PDA

View Full Version : OPC Photos

Master Oil Racing Team
04-02-2005, 11:22 AM
RATS! The wind finally died down & I was headed out the door to plant some tomatoes and I picked up this binder I hadn't looked at yet. So here goes a few more photos before I got to go to work.

Ron Hill
04-02-2005, 12:06 PM
148 is Dick Sherrer
196 is Johnny Sanders
Witt Marine is Bobby Witt from Baytown, Texas...

Plant tomatoes?? Watermelons sound better!

John Howe
04-02-2005, 02:07 PM
Lemme guess.

196 @ 1/15 shutter speed?

126, the old EP class, which was a favorite of mine, and in a Allison?

Master Oil Racing Team
04-03-2005, 09:32 AM
Yeah John, I think that's right, but I never wrote any of that stuff down at the races.

Very perceptive Ron. Even though my address is "watermelon", Texas, I don't have enough room in the garden to grow them. Besides they don't make good pizza sauce. Check out the prop on this boat. Photos are from Offats Bayou-Galveston and Lake Charles, La., maybe one from Baytown, Tx.

Ron Hill
04-03-2005, 09:51 PM
Green hat, Lee Sutter.

54, Hell Cat is Ted May....

Great shots....have you considered going to any of the races this year to take pictures? A great driver has a nose for good pictures....but I always take my eye out of the camera to yell OH S^%t!!!

Master Oil Racing Team
04-04-2005, 07:27 AM
If it weren't for the oilfield, I would without a doubt. You can get a lot better pictures if you can roam around and not be stuck in your own pit. Johnny Long asked me to come to Conroe this weekend, but I'm going out of town the following weekend and I can't be gone that long. Believe me, us guys in the oilfield don't like oil that high either. It kills us.

WharfRat
04-04-2005, 07:45 AM
Johnny Long ?!?!?! WOW, been forever since I heard his name, last ime I saw him I think he was selling boats in Kemah for Meek's marine (he have a brother named Dan ?)

add: Is there a race in Conroe this weekend ? If so, what classes & club is putting it on ?

Miss BK
04-04-2005, 08:05 AM
The JP boat is Corky Callahan.

The guy in the Bud hat looks a lot like Grandpa Seebold -- and it looks like BeBe (Seebolds' long time boat builder) behind him. Mike Seebold ran a blue "AMSOIL" boat around this time, could this be Mike's boat?

Great pics! What a treat. Thanks for taking the time to share.

Do you by any chance have any photos of JP #85? (Louis Collins).

Master Oil Racing Team
04-04-2005, 08:46 PM
Miss BK--I Should have some. So many names have been popping up I don't know which direction to go. Thought I had some of Jimbo, but couldn't find them. Have some of Corky's wife Sue Ann (including one for the splash section). Soon I will post some of driver's meetings to see who pops up. Many of those guys I didn't know, so they will have to sound off if they see their mug.

Johnny R Long
04-04-2005, 08:47 PM
Johnny Long ?!?!?! WOW, been forever since I heard his name, last ime I saw him I think he was selling boats in Kemah for Meek's marine (he have a brother named Dan ?)

add: Is there a race in Conroe this weekend ? If so, what classes & club is putting it on ?
Warf--
John Long here--good to know you are still around--lost track of you years ago--still in Clear Lake selling boats--Dan is in Guntersville, Al.--still a captian on a mega-yacht now - spends most of his time in the bahamas or Mexico.
Conroe race is this weekend--you should try to make it--SPORT is running the show--running 45-120 and the all exciting tri-hulls!
John Long

WharfRat
04-05-2005, 07:37 AM
Was on the phone with Wayne last night talking about you. Talk about a long time ! I'll email you my phone #'s in case we can go to Conroe this weekend. Really glad to know you'ree still around & look forward to talking to you. Say hi to Dan for me next time you see him :)

Wayne, forgot to ask you last night, the boat Miss BK is referring to is the one I'm restoring now I'm pretty sure, would really like to have some pics of it in it's day

Master Oil Racing Team
04-05-2005, 08:08 AM
I'll look when I get back from Corpus. I know I took pictures of Louis racing, but that may be some of the stuff that Motorsport has. Does anyone know where Harry Echols is (aka H C Clyde)?

carl lewis
04-05-2005, 09:49 AM
Picture #3 sure looks like Lee Sutter

Carl

Master Oil Racing Team
04-13-2005, 01:34 PM
Miss BK---Took awhile, but I found one of Louis' # 85 while looking for something else this morning.

Wayne

WharfRat
04-13-2005, 01:54 PM
Wayne, when should I expect a copy of EVERY shot you have of that boat (especially in color) in my mailbox ????????? :eek: :D :D :D

Just let me know how much to reimburse you:)

MrsWharfRat
04-13-2005, 04:38 PM
Miss BK---Took awhile, but I found one of Louis' # 85 while looking for something else this morning.

Wayne

A special thank you to you Wayne for getting Scott & Johnny together again. (I would have mentioned this in my original message but I did not know that 'Master Oil Racing Team' was you at that time :p ).

Miss BK
04-13-2005, 07:10 PM
Thanks Wayne!

Just as I was opening this thread my 8 yr old walked up and I got to say to him, "Hey look Parker! There's Grandpa!"

That was followed by a ton of questions he had...see, he wasn't around when "Grandpa" was racing, and we don't have any photos either. He's only now realizing that all of us used to race "way back when". Thanks again for helping us pass on these memories!

In the photo we see #66 Gary Tuttle and I think that could be Milton Balser behind him.

Wharf: Sure wish I had some pics of the Laser for you. But for some reason, the family never seemed to take many racing photos at all. The one Wayne posted is of an Allison.

That's why people like Wayne are so important! :)

Master Oil Racing Team
04-13-2005, 08:20 PM
Thanks Val:

Strange how things work out.

Like you I dated within the boat racing fraternity. Corresponded at little bit with Rachael Van Hyte, went out a couple of times with Billy Seebold's cousin, was serious with a couple of daughters of racers, including being engaged to one. We broke off a week before I graduated from college. I got a full refund on the ring and used the money to buy 2 Nikon cameras and some lenses (best investment I ever made). That was 1972.

I ended up marrying a non racer, but I converted her.

We were scheduled to be married April 23, 1977. I got an invitation to race in Berlin early that year. It was the same day we were supposed to get married. I told Debbie to postpone the wedding and when I got back we could get married. NO WAY that was going to happen she said. The invitations weren't printed yet, so she moved the date up to April 16 and we spent our first weekend together as husband and wife at a boat race.

This weekend is our 28th anniversary. We are going to spend the weekend at Fredricksburg. i think before I leave I'll post a few photos of our racing in Berlin.

Note: Mrs. Wharfrat--boat racing is a family adventure!

A couple of pictures of Debbie follow.

WharfRat
04-14-2005, 07:35 AM
Val, now that you say that I can see by the width of the bow you are right :(

WAYNE, KEEP LOOKING !!!!:D

Master Oil Racing Team
04-14-2005, 07:48 AM
Scott--Looked this morning through slides. No color. Unless there is a couple but no numbers to identify with. N/C on the B & W, but I have to let the paper dry for a week.??? (That's what it says).

Master Oil Racing Team
07-06-2005, 09:31 AM
Late with these. Had to leave at 5 am to run pipe on the 4th. Back home 39 hours later. Besides boat racing, Palacious always held a UFO festival every year and invited aliens from space to attend.

Miss BK
07-06-2005, 11:32 AM
Great pics, Wayne~

1. #85 is Louis Collins in his white 16' Allison (not sure who is on the inside)

2. Not sure (could be Mike Cullen???)

3. woman (unknown)

4. #1223 Darrell Beaullier

5. #233 Could either be Sam Rochelle or Don Gautier (my father in law, Louis Collins bought this boat from Sam later)

Master Oil Racing Team
07-06-2005, 01:07 PM
Does this help with the ID?

kevin beaulier
08-01-2005, 06:23 PM
The white SE boat is Ed Caudill from the dallas area I think.

Ron Hill
08-11-2005, 10:40 AM
I've leaving today to go to Italy. One planned stop is to see Massimo Scotti and Renato Molinari in Lake Como...

Just happened to pick up this 1969 Powerboat Magazine and open it...

Brings back too many memories....

Miss BK
08-11-2005, 12:00 PM
Ron,

Be sure and tell Massimo "Hello" from me! I'll make it over there one of these days.

Have fun Ron.

Val

MN1
01-13-2006, 12:41 PM
A photo of one of the Twister Craft boats at the 1977 OPC Nationals.
Photo by Mark Nelson

MN1
01-13-2006, 01:44 PM
Photo of Bill Richter Sr. 1975 Kankakee, IL
Photo by Greg Nelson

mbd29
01-17-2006, 10:38 AM
Mark: You've got me thinking. My memory must be really fading fast. I thought "Lil Red" the Twistercraft had gone to Dave Packer by 1977 and didn't think that Mert ran it after Billy. Billy ran it with a TII and TIIX through 1975. The boat has the rear cowl cut down for the TIIX and had the breakaway steering installed unlike it had been with the TII. With that, Mert must have run it after. He or Billy were about the only ones who could keep it on the water. Also notice Sutters boat next to it. What looks odd about it?

Nice shot of Bill Richter. Correct me if I'm wrong but that boat, I believe was a Sid, run by John Stochel the year prior and Dick Ingebertsen the year before that.

MN1
01-17-2006, 01:45 PM
Mike,
The year of the photo is correct because it's stamped on all my slides. I do think it's at the OPC Nationals in Alabama.
Looks like Lee Sutters boat has a T2 or T2X on it. Instead of the T3. And I think it's the pickle fork Molinari. I noticed that too.

On Bill Ritchers boat,
When Dick had this boat, was it white with green trim and a blue wind screen? If so I have a photo of it too (sunk and being towed in) at Rockford, IL.
This is the boat that Bill blew over in Evansville, IN and went through the front cowl. Ouch!
Mark

brichter
01-17-2006, 03:36 PM
Yes, That's the Sid that Dick Ingebretsen had. Dad put us kids to work stripping the paint off of the deck right after he brought it home. My dad has a picture (somewhere) of the bottom side of it while it was still in the air at Evansville. A great picture ( maybe you took it, Mark?) I will try to find it and post here.

MN1
01-17-2006, 04:58 PM
Mike,
Now you have me thinking about the Twister Craft boat. I thought they were built for the T3. I don't remember seeing Billy run a T2 or T2x on one. Just the T3.
Could this have been a special effort to give Jimbo some competion in S class ?
Mark

Mark75H
01-17-2006, 05:13 PM
special hidden message

mbd29
01-17-2006, 06:17 PM
Mark: Sam beat me to the punch. I was going to post that shot too. I have shots of it with the TIIX that I took at, I think, Lake Carol.

I don't think Dick had a blue windscreen. That may have been Duane Timm in the Nauss. He had a blue windscreen. It was an Evinrude though not a Johnson.

I will have to dig up some of my old Great Lakes photos. You and your brother must have a million of them.

Bill, I remember your dad well. I also remember him working you kids pretty hard at the races.

MN1
01-17-2006, 07:29 PM
Mike,
I do remember the Lake Carol race. I think it was the first race that we saw a T3. Very cool - sounded like an air raid siren!

I think your right about Duane Timm. I didn't know that was a Harold Nauss boat. I do remember the other boats he built though. Very different, but Fast!! Ya know that one of his propeller designs is still the propeller to have in SST 60 class right now.

Bill Ritcher Sr. really helped us punk kids out alot. Lots of help getting the boats in and out of the water, motor work and anything else you can think of. I do have few photos of Bills old Hustler?with the UI engine. Taken at the Rockford, Il race.
Mike - show us some photos of your old boats!
Mark

Mark Poole
01-22-2006, 09:26 AM
I was always curious about these boats. They looked to be more narrow than other tunnels of that time and they appear to have no lift in the deck. Even for great drivers like Bill, had to be a hairy ride flying down the straights with the motor tucked under. I guess with a set up like that if you feel it starting to fly you keep your foot in the gas and start praying! I can see where they would be quick on smooth water though.

T2x
01-25-2006, 03:32 PM
By 1976 or so "lil Red" was in Canada....... I had a choice between that hull and a pickle fork Molinari........ I took one ride in both and chose the Moli.

There was no way I was going to run that thing in Canada..... with all the "rubbing" in turns...etc. Oley Berkis wound up with it and had probably his worst year of racing....He was so big that he negated the weight and acceleration advantage....and the hull was so slippery, that he couldn't hold a line in the turns....

I believe it was after that when Dave Packer wound up with it.

T2x

tthibodaux
03-11-2007, 06:39 AM
Dang thats cool. I need one in my living room.;)

brichter
03-15-2007, 11:03 AM
Nice shot of Bill Richter. Correct me if I'm wrong but that boat, I believe was a Sid, run by John Stochel the year prior and Dick Ingebertsen the year before that.

...I recently found out from Schubert that Tim Briggs was the original owner that sold it to Stochle.

peterse90
03-23-2007, 04:27 PM
By 1976 or so "lil Red" was in Canada....... I had a choice between that hull and a pickle fork Molinari........ I took one ride in both and chose the Moli.

There was no way I was going to run that thing in Canada..... with all the "rubbing" in turns...etc. Oley Berkis wound up with it and had probably his worst year of racing....He was so big that he negated the weight and acceleration advantage....and the hull was so slippery, that he couldn't hold a line in the turns....

I believe it was after that when Dave Packer wound up with it.

T2x
Oley Berkis had "Big Red".
"Big Red" started life as a full front, but after blowing it over more than once, Oley and John Scythes turned it into a pickle-fork.
Here's a picture of "Big Red" as a pickle-fork with Seebold cowlings.

T2x
03-26-2007, 12:51 PM
Oley Berkis had "Big Red".
"Big Red" started life as a full front, but after blowing it over more than once, Oley and John Scythes turned it into a pickle-fork.
Here's a picture of "Big Red" as a pickle-fork with Seebold cowlings.

I know the difference between Big and Little Red...... and I remember both. Before Big Red came to Canada..little Red was up there and we tested it.... I recall Oley driving it in a few races....then Big Red showed up....and ..I guess...Little Red went back to Oshkosh.

T2x

MN1
04-11-2007, 04:27 PM
A 1973 photo of one of the Nardi's and Bill Richter Sr. in Rockford, IL.
The class should be UI.
Mark Nelson

MN1
04-11-2007, 04:45 PM
Billy Seebold in his Seebold - Lowery tunnel boat. Madison, WI around 1974 or 1975.
Mark Nelson

MN1
04-11-2007, 05:05 PM
It was a tough race. We had to build a complete V3 Mercury Outboard (with stacks) and then build a complete racing jon boat.
I think the Guimonds are out front (they must have been cheating). Yea that's it, cheating!
Well it was alot of fun at the races, even the boats ended up in a heap just like the real ones!!!
Mark Nelson

MN1
04-11-2007, 05:30 PM
Chucky Z from WI. This boat was one of the first designed for SST 60 class.
The motor turned out to be slower than anticipated. So I turned it into a SST 120 boat and added a Seebold capsule. This is the second generation SST 120 motor
The boat is an Karlson.
Mark Nelson

MN1
04-11-2007, 05:43 PM
Photo of Karlson as a SST 60 boat.
MN

MN1
04-11-2007, 06:04 PM
Sam LaBanco SST 60 Class. I don't know the year, OPC Nationals
MN

MN1
04-11-2007, 06:06 PM
Kim Jernigan in I believe SST 120 class. OPC Nationals, year is unknown.
MN

Master Oil Racing Team
04-18-2007, 08:07 AM
Here's a couple of shots from a carousel I found. Ted May seems to be pondering something. Billy Seebold is in the background in the orange and blue tunnel.

Miss BK
04-19-2007, 05:19 AM
Brad tells me that the #3 boat behind Ted May is Charles Cannon from Ft. Worth in a Kitson Craft.

Master Oil Racing Team
04-19-2007, 07:09 AM
Thanks Miss BK. How about IDing these.

Smokin' Joe
01-09-2010, 10:15 AM
Don is your father-in-law!?

Great pics, Wayne~

1. #85 is Louis Collins in his white 16' Allison (not sure who is on the inside)

2. Not sure (could be Mike Cullen???)

3. woman (unknown)

4. #1223 Darrell Beaullier

5. #233 Could either be Sam Rochelle or Don Gautier (my father in law, Louis Collins bought this boat from Sam later)

Smokin' Joe
01-09-2010, 10:18 AM
That's not Ed's wife, but she was also very good looking (one could say that she was extremely good looking, but Ed might not like to hear that!).

The white SE boat is Ed Caudill from the dallas area I think.

Master Oil Racing Team
01-09-2010, 10:25 AM
Joe..Louis Collins is her father-in-law. She married to his son Brad. Don was at the Lone Star reunion with Tommy Posey and their wives.:cool:

Smokin' Joe
01-09-2010, 11:00 AM
Wayne, thanks for straightening me out! I saw Louis first time since 1985 at the AOMCI meet at Kingsland in Oct., then visited him and his wife the next day. Meatball Murray told me to call him beforehand, and I think this conversation ought to go down in history (I didn't identify myself beforehand:
'ring'
(Louis' wife answers, I don't tell her my name)
Louis: 'Yeah?'
Joe: 'You still cuttin' off anyone who tries to pass you on the outside?'
Louis (without hesitation): 'Much as I can.'
Joe: 'Then how about a Big Boy (Shonies)?'
Louis: 'That sounds better.'

It wasn't necessary to say my name, he knew me from the start, even after 24 years. I think it was Louis who coined the nickname 'Smokin' Joe' in 1977.

The mold for my 'bass boat' shown below was from an experinental XR-14 that Louis traded back to Darris Allison for a 20' boat for Havasu in 1979. I set the EP record with my XR-14 (I 'd towed both boats to Waco with Louis' van and double-deck traiuler in 1978) after setting the EP record in Waco in 1980. The 'fishing boat' runs 41.5 mph 2-way avg., also over 41 mph upwind, with a rebuilt 1983 35. It's not a König but it's fun, especially with tiller handle!

Joe..Louis Collins is her father-in-law. She married to his son Brad. Don was at the Lone Star reunion with Tommy Posey and their wives.:cool: