PDA

View Full Version : HST NUMBER 2: Rod Zapf

Ron Hill
09-10-2008, 09:27 AM
HST number two....Five pictures at $25 per post...So, Capnzee is donation $125 toward the 60 EFI Formula Race Tunnel boat mold...

Ron Hill
10-07-2008, 01:42 PM
Well, Boat 88 is getting wet at Irvine, Right NOW...

Capnzee's co-driver will be his son, Eric Von Zapf.....the Navy Top Gun pilot.........

Are the numbers legal?

Loaned him some props....

We'll see how it goes...I told him he can't test without a COWLING!!!!!

Ted March
10-07-2008, 08:08 PM
Interestng steering set up.

capnzee
10-07-2008, 09:58 PM
Steering system worked flawlessly, boat balance seemed excellent, handling was great--that is about all I found out as the engine quit making noise after about 5 minutes and I paddled back to shore. :( so much for this week--next test day is the following Tuesday--it ain't easy here in California--cost me a hunnerd bucks for a 5 minute ride! PS I ran the full race 3 years ago and won the Division, 7th overall (with no cowling). Today, I wish I had a cowling.

MAXIMUS
10-08-2008, 06:48 AM
Steering system worked flawlessly, boat balance seemed excellent, handling was great--that is about all I found out as the engine quit making noise after about 5 minutes and I paddled back to shore. :( so much for this week--next test day is the following Tuesday--it ain't easy here in California--cost me a hunnerd bucks for a 5 minute ride! PS I ran the full race 3 years ago and won the Division, 7th overall (with no cowling). Today, I wish I had a cowling.

Rod that thing looks really bad ***! It will add some color to the race for sure. Get it done man!:)

Dabull1919
10-10-2008, 08:20 AM
Did she injest some water or just get lean with no hood?

DB
ps: Nice rigg

capnzee
10-10-2008, 09:57 AM
I thought she might be running a little lean so I brought her home and did a compression check. All cylinders were at 148, plus or minus 1. Plugs looked slightly white. I looked throuh the plug holes and didn't like the looks of the piston tops so I pulled the head on the even side. The piston tops looked ok but a little dry. The heads had a slight amount of oil on them. Put the heads back on and checked compression. Now 150 on all cylinders. I think the engine stopped because the fuel pump got real wet and the engine ground switch got wet. I now have lottsa spark on all six and ran the engine for an hour on the hose at 1000 to 2000 rpm. (Still breaking in). I am changing the carbs from WHM's .072 on high speed (which I think is too lean) and putting on WH-40's (which I have) and jetting them to .090's. I have wh-46's coming. Rod PS sorry to hear you BYUBOYZ can't make it out for the 300. I was looking forward to meeting ya'll in person. Even put a message to ya'll on the transom of my HST. :)

Dabull1919
10-10-2008, 10:48 AM
Save that message for next year. It`s unbeliveable all the stuff that has happened to us down here this year that prevent`s us from attending ya`lls great race and it ain`t over yet! I`m gonna make it next year if ya`ll have it. May even make a Classic Mod-VP event if i can find out when it`s gonna be.
Remember when Mod-VP was "THE" class and you could go anywhere in the country and race. They had the class in every APBA divission. I think that`s one of the reason`s why it was such a sucsesfull class for so long.

I like your HST. I have one for bayou riding.

DB

capnzee
10-10-2008, 11:55 AM
Save that message for next year. It`s unbeliveable all the stuff that has happened to us down here this year that prevent`s us from attending ya`lls great race and it ain`t over yet! I`m gonna make it next year if ya`ll have it. May even make a Classic Mod-VP event if i can find out when it`s gonna be.
Remember when Mod-VP was "THE" class and you could go anywhere in the country and race. They had the class in every APBA divission. I think that`s one of the reason`s why it was such a sucsesfull class for so long.

I like your HST. I have one for bayou riding.

DB I understand the hurricanes and damage done in your part of the country. Easy time to forget about boat racing. I was flooded out twice this spring by the Mississippi in Norther Illinois. Not any where near the damage you had in Louisiana but enough to put me a couple of months behind. Look'n forward to seeing you next year. Rod

Dabull1919
10-10-2008, 01:27 PM
Well, We had a lot of tree`s down and power outages but no flooding this far north in the state. If that was all we had going wrong here i belive we would still come but it`s many thing`s.
See ya`ll in 09.

DB

Ron Hill
10-30-2008, 11:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FP_mbuU_XFs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FP_mbuU_XFs)

Good job ZOOPER!!!...and Family...

Only wish Bill Coberly would have been there!!!

As Bill Curtis says, "It don't get better than this.." Racing with your U.S. NAVY "TOP GUN" son, having your daughter and her husband as crew...and number two son recording the event on video...and MARY..."THE GIRL OF YOUR DREAMS" standing behind you all the way!!!!

No, it doesn't get better than this!!!!!

Dabull1919
10-31-2008, 06:53 AM
Nice video. My kinda music too. Looks like everyone had a ball. The family thing is the best part. My whole family went to most all of my race for a very long time missing only maybe two. Those were the days.

DB

capnzee
10-31-2008, 07:15 AM
As long as boatracing includes the family it will stay healthy and fun! Boatracing is helping each other out with parts, efforts, and problems. When boatracing tries to go professional everybody loses! Thanks for the nice comments~ :) Capnzee (Zooper)

MAXIMUS
10-31-2008, 02:48 PM
As long as boatracing includes the family it will stay healthy and fun! Boatracing is helping each other out with parts, efforts, and problems. When boatracing tries to go professional everybody loses! Thanks for the nice comments~ :) Capnzee (Zooper)

Thats nice however I really don't think your engine cowl will fit over my engine!;)

Rod again I say to you, Congrats on a great job this year!:)

Next year will be great!

capnzee
10-31-2008, 03:08 PM
Ben, maybe you need to get an engine that will fit under my cowling! ooooh, that hurt! I didn't mean to say it, the devil made me! Your Jones looked awesome! Maybe you could just remove one of the good blades and run a two blade prop! Question: which blade to remove!:) Rod PS That CROWN ROYAL you put before me when we were discussing carrier landings on the deck of your Jones Tunnel was "strong medicine" like "fire water"!

rilo22
10-31-2008, 03:34 PM
Rod, congratulations on a great race and finish!! what a wonderful family. How great to have them with you at the GRANDDADY of all boat races. Bill Reiter sr.

capnzee
10-31-2008, 05:04 PM
Bill, as you know, I respect you and consider you a great friend, thank you for your comments! It always makes a guy feel good when he hears something nice about his family, coming from you I feel especially privileged! Again, thanks for the donation that helped get us the 2008 poster! :)Rod

capnzee
10-31-2008, 10:55 PM