PDA

View Full Version : Seaboat

trollfromthebyu
10-15-2008, 09:15 AM
This is not a race boat but for a ex racer it sure is a lot of fun modified a Merc. 25 xd with open exhaust nosecone and low water pickup cut up a 95 seadoo xp and did glass work this is where i'm at now any questions or comments. Still trying to get it dialed in this is the videos i have so far http://www.youtube.com/user/trollfromthebyu

mercboy175
10-15-2008, 08:56 PM
:eek:That thing looks wicked!

Ron Hill
10-15-2008, 09:49 PM
Looks somewhat like Ted May's old Pumpkin Seed boats...Please post a GPS speed on BRF's World Records...

trollfromthebyu
11-03-2008, 06:54 AM
Ok everyone got it tuned just about right no bouncing just a little chinewalk no big deal. Had a good friend come in from out of state to get some great pictures of it runing. I’ve put some new vids on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/trollfromthebyu all comments welcome. Top speed 55mph to 58mph but a blast to drive.

trollfromthebyu
02-05-2009, 11:37 AM
OK new paint got a new name?
also put a short vid up
http://www.youtube.com/user/trollfromthebyu

850cc racer
02-05-2009, 02:22 PM
mate that thing looks so fun to drive!! well done it looks great!:eek:

fyremanbill
02-07-2009, 12:45 AM
Got any detailed pics of the transom? Looks like lots of fun.

JohnsonM50
02-07-2009, 06:15 AM
Far from the 1st vid, it looks great dialed in.. Not that the white knuckled, teeth grit n, jumpin all over vid wasnt cool too .;):cool:

trollfromthebyu
02-07-2009, 11:03 AM
this is some of the pics i took along the way the sides of the transom are bolted to the fiberglass then glassed in place

trollfromthebyu
04-18-2009, 01:01 AM
ok everybody got the boat about how i want it, had power trim but the combined weight of trim and battery killed me, now i have adjustible trim via a home made turn buckle. Top speed still is not over 60 so time to start working on the engine. www.youtube.com/trollfromthebyu

Thanks to everyone for there encourgement.

Thanks to D. L. from Buna Texas and also my family for putting up with my BS over the past year.

Adam Verrett

Morgan City, La

JohnsonM50
04-18-2009, 04:55 AM
Ive made 2 adjustable trims replacing the tilt pin with a cam, lever & pedal to adj. on the fly. It would work ok at 1st but was a maintainance problem every time so I scrapped the things... for now. Question is do you need to adjust to get it going then to go, or not. Sure is fast for a 25 [of any kind] :D

Skoontz
04-18-2009, 07:36 AM
Fun project. Let me share what Don Henrich the propeller God told me when we were trying for the big 60 with a 10' GW Invader.

Your bottom is similar in design, your boat is lighter and narrower, but, he said 50-55 was the thresh hold that boat design was going to see. We played and played, had him bang out a hell of a wheel and, sure enough, never saw a mile over 54 on the Keller. Had allot of fun doing it though.

So, be prepared to hit your hull limitation because of the size/power/weight etc. I don't claim to know where that would be, and you're having fun, but just be prepared to see that threshold somewhere in the near future.

trollfromthebyu
04-18-2009, 10:45 AM
i may be there already i had lost 7 mph after paint and power trim (32 lbs) and boat would not hang on pad any more, took the weight back out gained 6mph back.

it doesn't need to be adj. while under way it just takes a bit to get on step

crazy bob
07-19-2009, 08:04 PM
i think i want to build one now just watched it on you tube

scotti c
07-22-2009, 07:03 PM
Fun project. Let me share what Don Henrich the propeller God told me when we were trying for the big 60 with a 10' GW Invader.

Your bottom is similar in design, your boat is lighter and narrower, but, he said 50-55 was the thresh hold that boat design was going to see. We played and played, had him bang out a hell of a wheel and, sure enough, never saw a mile over 54 on the Keller. Had allot of fun doing it though.

So, be prepared to hit your hull limitation because of the size/power/weight etc. I don't claim to know where that would be, and you're having fun, but just be prepared to see that threshold somewhere in the near future.

hey skoontz what did you all have on that gw invader. setting one up with a 50 johnson , just wondering what to expect. thanks scotti:)

Skoontz
07-22-2009, 09:21 PM
Scotti:

I had a 2 hole, 50HP looper with trim and tilt, short shaft. The invader was a 10.5' boat rated for 40 hp. We sharpened the radius of the rounded transom to the bottom, added material to a 1/16" deep hook that was aboout 18" long, then raised the motor 4" so the last hole of the water inlet was in the water.

We moved the fuel tank and battery all the way forward, centered the steering and install a Ray Nydal foot throttle. The steering was Ride guide, single cable, there was too much mousing around with cables and a spool.

We had an extremely hard time planing the boat early on, so, had the master make a 19" stainless 3 blade prop. WE did not get a whole lot of bow lift, so, it was tweeked again. After the lift issue was solved, we went from 50 to 54 MPH.

Invaders were very week from the nose through the front third of the boat, and one sunny day, in front of the Long Branch Saloon, showing off in front of some blonde I was eyeing, I jumped a wave, the nose hit the water, then the deck separated from the hull, and, with no helmet, the deck hit me in the head, and the boat went under, about 10' off the center pier of Burtains Bridge on the Fox River in Illinois. I was sore for a week...

scotti c
07-23-2009, 08:08 PM
if i may be so bold; what year was this? and also was the motor remoted?
i will tell you about my boat later.
busy now trying to get ready for memphis next weekend
thanks scotti:)

Skoontz
07-23-2009, 08:57 PM
Circa 1977. The Invader was a 1970, and the motor was a brand new Evinrude dad got me a deal on when he worked for Treadwell Marine. Remoted?

You mean remote controls? Yeah foot throttle, centered steering.

scotti c
07-24-2009, 07:18 AM
the boat that i am restoring is a 71 or 72 gw invader ,the title calls it a kitson craft. i belive that kenny kitson builtthis one.it is the only one i have seen with a hood scoop on it ,also have 2 others that are later vintage

scotti c
07-24-2009, 07:26 AM
:)remote meaning ,set back, just finished rigging last night ,looks pretty cool, waiting for my seats , and steering . when done ill try to somehow put a picture or two up here
scotti

Brian Burkhardt
07-24-2009, 11:06 AM
Scotti,

We have to make 61mph our GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Come on Man we can do it.

Were going wear our helmet and jacket though.

Burkhardt