PDA

View Full Version : Looper Pictures

racnbns
04-02-2005, 08:21 AM
The following pictures are examples of the highlights of Bruce Summers' Looper experiences.

The picture of the Butts hydro running at the 1988 Nat'ls was my first "pickle fork" and it ran very well. The picture at the '89 Nat'ls was a Pugh hydro which also ran very well.

The picture of the runabouts at the '89 Nat'ls was entering the first turn. This was Wayne Walgrave's "F" runabout. It ran well but was not competive with the smaller boats and Konig engines. Terry Klemm came between Howard Anderson and me so fast that it seemed like the anchor was dragging.

The picture of the cylinder block is the Looper Six that I built from two "D" Looper blocks.

Master Oil Racing Team
04-03-2005, 11:33 AM
Wow--a rookie deck rider! That guy has lots of guts. Did he race his own boats too?

Peter Crowley
04-04-2005, 04:39 AM
Rookie rider...? Sometimes that is the only way they can get a rider- someone who hasn't seen them go! My daughter rode with Jim Kirts in maybe 1999 at the Nationals. I believe that it was the last time that Jim Ran 1100ccR. She was 17 because she had run her last race in JPRO and then ran in 1100ccR. They won the final heat but finished 2nd to the Thirlby brothers that year. The top 1100ccR boats are REALLY FAST!

Jeff Lytle
04-04-2005, 08:37 PM
I added a bit of color to your post Bruce with a pic under your name.

Whatcha' Think?

racnbns
04-05-2005, 07:22 PM
Peter C. put it right on. You get a deck rider from where ever you can. The rookie rider in the pic has two strikes against him. He is 50+ and polish. Joke! He bought the F run. after Iquit in 90. He and his buddy put my 6 loop together for me and for that he got a boat ride, his boat + my engine. He later bought the looper and ran with his lady friend as deck rider. I rode deck on John Toprahanian F with Jay Root driving. Took two rides to figure out that Iwant the throttle and steering wheel in my hand when I go into the first turn. That boat you actually crawled out on the deck in the turns, SCARY.
Jeff, Thanks for adding the pic.

BOAT RACING:
A disease for which there is no cure.

Bruce Summers
V-71

oldalkydriver
04-05-2005, 09:56 PM
I never got to ride with Jay, but I rode with a few Torprahanians other drivers. You think it was SCAREY with Jay driving, I rode a couple of test times with George Mays! I've never seen any driver including; Greg Spencer, Glen Campbell, Bob Jackson, Al Brooks and even Ralph Donald drive into a corner like George. As Ron Hill is so fawnd of saying the trottle is a brake. George never learned how to use it. He just pointed the boat where he thought should go, and went!

However here is a picture of Jay Root at Bakersfield. I don't know who is riding. Could be Fast Freddy?

Master Oil Racing Team
04-06-2005, 06:04 AM
I'm like you Bruce. I want the throtte & the steering wheel. I had the good fortune of riding deck once--with none other than Charlie Bailey. I don't remember whether Craig Lawrence or Troy Dunn was supposed to ride,but something happened and I got drafted. You know going in that Charlie would start on the inside, and any hole that opened up was his.

Peter Crowley
04-06-2005, 09:56 AM
Bottom picture is Bruce driving the famous DeSilva "Miss Laurie"? I remember Steve Litzell running it when it was an old boat. the history of that boat would be interesting......

Ron Hill
04-06-2005, 07:43 PM
It ain't a Quincy Looper...but

Are you sure that is Jay Root at the wheel??? I don't think that is Fast Riddy riding, as it looks like a Hill Jacket and some "Strange" helmet...Also, doesn't look like Freddy's arms....But, I have no idea who it is....

oldalkydriver
04-07-2005, 12:37 PM
Positive that is Jay Root driving. Craig Spencer and him were the only two that sat like "Tommy Ingalls", straight up! Craig never drove the De Silva.

Bottom picture is George Mays driving the De Silva with his normal deck rider. Mind you I say normal as in steady, not as in a psychiatric state of mind. You had to be a little crazy to trust someone else with your well being to go out on a deck with no control over what happens.

I believe the C-190 was either Ken Schmidt or James Schonenfelt (C-57) driving with deck rider from C-207.

I can't remember weather John had two De Silva's, or just the one and re-worked it. He told me once that he had problems with one used De Silva (he was thrifty, hence the name tighterhanian). Can't remember. I'll have to try and get a hold of Jay. I'm leaning towards the two boat therory as the grains are really different on the later one. I was only able to drive it twice, once in Alexandria, LA 1976. The same year that John had five different drivers at one race. Once at Bakersfield.

bill boyes
04-07-2005, 01:00 PM
C190 sure like like my old DeSilva D runabout

Ron Hill
04-07-2005, 01:40 PM
Rich kid from Newport...Had a DeSilva Bull Nose and Quincy Cross Flow "D", as I recall...Nice guy, hung with several from Newport, Chric Buckley,....for one...

As I recall, Kenny was shot and killed by the Security Guard at his trailer park in Mexico. Kenny waved at the guard, who knew him and drove by, the guard pulled his pistol and shot him dead....

That is George May (You keep adding an S...it is May, but seems, at one time he went by Mays???? Did he shorten it to May when Ted May started racing??).

I seem to recall two DeSilva Runabouts, ask Tim Weber to ask Ralph DeSilva....as they see each other often.

Whos is that thin guy standing next to Billy Boyes's DU???

bill boyes
04-07-2005, 02:53 PM
I was the blunt of fat jokes even then,

racnbns
04-07-2005, 05:03 PM
Here is a pic of John T,s boat that I rode in. It has Johns Yamarude engine. I dont know when he built the first one but this pic was in 70 or 71. Jay Root drove and we fin. up 4or 5th.

Bruce Summers
V-71

oldalkydriver
04-07-2005, 06:02 PM
John built his first YamaRude sometime late '68 or early '69. Steve Wahlen was the man who talked John into trying them. If I remember correctly, the cyclinders came from a 250 Yamaha. Steve was having one built by John also. I can't remember if he ever raced it or not.

I got to test the yamarude a couple times in late '69 at Blythe. Thing could sure accelerate. I can remember coming out of a corner somewhere between 45 - 50 mph and squeeze the throttle and before I could get my arms stretched and lite butt back, we hit 75 in a side by side! Quite a feit for me as the fastest I'd been was a PR running 68 or 69.

Ron, the reason I keep adding an s to George's name is he owned Mays Cafe on Broadway between 10th & 11th if I remember correctly.

Gene East
09-18-2005, 08:58 AM
While listing F Runabout drivers of the past, let's not forget Bill Fales. I used to ride deck for Jim Schoch and rode with Wayne Walgrave. Would have loved to have ridden with Bruce, but he never asked me.
One night at dinner in DePue I was setting around the table with about 6 or 8 deck riders.
One of these guys had too many Bud Lites and was bragging about what he was going to do tomorrow.
Someone else said " Yeah we know, You're going to hold your ears when Bill Fales blows past you just like the rest of us".
Sure enough that's what happened.
Have you ever ridden up Bill's rooster tail? I have, it was a scary situation!

Master Oil Racing Team
09-18-2005, 10:27 AM
Gene--When did you ride deck for Wayne Walgrave. I don't have many pictures of Jim driving, but I may have some of you riding with Wayne. Two man F runabout always make for great pictures. I have the utmost respect for the deck riders. I can't imagine going up a roostertail and you don't have a throttle or anything to hold on to or control.

The first time Andy Weller rode deck for Charlie Bailey he had a grip outside the deck by the chines. When you ride with Charlie, it's a given that you will go into the first turn on the inside. That first corner Charlie and Rich Fuschlin were banging around a little, and Andy quickly found a place inside the cockpit to hang on to.

I only rode deck once when Andy wasn't around. Charlie was driving Roland Pruett's BT-11 Miss Pam. It was a great ride, and I'm glad I had the experience, but it was enough.

F-12
09-18-2005, 12:36 PM
I agree with you, Wayne, even though my first experience was my last. I think it all depends on the pilot. I got to ride with Billy Seebold in Marshall's FRR at Lakeland back in the 60's and had an absolute blast riding behind him. I was the lightest in the pits closest to where they were pitted and wasn't running anything anytime soon. Billy was and is a master driver and the only part that really caused concern was when he said just hang on and have fun. I think after all these years, I would still want to ride in that runabout today. Adrenelin (sp) is a wonderful thing......................

Gene East
09-19-2005, 05:28 AM
I rode with Wayne at DePue in 1970 or 1971. His regular Deck Rider got sick and Wayne asked me to fill in. I about broke my neck saying yes.
We were leading on the last lap and missed the turn bouy. By the time we got lined out, 2 of those "Kraut Eaters" got around us.
I could already see my name in the record book, but that's life.
We didn't win, but I can tell my grandkids at one time I was in first place at the nationals. Not everyone can say that!

Gene East
09-19-2005, 05:40 AM
To Wayne Baldwin,
You asked how Jim and I came down off Bill Fales rooster tail. Right side up fortunately, but we sure lost position. I don't know if you have any pictures of me in your vast collection, after all; I was just a lowly pit man. Unfortunately, a broken water pipe in the den ruined virtually all my trophies and pictures. Sure would like some way to prove to the kids that the "Old Man" really did the things he claims.

Master Oil Racing Team
09-19-2005, 07:40 AM
Gene--Sorry you lost all your trophies & pics. I lost a few trophies in a hurricane and fire, but don't know what I'd do if I lost my pictures. Unfortunately, I didn't pick up a camera until 1972 and I lost the best of 72 and 73 after the Houston boat show. The only one I have found of you so far is the one of you on top of the trailer. It's posted on this Quincy thread. I'll keep looking. In the meantime tell some more stories and have your kids logon. We'll back you up.

jrome
09-19-2005, 07:43 AM
Gene, If wayne can not find photos Iwill be witness for you. One of my all time memories is seeing you run with a 44 on your sholder from one side of the pits to the other.And I mean running. Joe

Master Oil Racing Team
09-19-2005, 09:17 AM
Gene-I can recall you changing a piston between heats at DePue, and if memory serves me correctly, you did it again at Alexandria a few weeks later. One guy who probably has the most and the best pictures from those days is Paul Simison. He is a member here. Would like to hear from him.

bradydo
11-20-2007, 07:32 PM
Positive that is Jay Root driving. Craig Spencer and him were the only two that sat like "Tommy Ingalls", straight up! Craig never drove the De Silva.

Bottom picture is George Mays driving the De Silva with his normal deck rider. Mind you I say normal as in steady, not as in a psychiatric state of mind. You had to be a little crazy to trust someone else with your well being to go out on a deck with no control over what happens.

I believe the C-190 was either Ken Schmidt or James Schonenfelt (C-57) driving with deck rider from C-207.

I can't remember weather John had two De Silva's, or just the one and re-worked it. He told me once that he had problems with one used De Silva (he was thrifty, hence the name tighterhanian). Can't remember. I'll have to try and get a hold of Jay. I'm leaning towards the two boat therory as the grains are really different on the later one. I was only able to drive it twice, once in Alexandria, LA 1976. The same year that John had five different drivers at one race. Once at Bakersfield.

Wow, what an incredible website! C-190 was Chris Buckley with Ed Brady (my brother) riding deck. Ed later bought that boat and raced it for years. I was probably 12 yrs old when I got my first ride. I can't believe all the cool stuff on this website!

Ron Hill
11-20-2007, 11:09 PM
Hey Brady....Saw your named when you signed on and wondered if you were related....to Ed.... How is he doing? Got any old ....dumb statement...got any pictures to post???

Like to see Kenny Schmidt's old Bull Nose DeSilva hydro....

Welcome aboard. Jay Root usually get on here about now (10 P.M.) He and his wife came to the DePue Reunion....

bradydo
11-21-2007, 08:27 AM
Hey Brady....Saw your named when you signed on and wondered if you were related....to Ed.... How is he doing? Got any old ....dumb statement...got any pictures to post???

Like to see Kenny Schmidt's old Bull Nose DeSilva hydro....

Welcome aboard. Jay Root usually get on here about now (10 P.M.) He and his wife came to the DePue Reunion....
Ed is my older brother and is doing great. He discovered this website a few days ago and we have both been glued to it ever since!

bradydo
03-05-2022, 05:27 PM
C190 Ed Brady (my brother)