PDA

View Full Version : Miss Wahoo

carl lewis
11-11-2008, 09:44 PM
Hi all,
sorry I have been away for some time but Ive been a bit busy with a new project... try the link below for pics and updates....

www.misswahoo.com

Carl

P.S. happy birthday Wayne....see ya at the kilo's ?

Master Oil Racing Team
11-12-2008, 08:32 AM
May Be Carl. Joe Flow and Vapor Trail Racing have it on the agenda. Depends on how the project goes through the next couple of months with tests. Been set back a little in dealing with new engines and blown engines, but now is the time to regroup and go forward. J Dub's 6 cylinder looper certainly will be a major draw to make the trip.

That's a really fine project you have going. I was wondering.....with all those guys helping you.....was that a photo op for something they were running for?;):D

carl lewis
11-28-2008, 11:41 AM
Hi guy's,
a update for you the Wahoo is coming along well all of the frames are in the hull and the bottom pieces are cut to fit so today we are fairing frames for the non-trip and air traps hoping to have them in place by tuesday or so. all of the bottom battons are cut and dry fit to the hull as well. this is a really fun project to be involved in, but quite a bit of work compaired to building an outboard hull. see updates from the link on the first post.

Carl

Fast Fred
12-01-2008, 06:50 AM
what about the Moda?:cool:

Roy Hodges
12-01-2008, 12:57 PM
what about the Moda?:cool:......................................
what it had ? An Allison ?

Fast Fred
12-02-2008, 04:37 AM
ya Allison, cuzz you gots to get the Wahoo back in it.:cool:

carl lewis
12-05-2008, 05:22 PM
Hi guy's

Yes the hull will have an Allison in it when finished.

This week we were able to get quite a bit done on the boat . The non-trips and sponson air traps are on and completed as well, Today Larry and I have been working on the sponson gussets and frames, should have them all done Sat or Sun. and ready for sponson runners ( battons). Most likly we will work on the bottom to get it on before we hit the sponson's to much.
Thats it for now.... check the web site for cool new pictures.....

Regards,
Carl

Roy Hodges
12-05-2008, 07:06 PM
Do you know if there was ever a bigger Allison made ,than the V-1710 ? Many years ago, I had thought I'd read about a v-16 version made , but maybe that was just a pipe dream , because i've NOT read anything like that for at least 20 years .Recent reading up on the Allison engine said that the Allison got a "bum rap" during WW 2 , because that Allison , before the war had , with turbocharging , produced as much as 3000 horsepower , with
water injection. The U.S. never used Nitrous oxide during WW2 , even though the jerries & the brits did . I remember reading in Powerboat mag. back in early 80's ,i think , that the Atlas van lines w/ griffon & nitrous ,that Bill was puttin' out maybe 4000 horses ,when "on the button" . And he was ALWAYS on the button . Bless his heart .

carl lewis
12-16-2008, 09:02 PM
Hi all,
an update for you on the Wahoo....

Things are progressing quite well here as we have 90% of the bottom down and the sponson battens are being glued in place. Depending on when the snow will arrive (tonight or tomorrow) we should be able to finish the bottom glue and screw job and a few more battons then progress to the inside airtraps and front spoiler. I'm not sure how current the pictures are on the web site but there should be a few newer one's to look at.

This has been one fun project to be employed at, it has progressed so quickly from a jig with no wood to being so close to having it right side up and installing hardware.

to answer a question we will be using a 1710 Allison V-12, though it would be nice to have a Rolls Griffion it was not what the hull had back in the day.

The last hull to use a griffion would have been the 1980 Miss Budweiser driven by Dean Chenowith and later by Jim Kropfeld. After this hull ran as the Bud in '85 it continued on with other ownership until 1990 and then restored at the museum to the origional Budewiser colors

regards, Carl

scott5sp11
12-20-2008, 03:01 PM
Carl, The last Budweiser to use a Griffon was the 85, 86 bubble Bud. It had a canopy. I was the last person to drive this boat in competition in 1986. The boat now belongs to Mike Eacrett, and it is in Seattle. Mike has a Budweiser prepared Griffon, it would be a neat restoration. Maybe someday. Take care, Scotty Pierce

carl lewis
07-14-2009, 03:46 PM
Well race fans......

11 months ago we started the Wahoo project and today the boat ran in Seattle in Lake Washington, great results and a good running motor and hull.

we were not really looking at speeds but to show Mr. Boeing "his" new boat on the water, also in attendance was Mira Slovak, the driver of the origional boat.

Great day there will be many pictures posted on the web someplace you might try miss wahoo.com

Regards, Carl

P.S. guessing about 130 mph for the second pass.... way cool !!!!!

Fast Fred
07-15-2009, 03:25 AM
4 valves per cyl, an Aluminum Moda. how many cubes is that? is it charged?
:cool:

is it hooked right to the prop shaft? or is thare a crash box or some thing for neutral in line?.:cool:

AZOutlaw
07-15-2009, 07:33 PM
Video of "Wahoo" from Local Press......:D

http://www.kirotv.com/news/20062486/detail.html

stickmann
07-16-2009, 12:58 PM
I was there and witnessed the festivities and the maiden voyage. What a work of art! The builders should be proud of the meticulous work they did. I bought a U-77 Miss Wahoo hat; Mira Slovak graciously autographed it for me.

Allen J. Lang
07-19-2009, 09:28 AM
Jeff- Once again many thanks for posting the link to the run.:D
Ye Olde Desert Geezer :cool: