gorgeous CSH rig, turn key that was an R&D from Haackie in 1973. The first race of the year was the Sammamish Slough race. Everybody kind of wondered about Steve's decision to make his first race the slough race, but he didn't earn the nickname "Fireball" for being conservative. Long story short, he missed a turn and totally wadded the boat into a Yard Sale on the rocks. It was sad. Later, Bill Sanderson bought the pieces and put it back together.

The absolute COOLEST boat they ever built was an FOH for Howard Anderson: White, with two-tone blue and Howard's big 6 on the back, plus an Entrop-style cowl. I've got some pictures of it around home; I'll see if I can find one or two.

R&D's were very pretty boats, and Bob and Jim did some outstanding woodwork on their stuff....kind of the Bezoats of their day in terms of craftsmanship.

That's what I remember about them anyway.....I'm surprised Hobart hasn't joined in on this one, since he and Bob were always pretty tight.

R-19

Guy
10-04-2005, 08:44 PM
Actually Wayne....The last pic is Danny driving a Schumacher in his pre-laydown days.

Jeff, You sure thats a Schumacher?
I could be wrong, but I was thinking it had more of a "Yale" look. Did Danny ever have/race a Yale before he had/raced Schumachers?

In most of the 70's era of PRO, I seem to recall seeing more Yales & Butts on the water then I did Schumachers.

Which brings a question to mind: What year was it that Lowell really started mass producing his great hulls?
I was thinking it was the very late 70's & early 80's. Heck, back then I would not have been surprised to see that Lowell had 2 permanent separate area's set aside in his shop. One specifically for Elmer Grade and the other for the Kirts clan!

Which brings up another Schumacher question.
Last time I saw Lowell, he was laying down in a 250 trying to break a Kilo @ Moorehaven in 1987. Instead, sadly we witnessed him breaking his back in a horrible blowover (as well as witnessing Larry Lauderbacks brother getting killed the same way, in I believe, a 5 litre Inboard).
Last I heard, Lowell was helping Gary P. build some boats. Is he still doing this? Has anyone heard if he will "personally" build a boat for someone?

Thanks,
Guy

denny henderson
10-05-2005, 02:05 PM
I'll jump in because I know for sure that it is a Schumacher. The picture may have been taken at Alexandria in '79. That was one of the few times Danny ran a Yamato. I built a 350 hydro that same year that had a plywood knot on the deck that resembled a Pekinese dog face. Danny's boat had an identical knot in the same place on the deck. He won the 350 Natls. that year at Alex.

Master Oil Racing Team
10-05-2005, 02:15 PM
And Denny is right about when and where the photo was taken. But, ya gotta admit....that boat ain't no dog and it ain't runnin' flat.

Ron Hill
10-06-2005, 09:30 AM
Sponsonhead...Didn't these hydros have the inside sponso a 1/2 lower than the outside sponson? They were bitchin looking, cool dark windshields... Frank Signarrillo had one....seems Seen, dark on the deck...????

Anyone one but me, think that the capsuled hydros would look better with a wing, like an Unlimited??? It would not be for speed, it would be a requirement...but then, PRO HYDROS would look like BIG BROTHER.....and like it on not, 400,000 went to San Diego to a boat race....Sorry to say, they didn't come to see our Formula Lights run!!!

Always thinking BoaT Race, 24-7....just an idea!!!

sponsonhead
10-06-2005, 09:31 AM
Here's the pics I found. Too bad they're not color. I can tell you that to a 15 year old kid who saw his first F Hydro, this was the ultimate raceboat at the time...to borrow a line from the movie "Wayne's World":

'kinda made you feel funny all over, like when you used to climb the rope in Gym Class'.

I wonder whatever happened to this boat. Anybody know where it ended up?

R-19

sponsonhead
10-06-2005, 09:41 AM
Sponsonhead...Didn't these hydros have the inside sponso a 1/2 lower than the outside sponson? They were bitchin looking, cool dark windshields... Frank Signarrillo had one....seems Seen, dark on the deck...????

They did.....asymetrical sponsons and a big-a$$ twist in the bottom of them. What I remember about those sponsons was that they didn't have curves to them....they were all kind of sharp and angular, but they seemed to get the guys around the corner all right.

In the late 70's, Ron Jones started building a few inboards the same way, with big shingles on the outside sponson. The things would roll up in the corners on the OUTSIDE sponson and corner like they were on rails. He even did that with the 79 Budweiser boat that Chenoweth blew over in the Kilos. Then when they built the "copy" of that boat for 1980s, the shingles were gone. I always wondered if Ron had been influenced by the G&H idea, because it was basically the same.

John Lasher used to run G&H's in DSH. When he built a Super C Hydro in the early 70's, it was a line-for-line copy of a G&H he called a "Lasher Craft". Faster than stink. Should have won the Super C Hydro Nationals at Bakersfield in 77, and he went back to Saranac Lake in 78 and sealed the dealm winning it handily.

Yep, those G&H boats were way cool.

R-19

Dr. Thunder
10-06-2005, 10:14 AM
Hey Patrick ... any idea when/where those photos were taken

sponsonhead
10-06-2005, 12:41 PM
Hey Patrick ... any idea when/where those photos were taken

The first one was Wenas Lake, the second one is Crescent Bar. Both in the 1970-71 time frame.

I have this HUGE box of photos that Richard Koch took in the late 60's/early 70's. That's where these came from. Some color, some black and white. I will try to get more scanned and post them here as time allows.

R-19

sponsonhead
10-06-2005, 09:06 PM
We're looking forward to that. Don't have enough from that time period and there were a lot of great drivers from those days.

Allllrighty, then: Let's get Started!

Here's the first small batch:

sponsonhead
10-06-2005, 10:27 PM
What do you know about that B&w shot with all those fans in the bleachers?
Post more.

That's the old Aqua Theatre at Green Lake in Seattle. The Aqua Theatre was where The Seafair Aqua Follies was held in the 50's and early 60's in Seattle...sort of an Ice Capades show with Synchronized Swimmers, High Diving, and other general water show-stuff.

In 1968 Seattle Outboard hosted the Stock Nationals on Green Lake, and the Aqua Theatre bleachers gave spectators a Birds-Eye view of the first turn. I was about 12 yrs old and had never seen an outboard race, but took the #6 Stoneway Bus from the North End down to Green Lake every day to watch those races. 4 years later I started racing. Anway, the layout of the outboard course at Green Lake made for

A final footnote about the Aqua theatre: That same summer, I saw my first rock concert there: The bill included Three Dog Night, and some new british group nobody had ever heard of called "Led Zeppelin". Good show!

Ok--now back to the pictures:

Master Oil Racing Team
10-21-2005, 06:29 PM
Who knows who these trailers belong too?

carl lewis
10-22-2005, 09:36 PM
Patrick,
since I am somewhat of a "older" racer lets see if I can give some imput to who is driving in yoUr photos...
#1 Robert Waite R-44 and 44-R
back when I was a J racer Robert was the king of FRR with his wife Maryanne as deck rider, after his wifes passing he had Don Haack as deck rider for his last years as a driver. You can still see Robert at a few races a year in region 10 what a great driver and person, no one ever has a bad word about Robert.

#2 no doubt about it being Green Lake, the question would be what year? I see Roberts boat (rapid robert) but it almost looks like he had goggles on and I never remember him wearing any. Also the gentexs look to be in great shape, guessing here say '69?

#3 R-59 Dave Culley been racing here in region 10 for 30 plus years any way
former crew member for the U-7 Noter Dame and crew chief for the Weisfields (Oly beer) and The Miss Budweiser.
dave had a bad spill on a motorcycle years ago and stays away from hydros but still hyas a sit down runabout the somedays still sports a ScottAtwater on the transom

#4 Hmmm. Looks like a old boat the the Meyers family has around for years weather it was Johns or bills Im not sure, However I would tend to think this is Gary Hanson in a BOH in his rookie year sometime in the late "70's

#5 John "Crasher" Lasher John was a racer in regoin 10 for about 20 years, always fast in DSH though was either in the top 3 or upside down. When O'day got the super C thing going John, Mike Jones Mike reish and a few others hopped on the band wagon and we had at least 5 at every race.
John was critically injured at a race in Bridgeport, Wa. in the late '70s or so, this place was way in the hell in the middle of knowwhere and they took him to the local hospital where the Dr. in charge was way over his head and he call ed Johns dad to tell him the bad news. Well it just so happened at that time Johns dad was one of the leading Head surgons in the Northwest at the time and talked the guy through the surgery that saved Johns Life. His boat was toast and he never looked the same but it was still John inside there he built a new boat which I think is the one in the pic and raced a few more years. John passed away around '87 or so someone I will miss as the lasher stories will go on for ever. John was quite the "gardner" if you ever had the chance to try his veggies there were none better!!!

Ron Anderson BOH in a A&H Hydro (Anderson and Hering)
the only question here is is the Kilos when he blew it over or at Lawrence??

#7 Howard Anderson with the 6 looper I wonder if this was in testing as I dont se a deck rider.. also noted on the left looks to be a young John Ewing (penny Andersons youngest son) holding up the boat

#8 BoB Rhoades Zak Konig I remember when we went to Winona for the nationals Bob took 2 days to set up taking his time as he would always do, took about 2 laps in testing and kicked everyones butt that year sure was fast.... by the way Bob is retired ran into him testing with Hobart at Lk. Qunault last year he is living on the Washington Coast watching the waves roll in every day.

#9 John Karelsen 1975 Johns first ASH, this was a year or 2 after Ed got back into building outboards. this is a fuff one as when John was taked from us in a testing accident I lost a roommate and a best friend all at the same time one of the many stories I have about John is bac k in "80 I was with OMC and the king on the tour that year ( yes I remember the crazy hoarse boat Ron) and Jimbo and Fred had bottom covers in the Molinaries so the next year at the Dayton stock nationals we had one for his 20ss, FOR DAYS everyone wondered what that bottom looked like but we were doing our best to hide it... the real joke was it was just a flat bottom but I do think it got John a few places higher in the finals. John was a origional member in the Green Van racing Team.

#10 Stan Hanauer Chips dad, still to this day I dont know why Stan got a c Service but he did, raced it a year or 2 and had some fun. Classic pic Patrick.

#11 Bob Wartinger 25SS at cresent bar. this was a cool place to race, talk about small courses if you went to wide you were in the rocks on the Columiba river, if the dam let water out the course got really small but we always had a great time there, many times way to good of a time!!!

#12 this looks like Cushman Dam or Lk. Quinult back in the late "70s ASR maybe Bryan anderson abn Terry Wolcot. just a guess

Patrick post some more!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carl Lewis

sponsonhead
10-22-2005, 10:15 PM
Carl, you almost batted 1.000 on the pics. The only one you missed was the last one, which I believe is either Powell or possibly even Darrell Sorensen. It is labelled "Lk Cushman AU", but no year or names. I would put it in the 1969-1970 timeframe, which rules out Bryan Anderson who started in 71 with Dave and Scott and I.

Thanks for adding the captions. I will get some more up soon. I got lots :)

R-19

Master Oil Racing Team
10-23-2005, 10:40 AM
I believe that's correct. David L-6, can you tell us who is hanging the motor in the trailer? BTW Pete. You must have some interesting stories to tell about yours and your Dad's racing careers. Can you share some of them with us?

David_L6
10-23-2005, 02:25 PM
David L-6, can you tell us who is hanging the motor in the trailer?

I guess I should know who that is??? Sorry Wayne. I don't know. The guy in the picture above looks familiar.... I don't know who he is either though.

Pete Nydahl
10-24-2005, 04:50 PM
I believe that's correct. David L-6, can you tell us who is hanging the motor in the trailer? BTW Pete. You must have some interesting stories to tell about yours and your Dad's racing careers. Can you share some of them with us?
This is about 1970.Racing Rays C looper with expansion chambers.He also had an Alky 6 deflector with sliding pipes on a 12'8" Marchetti.Who recognizes the skinny kid in the lawn chair

Jeff Lytle
10-24-2005, 05:08 PM
Well.......Judging by the fact that the hydro sitting next to your Dads has a "K" number, I'll guess it's Gary Pugh.

The facts he is still kinda' thin had nothing to do with it!

Cool looking motor Pete........Got any more?

Pete Nydahl
10-24-2005, 05:11 PM
Well.......Judging by the fact that the hydro sitting next to your Dads has a "K" number, I'll guess it's Gary Pugh.

The facts he is still kinda' thin had nothing to do with it!
Bingo,You got it

Pete Nydahl
10-24-2005, 05:42 PM
I think that was some battery CD stuff from OMC? He cast up some aluminum exhaust adapters for the side of the block.The steel elbos were then bolted to them.I think it was last run at DePue in 73.He dumped it in turn 2

Master Oil Racing Team
10-24-2005, 07:51 PM
In 1970 Ray had some cast aluminum brackets for Konigs to bolt on OMC CD ignition components. Tim Chance did an article on the system in Hydroplane Quarterly.

BTW David L6, I had thought that driver with the motor lived in Monroe, not too far from you. I looked him up in an old roster and he is from DeWitt, Ark. That was Jerry McMillan. The other guy was Lucky Lund from San Antonio--Artie's brother.

David_L6
10-24-2005, 08:08 PM
The other guy was Lucky Lund from San Antonio--Artie's brother.

Now I know why he looks familiar! I've seen him at the races a time or three...

John (Taylor) Gabrowski
10-24-2005, 08:53 PM
When I saw the picture of Ray Nydahl's Quincy C Looper Flathead with the expansion chambers a few frames back, I did a double take, printed a copy of the motor, went out to the trailer and there is that same tower housing sitting here too never mind that I have that neat front case Pete's Dad had cast up for special reeds and the Tillotson HD Floatless SnowMo carbs. I used the tower to test 2 carb, 3 cylinder Mercs and Mariners on before forgetting about those as dead issues for racing. I have a Quincy C Flathead here going through a slow rebuild and this is the first picture I have ever seen the Flathead with the expansion chambers on it with a Merc front case and I assume Carter Model N carbs with the adapted ignition. I have a picture of Andy Anderson's Quincy C Flathead reversed on the tower and with expansion chambers too. Did Ray Nydahl have anything to do with that engine too? :)

Pete Nydahl
10-25-2005, 05:56 AM
John,I'm not sure if Ray had anything to do with that engine or not.Post a pic if you can.He did have that special front have engine monted backwards with expansion chambers too,I have no pics of it though.Wayne I have an article from Powerboat Mag,March 1972 about him adapting the OMC ignition to Konigs.

Master Oil Racing Team
10-25-2005, 06:21 AM
I forgot about that one Pete. We had problems with ours the whole 1970 season and quit running them. We never figured out what was causing the ignition to come and go. When it was working it worked good. But the slightest mist would cause ours to become erratic. We never tried so many ways to keep water out of the motor as we did that year. In fact, now that I am thinking about it, I had to learn different driving strategies to avoid water and to pay attention to potential situations coming up on the race course. Your Dad ran it successfully, Ray Hardy ran it and at least one driver at Lakeland in 1971 came up to us singing the praises of that ignition system. Ray must have corrected whatever was causing our problem, but I never found out what it was.

Pete Nydahl
11-08-2005, 06:42 AM
Over half of this bunch is still racing today

Master Oil Racing Team
11-08-2005, 07:06 AM
I'm glad someone had the presence of mind to gather you all together for this photo. I know a few, but not all of them. From L-R who is in this crowd?

jrome
11-08-2005, 09:01 AM
Pete,THANKS FOR THE PICS AND POSTS.THE SPRINGFIELD PIC IS GREAT.PLEASE KEEP THE POSTS COMING.IF YOU HAVE PICS OF YOU AND YOUR DADS BOATS.KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.

Master Oil Racing Team
11-08-2005, 01:54 PM
Joe Rome and I were talking on the phone a little earlier. We both decided it would be super cool if you and the remaining racers could get together for a 25 year reunion photo. Maybe at DePue and some of the retired gang could show as well.

David Weaver
11-08-2005, 06:50 PM
My wife Ellen smoothing an exhaust elbow before the first heat of 250 runabout at the Nationals this year. Photo by T. Ziemer.

David Weaver
11-08-2005, 07:11 PM
Mark Stahl's day is over, finally. Sunday at the Nationals after Mark takes a very hard pounding in 350 runabout (refer to Splash Section - Pro Nationals). Photo by Teri Ziemer.

John Schubert T*A*R*T
11-08-2005, 08:22 PM
Joe Rome and I were talking on the phone a little earlier. We both decided it would be super cool if you and the remaining racers could get together for a 25 year reunion photo. Maybe at DePue and some of the retired gang could show as well.
Wayne, I talked to several people at Raleigh, Voss, Schmidt, and others about a reunion next year at Deoue. Perhaps we can get Simison, Hoppy, Jerry Peterson, Dick O'Dea, Johnny Yale, to name a few to come. We need someone to head this reunion up & to get r dun!

Master Oil Racing Team
11-08-2005, 08:38 PM
I was hoping to make DePue this year, but our trip to San Francisco came too late. Debbie wants to go see our erstwhile neighbors in Hawaii again next summer. Not firmed up yet, but if we do, I am pushing for taking off as soon as school is out so we can get back in time to go to DePue. So let's start working on it.

BTW Ray Yates called a couple of days ago and the LSBRA reunion will be at the Baytown Boat Club at Highlands, Texas Feb 11-12, 2006. There will be future reminders.

Ron Hill
11-09-2005, 07:36 PM
If I don't go off to Italy or some damn fool place...Maybe, I'd go....Actaully, this year I was at the Junior Water Polo Olympics...and they may very well be the first week of August, 2006....

Someone plan it and it will happen...

Doug Hall Y51
11-10-2005, 08:32 PM
Hey Ron, no problem, I got my Pro-Motion newsletter and it shows the Nationals tentative for July 26-30. Make plans now. I am not much of a planner but anything I could do to help count me in. Anybody heard what Paulie Bogosian is doing. Havent seen him and his family since he visited the Springfield race about 12 years ago.

David Weaver
11-11-2005, 05:31 AM
I would suggest Friday night for a Reunion Party. You might able to arrange something at Pikstick's (SP?). Paulie Bosnich would be a good contact for this.

Racing will take place Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

There is usually a big dinner Wednesday night in the pits for the drivers, crews and volunteers/ race officials.
Satruday night there is an awards banquet for the first 2 days of racing.

The DePue's Men's Club is the host of the race and the USTS is conducting club of the race. I expect both of these organizations will be up to their ears in alligators during the week. So, this effort really will need a couple of volunteers to coordinate things. We will be glad to lend advice or answer any questions.

I hope many "old timers" return and catch the bug again.....

Master Oil Racing Team
11-17-2005, 09:26 AM
In the meantime more Springfield 1977. BTW, Dan M, is that you in the 2nd photo handling the left?

Dan M
11-17-2005, 11:34 AM
Wayne,

Good eye. That is me standing next to Phil Howard, Bill Van, and Ray Hardy. Eileen was driving. I think she won High point that year in Formula 350.

Again GREAT pics.

Thanks,

Dan:D :D

Master Oil Racing Team
11-17-2005, 09:37 PM
Dan, We hung around too many of the same crowd for me to take this long to find a shot of you, but I'm sure there's more. Ever hear from Phil Howard? Jim Trimble said he was going to get him on BRF but that's been a while back. In fact Jim said he found a lot of photos that he was going to post as soon as he got a scanner. That's been a while back too.

Steve de Souza
02-20-2006, 09:12 PM
This is a picture of the R&D I bought from Don Haack. This was near the beginning of my racing career. The boat was damaged pretty badly after I ran out out of river in the Slough Race.

Master Oil Racing Team
04-05-2006, 05:38 PM
previews of a little dvd about an Acapulco exhibition race in1980;

Tomtall
04-05-2006, 07:35 PM
Steve - Love that R&D. Looks fast just sitting still. The swept back cowling and wind screen look awsome. What's the history on R&D boats?

Master Oil Racing Team
06-02-2006, 08:33 AM
a few pics from the OLY Pro Nationals--1976

David Weaver
06-02-2006, 04:10 PM
OK ,

Wayne names please?

Also if an unmanmed club returned here for a boat race would you attend????

Suppose we let you drive a 97mph 250ccH???? :D :D

Master Oil Racing Team
06-02-2006, 05:42 PM
I have generally stayed away from putting out the names. I like to post the pictures with the hope that others out there will fill in the names. I post too much anyway, but I will if no one else does. I want the people that were there and remember the events to add something. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't.

I would love to go back to Winona. It was a fantastic venue the three years we went. The second year I was sidelined, but we still had a great time. These days it is difficult to get away, but that is one place I would consider.

The last question :eek: If I thought I could get away with it:D , but:( it's been a long time since I have aired any plywood out. I don't know if I could feel the lift well enough to get there;) Methinks the boats these days are so light with the new materials, and handling characteristics are probably different from my day so that I think if I tried I would want Paul Simison or Cameraboy on the side to record when I should have let off.:D

David Weaver
06-03-2006, 03:19 AM
I have generally stayed away from putting out the names. I like to post the pictures with the hope that others out there will fill in the names. I post too much anyway, but I will if no one else does. I want the people that were there and remember the events to add something. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't.

I would love to go back to Winona. It was a fantastic venue the three years we went. The second year I was sidelined, but we still had a great time. These days it is difficult to get away, but that is one place I would consider.

The last question :eek: If I thought I could get away with it:D , but:( it's been a long time since I have aired any plywood out. I don't know if I could feel the lift well enough to get there;) Methinks the boats these days are so light with the new materials, and handling characteristics are probably different from my day so that I think if I tried I would want Paul Simison or Cameraboy on the side to record when I should have let off.:D

My guess is that it just like riding a bike. Besides, my 4-blade Dewald propeller will keep the nose down for you.:)

F-12
06-03-2006, 03:50 AM
I recognize Scott Smith in there looking at an FA Konig, and one of Danny Kirts boats (H-1)

Master Oil Racing Team
06-03-2006, 06:39 AM
Your'e close on the Kirts Charley, but that's Jerry. His brother Tom is just to the right. I forget the name of the pit man on the left.

And David--I only blew over once, so I don't have much experience to fall back on. Also on a bike, the ground would be closer and slower. Are you going to Alexandria in August?

Bob Rusnak
06-03-2006, 08:29 AM

Hi Wayne, great pictures as usual. The red DeSilva (N-48) belonged to the late Bob Hooghkirk. From thr picture I believe it was powered by a Crescent engine. Any pictures of N-96? Bob

Master Oil Racing Team
06-03-2006, 08:41 AM
Hi Bob. Yes I do have some of Bob Hooghkirk. In fact I have a series that I have intended to put on the splash section from Alexandria, but I have misplaced the transparency on the middle of the sequence and haven't found it yet. I also have some of Pete Voss, Dick Scoponich, Jim Gohery and others I need to post one of these days.

Add: I misread your post at first. Yeah, I think I have more of N 96. most of my stuff is B&W, but I think I still have some of you from Hinton that I didn't post. When I first started, I didn't keep track of the ones I posted and I don't always remember what is already out there. I'll look back. Were you at Winona?

David_L6
06-03-2006, 12:54 PM
it's been a long time since I have aired any plywood out.

Want to try flying some carbon fiber? :cool:

If you can ever get to one of our races you should take one of my boats for a ride.

I don't know if I could feel the lift well enough to get there;)

When the ride gets kind of "quiet" and real smooth you need to do something! Like start thinking about how your going land this thing. :eek:

David_L6
06-03-2006, 12:56 PM
Your'e close on the Kirts Charley, but that's Jerry. His brother Tom is just to the right. I forget the name of the pit man on the left.

And David--I only blew over once, so I don't have much experience to fall back on. Also on a bike, the ground would be closer and slower. Are you going to Alexandria in August?

What's going on at Alex in August?

Master Oil Racing Team
06-03-2006, 01:06 PM
Hey David, I was really looking forward to Alex this spring before I had to cancel out. One of the main reasons was to take you up on your offer of a short ride. When I heard that you broke your motor before the races I was REAL GLAD that my hand wasn't on the throttle when it broke.;) But, it is still tempting. Joe tells me that there will be a title series race there Aug 27-29.

Every now and then I have a nightmare that I am about 500-600 feet above the Fox River in my 700 hydro and everything is VERY QUIET, and REAL SMOOTH. :eek: And that is EXACTLY what I think about.... how do I get down?

David_L6
06-03-2006, 01:28 PM
My motor problems were no big deal. Just a water leak. The Mercs are tough as nails. About the only thing that ever breaks on one is the lower unit. Don't worry about something happening to my motor - just go for a ride. If something breaks while you're in the boat it would break while I am in a race anyway.

As long as Ralph is at the race I have a couple of back up motors. We both have a 44 plus another one that we both contributed parts and money to. That motor is in Ralph's trailer for a couple of reasons.... I seldom go to a race that he isn't at and he's got a lot bigger trailer. Ralph usually doesn't run 44 hydro either so I could use his motor if both of the others had problems.

I hope there is a Title Series race at Alex. in August. If I don't have to work I'll be there.

Doug Hall Y51
06-03-2006, 02:33 PM
Wayne, I believe the boat that everyone is working on is Dan Kirts. It looks like Tommy Kirts ( the one with no shirt and curly blonde hair) and maybe Jim Kirts leaning on the boat with the red hair. Could be wrong. I will have to ask my dad what happened to Danny, if that is his boat.

Bob Rusnak
06-03-2006, 02:42 PM
Hi Bob. Yes I do have some of Bob Hooghkirk. In fact I have a series that I have intended to put on the splash section from Alexandria, but I have misplaced the transparency on the middle of the sequence and haven't found it yet. I also have some of Pete Voss, Dick Scoponich, Jim Gohery and others I need to post one of these days.

Add: I misread your post at first. Yeah, I think I have more of N 96. most of my stuff is B&W, but I think I still have some of you from Hinton that I didn't post. When I first started, I didn't keep track of the ones I posted and I don't always remember what is already out there. I'll look back. Were you at Winona?
No Wayne never went to Winona. The only Nationals I went to were DePue several times and Hinton. I will have to dig through some of my old photo's and see what would be of interest on the site to post....Bob N-96

Master Oil Racing Team
06-03-2006, 03:32 PM
Right on the money Doug. I couldn't remember the Kirts boy's names. That's Todd Brinkman, Sr. on the far left and John Dortch Jr. with the floppy hat and suspenders. I think it may be Jerry Kirts to the back left the the hat on and you can see Rodney Walk in the background to the right with sunglasses on.

Bob, see if you can find your pics. Would like to see them.

Kristi Ellison
06-05-2006, 04:55 PM
WOW

I have been sitting here with my kids feeling really old looking at the pictures from Winona and Springfield. There are several of the back of my head helping my Dad get out in the old Merc C-Service. I love the picture of all us kids in 1979 and it is amazing that well over 1/2 of us are still racing. Because we lived in Texas for the 5 years before my Dad died the kids did not know him very well so it is fun to show them pictures of Chris and I helping him just like they help us today.

Thanks for the pictures...keep them coming.

Kristi Ellison (Hellsten)

David Weaver
06-06-2006, 04:33 AM

Alex in August in on the agenda! I love the food and the hospitality and the fast water.

Plus, I get to see David L6 who gets a ride also if he shows up!!

Master Oil Racing Team
06-06-2006, 09:02 AM
I haven't even scratched the surface yet with photos Kristi. Stay tuned for more. I didn't know you ever lived in Texas.

The first photo in the last series is Dr. Phil Wagner in the runabout. I believe it is Dick Hoppenwrath in the yellow slicker, and Jerry Simision in the red windbreaker. I can't tell about the rest, but they are part of Jerry's pit crew.

The third photo is hard to tell, but I think it is Pete Voss with the hammer, and though the other guy has a strong resemblance to Don Anderson, I think it is somebody else.

Master Oil Racing Team
06-06-2006, 09:40 AM
More Winona 1976.

John Schubert T*A*R*T
06-06-2006, 01:51 PM
I haven't even scratched the surface yet with photos Kristi. Stay tuned for more. I didn't know you ever lived in Texas.

The first photo in the last series is Dr. Phil Wagner in the runabout. I believe it is Dick Hoppenwrath in the yellow slicker, and Jerry Simision in the red windbreaker. I can't tell about the rest, but they are part of Jerry's pit crew.

The third photo is hard to tell, but I think it is Pete Voss with the hammer, and though the other guy has a strong resemblance to Don Anderson, I think it is somebody else.
The other guy has a very strong resemblance to Malcolm Harden.

Kristi Ellison
06-09-2006, 01:42 PM
I lived in SanAntonio from 1997 to 2002, which is why we did not see much of my Dad. SA was not on the way to and from any races. It was interesting to see Lake Braunig 20 years later....not much different and still hot as he**.

Looking foward to more pictures!

Kristi

F-12
06-09-2006, 04:47 PM
Is that David Westbrook?.............

Master Oil Racing Team
06-10-2006, 11:28 AM
Yes Charley.

Master Oil Racing Team
06-11-2006, 11:46 AM
2nd pic, last series L-R, near tent Homer Kincaid, E E "Baldy" Baldwin, Jack Chance. At transom of hydro, Tim Butts. With back to us Lowell Schumacher. I know who the blonde guy is, but can't remember his name.

Final pic. L-R Craig Lawrence and I think Dale Sellers and possible Charlie Blackwood, Jr. going to help out Johnny Dortch who blew his runabout over on the front stretch.

dlmurray
06-11-2006, 06:48 PM

Pete says the guy with the hammer looks like David Augustine. Pete says it isn't him.

Thanks for the photos!

Master Oil Racing Team
06-12-2006, 07:39 AM
Well at least we got Pete looking. Tell him if he signs on I'll put up some shots of us in Berlin.

dlmurray
06-12-2006, 08:01 PM
Well at least we got Pete looking. Tell him if he signs on I'll put up some shots of us in Berlin.

I will let him know. I am sure he would love to see them.

The man can't turn on a computer--but he can race a boat!

Thanks!

Master Oil Racing Team
06-15-2006, 07:22 PM
Here's a few shots from the 1976 Oly Pro Nationals in Winona, Minnesota.

David Weaver
07-10-2006, 03:50 PM
Raleigh, NC Lake Wheeler 1969-1971 time frame.

David Weaver
07-10-2006, 03:51 PM
Not much to do for these 4 in LaCrosse, WI.

Dave_E71
07-11-2006, 08:50 AM
Raleigh, NC Lake Wheeler 1969-1971 time frame.

Those guys look familiar but I can't quite place them.........

BTW, thanks David, I've been looking for a color picture of that paint scheme, look for it on a new MJR 250 hydro coming to a race near you :D. Actually, I doubt it will be before Raleigh after my 5 week TDY in Africa :(

Dave

Formula250
07-11-2006, 01:35 PM
These are all from Lakeland, Fla 1993. I don't have any contact sheets & it is hard to identify some people from a negative. So some of them I didn't recognize until I scanned, some I don't know. Maybe you guys could help out.

Sorry I'm a bit late to find these, but I recognise some guys too.
(2nd Pic) 3rd from the left Mike Smith O-500/F-500 Driver, Former water speed record holder.
(5th Pic) 1st guy in the white T-shirt and pen and paper John Tassell UK, former Inboard R-1 driver, from Stewartby Club England.

If ever your having a party, Mike Smith's name should be 1st on the list...Whatever he does, you can be sure, everybody will be talking about it for years....

Remember this Ralph ??

Regards
Steve - Site Admin
http://formulaseries.net

Donald
07-18-2006, 06:54 AM
Yes, Steve I remember! It was in Ternopol, and the Russians won the first three places. Alexi Ischutin in the middle, Andre Bernitsin on the left, Manfred Loth was 4th, his face is hidden, Lazslo Volente with the beard. I was on down the line some place along with Peer Krage and Andy Chesman.

Ron Hill
07-29-2006, 05:21 PM
First is Bobby Herring, Jerry Waldman and Carl Stippich...

The second one is at Essex, Maryland, 1967. Jerry Waldman raced A Stock Hydro for the Hedlunds....Charlie Strang was one of the inspectors, I think...It rained 12 inches one day...

The third picture is the 1965 Needles marathon...

Looks like Steve Wilde won AU...

Thanks for the pictures, Chris, send me more!!!

Close ups of Jerry and Charlie...Jerry was as close to Charlie's son as anyone could have been....Chrlie's mother always considered Bobby Herring and Jerry Wldman, "HER" boys....

Master Oil Racing Team
08-12-2006, 07:54 AM
Found this while I was looking through some contact sheets. It was taken at Kaukauna, Wisconsin in 1976. I figure I should know who this is, but I can't come up with a name. I think some of you out there would know.

MN1
08-12-2006, 10:39 AM
Is it Dick Iglebrentson (sp)
Mark N

Master Oil Racing Team
08-12-2006, 12:18 PM
Here's a clue. That's Bob Hering's tunnel. And a Merc dangling off the transom.

John Schubert T*A*R*T
08-13-2006, 09:50 AM
Here's a clue. That's Bob Hering's tunnel. And a Merc dangling off the transom.
The guy on the right with the cup in his hand is the now deceased Gary Garbrecht. The other 2 could be Merc factory team guys.

BustnlooseIII
08-14-2006, 09:13 AM
:confused: My Dad thought the one guy looked possibly like Melvin Cooper from Savannah, Ga.

Jeff Lytle
08-14-2006, 09:44 AM
:confused: :confused: Which way is up?:confused: :confused:

Master Oil Racing Team
08-14-2006, 09:54 AM
That would tend to addle the brain a little.

It's not Melvin.

John--I don't think that is Gary although I believe he was there. These photos are not good enough to get a positive I.D. However, Jeff with his eagle eye may figure out what the shirt says.

Jeff Lytle
08-14-2006, 10:24 AM
It says "Wash Me"!! :D

Although the guy in the pic looks a bit thin for my guess, I'll give it a go.....

Is it Mike Werner??

Master Oil Racing Team
08-14-2006, 10:40 AM
If you mean the driver from Germany--No!

I really don't know who these guys are. I think Mark N probably named the guy I first posted about. I was just curious. The kilos at Kaukauna were a mix of stock, modified, pro and OPC. I knew very few people there. Only Tim Butts, and of course my Dad "Baldy", along with Bob Hering, Wil Pergande, Louis Collins and Jeff Hutchins. I think Gary Garbrecht was there as well as some OMC people, but unfortunately I didn't take many pictures. Maybe I'll throw some of the others up to see who can be identified.

John Schubert T*A*R*T
08-14-2006, 11:30 AM
If you mean the driver from Germany--No!

I really don't know who these guys are. I think Mark N probably named the guy I first posted about. I was just curious. The kilos at Kaukauna were a mix of stock, modified, pro and OPC. I knew very few people there. Only Tim Butts, and of course my Dad "Baldy", along with Bob Hering, Wil Pergande, Louis Collins and Jeff Hutchins. I think Gary Garbrecht was there as well as some OMC people, but unfortunately I didn't take many pictures. Maybe I'll throw some of the others up to see who can be identified.
After seeing the latest picture, I agree it's not Gary. I recognize the guy in the center, but don't know who.

Marty, I don't believe Melvin ever wandered north of the Mason Dixon line. Don't even recall if he ever came to Depue, but might have.

mbd29
08-14-2006, 12:30 PM
Mark N. is correct that is Dick Ingebretsen of Rockford. He and I were in the Safety boat that pulled Bob out of the water.

Jeff Lytle
08-14-2006, 12:40 PM
Say what some might.........But isn't the net an amazing thing?

BustnlooseIII
08-14-2006, 12:41 PM
Ah, Jeff that picture brings back memories. Someone had gotten the whole series of that event on camera and it sits proudly displayed on the lower level of my parents house. That is Ron Shurilla ducking as he goes by. Funny thing, he made it out the next heat. Only thing hurt was his pride and a bent steering bar. If memory serves correctly, he finished 3rd overall in that class that time. Sorry, I got off topic. I didn't even know there were tunnels around at that time. Kaukauna has changed since that time. Last I heard they weren't allowing any open exhaust any more. We haven't tested there for 2 years now. I think up until now, though some stock guys still were. There are lots of stories about that place and the Marina Bar.

Roy Hodges
08-14-2006, 01:14 PM
Can someone tell me if the RILEY 75 horsepower outboard motor was a 2 stroke , or 4 stroke ? it was a RADIAL 5 cylinder made in mid 50's , or ,at least ADVERTISED then . All i ever saw was a PICTURE of it , then it seemed to dissapear .

Mark75H
08-14-2006, 03:47 PM
The Riley was a 4 stroke based on an aircraft motor. Peter Hunn's Old Outboard book has information on it

Master Oil Racing Team
08-14-2006, 06:22 PM
....I figured someone on BRF could make the i.d.

mbd29---how's about pointing yourself out and identifying the others?

mbd29
08-15-2006, 05:16 AM
That is me to the right of Bob's knee. Not sure who is next to me, maybe Duwayne Timm, next to him looks like Ron Baker then Dick Ingebretsen. I think that is Dick's wife, Anita, in the boat. I belive our wives were with us when Bob blew over. It was real scary. You could see it coming and I think we were moving as he was going over. I think I was in the water first and I thought Bob was gone.

mbd29
08-15-2006, 05:18 AM
I just looked at the shot again and see my wifes head above Anita. I guess they both were in the boat.

Any chance I could get a print of that shot?

Master Oil Racing Team
08-15-2006, 05:35 AM
Send me a pm with address.

I thought he was gone too. It was the worst I ever personally witnessed. You guys were right there. I saw it coming to and had time to focus my 500mm lens. I had not been taking pictures until after my run. My motor drive was set on 1.5 frames per second instead a 3.5, otherwise I would have burnt a whole roll of film on this. I only realized it when I pushed the the button and instead of shoop-shoop-shoop-shoop, the camera was going ka-chunk ka-chunk ka-chunk. Guess I need to take the time and put that series up in the splash section one of these days.

Thanks for you help in identifying these people.

Master Oil Racing Team
08-15-2006, 09:37 AM
This was the spread published in the September 1976 issue of Powerboat. Word spread like wildfire about that "SafeJacket" Bob was wearing. The next time we were in the pits there were a whole bunch of us wearing them.

Master Oil Racing Team
08-15-2006, 09:42 AM
I have a hard time sizing articles correctly. Let's try this on the caption.

Master Oil Racing Team
08-15-2006, 06:31 PM
Here are a couple of shots. Bob Hering with the "Safe Jacket" and how it fits underneath the life jacket. I don't know how long Bob had been wearing one, but he credited it with lessening the severity of his injuries. The boat racers up North knew how to find them, as many of them raced snowmobiles during the winter. It was either Tim Butts or one of the Kirts' that helped us locate a source.

Roy Hodges
08-15-2006, 06:42 PM
I am thinkin thats what the guys in region 11 were calling "flak jackets " about that time . I did NOT have one , when i rolled my boat in the corner at Stockton, & i paid with 2 or 3 cracked ribs . hurt for a month. I did not go to doc or emergency , as my wife (deceased) was a registered nurse, & she said i gonna hurt for a month , no matter what . She was right .

Jeff Lytle
08-15-2006, 06:48 PM
Mercury used to sell them under the name "Safe-Jac"

It was mostly OPC'rs who I saw wearing them, including all the Team Mercury boys of the day. They were worn under the Gentex jacket........I don't remember seeing anyone wear one after Simpson and Lifeline first got into the life jacket game. I remember some of the Inboard guys having them as well......All with Gentex jackets.

I remember reading somewhere they were originally designed to be worn outside a snowmobile suit or winter gear. Most of the outer area had sewn on nylon (plastic? teflon?) panels that were meant to help deflect sticks and bush a rider might encounter while on a sled. I don't believe I remember seeing anywhere it had or added impact resistance.........But for awhile, it seems everyone had one!

Jeff Lytle
08-15-2006, 06:52 PM
Simple Google search revealed this:

Master Oil Racing Team
08-15-2006, 07:42 PM
I saw them used only with Gentex, although in the beginning there may have been one or two Texas boys run them under a Lifeline. I was thinking Simpson and Lifeline later incorporated some such protection inside, next to the body. Never owned one so don't know.

I didn't have the Safe Jac model. It looks more comfortable. I had to trim mine forward of the arm and shoulder area so I could comfortably kneel low in the cockpit with arms stretched forward. If not it would bite into my shoulders and be distracting. I always tested fully suited up so everything I had on would feel natural when racing. So my Safe Jacket was trimmed then duct taped.

I don't remember Dan Kirts mentioning needing any protection from branches or sticks. I remember him saying it helps when you get hit with a sled ski.:D

John Schubert T*A*R*T
08-16-2006, 05:30 AM
....I figured someone on BRF could make the i.d.

mbd29---how's about pointing yourself out and identifying the others?
Bob's body has many car tissues including bones. When I lived in Winter Haven, FL in the early 70's while working for OMC, Bob took a nasty flip while testing at Lake X. I visited him in the hospital, I believe in Orlando, and he appeared to have a body cast that if my memory is correct covered at least half of his body. Bob always recovered and never let these severe injuries keep him out of the cockpit. A lot of us had nasty blow overs & barrel roles in non capsule boats and can talk about them today, but we also lost a lot of friends from that era as a result of severe incidences in non capsule boats.

Master Oil Racing Team
08-16-2006, 05:43 AM
You can see that in just a split second the enormous force of impact. The spray in the second frame is just spray flying forward from the point of impact which is about 40' to the left. Now you can see why mbd29 thought the worst. And why so many went out and bought a safe jacket.

Fast Fred
09-13-2006, 09:20 AM
got to be goin 65mph or better to skim like that,:eek:

Master Oil Racing Team
09-13-2006, 09:57 AM
.........but skimmin's better than just stoppin'.;)

epugh66
12-09-2006, 10:21 AM
Who is the little blonde head boy.He has to be around my age.

That would be me. Springfield '77 was my first race, ever. I had one of the first Y-80's and ran it on a Sid Craft borrowed from the Nydahls. I remember having a close race with Eileen Van Stenwyk.

There's another pic from the Winona '76 driver's meeting. Standing, right side of frame is Gary. Winona '76 was Gary's first race. He ran a Konig 125 on the second boat he built.

David Weaver, I agree, LaCrosse '80 has to be the worst race attempt ever.

epugh66
12-12-2006, 09:27 PM
Here's a few tourist at the 2003 Alexandria USTS event.

Master Oil Racing Team
12-13-2006, 08:17 AM
That was the last race I have been to Eric, and the first for my kids. It was a great time and I really enjoyed seeing a bunch of my old friends. Didn't even get to talk to everyone. The only disappointing thing of that race was the kids didn't get to see any 500 or 700 hydros run as there were not enough to put on a race.

epugh66
12-14-2006, 10:18 PM
Tim Butts gets ready for the OB/350cc world championships in Nottingham, England.

Master Oil Racing Team
12-15-2006, 06:45 AM
Eric, the 06 boat on the right from Yugoslavia---who was the driver?

Where were you pitted? More pit shots please.

epugh66
12-16-2006, 10:04 PM
The year was 1984. We were pitted right there. The american team was prety "all for one". Tim Butts, Gary Pugh, Ralph Donald, Mark Borges and Lee Bartolomei flying the flag.

I dont remember the Yugoslavs name, I think he was there for the OC/500cc WC though. Either Lee or Mark chopped the nose off of his boat in a freak pit accident. He then used the Pugh boat for that WC.

I'll be happy to share more pics over time.

spn#43
12-17-2006, 09:22 AM
Eric, the 06 boat on the right from Yugoslavia---who was the driver?

Where were you pitted? More pit shots please.

His name is Janez Ajlec. If I remember correctly, somebody crashed in to his boat sitting on the dock, and USA team let him use one of their boats, or something like that.
On the picture below is his original boat #106.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i24/spn43/stare7.jpg
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i24/spn43/stare6.jpg

epugh66
12-18-2006, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the name SPN. Were you there or do you just have a really good knowledge of mid 80's eastern European O class racers?:)

As I remember the story, either Lee or Mark came back to the jetty "goosing" the throttle. As luck would have it, the last full throttle blast would leave the carbs locked open. Sometimes König carbs would jam if not aligned just right. With not much space to move, he knocked a sponson tip off the Yugoslavians boat before the engine died.

The boat was either a Butts or a copy. I do have a pic of a team mates(#104) boat. Perhaps SPN can fill in the details. How does a Butts or a copy get to Yugoslavia?

Hmmmm, what happened to the photo upload?

spn#43
12-18-2006, 12:20 PM
I am a Yugoslavian, (Serbian) and Janez and his buddy #104 Drago Perko raced against my brother (#115 now Champ boat SPN #44) in early-mid 80’s. I was just a pit kid back then, but I remember Janez telling his story. They did have two Butts boats yellow OC 500 and red OB 350 but I think Janez was there with his newly purchased lay down hydro from another Yugoslavian that moved to out of the country.
We used to be good friends but after we moved to USA we lost all contacts with ex YU racing scene.
Page
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i24/spn43/stare3.jpg

spn#43
12-18-2006, 12:24 PM
In the picture, black 115 my brother, red 103 guy that bought Janez’s Butts and black 106 Janez in his new boat.

spn#43
12-18-2006, 12:44 PM
You know what,,,,, I was wrong.:o :o He was there with Butts and immediately after that race he purchased lay down boat and sold his damaged boat to old comeback racer from Yugoslavia.
My bad,,,,,,it was long time ago.:o :D
Page

Mark75H
12-18-2006, 01:41 PM
Page, how many boats and races were on the Yugoslav race scene back then? Were there a lot of races or did a racer have to travel around Europe to get in a season of racing? Did the Russian and Polish racers ever come to Yugoslavia for races other than major title races?

Master Oil Racing Team
12-18-2006, 08:39 PM
In 1976 Walt Blankenstein smuggled in a calculator to East Berlin for Bernie Danisch to convert inches to millimeters for the purpose of copying a Yale. John Yale was one of the first to buy a Butts Aerowing, then later started building pickleforks himself. I don't know how close they were to a Butts as Tim's designs could change slightly with every boat. But at that time, all Europeans thought of was how dominant a picklefork had become in the U.S. in such a short time.

I don't know if Bernie ever had any success or not. I know if he tried them in the places I raced, that design was a killer. In Nottingham or some of the places in Italy or Sweden, it may work O.K.

I will never forget going through Checkpoint Charlie with Walt. Walt took the calculator and I took some chocolate for a friend of Dieter's. He had to go through a different checkpoint since he lived in Berlin. He told us where to meet up, then we had dinner with a bunch of Bernie's friends in East Berlin. He was much younger than I had expected for a famous boat builder.