PDA

View Full Version : xf-34

fbref5269
05-23-2008, 07:55 AM
hi all,

last weekend i also picked up anothe 44 looper powerhead, xf34. this one is in real nice shape and should clean up real nice. this one will be run!!!! it tuens freely but all the bearings will be replaced. they love me at napa, first name basis now. looks like they ran an electric fuel pump because the mounting brackets are covered. dave augustine is getting a lower unit for this one. and if paul is out here i hope he can let us know who had this one. in all the stuff was also a d block that will need one cyl to be resleeved. does anyone know where i can get this done. it does have finger ports but are different than the on in the b i have.

i've attached a pictyure of the 44 and also what my truck looked like coming home. you can get a lot of stuff in a c5 vette. and got 30mph to boot. thats better than a diesel pickup. right davie:)

frank

fbref5269
05-23-2008, 08:03 AM
here are the pictures. and it was 30 mpg. went a little fasterthen 30 mph.

frank

Jeff Lytle
05-23-2008, 08:21 AM
You've got it BAAAAAD! :D

John (Taylor) Gabrowski
05-23-2008, 09:02 AM
That pile looks nice. The main assembled block is an interesting older class F that uses the wider elbos that don't have the water injection shoulder knobs on the elbo casting yet. It uses Merc 55H and Merc 44 components. That all Quincy crankcase front has a thrown rod hole but looks like it can be weld repaired real nice. Just from appearances you have a lot to work with that will make you some nice and even working powerheads.

If you need any tips or opinions on your restorations please feel free to ask as there is a lot of good advice from readers to be had to get it all just right. :)

fbref5269
05-23-2008, 09:55 AM
jeff and john,

yes jeff i got it badddddd! but it's a good bad:) my office can double for the looper quiz picture. can't wait to have the workshop built.

john... the rod did do a number on the crank. i do intend to get it welded and to put it on a working powerhead. with the accumulation of crankcases i have an example to show my neighbor before he welds it. i'll post some of his work later. he builds dragsters. i'll take you up on the suggestion for help. this website helped me with fc52 and i couldn't do it without all of you!

thanks.

frank

John (Taylor) Gabrowski
05-23-2008, 01:25 PM
Frank:

Glad to help out. Out of the 7 Quincy Flatheads and one each of Quincy / Merc padded block D and F Alky Deflectors I had you pick up a wealth of information on them and their evolution while doing their restorations. I see you also have the Merc CD ignitions for them too which is great. I also used Mercury "Red" P4Ds magnetos on them when each was restored / rebuilt to start and tune them before I went and installed the CD systems just for simplicity sakes. When you hear them running there is nothing like them, just nothing! LOL! Most people find them frightening and some offensive beyond belief but they are what they are, unique racing engines. :)

fbref5269
05-23-2008, 02:58 PM
john and anyone else,

i just removed the bearing and seal from the lower endcap on the b looper from canada. the block inside and out will need a good cleaning. old castor is gooy(tech term). i cleaned the endcap with indistrial purple and it works great!!!! now for the stupid question... the bottom seal in the b endcap .... lips facing in or out? it looks like they were facing in, is that right?

frank

John (Taylor) Gabrowski
05-23-2008, 03:10 PM
The seal collar tightening spring that surrounds the seal collar is always inside the crankcase. If it was reversed the spring would be exposed to mechanical breakage or corrosion otherwise. Similarly the seal acts like a cap and that means it traps pressure under it and helps force the seal material ring against the surface it is meant to seal along with the collar spring doing likewise so there are 2 mechanical forces at work within the seal forcing the seal collar around the rotating shaft. Crankcase pressure and the seal's own collar spring. :)

John (Taylor) Gabrowski
05-23-2008, 04:00 PM
The nice thing about working on manuscripts on one secure notebook and keeping an eye on favorite websites Internet with another computer, situations arise like news and board questions where it gives me a chance to relax a bit and take a change in pace and interest. Its very refreshing to me and I hope helpful to some one else. Once I do 8 to 12 hours of keyboard pounding I head for the garage and do some googleye myself on the Anzanis and Harrisons with what your doing on your new Quincy Flatheads as some serious R & R! :)

frank: If you want to see some weird bearings, bushings and no seals on top and they run have a look at the British Anzani thread.

fbref5269
05-23-2008, 04:24 PM
john,

thanks. pressedd the new one in. got the b all apart will clean tomorrow.

frank

fbref5269
05-23-2008, 06:09 PM
hi all,

up for discussion.... carbs... carter n's or tiletson. ka19 i think. there's a picture of one in my trunk on the white crankcase. the tops are in the box.

frank

John (Taylor) Gabrowski
05-23-2008, 08:44 PM
Carter Model N carbs converted to methanol operation are considered to be the best carb Alky deflector Quincy / Mercs and Quincy Flatheads ever had by most racers who used them. Problem is when they became un-available the best alternative was the Tillotson KA (Merc) series carb revamped and re-jetted for using methanol.

Examining Carter Model Ns under prolonged methanol use shows just how bad methanol and especially methanol spiked with Nitro corrodes them. The grade of aluminum alloy in Carters is different from Tillotsons too which impacts on how the methanol mix corrodes either one. It seems that the Tillotson's aluminum is somewhat more corrosion resistent but they do corrode too.

Both Tillotson and Carter makes are not too difficult to convert from gasoline versions to methanol use versions if your so inclined and don't have 2 left hands to deal with a little mechanical skill. Still, Carter Model Ns would be my first pick and second would be Tillotson KA (Merc) carbs. I have never seen anyone use Tillotson "KC" series of Merc carbs on these Alkys but that does not mean that some one did not do just that too and maybe some other reader has info on them being used.

Dave_E71
05-24-2008, 09:39 AM
hi all,

......you can get a lot of stuff in a c5 vette. and got 30mph to boot. thats better than a diesel pickup. right davie:).....

frank

In a moment of sobriety I caught that comment, what you didn't ask here in public is if we could use said diesel pickup to bring a certain ratty Sidson to my garage/boat shop for it's Joan Rivers procedure AND I'm sure we're all waiting for reports on how well the vette does towing the trailer loaded with 3 boats and a buttload of engines..... :p wanna race?

Dave

John (Taylor) Gabrowski
05-24-2008, 02:05 PM
That Vette is probably acting like some 18 wheeler! It takes more fuel but there is no stopping it no matter what its towing. Back in the mid 1980s I moved back east here from Calgary and the 4 boat 4 engine trailer was all that was left to go get and bring. A former neighbour offered to sell me his old Lada (Russian Fiat 1.5 liter 4 spd.) 4 door as a joke for $250.00 as it had a heavy duty hitch on it and I laughed at him but he was not joking! I drove that little swine all of the 900 miles east towing the loaded raceboat trailer with all the windows down and the heater on hot and on blower full speed on in 85 degree weather to assist the rad cooling. Averaged 55 miles per hour at maybe 12 miles to the gallon taking 22 liesurely hours to make the trip. Boy did I get looks and even safety spot checked once by the RCMP. At the end of it all it blew a timing chain about a month later, towed it to a wrecker and got $200.00 for it as scrap metal it was schredded into. :)

Gene East
06-09-2008, 07:13 PM
Got a call from Frank today about the "B" he is restoring. We ultimately ended up talking about the 4 banger he found that Paul has identified as once belonging to Walter Courtois.

Now there was a real character! I was once asked to describe Walter in 10 words or less. The only thing I could think of was, "Refined Red Neck"

Walter had an air of confidence about him that some people thought was arrogance. Not so! Walter simply possessed that thing we call "IT". What ever "IT"is.

We all know to be a winner, you've got to have "IT"!

Not only was Walter a top notch runabout driver, he also was a pretty good hand with a wrench.

Walter was a brick layer by trade, but made a name for himself making tower housings and other parts in his basement.

He was one of the funniest guys I ever knew. Always had a new joke to tell, most of them we can't print here, but funny none the less.

Walter died far too young and those of us who knew him remember him well.

Frank, you're amassing quite a collection and we all enjoy seeing the beautiful restorations you have done.

Keep posting the pix.

fbref5269
06-17-2008, 10:46 AM
hi all,

xf-34 has gone under the wrench. it looked like the exterior will only need a good cleaning and polishing. the inside is always a question mark until you go in. well it was a pleasent surprise to find that the engine was well kept and well lubed. sure is better then dry and full of dirt! the rings are stuck from old castor but that's it, not broked or damaged. from the pictures you can see the old castor on the pistons. i'll clean them up and if they are still a little stuck they go on the barbie and i'll heat them up and melt the castor. all the bearings will be replaced.

as for cleaning..... i've arrached some pictures of the intermediate section. i started cleaning cyl 4(the left side as you look at the picture) with industrial purple from zep. got it at home depot. you can see the difference after only amybe 5 minutes scrubbing with a brass brush. that stuff works great. just don't let it stay on the aluminum too long, will turn it black.

enjoy the pictures. hope to have this ready for a fall meet at mays landing, nj.

frank