PDA

View Full Version : Hubbell Motors...

Ron Hill
03-23-2005, 08:25 PM
Decided to post
Ron;
O.K. I got on the site but I don't know how to send pictures so I'll let you
do it. Then I'll just post my message about David Woods.

Here are two motors; One Quincy with a break down of the intake mod, and one
Hubbell with a breakdown of the extra reeds. I wanted tp post the pictures
and get some responses or background.

Regards,
Gary Schrickel

these...

LamokaLake
03-24-2005, 06:29 PM
The complexity of the Hubbell reed valve is not too obvious from the outside. The plate has two very important features to make it work with reliability. First there is a pin that the reed butts up against like in the typical reed block on the Merc. This pin only sticks up about .008 of an inch because the clamping piece would run into it and prevent the reed from being clamped tightly. This is hard to see on the outside because the outside is ball peened and then sanded smooth with the outside surface.

Next to this pin is a smaller pin to lock the reed from coming out. The reed (not shown) is simply a cut down Merc reed but it has a hole thru it to align with this pin.

There is also a slot cut on the backside of the plate to prevent debris from collecting and keeping the port open, also similar to the Merc reed blocks.

I have seen these ports both as circles (like this one) and also as ovals.

LamokaLake
03-24-2005, 06:45 PM
This interesting diversion of fual/air to the cylinder intake ports has no explination. I was hoping someone might be able to offer some perspective on the effectiveness of this idea. The inside diameter of the ring in the carb throat is approximately the size of a standard KG7 carb throat so this was not designed to be used with a larger throat diameter KA7A carb. The plate on the intake ports has two reed valves similar to the Hubbell extra reed valve concept but then connected back to the carb. One thing nice about it is that it requires no modification of the engine block or crankcase. It is strickly a bolt on item.