PDA

View Full Version : Beloit, Wisconsin 1970 Stock Nationals

Ron Hill
01-12-2009, 11:26 AM
Beloit Jayceess and Pabst Blue Ribbon were the sponsors...39 years ago!!!

How many of these racers are still at it???

Ron Hill
01-12-2009, 11:29 AM
Powerboat magazine's ad...The C Hydro is Joe Schulte. The runabout is Jimbo McConnell...Bubble shield, always, in a Hill BU!!!!

Bunker Hill
01-12-2009, 12:45 PM
Jimbo's trademark, bubble shiels!
Note: Life jacket by Laura Hill!

Bunker

arcticracer
01-13-2009, 10:52 PM
The Nationals in Beloit were the last race for myself, brother Mark, and my Dad. Mark and I did not want to quit but the decision had been made. Sold off all the equipment.

Dad (Dale Powell) had retired from CU and DU and was running AU at Beloit. Mark and I were in JU and JSH.

Got into motorcycle racing a couple years later, off road.

KG4
02-09-2009, 05:02 PM
Great pictures from the haydays of stock racing.Back when they had to run 10 elims in A hydro:eek:Good stuff thanks for sharing

Wayne#96ce
02-09-2009, 06:13 PM
Wow great to go over that list of names some who I knew and many who I only knew of.One of the names really stands out for me though Eric Wolff many a fun campfires & he attended most canadian races.He was a special breed,Wendy his girlfriend kept him in check well.Kind of like the James Dean of boatracing,left us way to young. RIP 19N

Master Oil Racing Team
02-09-2009, 06:58 PM
I go along with what Wayne of the "eh TEAM" said about that roster. I recognized a lot of names. That must have been some trials...and lots of memories from those days....of even getting to the finals. We had no stock racers in Texas during the whole time I raced, and I never went to a stock race. They were too far away. At Lakeland and Yelm, plus the several kilos we ran were the only times I was around the stockers. Yet I was very surprised to see how many I had actually met, how many I knew, and also how many were friends. Some of it was because of the APBA conventions, but there were a lot of crossovers. John Schubert and Jeff Hutchins are a couple that comes to mind. Cool post of the roster Ron.:cool:

David Mason
02-10-2009, 10:56 AM
I saw Vic Brinkman in the roster, he still races. Still builds props for stock,mod and pro. I saw his new ride the other day for the Grass Lake Stock Nat's this year.

DeanFHobart
03-27-2014, 10:32 AM
I was there in ASH.... Hedlund. There were Beer Gardens about every 100 feet or so, right in the middle of the pits. Of course, no boat racers were drinking beer until after the racing ended for the day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And I'm still in a boat..... This year C-Mod Hydro and 302SS Hydro.

Best Regards to all,

Dean Hobart..........................................

smittythewelder
03-31-2014, 11:31 AM
How did you make out that weekend, Dean? Tell us a story!

Tim Weber
03-31-2014, 12:36 PM
That race was one of the highlights of my boyhood. I was 7 years old.

There was this guy driving a boat, 19-C was the number. It was called the " Bounty Hunter ". It ran real fast and won the race.
He was one of my early boat racer hero's.

Ron Hill needs to post some pics of that awesome DSR. Ron had that thing running like a controlled disaster waiting to happen. I watched the race standing next to Harold Berghauer, Russ Hill Sr. and my grandpa, Bill Leutner.

CSR was an awesome race. Henry Menzies eeked out a win against Dick Rummel. Dick was faster but nobody was going to win that day but Henry.

There has to be some pics of that week somewhere.

Tim

Ron Hill
03-31-2014, 02:54 PM
My dad didn't make it to Beloit, 1970, he was there in 1960. Cooper Jess had the video of the D Race and he sent me a copy.....I don't have a VCR anymore, but I'll get Dave Bryan to help me. My dad and built the Bounty Hunter and traded for a couch for my house. I borrowed the boat back to win the Nationals. The only race I ever drove the boat in was the Nationals. I had built several boats just like it, I knew my props, I knew my motor....and I had confidence in myself!

Tim Weber
04-01-2014, 05:18 AM
I could have sworn your Dad was there. I guess I got confused with another nationals.

Tim

Ron Hill
04-01-2014, 09:35 AM
Tim:

Carl Myers was always my number one fan and crew. He went to Beloit just to help in the pits. He owned "MY" Quincy "A". He had three 20-H's and two B Runabouts. He's set both rigs up at our local races. He's test them, and take the one he wanted. Then, I'd take the second out fit and win.

Carl was like a brother. He quit the fire department to be a full time gardener.

He and his wife were pulling my boats to Beaver Falls, PA, 1965, when they were hit head on by a sleeping driver. Almost killed them both.

Probably Carl, not my dad, that you were thinking about!

That Carl raking leave in our yard!