PDA

View Full Version : Mercury Twister IIX

MERCMAN
10-26-2008, 07:50 PM
Here is a link to a short video which was filmed in October 2008 of a ON tunnel fitted with a Mercury Twister IIX.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=iQd7Wa378wE

I trust you will enjoy a blast from the past.

MERCMAN.

Mark75H
10-26-2008, 08:31 PM
That is GREAT! Thank you! :):):)

mintominto
10-27-2008, 05:23 AM
Super!!!

Lee Motorsports
10-27-2008, 11:42 AM
Obviously a friend of Guy Hanson's. Great video.

MERCMAN
10-27-2008, 03:58 PM
Thanks for your kind words boys.
No, I'm not a friend of Guy Hanson, I've only spoken to him on the phone a couple of times and swapped a few emails. I hope to meet with him soon when he gives his BP a run.

Not too long ago, I learnt that Guy Hanson was giving his T IIX a shake down during the week. I phoned another fellow (David) who I know in Melbourne and I asked him to drop everything and go down to the lake and take some footage of Guy running his boat. The result is now on YouTube.

My name is Guy as well. I live in Sydney (about 9 hours drive from Melbourne) and I've been a MERCMAN since I was a boy.
The Twister IIX is possibly the "Keystone" racing motor out of all the manufacturers? It has a very special part in Outboard Racing history in my opinion.

Kind regards from "down under".
MERCMAN.

Mark75H
10-27-2008, 04:49 PM
I'd say a better candidate for "keystone" is the Evinrude X-115

Watermark11
10-28-2008, 05:36 PM
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=iQd7Wa378wE

I trust you will enjoy a blast from the past.

MERCMAN.

MERCMAN, it's music to the ears of those who raced them - and watched them - run "back in the day". Thanks for posting.. and keep having fun!

MERCMAN
10-28-2008, 06:24 PM
Hi Watermark11,
That's exactly why I asked my friend Dave to capture the footage of this unique motor. Us old guys have to get our thrills somehow!!:D

MERCMAN.

STV_Keith
10-29-2008, 07:24 AM
Great footage. How are your timing belts holding up? My dad has a T2x on a 16' Allison and every time he runs it, it stretches or breaks the timing belt.

J. Sherlock
10-29-2008, 07:39 AM
Great footage. How are your timing belts holding up? My dad has a T2x on a 16' Allison and every time he runs it, it stretches or breaks the timing belt.

Check for drag, the belt should not be a problem, bad bearing etc.

T2x
10-29-2008, 10:20 AM
MERCMAN, it's music to the ears of those who raced them - and watched them - run "back in the day". Thanks for posting.. and keep having fun!

Mark:

Time is passing again bro!...we gotta get together next summer....

T2x

Watermark11
10-29-2008, 11:12 AM
Mark:

Time is passing again bro!...we gotta get together next summer....

T2x

Yes T2x, we absolutely do.. If I could figure out how to adapt that 2 litre powerhead John has for sale onto a CCC mid and gear case, I think the Moly might see water again..

Little chance that my CCC will ever run - at least not in it's current form. Looks original though! Maybe you can tow me around with that over-powered (or should I say very well-powered) wing of yours!

Mark75H
10-29-2008, 03:20 PM
Check for drag, the belt should not be a problem, bad bearing etc.

I agree. Those belts do not break by themselves. I have some motors over 50 years old running on original belts.

STV_Keith
10-29-2008, 04:17 PM
They all stretch and then will eventually break. One of his powerheads even had some make shift tensioner on it that someone built to try to keep the belt useable. I have one of his here that is stretched - has a hot spot or whatever in it, where it's started to elongate and got thinner. This belt has metal cords in it too. Just old.

He's not the only one that has had this problem. Do you guys have extra belts down there?

J. Sherlock
10-29-2008, 07:17 PM
Time must be the key (age). The belt was not a problem in the old days. Be it drag or belts, it sounds like time is playing tricks on you.

STV_Keith
10-29-2008, 08:14 PM
Exactly, not a problem back in the day. Seems to be a big problem now though. There's a big thread on S&F of people who need belts.

Mark75H
10-29-2008, 08:52 PM
How freely does the distributor shaft turn? With a quick snap it should continue a bit, not stop in half a turn or less. Good bearings turn real easy in them.

Woodduck
10-30-2008, 02:18 AM
Guy has been chasing spare belts for a while now, think he even tried to get some made. This is a picture of one of his other boats, racing last year.
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p72/woodduck-1967/gmartini.jpg

largecar91
10-30-2008, 05:15 AM
I better get my couple spare nos belts insured!!!! :D:D

baldad45
11-04-2008, 10:51 AM
Just wondering what timming and jetting you were running before and what you changed too ?Which carbs are you using TC-3A or TC-3B ? I have a T-ll that I haven't run in ten years that I want to get running. All our gas now has 10% ethonal ,what were you using ? Great video, we need more like that! Glen :)

Mark75H
11-04-2008, 04:38 PM
Merc did not recommend pump gas for TII and TIIX's ... they recommended AV gas ... which does not have ethanol

guy hanson
11-04-2008, 11:23 PM
Hi, Sam is right of course! we are using AV GAS but i beleive it is no more than 100 Octane here, now low lead, as opposed to high lead many years ago, i think the higher lead fuel was around 105 octane, much better for pre ignition problems. We are running about 19 deg advance and jets are bigger around 0.098" i try to not load the motor too much as this is when it likes to melt no. 5 piston which seems to run with slightly more temp and ignition avance. Actually the motor runs very well but not making full power, i would think it is running about 90% power but it keeps going now so thats better than the other option! ithink the carbies I have are the A model as they only have the single transfer tube. Thanks for all the positive comments, I think we will do sum more clips, so will let you know!! Good luck gwtting the T2 going it will be fun!

baldad45
11-05-2008, 11:27 AM
Thanks Guy for the responce , I used avgas in the past but its getting hard to get legally. I used to just drive out to the airport and get 100 gal. ,a few years ago they wouldn't even sell me 5 gallons.I know a few people with light planes so I'll have to get some out the back door.Love the sound of these engines,I'm sure everyone is looking forward to somemore clips .Thanks again and keep that baby going,Glen!:):)

Mark75H
11-05-2008, 02:58 PM
Switch airports, there is no legal restriction.

T2x
11-07-2008, 05:59 AM
Yes T2x, we absolutely do.. If I could figure out how to adapt that 2 litre powerhead John has for sale onto a CCC mid and gear case, I think the Moly might see water again..

Little chance that my CCC will ever run - at least not in it's current form. Looks original though! Maybe you can tow me around with that over-powered (or should I say very well-powered) wing of yours!

There has to be a CCC Powerhead avaialable someplace......... If not I am sure Sherlock could adapt the 2 litre......or you could simply re-rig it with a Merc.:eek:

T2x