PDA

View Full Version : Looper Quiz

Original Looper 1
05-13-2008, 09:10 PM
I have a quiz for all you racing engine fans out there. A highly respected Looper collector and restorer sent me this photo of a pile of Loopers he plans to restore in the future. I'm not mentioning his name as he asked me not to do so.

How many Loopers can you count in the photo? Are they 2-cylinder, 4-cylinder, etc?

Good luck with the quiz.

thanks,

Paul A Christner

Jeff Lytle
05-14-2008, 04:18 AM
I feel queezy! :eek:

Jeff Lytle
05-14-2008, 04:34 AM
4--4bangers, and 6--2's.............Took a sedative...........felling much better now! :D

fbref5269
05-14-2008, 05:45 AM
i agree with jeff. 6 2's anf 4 4's. the one i'm not sure of is at about 1:00. could be a 4.

and no jeff this is not my basement. although:)

i do see some parts i need....

frank

John (Taylor) Gabrowski
05-14-2008, 08:14 AM
Something in the picture tipped me off and in my respect for the owner in keeping his privacy I too will not name him. :)

Jeff Lytle
05-14-2008, 10:48 AM
Looks like he might have a 6 hanging around there too........Note the empty SSM gearcase.

Mark75H
05-14-2008, 03:57 PM
Looks like he might have a 6 hanging around there too........Note the empty SSM gearcase.

Since the exhaust outlet is fully above the cav plate ... its a Mk75H case. Either a one off prototype or an altered case ... monster fin on that thing ... extended way farther forward than it belongs ... takes up the space where the water inlets belong.

John (Taylor) Gabrowski
05-14-2008, 05:30 PM
There is an earlier Konig class C gearcase on the lower left. The type that has the water inlet hole dead center of the front of the torpedo. I went out to the garage with the notebook computer and compared the couple I have. Seems to be so 99%. :)

Mark75H
05-14-2008, 06:48 PM
There is an earlier Konig class C gearcase on the lower left. The type that has the water inlet hole dead center of the front of the torpedo. I went out to the garage with the notebook computer and compared the couple I have. Seems to be so 99%. :)

I call that area the left edge, just above center. There were several styles of Konig racing lower unit with that shape at the rear top - they were used on at least 4 motor sizes depending on gear ratio (M, A, B & C and the Stocker). The earliest were screw in units like Quickies marked "LINKS" for left hand thread and later ones were secured by 2 long bolts down from the top. Early units had one water inlet dead center on the nose, later had 3 inlets, one at 6 o'clock below the point and the other 2 at the sides; looked like a smiley face if pointed right at you.

Jeff Lytle
05-14-2008, 07:09 PM
Take a look:

A:--Note the welded straight tubes here...Very strange indeed. As for Franks question about this possibly being a 4, take a look at the distributor <<Two wires>>

B:--Nice Quincy tank.

C:--Note the finger ports in these pistons :D

Any more pics of this pile o' gold Paul?

Gene East
05-14-2008, 09:19 PM
Are you ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY SURE those are finger ports????

Jeff Lytle
05-15-2008, 04:43 AM
They look like they are directly above the wrist pin hole Gene, what else could they possibly be?

Thinking about it afterwards, I thought it might be the relief area seen on the wrist pin side of some looper pistons. In the pic below, it shows that, but the pistons mentioned before more like finger ports to me.

Now comes the question...............What were they for located where they are?

Jeff Lytle
05-15-2008, 04:48 AM
Here they are:

Frank Volker
05-15-2008, 08:38 AM
Here they are:
Jeff, those "ports" above the wrist pin were actually cast-in and were more like big dimples; they were for relief. The finger ports--sometimes called "puff ports" or "boost ports" were cut in the back side of the cylinder opposite the exhaust ports. Somewhere on here, there are some closeups of that piston style. The milled slots were also most likely for relief.

Frank V.

Jeff Lytle
05-15-2008, 10:25 AM
Just figured that out Frank by finding another pic that was buried in the forums..........THANKS!

Gene East
05-15-2008, 10:50 AM
Thanks Frank.
Good to know you're still lurking around out there.

Ronny W.
08-18-2008, 06:16 PM
I think i know that motor with the tubes welded on them if it is they where welded on there to run camber on them.I think that motor once belong to my dad. Wish they still ran the old loops there nothing like the sound of them coming down the straitaway good i miss that.