PDA

View Full Version : Eliminator 20' scorpion ??

imaduner
09-21-2008, 10:40 PM
I once had one of these hulls with a evinrude 200XP. I understood there was some questionable history with this hull. As I undersand, this was not a eliminator designed hull and there were lawsuits from the designer and ?? It was a beutiful hull but not one of my favorites, the ride was not the best and the rocker was shaved so the bow rode lower (I always worried about stuffing the nose).Performance did not seem as well as the 19' daytona either. Any history about this hull would be appreciated.
Prior to this boat I had a 19' daytona with a evinrude 3.6 liter 300h/p V-8.
This was a much better riding and handling hull. I ran it in drags once and I think it went 94mph with a 4 bladed through hub ski prop (as I remember...they did not give us many runs for set-up, why I did not run a chopper or cleaver is beyond me ??).
This boat would do 90's all day long and it felt perfectly stable. Anyway thanks for this great website !!

Dabull1919
09-25-2008, 05:13 AM
If you could contacy Ron Baker in Minnisoto he or his son (Sam) could give you the whole story on the Scorpion. Sam hang`s out mostly on Scream and Fly.

DB

Ted March
09-25-2008, 06:58 AM
Ron & Sam Baker

Ron's in FL.

Sam's on BRF. Contact Information below.

sam.baker@scaryfast.com

Dabull1919
09-25-2008, 07:26 AM
According to Sam the Rappid Craft Riot came from a modified Scorpion and those boat`s are fast.

DB

Sam Baker
08-25-2009, 06:39 PM
There were several versions of the Scorpion, but the most popular were the Eliminator Scorpion and the Advantage Banshee. Liberator makes a copy of one of them as well.

My Dad started racing a Scorpion in ModVP but it didn't turn well. It would slide and then hook. So he worked with them to make a few changes including notching the transom so you wouldn't need the traditional Eliminator engine transom bracket.

The resulting boat was built in Shawano. So the Shawano Scorpion built after '86 or so was different than the California built Scorpion. It turned better and ran a little faster.

He then worked with Rapid Craft to use the same hull but redesigned the deck. The Scorpion didn't have very much pinch in the tunnel so he moved the dash back which helped reduce the porpoising.

Rapid Craft built the boat with all Klegecell construction and the boat was very light and strong - and fast. It's also one of the best running boats in rough water...awesome boat in the rough stuff.

The biggest improvement you can make in a Scorpion is to remove the heavy Eliminator interior and replace it with a couple of lightweight buckets.