PDA

View Full Version : What's New at QuincyLooperRacing.us

Original Looper 1
08-27-2008, 05:32 PM
Hi Everyone,

Just checking in. Finally got back to loading more photos and items to the www.QuincyLooperRacing.us web site and wanted to share what's new with the Quincy site fans.

First off, one of my engine collecting friends scored a monumental engine -- the 1st Rossi 3 cylinder B prototype engine. It was Rossi's personal motor that he brought to Cypress Gardens to race in 1997. He won the World Championship at Cypress Gardens and also the European World Championship with that engine. You can see the engine and read all about it's history under the "Collections" section, Mark Suter page #2 (http://www.QuincyLooperRacing.us/subpage40.html).

We've also added more photos to the Wayne Baldwin biography in the Racing Legends section (thanks Wayne!) from his 1966 season. Photos include his new DeSilva and brand new Konig engines (both A and B) (http://www.QuincyLooperRacing.us/subpage42.html).

we've also put up some photos on Dickie Pond from Karen Cadle (thanks Karen)(http://www.QuincyLooperRacing.us/subpage31.html).

To finish out the most recent additions, we've added the Mike Krier championship winning Yamato 250 and 350 engines to the Mark Suter collection page #2. Mike was kind enough to hand write pages on each engine for Mark and Mark shared those with all of us. Mike Krier did some significant development work in the progress of the 350 Yamato.

Please enjoy all of the additions!

Thanks,

Paul A Christner

mac19f
08-28-2008, 07:13 AM
I was there at Cypress Gardens World Championships. No one expected what we we about to see. This was the first time Roosi had run his new engine here. He didn't just win, he crushed the competition. He lapped all but one or two other boats. He won by so large a margin that they had his boat out of the water and he was taking off his a safety gear when the next boat made it in.

All the other drivers and teams came running into his pit area, hollering in about six different languages to see what this thing was that beat them so badly. Fortunately he asked them all to speak in English as the most common language. He calmly explained that he and his two partners built the engine for themselves. Immediately everyone started asking if he would build them one. He said "Sure, why not?" How much? ~16,000 lira. He got orders on the spot.

J-Dub
08-28-2008, 07:54 AM
Great photo's! Their are a couple of familiar helpers in the Rossi photo's...

J-Dub

Mark75H
08-28-2008, 08:43 AM
Added links to Paul's original post :)

Original Looper 1
11-24-2008, 04:39 PM
Attention: 76 photos from the November 2008 AOMCI meet at Lake
Shipp, FL are now up at the www.QuincyLooperRacing.us web site. Just click on the 'Collections' button at the top of the page, then scroll down to the 2008 AOMCI Lake Shipp meet link. If you attended and want copies of any of the photos, you can contact me via my email address at QuincyWelding@aol.com. Please enjoy the photos and thanks to all the boating enthusiasts who contributed.

There's also almost 40 new photos from the Mark Suter fall 2008 AOMCI meet at his place in Michigan. You can also find the link to this page under the 'Collections' tab. A special thanks to Mark's daughters for taking such wonderfully detailed pictures and to Mark & Elaine for forwarding them to us.

Hey Karen - thanks for the wonderful thoughts. For sure, later, PM you when.
:D

thanks,

Paul A Christner

ps: The photos on the QuincyLooperRacing.us web site are for your enjoyment and are not to be copied or posted to any other web site or publication without my written permission.

John (Taylor) Gabrowski
11-27-2008, 09:51 AM
Everytime I see huge collections like that in one place I cringe! There are hurricanes, flloods and torandos so any thoughts given to housing the stuff in some kind of weather proof bunkers built high and dry into the side of some hill an atomic blast could not level? All it takes is one good hurricane or tornado and people would be looking and finding engines in orange groves etc. for years afterward.

Original Looper 1
11-30-2008, 11:16 AM
Here's a sample of what's new on the Quincy site.

Paul A Christner

ps: These photos are for your enjoyment and are not to be copied or posted to any other web site without my written permission.

Original Looper 1
12-23-2008, 12:32 PM
Hi Everyone,

We just added Tom Berry to the Racing Legends page at the QuincyLooperRacing.US web site. Tom sent us some really nice racing photos from the 1970's for his page. Although there were boat racers that had longer racing careers than Tom, his has always been memorable to me as one of the most high spirited that I can recall.

John Schubert also sent us some new additions for his Collections page, including photos of his restored Sid-Craft hydro and a Mark 75H clone. John's restorations are not only truly authentic, they are also first class.

Thanks guys for the contributions.

Keep watching as we have a couple of other new race legends going up soon and some more collections & racing photos.

My wife and I want to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and for those of you that have other beliefs, we wish you all a merry politically correct holiday. In closing, the special holiday treat photos here are of Dick Ollhoff's latest assembly of a "brand new" Quincy Looper C 500 cc Alky made up of all NOS, original parts. Isn't it beautiful? I wouldn't mind if Santa put one of those in my stocking this year.

Merry Christmas,

Paul A Christner

Master Oil Racing Team
12-23-2008, 09:09 PM
.....to you and Diane, Paul. I'm glad you got Tom and John's stuff in the Quincy collection. Dick Ollhoff's motors are a great tribute. I think you will be getting some additional historical photos coming up in 2009. (I know of some already). And I look forward to the additional race legends that will be added to your wonderful site.

fbref5269
12-24-2008, 07:28 AM
paul and dane,

wishing you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! Thank you for the looper website so we can post our loopers and z's. the site is a great place to post and view truely remarkable engines that were ahead of their times.

to all those who view the looper postings, wishing you a very Mery Christmas and a Happy New Year! i will be posting more in 2009.

frank novotny
collector of old things that were new when i raced

Original Looper 1
01-01-2009, 03:38 PM
Happy New Year to everyone here at BRF!

Santa brought us a very nice present this year - Tom Berry, who raced (very successfully) in the 1960's and 1970's, sent us a CD full of old racing photos from his personal album. There's well over 200 photos for us to post to the QuincyLooperRacing.US web site.

We just added 25 photos today from 1969/Creve Cour, 1970/Riverfront Park, 1971 Swope Park plus a few more including the 3 you see below.

In the future, as time permits, we will add as many of the photos as we can to the Looper site.

You can see the rest of the pictures at:
www.QuincyLooperRacing.us

Click on the link for Racing Legends, then on Tom Berry.

Enjoy!!

Paul A. Christner

Please note: The photos are for your enjoyment and are not to be copied or posted to any other web site without the author's permission.

Master Oil Racing Team
01-01-2009, 07:22 PM
....you are missing out on some great history and some fantastic restorations. You can spend hours not only reading the history and seeing some great photos, but there are a lot of historical records to be looked at. Thanks for the work you and Diane are putting in Paul.

Aeroliner
01-03-2009, 04:55 PM
I have started to inventory the piston rings I bought from Harry Brinkman and there is a ton of them. My guess is more than 5000 right now. An intresting package I found today had a set of sample "C" looper "L" rings that range from .010 to .060 oversize. The note on the package said they were from Quincy Welding to Jack Kugler to Harry. I also found all the tooling to make the "L" rings. Some day I might restart the making of these rings if people are intrested in that I have lots of blanks.

Alan

Original Looper 1
03-24-2009, 07:12 PM
Hi Everyone,

We've been loading lots of photos over at the www.QuincyLooperRacing.us web site - photos include contributions by Alan Ishii for his Race Legends page, photos of races from the 1960's and 1970's from Wayne Baldwin posted under the Races tab (Random Race Photos), there are new outboard collections from Bob Rusnak (great Looper photos) and Joe Garrick and last but not least, pictures by Bob Dunlap from the February 2009 AOMCI meet at Tiger Lake, FL.

The photo here is from Bob Rusnak. He's running a Quincy B Looper.

Thanks to Bob R, Alan, Wayne, Bob D and everyone that's sent us photos lately to add to our online history book of outboard racing. Keep them coming!

Paul A Christner

Original Looper 1
04-12-2009, 05:35 PM
Hi Everyone,

For those fans of the www.QuincyLooperRacing.us web site, we've added some "new" old photos from Pete Nydahl and Wayne Baldwin. Wayne sent us what may be the last letter written by Jerry Waldman to the outboard racing community, just before the Arkansas race event where he lost his life.

We're also working on a large project. A while back Tom Berry sent us a CD full of racing photos of 1969 thru 1976 from his personal photo album. Many have faded over time and we have been working to restore as many as possible to post to the Quincy Looper site. We plan to start posting them this upcoming week (work schedule permitting).

Here's a few from the Tom Berry collection you'll be seeing soon on the Quincy site. One guy sure looks familiar.......

Thanks,

Paul A Christner

(Please note: These photos are for your enjoyment and are not to be copied or posted to any other web site without my written permission.)

Original Looper 1
04-25-2009, 11:33 AM
We've added lots of old, historic newspaper articles at the www.QuincyLooperRacing.us web site under Memorabilia - page 10. The photo below is from a St. Louis Post Dispatch newspaper article about Billy Seebold from 1966. Billy's engine in the picture is a championship winning Quincy D Looper.

We've also posted quite a few other new "old" photos from Artie Neadeck's personal racing photo album at Artie's page under the Collections tab. Artie has a nice collection of restored, vintage race boats & a very sweet Quincy C Looper.

More photos coming soon from the Tom Berry racing photo album.

thanks,

Paul A. Christner

Please note: This photo is for your enjoyment and is not to be copied or posted to any other web site without my written permission.

Original Looper 1
05-24-2009, 10:58 PM
We were busy today, adding 56 more photos over at
www.QuincyLooperRacing.us under the "Racing Legends" section. All of the pictures are from Tom Berry's personal photo album of his racing career. The latest group of photos are from 1975 and 1976 races -- Huntsville, AL -- Ft. Worth, TX -- Wynona, MN -- Lakeland, FL -- San Antonio, TX.

The photos include people such as Wayne Baldwin and his dad, Paul Bogosian, Rex Hall, Bill Van Steenwyk, Tim Chance, Stan & Butch Leavendusky and Wayne Walgrave running his championship winning 6 cyl Looper (see below).

We still have at least 50 more photos to put up from Tom's collection, so stay tuned!

thanks,

Paul A Christner

Please note: The photo below is for your personal enjoyment and is not to be copied or posted to any other web site without my written permission.

Master Oil Racing Team
05-26-2009, 08:48 AM
Karen...nobody can remember everything, but sometimes something someone (three somes in a row....kind of weird that it works.) says will jog a memory. No two people remember everything alike and Joe and I are always feeding off each other when we try to remember a time, place, driver, etc. A little thing so simple as trying to find a shear pin in the mud just flooded back into my memory. Thanks. Often it's just all the little things that brings back fond memories of days gone past.:cool::D

Original Looper 1
08-29-2009, 10:16 AM
Hi Everyone,

We've just loaded over 100 photos from the 2009 races at Constantine and DePue (National Championships) at the www.QuincyLooperRacing.us web site under the EVENTS tab.

We owe a big thanks to Dale Hoffert for sending us his fantastic photos for posting. Dale is a long time race fan that grew up in DePue, IL, and is an appreciated contributor to the boat racing sport.

Dale is in the process of sending us his spring 2009 DePue race photos and we will try to get those added this weekend, time permitting.

Here's a small sample of Dale's photos we've posted.

Enjoy,

Paul A. Christner

Original Looper 1
09-06-2009, 05:51 PM
Hi Everyone,

We've just loaded 25 photos from the 2009 spring race at DePue on the www.QuincyLooperRacing.us web site under the EVENTS tab.

We owe a big thanks to Dale Hoffert for sending us his racing photos for posting. He also included some nice pit shots as well. Dale is a long time race fan that grew up in DePue, IL, and is an appreciated contributor to the boat racing sport.

Here's a small sample of Dale's photos we just posted.

Enjoy,

Paul A. Christner

RogerH
09-15-2009, 06:00 PM
Hello Paul,
I received a request from Tim Kurcz to correct a typo I did when entering my Collection information on your website. I credited my 444 (44 cu.in. 4-carb) motor to "Lee" Kurcz and that should have read TIM Kurcz.
We do have 444 #2 running but won't be able to complete it's tuning until Spring due to travel etc...
Please make the name correction at your convenience.
Regards,
Roger Hinsdale (TN)

Original Looper 1
11-12-2009, 07:02 PM
Mark Suter recently hosted an Antique Outboard meet at his place in Michigan and Mark sent us almost 50 photos, which we've posted under the Collections tab at www.QuincyLooperRacing.us for everyone to view. You'll see the link on the Collections page under 2009 - AOMCI & Suter.

For those of you that don't know, Mark has an extensive collection of antique outboard racing engines as well as antique pleasure engines. Many of Mark's personal collection can be seen at the link by his name when you go to the Collections page on the Quincy site.

Enjoy!

Paul A. Christner

Original Looper 1
11-14-2009, 06:13 PM
We attended the Antique Outboard Motor Club meet at Lake Shipp, FL, yesterday and took 50 photos. Lots of great outboard collections and, since this was a wet meet, some of the boats took to the water and put on quite a show.

Here's a sample of the photos from this event. To see the rest, please go to www.QuincyLooperRacing.us and click on the 'Collections' button. You'll see the 2009 Lake Shipp link at the bottom of the Collections page.

Enjoy.

Paul A Christner

ps: Please note - these photos are for your enjoyment and are not to be copied to posted to other web sites without my written permission.

Original Looper 1
05-23-2010, 01:04 PM
Hi Everyone,

For those of you that are interested, we now have 50 photos from the Tavares, FL boat show loaded to the Tavares 2010 page under Collections at the Quincy Looper web site, www.QuincyLooperRacing.us .

Also under collections, we've added several new additions to the Bob Dunlap collection and under a FL Collection. Under the FL collection, there's a rare motor the owner calls a YamaRude. Check it out.

A good friend emailed us photos taken at the 1980 Pro Nationals. We hope to get those up very soon.

Enjoy.

Paul A Christner

F-12
05-23-2010, 01:18 PM
I seem to remember seeing an engine like this run at DePue some time back. 460 crank and case with Yamaha Cylinders. And from what I remember, it was pretty strong. Thanks Paul for maintaining such a great site. It is where I go to relive the 'good old days'.

racnbns
05-23-2010, 06:18 PM
I seem to remember seeing an engine like this run at DePue some time back. 460 crank and case with Yamaha Cylinders. And from what I remember, it was pretty strong. Thanks Paul for maintaining such a great site. It is where I go to relive the 'good old days'.

Charley

John Toprahanian made the Yamarude's. About 1970 he needed a deck rider at De Pue so I volunteered. Jay Root was the driver. What a ride! Side by side and on the deck in the turns. I think we finished 5th.

Paul

I agree with Charley about the Quincy web. site. Keep up the good work, its always interesting. I have a couple of pics. of the Yamarude I could send you to post. I don't know how to post pics.

Bruce

Original Looper 1
06-04-2010, 01:04 PM
Thanks Bruce and Charlie for the nice comments. To say that I love engines, especially racing engines, is an understatement.

The photos below are of a 4 cylinder, 4 cycle, 2 cc (that's right, 2 cubic centimeters) functioning racing engine. It's barely 2 inches long and is water cooled. It is believed to be one of only ten in the world.

Karen, I feel your passion and enthusiasm. Please keep contributing to this site.

Thanks All,

Paul A Christner

PS: My mother once told me that the day I was born in July, Dad came into the delivery room with the scent of castor oil and methanol still on his work clothes. What more can I say???

Original Looper 1
11-23-2010, 07:01 PM
Hi Everyone,

Just finished posting the photos from 2 recent events in Florida - Roar n Soar & the AOMCI Meet on Lake Shipp at Winterhaven, FL.

Here's a few photos from the events. You can see all of the photos over at www.QuincyLooperRacing.us. Just click on the photo of Dick Austin & his Quincy Looper on the front page - it will take you to the Collections & Events page, then scroll down.

The photos here are as follows:
1) Bob Dunlap with his D Mod championship winning boat at Roar n Soar. (Congrats to Bob)
2) R. C. Hawie display at Lake Shipp.
3) Ron Selewach's display of outboard racing (production) engines at Lake Shipp.
4) Joe Welch & his restored 4 cylinder Quincy Looper Fd 67, originally owned & raced by Phil Crown.
5) Joe's Wow collection of restored Merc 20H's.

Enjoy!

Regards,

Paul A Christner

ps: These photos are for your enjoyment and are not to be copied or posted to other web sites without my written permission.

Bill Van Steenwyk
11-25-2010, 02:48 PM
As I mentioned previously on this site to you Karen, (don't remember the thread) I used to stop in McComb in the 80's on trips either to Harry Zak's or back, and have a beer or two (or 3 or 4) with Bill. I always looked forward to those trips, both to see Harry and watch him work his magic with machinery, and also Bill. He and I had several mutual interests, race boats/outboard race engines and airplanes among them, and we had some good times and conversations about both. I also visited Hanger 7 several times and had the pleasure of seeing what he was working on. I wish more of those projects had come to fruition.

I hope you are able to get those other pages posted. We do not have that much history about our sport in a written form, in fact almost none until the "internet age" and web sites like BRF. I hope more will contribute their memories and photos/videos while they are still available.

Thanks for your contributions.

Lars Strom
11-26-2010, 07:30 PM
I just came back from visiting my friend Ed Williams in Quincy, IL.

He told me yesterday that he went to look at a small boat race
in Quincy this summer.
He talked to some racers..bragging about his Swedish friend
that use to race boats..:)

Ed also took some photos..

If they are of interest...I have a few more..

Happy Thanksgiving

Lars

Gene East
11-26-2010, 09:27 PM
Lars,

Not off topic at all. This thread was started by Paul Christner of Quincy Welding.

The pictures were taken at Twin Oaks Club situated in a bay off the main river (Mississippi) channel. It's only 4 miles from my house.

Twin Oaks is well protected from the wind, pleasure boat and towboat wakes.

Hours and hours of "on the boat testing" were done here in the development of the Quincy Looper engines.

As you well know, not everything that shows positive on the dyno equates to better performance. We probably tested at Twin Oaks at least once a week during the summer months. Less often in the spring and fall.

Duck hunters didn't like us testing in November and the bay is usually iced over from late December to early March.

I have such fond memories of Twin Oaks that I've asked my family to scatter my ashes there after I'm gone. My wife isn't too cool with that, but I've eaten so many fish in my life they should have a right to get even.

Next time you come to Quincy, give me a call. I'd like to meet you.

I'll make you the same offer I made Wayne. A carp lunch at one of the bars along the riverfront and a cold Bud-Lite.

Master Oil Racing Team
11-26-2010, 09:31 PM
I would love to make it a threesome!

Lars Strom
11-27-2010, 06:52 AM
OK..more from Quincy Illinois this summer..2010.

Lars Strom
11-27-2010, 06:58 AM
OK..more from Quincy Illinois this summer..2010.

Original Looper 1
12-10-2010, 11:10 AM
First off, I'd like to thanks Lars Strom for posting the photos of Quincy Bay and Twin Oaks. They bring back fond memories of many years of my time on that part of the bay of the Mississippi River. When I was young, I had an old Glass Magic boat with a 6 hp Mercury on it. Gene East remembers it, I'm sure, as he helped me dig the boat out of a pile of boats down in the Quincy Welding warehouse and clean it up so I could run it.

I rented a boat dock in Quincy bay for 50 cents a month, which is approximately 3 miles south of where your photos were taken. My friends and I would gather up a dollar to buy premix for 22 cents a gallon, then take the leftover money to buy 5 cent bags of potato chips and Pepsi's for a dime after we'd driven my boat up from the dock at Quincy bay to Twin Oaks Boat Club.

I also spent many hours testing race boats on the Quincy bay for Quincy Welding and our customers. All kinds of race boats and motors.

We're in the process of loading photos from the huge Mark Suter/ AOMCI antique outboard meet held in MI in November. So far we've loaded about 70 photos, with another 30 or so to go. Mark has an extensive collection of not only antique outboards, he also has many rare racing motors such as the the 8 cylinder Konig engine (which he now has mounted on the original boat the motor was run on).

We've also added quite a few more old newspaper articles and other old racing items to the memorabilia section of the www.QuincyLooperRacing.us web site.

Here are a couple of photos just added.

Regards,
Paul

Please note: The photos are for your enjoyment and are not to be copied or posted to any other web site without my written permission.

Gene East
12-10-2010, 12:48 PM
I do remember that boat. Even with a 6 HP motor it was over powered. I'm surprised your Dad ever let you have it.

It was what we commonly called small boats in these parts "A boy drowner".

You must have been smart enough not to take it into the main river channel since you're still with us!

Lars Strom
12-12-2010, 11:04 AM
First off, I'd like to thanks Lars Strom for posting the photos of Quincy Bay and Twin Oaks. .[/I]

Well..I enjoy doing so..
Been to Quincy many times to visit my friend Ed Williams.
He lives and runs his business there.

His youngest daughter Megan W. is a Cheerleader for Rams..check her out!!
..click on the little arrow after the commercial..

http://prod.www.rams.clubs.nfl.com/media-center/videos/Get-To-Know-Megan-W/7af3672d-e88e-42db-9003-41a56eba45fc

Gene East
12-16-2010, 04:58 AM
She's very pretty.but then:
All the girls in Quincy are pretty!

Aeroliner
10-29-2015, 06:57 AM
Question for Gene East. Paul told me you might be able to provide a source for the water injection nozzles that were used in the Looper pipes. I am restoring an engine and one is missing.

Thanks
Alan

Gene East
10-29-2015, 04:31 PM
Sorry Alan, but I truly don't remember the nozzles Paul was talking about. We talked on the phone earlier this evening. He said you would be asking that question.
I wish I could help you!

Master Oil Racing Team
10-29-2015, 07:50 PM
Maybe not have any connection to the Quincy nozzles, but I will tell you what Walt Blankenstein took to West Berlin to test on an A Konig. I don't know where Walt came up with his paraphernalia, or even if it was based on someone that gave him information on the Quincy injection system. We all knew about the Quincy water injection, and that it was working very well with the open pipes. Walt brought an electric windshield wiper motor and a nozzle or two to Dieter's factory and Dieter installed a nozzle at the point where the manifold came together. Don't remember if Walt brought hoses, but I think he only brought the pump and nozzles.

It was amazing to see how the power jumped under a load when Dieter injected the water, but the effect was short lived. Water injected into a motor with expansion chambers under a load would bring a huge increase in power for a short time, but horsepower dropped off quickly if the water wasn't shut off. Been a long time ago, and Dieter's test were on a dyno with a 250cc Konig with a single expansion chamber. No attempt to move the pipe. Don't know whether Dieter did any further testing or not. The nozzle Walt brought I am pretty sure was one made for a windshield washer pump.

Steve Litzell would be the one that could point you in the right direction.

Aeroliner
10-30-2015, 09:11 AM
Paul came up with the patent number which is 3104829 issued to Spraying System Co. I found I have one nozzle in a Waldman B Looper and the model is GD2. I have E mailed the company to see if they are available. If anyone wants them I will order a number of them if they are still available.
Alan

BJuby
10-30-2015, 11:28 AM
Don't have any of the elbows that accept the water injection. Not sure I would want to mess with it anyway personally. It's nice if you're able to source them though.

John Schubert T*A*R*T
10-31-2015, 05:40 AM
Paul came up with the patent number which is 3104829 issued to Spraying System Co. I found I have one nozzle in a Waldman B Looper and the model is GD2. I have E mailed the company to see if they are available. If anyone wants them I will order a number of them if they are still available.
Alan
Contact Mike Schmidt teammsr@comcast.net

Aeroliner
10-31-2015, 09:45 AM
Thanks John
I will give it a try.

Alan

Aeroliner
10-31-2015, 11:01 AM
I would like to run a couple of my Loopers and was wondering if anyone has tried to run one with E-85 pump gas and TCW-III oil mixed at 10 to 1 ratio. Seems like it would be an easy way to fuel an engine for a test.

Alan

John Schubert T*A*R*T
11-02-2015, 07:19 AM
I would like to run a couple of my Loopers and was wondering if anyone has tried to run one with E-85 pump gas and TCW-III oil mixed at 10 to 1 ratio. Seems like it would be an easy way to fuel an engine for a test.

Alan
Not sure that I remember the numbers but believe you have to change the head to do so.Ask Dick O'Dea RKORACE1@aol.com