PDA

View Full Version : Need YOUR Help Please

oldalkydriver
09-05-2008, 07:07 PM
Hi everyone, I'm opening a small Burgers & Fries place here in our community of about 100,000 It is a very large building that I'm currently remodeling People here have been calling it a 'sports bar' as I have 10 TV's (left over from the hotel), a couple satelite dishes, cable To occupy the walls, I have a few alky pictures from the 50's and sixties along with some horse racing pictures.

I would be interested in any action shots of racing as the few I have have sparked some interest If people have some autographed pictures, and they don't mind, they can scan them in and I'll print them out in 8x10's and hang on the walls. You can email them to skyland@globelines.com.ph.

Any help would be greatly appreciate. Thanks:D

Master Oil Racing Team
09-05-2008, 08:05 PM
....but I'm not sure how well they may reproduce.

When I started my autograph collection in 1979, it was a whim that I conjured up just before the Nationals at Alexandria. I had seen drivers autograping pictures in Europe and I suddenly realized I had a pic of Papa Smith handy and he may not be around too many years. He was the centerpiece of my collection. And that's kind of the way it went. I grabbed up some pics to take to the races for signatures, but they were not always the best of the bunch. The signatures were what I was after...not the photo quality. And unfortunately I made few races before I retired. I got a lot of autographs at the DePue reunion, but they were all 70's. Again it was photo's splattered on a piece of photo quality paper without much time to put together something a good computer hand could make look good.

If you want to take a look at some of my offerings Old Alky Driver, you are welcome. I used to sell pictures when I was racing, but now I just want to help gin up interest in the sport that helped a young kid grow up. I will send you some samples on four conditions.

1. Give me credit for the photos and state that all my rights are reserved and not to be reproduced without my permission.

2. Since many of my autographed pics were for my own personal use, I didn't spend time to make them the best, and many were rejects, they may not reproduce well. I don't know that much about computer enhancement, but I know it can correct a lot of otherwise uninteresting pics. If any I send don't print good, don't use them. If you or a friend can capture the quality or improve it, then fine.

3. If I ever get to the Philippine's......or any of my boat racing friend's..(they have to specifically know)...then you owe a couple of free beers, and a few stories.:D

4. When you start getting a collection of photos on the wall, send some photos of patrons and the pics to BRF.:cool:

Addtionals questions and comments: Do you just want 50's and 60's and horses? As far as boat racing....how about OPC, Inboard, etc. All autographed? Maybe some old USAC? Texas Motorcross? Just let me know, and I will see what I can dig up.

One BIG final reminder. I have so many commitments to follow through with it may take awhile on any E mails I may send. In the meantime, if you want to reproduce anything I have previously submitted to BRF and go by the request and my above four additions.....help yourself.:D

Tim Chance
09-05-2008, 08:16 PM
I'm on board, I'll do what I can do to help. - Tim Chance

Master Oil Racing Team
09-05-2008, 08:48 PM
Hey Tim....do you think we could write off a vacation to the Philippines if we personally delivered the photos and did a boat racing story on Old Alky Driver's sports bar?;):D Charley Bradley supplies the Navy and Marines with all kinds of excercise equipment on the boats that come in and out of those ports. A good tie in.:cool: We could drum up a lot of interest for the travel magazines.:)

Seriously....former Powerboat Editor Bob Brown had sent me several notes from readers that were interested in photos and articles I had submitted to Powerboat in the 70's. I remember one coming from Honolulu and another from Tahiti, French Polynesia. There's no telling the letters Bob forwarded to the regular columnists like Mel Zikes, John Crouse, Mark Spencer, Dave Speer and others who had a wide following. That was a long time ago. We did not know that much about boat racing from the other side of the Pacific. In our case, we were friends of Jack Marshall from Australia, but he moved over here at one time to pursue his racing interests. Tim Chance knew Marshall and covered his story in Hydroplane Quarterly.

After looking at the pictures of those tunnels lined up for the start at a race in Indonesia with all that debris stacked up in the pits.....I figure these guys are serious about racing. Good looking boats and a good field.

Tim...we can do our little part to help perk the interest.:cool: