PDA

View Full Version : Deflector Quincy...

Ron Hill
03-23-2005, 08:20 PM
Ron;
O.K. I got on the site but I don't know how to send pictures so I'll let you
do it. Then I'll just post my message about David Woods.

Here are two motors; One Quincy with a break down of the intake mod, and one
Hubbell with a breakdown of the extra reeds. I wanted tp post the pictures
and get some responses or background. I am also sending you a picture I call
the mystery mod which might have been an early attempt to do what the
Hubbell extra reeds did. I asked around the Swamp Pit to see if anybody had
seen something like this with no response. Mike Petty was going to put it to
the Quincy legacy but apparently they did't recognize anything. So as I
said, maybe it was a Hubbell thing. All this stuff came from California
which is the Hubbell home area, I believe.

Regards,
Gary Schrickel

I only put the Quincy Deflector pictures, when you get the hang of posting....put the Hubbell pictures....in the Forum of Outboard History....

LamokaLake
03-24-2005, 06:09 PM
This particular motor has some interesting features that are not very clear in the pictures so I'll explain them. On the crankcase two extra 1/2 inch holes were drilled thru the back side of the crankcase into the reed block. These would allow clean air directly into the reed block bypassing the carb. I found these epoxied closed so perhaps the idea didn't turn out favorably. They came into the reed block before the reeds so this eliminated the need for any reeds on those openings.

On the exhaust port the filler block was epoxied in with a hole drilled into the area around the filler block to allow cooling water to flow around the filler block. Then an overboard exit was drilled out the back side of the exhaust case. There were 4 holes drilled at an angle in the Quincy exhaust cover to also allow water to spray onto the outside of the exhaust pipe.

In the assembled engine picture I show a fuel pump mounted on the crankcase. I have also seen a pressure pump mounted there with a hose running into the top of the Quincy gas tank to pressurize it.

John (Taylor) Gabrowski
01-04-2006, 09:04 AM
This Mercury padded block 3rd port 44 cubic inch Quincy/Merc Delfector (Crossflow) 4 cylinder was taken to as far as such Delflector engines can go with every possible modification done to compete with the Quincy Flatheads of the day.

The engine's combustion chambers are padded to severely increase compression to the 13-1 range. The exhaust side of the combustion chambers are added to, shaped and lowered.

The sparkplugs original 3/8 inch standard sparkplug holes have all been reworked and built up to accept the longer reach to use the colder running Champion L83R and L84R series of sparkplugs common to Flatheads and other Alky engines of the day.

The intake and exhaust porting are huge, squared and raised on the intake and exhaust side to take advantage of the extreme compressions.

This engine has the Quincy 3rd port through the center of the reed block to charge the port configuration to add to the breathing of this version and its bigger a port between cylinders than typically compared with some others.

Was the engine run a lot? You bet as it took overboring to +.030 with a fresh set of Turner 2 ring Alky pistons to get her together after these pictures were taken.

The pictures show a lot of welding to get the engine to where its best power was produced. Who owned this engine before I did and how it performed is still a mystery to be answered someday by others.

John (Taylor) Gabrowski
01-04-2006, 09:07 AM
Enjoy The Second Batch Of Pictures For This Amazing Engine.

Gene East
01-08-2006, 02:48 PM
Hi John,
Thanks for posting these pictures. The padding and 3rd porting looks like some of my work from the good old days. This block appears to have been dunked at 1 time or another judging from the extra welding on #1 & #2 cylinders.
Water doesn't compress very well you know.
Take note of the 1/8" holes drilled between #2 & #3. These are not cooling passages as one might think. They are for stress relief. We had problems with early 44's cracking into the combustion chambers of 2 & 3.
Chris theorized if we drilled a series of small holes between the two cylinders we could eliminate that problem. As usual he was correct.
He was an amazing man!

John (Taylor) Gabrowski
01-13-2006, 08:52 PM
Those answers as to why this or that was done to that block are amazing. I have an earlier 1955 Merc 55H third port engine that is together and runs well that does not have the added welding that 44 has and the sparkplug holes are still 3/8 ths reach for Alky as they were for gas but no different, the compression is murderous.

Maybe someone knows this or who the owners/drivers were of this 55H version 3rd port padded block Quincy / Merc Alky Deflector by look or description? The crankcase shoulder/bracket where the electric start motor would have hung from was broken off and a job was done to pare it all back and smooth it all over and nice as if to make the best of some case break from some collission? It has the typical Mark 55H front case that hung/hangs Carter Model Ns converted for Alky. A typical O'Brien sprayshield would not hang from it because of the missing starter motor bracket. An adapted spray shield could have hung on only from one top bracket and two sides of the bottom some how. Does this description of this what I term these days "the one armed bandit 55H" remind anyone of seeing it or seeing it run years back?

Nice thing about this 55H Alky is that it looks like it has been run frequently and without inner problems other than the broken crankcase bracket, it is in excellent shape though overbored already that started with its converwsion to Alky? As I recall it was .030 overbore and tight piston clearanced when I refreshed it. Some one in the Midwestern area of the USA must have seen this thing cook?