PDA

View Full Version : Minnesota Boat Racers

Tim Chance
11-03-2008, 07:09 AM
This is a photo from Steve Wilson taken August 1, 1981 showing some Minnesota boat racers from the 1960's. One of the group is still racing. Want to try and put names to all the faces??

I'll come back in a day or two and name the whole group.

It's been a couple of days.

Clockwise from top left: Steve Wilson, Son of Floyd Wilson, Nephew of boat builder George Wilson, ran A Runabout. Del Compton, an Engineer at Honeywell and ran a then new 75-H on a Wilson cabover. Wally Roman, an entire book could be written about Wally, mentor to many kids that were starting their racing career. Wally worked at Scott-Atwater on the “Green Hornet” project, a class B racing engine. When asked by Mr. Scott or maybe Mr. Atwater why he raced a Champion Hot, Wally honestly answered because the Scott wasn’t any good. Mike Franck, Mike ran D Alky then, and runs D mod today. Jim Nash. Al Crary, his son, Lloyd ran B Hydro and Al worked for Lyle Swanson (Swanson Hot Rod) and was Commodore of Midwest Power Boat Association. Stan Doseth, Stan ran C and D, best remembered for his skill with an Ashburn Runabout. Hank Franck, father of Mike, and a respected boat driver in his own right. Floyd Wilson, father of Steve and a fierce competitor with a George Wilson built D Ben-Hur. Art Welsh, another C-D Driver, won man-a-race with a DeSilva Runabout.

champhotrod
11-03-2008, 05:10 PM
I see Mike Franck in the back row.

Wally Roman??

Cooper

Master Oil Racing Team
11-04-2008, 06:54 AM
How's about this for a try.

Front row: Art Welsh, Floyd Wilson, Stan Dotseth ?Carl Eids?.

Middle: Hank Franck (Mike's Dad)

Back row: ???, Del Compton, Wally Roman, Mike Franck

It helps to have a little info in your archives.:D

one eight-w
11-07-2008, 06:03 AM
Back row first on the left=Leyde

Tim Chance
11-07-2008, 08:07 AM
I added the names to the original post.

leadpencil
11-11-2008, 04:04 PM
Hi, I am Stan Dotseth's daughter, that picture was taken at my parents home in 1981. You have gotten all the names correct. My dad ( Stan) still lives in that same house with my mom. Dad just turned 86 in October. I was his # 1 fan and pit man (girl). I could lift those boat with the best of them and also took the infamous Ashburn runabout for a solo spin when I was 19 yrs old. Dad went out in the boat with me first and we made about 4 laps around, then he let me take it out on my own, with a big old screaming D Merc engine on the back. Only thing he forgot was telling me how to shut it off when I came into the pits. He was real worried about that and was down on his hands and knees on the dock motioning me to shut if off, but he didn't have to worry, I had been around racing for so long I knew where the kill switch was, Lucky for me huh? It's fun to talk about the old days, we had so many races with Midwest Power Boat Assoc, every weekend both saturday and sunday. Maybe saturday in Minnesota and the next day in Iowa. Fred Petter sure could get us the races. Those were the good old days, now my son Joe Franck is following in his Grandpas and dads footsteps. I love to cheer him on now. Till next time, Sharon Dotseth Kalmen

leadpencil
11-11-2008, 04:06 PM
I forgot , that is Al Crary in the front row, father of Loyd Crary.

Master Oil Racing Team
11-11-2008, 07:38 PM
That's a great story Sharon. I knew and raced with some top of the line racers from Minnesota, but the Hey Days of the races Fred Petter promoted were before my time. I do have, however, a few issues of Midwest Power Boat Association publications from those days that Johnny Dortch sent me. I will try to get some of the articles posted here soon.

Tim Chance
11-12-2008, 08:48 AM
I forgot , that is Al Crary in the front row, father of Loyd Crary.

Sharon, You're right. Al was the father, Lloyd the son, there was also a daughter, Beth. Beth was married to another Minnesota boat racer, Pete Kroll. I was Best Man at their wedding.

I'm going to correct my original post, thanks.

See you and some of the others at the USTS race at Winona this next summer?

Master Oil Racing Team
11-12-2008, 09:23 AM
Here are a few items from the pages of Outboard Racing MODIFIED, the official publication of the Midwest Powerboat Association. It is the November 1962 issue.

Master Oil Racing Team
11-12-2008, 10:02 AM
Some more from MODIFIED.

Master Oil Racing Team
11-12-2008, 10:14 AM
How's about this?

leadpencil
11-12-2008, 12:07 PM
Thanks for the pictures from the Modified magazine, my x mother in law Marj Franck in the top picture and then my mother is in the picture looking over the years photos. Fred Petter standing across from her. Great to see these, I will have to show them to my dad. Sharon

leadpencil
12-03-2008, 08:23 PM
Just any FYI for Tim Chance, both of these x boat racers live near me, Jim in Rosemount Mn, and Hoppy in Bloomington Mn. Unfortunately Jim Greenley had a stroke some time ago, but is doing better.. Sharon Dotseth

sal29
09-04-2010, 10:08 PM
My Dad Art Welsh is the first guy in the front row!! How fun to see this picture. I remember fondly going to the races. After my Dad retired from active racing we had a runabout with a quicky(no horns anymore) at our cabin for many years. I took many rides in it with my Dad and many races as he beat any and every boat on the lake that challenged him. It was a much wilder ride when he decided to race someone with me in the boat. Still have all his trophies at the cabin and some parts too. The last remains of his boat went a few years ago:)

Dianar
04-29-2015, 01:11 PM
I just saw the picture, I wasn't able to login -

thank you so much. I miss my Uncle Bud very much