PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some advice

scott5sp11
08-24-2008, 08:24 PM
Hi Folks, Former unlimited hydro driver Scotty Pierce here. I just bought a 1989 Marlin 21' kinda go fast boat. I believe the boat was built in Seattle, although it looks a lot like the boats from my youth on the Colorado river. The boat is powered with a Mercruiser 888 with a Alpha drive from the 80's. The engine is a 350 Chevy. The owner tells me the boat goes real bow high going on plane. He installed a Sting Ray on the drive, and said it helped. I hate Sting Ray's, it seems to be crutch for a problem elsewhere, mostly under powered boats. This boat is not under powered. While I haven't measured the bottom angle yet, it looks to my naked eye to be around 15 degrees. I believe this stock drive has the propeller to far below the bottom, and I am thinking a Speedmaster lower unit might improve the performance. So my question is, am I on the bus, or not? If I am where can I find a lower unit? Thanks, Scotty Pierce 206 949-1695

benski
08-25-2008, 01:29 AM
THE Scotty Pierce? As in 1991's Seafair winner? Welcome!
I'm sure some of our vendors or readers will have something suitable in the classifieds for you. That is the limit of my expertise right now, but you're in good hands.

scott5sp11
08-25-2008, 07:30 PM
Hi Benski, Yes it's me. Thanks for the reply. Take care, Scotty

F-12
08-25-2008, 07:49 PM
Watched you race and am a big fan...............You might want to ask Ron Hill about these units. He is always running into things like this and I think he would be happ to know you are on his site. Good luck and I'm looking forward to some good stories from your racing career................

scott5sp11
08-25-2008, 08:50 PM
Thanks Charlie, I could tell some stories, the problem is everyone would think they are BS, and the fact is they are all true, LOL If Ron could help me that would be great! I am thinking a high five prop might let me rid of the hated sting ray. The boat is actually pretty cool. I will post a picture soon. Another unlimited driver, Nate Brown actually put this boat together, and Nate did is usual great job. Back to the stories, my buddy Mark Evan's is threatining all of us that he is writing a book. I have told Mark to leave me out of the book, and he told me, Scotty, you are the main attraction, after Mark, of course. I will kill him, slowly. Take care, Scotty

J-Dub
08-25-2008, 09:52 PM
Scott,

In my experiences with N. Mark Evans, I believe that scewball have a picture book...

J-Dub

scott5sp11
08-25-2008, 11:22 PM
Hey J Dub, Are you implying our buddy can't write? You know you might be right. I called Mark tonight to let him know about this forum, I think it is pretty cool. Love the K boat and Cracker Box stuff. Maybe some of us unlimited drivers can have some fun here, without attracting a lot of attention. Take care, Scotty

J-Dub
08-25-2008, 11:48 PM
A little of that maybe… But how many other nut-jobs carry a camera in their race boat at any speed? He has said for many years he was going to write a book. Maybe we could get him to post some of his picture on this site. I have seen a few, they are cool! I am sure he has pictures of you from inside his boat.
I remember when I was working for the Bud team and he was driving while Chip was injured, I couldn't figure out what the pouch was zip tied to the steering wheel. Mark informed me it was his camera bag!
Hence the picture book.

Master Oil Racing Team
08-26-2008, 11:45 AM
BRF is the place for stories and pictures. If you're afraid of the statute of limitations, just claim they ARE bs.;):D We would like to hear them. If you are concerned about some pictures, just paste a black strip across the eyes. If the stories aren't told, what good are they to remember? LOL

F-12
08-26-2008, 03:51 PM
Scotty......Don't be concerned about attracting too much attention here. You will be in the company of some of the greatest racing personalities you could ever hope to find. There is history dating back to just before it was light (right, Russ) There are so many stories about our sport that it will take you months to get through them all. With you coming on board, I KNOW there are some great stories to come from you (at least one good one that I know of) Ron and Ted have put this together so every part of boat racing has some place to go and share the good times and bad with people they may have seen once a long time ago but will never forget. Have fun and enjoy...........you won't regret the time you spend here.

PS.........Check out the threads about the World Championships down in FL this coming October. Might be worth a trip.

scott5sp11
08-26-2008, 08:09 PM
Well it is true J Dub's and my buddy Mark Evans alway's took a camera with him in the boat. The first time he whipped it out after a heat, on the cool down lap I let him know he is # 1 with me. You will not see a picture Evan's has of me that does not affirm he is # 1. He is a kook, and he also is one of the best friends I have. One more good Evan's story. We were racing in Detroit in 2001, at the Gold Cup. It was the first time I had been back in a unlimited since a very bad accident,in 1997 at Detroit. I guess I forgot I retired. Anyway a nameless referee got on my case to start a heat on the outside, due to the time I had been out of the boat. I informed this guy I had more laps around Detroit than most people, and I really didn't need his help. Well the guy just went off on me, and it really pissed me off! Mark came by my pit a few minutes later, and I told him what had happened. Mark's face got real red, and he ran off. About an hour later he comes back by and tells me the referee won't be a problem any longer. I said " Evan's what did you do ? " He said he met the guy behind the restroom's and no one was around. He grabbed the guy by the neck and put him on the wall, and informed him he did not appreciate how he talked to his friend, Me. Well needless to say I never had another problem with the guy, he steered a wide berth around me, and I started the race where I wanted to. I told Mark I was a big boy, and I could handle my own issues. Mark didn't care, he would not stand by and let a friend get treated poorly. Now that is a kook, but also shows what a great friend he truly is. Take care, Scotty

whaledog
08-26-2008, 08:36 PM
Check for hook in bottom strakes and pads.most manufactures put hook in the back of the boat to help get on a plane.if it is filled in removed it is a faster bottom.when removed the boat will stand on end to climb over the bubble pushed up by the boat.my boat similar pulling skier up at ski racing long lines big skis and skiers.

scott5sp11
08-26-2008, 08:41 PM
Thanks, I will take a look. Scotty

Ron Hill
08-26-2008, 09:15 PM
Hey Scott, WELCOME to BRF......Just start telling us stories and post pictures...

For your boat, a 17 pitch five blade will "BLOW YOUR DRESS UP"....So to speak...Those Whale Tail Sting Ray things are for toilet seats...

You just need a smaller prop...

I got an old Speedmaster here...won't bolt up to your drive and I need $3,500 for it...

scott5sp11
08-26-2008, 09:23 PM
Thanks for the advice Ron. Will a High Five prop work OK, or do you have something better? Thanks, Scotty

geodavid
08-28-2008, 08:51 AM
Hey Scott,
Am finding a few on here that were friends with my Dad, George. Have to ask you if your father is Laird Pierce from Plastic and Rubber? I believe he invented the "O" ring?
Alan Ishii
Los Angeles, CA

scott5sp11
08-28-2008, 06:13 PM
Hi Alan, Yes, my father was Laird Pierce. He died in 1972, at the age of 41. He was a National Champion in the 266 class, twice with Miss Parco. My father drove in the 1964 win, and Wayne Thompson was the driver in 1966. My father did not invent the o-ring, I wish he did though, LOL. My two granfathers were best friends, and they devolped and built rubber presse's that were able to build a 100,000 o-rings per shift, and that did put o-rings on the map for the masses. The company was and is Plastic and Rubber Products, CO. hence the Parco. Miss Parco was the name of my fathers 266, and that was the first boat I drove on competition, in the Los Angeles area, with region 12. My father's unlimiteds were Dixi Cola, in 1965, and Parco's O-Ring Miss from 1967 through 1970. My father never won an unlimited race, I was extremly proud to put the Pierce name on quite a few unlimited wins, and a World Championship. Too bad he was not here to see it. he would have been over the moon. Take care, Scotty Pierce

geodavid
08-29-2008, 07:37 AM
Scotty,
Thanks for the account and history of the "O" ring. Your family certainly were innovators in the advancement of hydraulics. We would not have power trim if not for the "O" ring. I hate to date myself, but I remember very well going to your plant on Slauson and my Dad telling me what a great guy your Dad was. We have a machine shop in Los Angeles. You would fuse rubbed seals on some of the parts we were making. We were a little sad when you moved from that Slauson plant. You know, sometimes I drive by there and always think of your Dad and mine when I do. I am very sorry to hear that you lost him so early. I would guess that when your Dad passed away was about the time some of his employees started Royal Seals? My Dad died in 1974. We sure remember Parco O Ring Miss. We ALWAYS rooted for you and your Dad. Great to see you on here. Although we are from different types of boat racing, we are all fraternity brothers here thanks to our old friend, Ron.