PDA

View Full Version : Posting Pictures

oldalkydriver
03-25-2005, 09:01 PM
I see other people don't seem to have a problem posting pictures. No matter what I try, the picture is TOO large! I just cropped a picture from the early fifties. Before it was 512kb. Limit was 244.1kb. Reduced pic to 209kb. Try to post it now says that the limit is 19kb. Just like boat racing, "Can't WIN!"

Jeff Lytle
03-25-2005, 09:16 PM
Send it to me and I'll give it a try.

Mark75H
03-26-2005, 11:53 AM
I checked the settings. Only bmp's, jpe, png and psd files had a 19k size limit. The bmp size should have been set larger. I think most web browsers will open bmp's and jpe's, but I'm not sure any will open png's or psd's.

I have increased the bmp file size allowed to 250k

JPG's and JPEG's are and have been allowed up to 250k, 1300 X 1300 pixels

If anyone has trouble getting their images sized they can always email them to me to resize or post.

As things are set now we are allowing much larger images than screamandfly and hydroracer. Allowing bigger images will compromise our abiltiy to backup the whole database.

Email oversized or problem images to me at Mark75H@aol.com

Jeff Lytle
03-26-2005, 12:02 PM
In Jpeg format, they work fine.

oldalkydriver
03-26-2005, 04:14 PM
Many Thanks Jeff!

The top picture was taken at Long Beach, California around 1953 or 54. 'C' Racing Hydro. Top wake was believed to be Dave Redden out of San Diego. First alky start as Dave used to run 'C' Stock Hydro. Guess he didn't realize the speed and acceleration compared to stock, causing a way EARLY start. Not to be out done, C-6, Russ Hill Jr. wasn't going to let him get away with it! Legal starters in picture are C-252, Bob Jackson Jr., C-45, Tommy Ingalls, a perennial winner in Southern California in the early '50's; C-134, Leonard Gates, C-294, Henry Wagner.

The bottom picture was also at Long Beach (As that was where a majority of our races were held). Start of 'F' Racing Runabouts. C-146, Ellis Estabrook, C-208, Doc Simms (One of Curly Owens first builds), D 98 C, unknown step-up, hidden boat is another Curly Owens built, C-174, John Toprahanian (Jackson & Toprahanian built) C-54, Walt Gillo (I believe this was the first boat of its kind in California, before adding cloth decking) C-210, Curly Owens.

Ron Hill
03-26-2005, 08:36 PM
D-98-C looks like Everett Baggs from Dana Point, ...check that, Everett was 308-C, maybe Kenny Wilson...No, I've got it, Jack Lowheed, from Santa Ana, I remember the race now!!........but move these pictures to Outboard History...once you get the hang of posting pictures...

Junior Hill jumping the gun???

Mark75H
03-26-2005, 08:51 PM
I moved the whole thread ;)

Mark75H
03-26-2005, 09:46 PM
I'm sure there are a lot of people having trouble uploading pictures and a help thread using the sticky feature somewhere would probably be a good idea. I don't know where the best place to keep a sticky thread on forum/picture help would be. One place is the other topics forum .... I know we are sort of full of forums, but picture help will always be important. How about its own forum in "Other Topics" ... something like "Help adding pictures to your post" ?

As such it always stays on top to be seen without being an anoying sticky forever somewhere else. Hopefully it would be seen by people even before they signed up and they would know exactly where to look and ask for help if they needed it. Just a suggestion -Sam

Jeff Lytle
03-26-2005, 09:50 PM
A good suggestion too..........Not that I mind helping you all out when you need it.
Sam, Ron and I are just a click away.

Here's a little explaination from the FAQ's section on the nav. bar:

The administrator may allow you to use the attachment feature of this forum, which gives you the ability to attach files of certain types to your posts. This could be an image, a text document, a zip file etc. There will be a limit to the file size of any attachments you make, as the forums should not be used as an extension of your hard disk!

To attach a file to a new post, simply click the [Browse] button at the bottom of the post composition page, and locate the file that you want to attach from your local hard drive.

Only certain types of files may be attached: these are the valid file extensions for files to be attached to this forum: bmp doc gif jpe jpeg jpg mov pdf png psd rm rtf txt wav wmv zip.

After posting, the attachment will show up in the body of your message. To view the contents of the attachment (if it is not already displayed) simply click the filename link that appears next to the attachment icon .

Mark75H
03-28-2005, 04:26 PM
For newcomers here is a primer:

Mark75H
03-28-2005, 04:28 PM
Next section

John Howe
03-28-2005, 05:39 PM
Posting test....,again!

John Howe
03-28-2005, 05:41 PM
:D ! :D ! :D !

Jeff, YOU DA MAN!!!

John Howe
03-28-2005, 05:50 PM
I MEAN MARK, IS DA MAN!!! Jeff is "da man" too, but right now..., Mark....ahhh screw it, I`m just gonna go post pics! :D

oldalkydriver
03-28-2005, 11:34 PM
John Toprahanian ran 'F' Racing Runabouts since the late forties. His racing career as a driver was short lived due to a heart attack around '54 or '55. I can only remember back as far as 1950 and that is the year he and my father (Bob Jackson) built the first C-174 in our back yard. A box by todays standards. First picture is their boat at start of Long Beach around '53. The first C-174 was replaced with a boat built by Curly Owens (C-210), but in this picture was hidden on the inside of C-174.

oldalkydriver
03-28-2005, 11:49 PM
John only was able to drive the new C-174 for less then a season before he had his heart attack. This picture is also at Long Beach (as we had more races there then anywhere else). John was driving with Warren Painter along for one of his only deck riding experiences. C-172 is Bob Jackson driving with one of the owners Bob Cockburn riding deck. The story is my dad was trying to show him how to drive a runabout. Difference of opinion here as I don't think my dad learned to drive a runabout until his las few years racing!

oldalkydriver
03-28-2005, 11:58 PM
This picture was also Long Beach, and is a little special to me because it has the builder of both boats, Curly Owens C-210 and John Toprahanian. Curly used to joke around with me when I was a toddler.

oldalkydriver
03-29-2005, 12:17 AM
Some good and GREAT drivers in this picture. Most all have passed on. C-172, Bob and Alex Cockburn. Alex was a musician. I believed he played the trumpet. C-153, Chuck Parsons. Hailing from Lodi, California Chuck had a tire business. Seems every time he came to Long Beach, he would get thrown from or dump his 'F' Hydro. Don't remember what make hydro it was, only the name: Short Snorter! In my early years say 9-12 I use to really admire him. Not because he used to beat my dad most of the time, but because he was a rather small gentleman who was all heart. In those days, when someone went over in 'F' Hydro, all the drivers used to circle the downed driver and make sure he was okay. They seem to forget about what place they were holding before the flip. C-1002, Ralph Holmes. Ralph was a contractor whom lived in Phoenix, Arizona. I asked him once why he didn't have a deck rider and he replied, "If I'm going to have dead weight, I want the type that didn't talk back." Went right over my 11 year old head! Ralph was killed in a plane crash sometime in 1957. What a waste of life. C-174, Bob & Fred Jackson. We lived in San Diego, California. Both my dad and his brother (8 years senior) worked for the then Solar Aircraft. Fred ran inboards mainly 48 cubic inch. Crosley as I remember. My father used to take out his aggression on his brother whenever he could talk him into riding deck. C-103, Bill Combs. I didn't know him that well. Don't know what he did for a living or where he lived.

oldalkydriver
03-29-2005, 12:28 AM
This picture was taken around '57. C-54 is Walt Gillo, I believe from somewhere around San Leandro, California. Walt was a big, muscluar and mean looking gentleman. When I first saw him, I thought he was straight out of the Al Capone Movies. He was just mean looking. For you younger people, our Al Capone would be like your Sapranos! However, Walt owned a flower shop, and he made arrangements. He used to bring a few for some of the wives at the races. Guess it got their husbands out of the dog house. Walt is driving what I think was a Phantom Boat. This was before he changed the wood deck to cloth.

As I mentioned earlier, I think this is one of those times my father was upset with Uncle Fred.

driver-x
07-13-2006, 01:03 AM
Chuck Marvick here,

Son of Bob Marvick C-31 F racing runabout late 40’s, 50’s and early 60’s. I have recently taken possession of 100 or more vintage racing photos and hope to post them over the next few weeks. I am traveling to Thailand to visit my father for the first time in years and hope to get some stories to add to the photos. I have many fond childhood memories of the people and places my father raced with during that time and look forward to sharing my find with you all. I will attach a test photo of my father and I believe his deck rider Jim Schonfeldt late 50’s not sure where yet but I do recognize the patch on the side of the boat that was done not too much before the boat was destroyed in a wild wreck with George May which I believe was in San Diego, I think I may even have an 8mm movie of the crash.

driver-x
07-13-2006, 01:50 AM
Hey Micheal,

I think I have pictures of the construction of C-210 taken in Curly's driveway I also have a color photo of C-174 and many more....

Ron Hill
07-13-2006, 08:45 AM
Start posting in the Encyclopedia Forumn, you have some great stories and pictures, we need them in the Encyclopedia...

I think I saw the 8 mm film of your dad's crash with George May...Havasu Springs, AZ....1963 or 1962.

driver-x
07-13-2006, 09:55 AM
Hey Ron,

Where in the encyclopedia forum do want the photos posted? Should we file them by:
Year
Location/Event
Class

Perhaps an outboard history photo library.

I will try to get my hands on the movie clip, I'm sure it will be a challenge to try to convert and upload. I need to find someone that will firstly convert the pile of reals to DVD.

Ron Hill
07-13-2006, 01:00 PM
Keep posting, I can move them, later.

Mark75H
07-13-2006, 02:38 PM
Chuck that is a magnificent photo! What a teaser to make us want more!

oldalkydriver
07-13-2006, 04:11 PM
Wow! Now that is a name I never thought anyone else would post. I really liked your dad, even though I was just a kid. Funny, almost all of the drivers that drove against your dad have past on. And since Toprahanian passed, it is difficult for me to find some of the remaining people. Unfortunately, I don't have too many pictures. My dad threw most away and when John passed, his nephew promised me all of the slides and pictures to make copies. Naturally, that also fell threw. I thought there was a good chance your dad was gone too. If I would have known that he was in Thailand, I would have made arragements to visit. I go to the Philippines two or three times a year. I don't think he would remember me, but when you see him say 'hello' for me.

Love to help you post or burn pics to cd for your dad, think he would get a kick out of it. Especially interested in the Curly Owens pics.

All you need to do is go to the internet and find a free photo resizer, and reduce the size and they'll come out great.

Good luck and keep up the posting.

driver-x
07-13-2006, 04:24 PM
Michael,

At the moment I'm not having any trouble with the photo loading thing. Not sure about the video though. Did you get my note about sending me the higher res. files of the 57 F nationals. Here is another teaser do you know the two standing with Johnny T. ( have just finished reworking this 2x3 photo that was realy bad and had color shifted I hope I got the colors right) I can send you the larger jpeg file if you want it.

Master Oil Racing Team
07-13-2006, 07:19 PM
You did fine on the colors. It's great what you can do with a computer to salvage otherwise "lost to time" photos. If you could reduce them a little so we could see the whole photo at once, I think would have great impact. Looking forward to the rest of them and more stories.

driver-x
07-13-2006, 07:27 PM
Hello Wayne,

Thanks I hope you like the photos. I had to repaint the whole boat in photo shop. I think that the 1300 pixels is too wide I'm going to attach the same photo at 900 pixels wide

driver-x
07-13-2006, 07:32 PM
Sorry lets try this one.

driver-x
07-13-2006, 07:37 PM
Looks like 900 pixels wide is the ticket. Any ieas about the two men standing with Johnny T.

oldalkydriver
07-13-2006, 08:17 PM
The two men with John T are; my dad, Bob Jackson Jr. (middle) and Lenoard Collins (Collie) the deck rider. Collie was from Watsonville, California. He passed many years before John, my dad passed in November 2003. One day short of six months after my moms death.

This picture was taken in Balboa Park around Sixth and Juniper Streets, in what is left of San Diego.

Would love it if you could email me a jpeg or whatever format you choose.

Thanks...Mike

Ole "A" Runabout
07-20-2006, 03:56 PM
I've been following the interesting posts on "F" racing boats in So Calif. by Michael and now Chuck Marvick.Then Ron says he may have film of the George May accident with Bob Marvick's boat in AZ. in the earlier 60's. Sometimes when I was not racing my Stock Outboard my good senses would leave me and I would ride deck on the "F"'s with George or other drivers against Michael's dad. I was riding deck of John T.'s boat that day when we collided with C-31. I must say I had a very good view of what happened. As for what happened, people may think George was at fault because people he drove a little on the wild side, but in my opinion he was not. As a little momento of that afternoon I took home a piece of both boats. To this day in my garage I have a piece of the side of C-31. The piece I have has... C- plus part of the number 3 on it. George May is well and living in San Diego CA and I'm up the coast towards LA.. We stay in touch and of course he still says all bad starts, flips, etc.were my fault. It was a lot of fun, thanks for bring back those memories. I do have a few other "F" runabout stories.
Ole "A" Runabout

Ole "A" Runabout
07-25-2006, 01:37 PM
Whoops...made a mistake in my recent post regarding the collision between Marvick's C-31 and George May driving John T's "F". I wrote that Ron had film when I should have said Chuck Marvick had this film. Sorry.
Ole "A" Runabout

Ron Hill
07-25-2006, 09:35 PM
Last week I was talking to Jimbo, I told him I had talked to Chuck Marvick on the way to Needles...

We started talking about the accident at Havasu Springs...It was that Jimbo told me he was riding with Bob Marvick at the time and that loyd Osmondson (Ole "A" Runabout) had been with George... All these years, about 44 to be close to exact, I never knew those facts. I remember in my mind's eye the accident, one that I NEVER blamed anyone...

Seems that George was making a run for the start, Marvick was early and slow, when Marvick got on the power he broached left, right into George's path. Seemed, George tried hard to turn right to miss Marvick's slower moving boat and they came together...

Jimbo started riding for George after this....Sometime Ted may would ride...They called them the may Boys, but were not related...Jimbo did say it was wierd getting in his own boat right after Bob was paralized....Jimbo was unhurt...