PDA

View Full Version : 1972 Alky Mationals

Bob Rusnak
01-14-2009, 09:41 AM
I found some old footage in Super 8 mm film of the 1972 Alky Nationals in Depue, Ill. I had it converted to a DVD format and had sound added to it. There are some shots of all the famous drivers of that era, Fushlin, Walgrave, Kirts, Michelini, Anderson, Fales and the list goes on. Plenty of Loopers, Mercury's, Anzani's etc. It is in color and about 30 min. viewing time. The quality is good for film that old. I have several available for $19.00 + shipping. This is a great piece of Racing History. I will be showing it at the Eastern Outboard Racing Club Banquet this weekend. If interested contact me eather E mail or PM. Thanks Bob N-96

Ron Hill
01-14-2009, 12:06 PM
Can you show us a few "Teaser" pictures???

Bob Rusnak
01-14-2009, 03:12 PM
Hi Ron, I know how to post pictures but not a DVD. I have some still pictures taken at the same race and can post a few. I will be showing this DVD at the Eastern Outboard Racing Club banquet on Sat. night. Thanks for the interest, it is a piece of boat racing history. I have sent out quite a few, maybe some one who has a copy can identify the driver in a kneel down "F" hydro (looks like a Marchetti) with a 6 Looper?....Thanks Bob N-96

Ron Hill
01-14-2009, 03:39 PM
Actually, I have several DVD's with boat racing pictures on them, and I DON'T know how to post them either...

We at BRF always welcome all pictures...

geodavid
01-14-2009, 04:19 PM
Hey Bob,

I'd like one too. Any shots of the A runabout race. Know a guy that got pretty lucky.
Please let us know how we can get copies?

Alan Ishii geodavid@pacbell.net

Gene East
01-14-2009, 04:58 PM
I believe the driver of the F-Hydro is Dean Wilson Sr.
Like Alan, I'd like a copy,I'll contact you via e-mail

Bob Rusnak
01-14-2009, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the information, trying to identify all the drivers. That was an impressive rig, all those stacks comming out the back of that "small hydro". Eather E mail me or PM and give you the information. I will have some more copies made. Thanks for the interest...Bob N-96

F-12
01-14-2009, 06:46 PM
I'd like a copy of that one myself. The guy that Alan is talking about that "got lucky" wasn't luck at all..............he was just fast.

Bob Rusnak
01-14-2009, 06:59 PM
I'd like a copy of that one myself. The guy that Alan is talking about that "got lucky" wasn't luck at all..............he was just fast.

I am shure he was fast, he did win another Nationals after that one. Send me a E mail of PM and I will foward the information about the DVD to you. I will have another set made tomorrow. Thanks for the interest,,,,Bob Rusnak N-96
vindiver@yahoo.com

Jeff Lytle
01-14-2009, 07:01 PM
I found some old footage in Super 8 mm film of the 1977 Alky Nationals in Depue, Ill. I had it converted to a DVD format and had sound added to it.

So there's no sound? What was dubbed in, Music?

I could but this up on BRF if any of you are game..........We'll let Bob sell a few hundred copies 1st :D

Jeff Lytle
01-14-2009, 07:03 PM
Does ANYONE out there have any movies of footage of loopers with sound that we could put up here?

racnbns
01-14-2009, 08:07 PM
Does ANYONE out there have any movies of footage of loopers with sound that we could put up here?

I have a video of the 2man runabout with sound. I also have a tape of the sound of the SIX. Maybe the sound and no pic and we could all listen and DREAM!

Thanks again for doing my avatar.

Bruce

Bob Rusnak
01-14-2009, 08:08 PM
So there's no sound? What was dubbed in, Music?

I could but this up on BRF if any of you are game..........We'll let Bob sell a few hundred copies 1st :D

Looking over the origional post, I quoted 1977 Nationals from Depue. Actually it is the 1972 (miss typed) Nationals from Depue. It was origionally shot on super 8 mm film. When the DVD was made it was inhanced with music of the time. It is some rare footage of this event. Thanks Jeff for bringing this to my attention. If any one has any quentions of this DVD please contact me. The 1977 Nationals were in Hinton WV.......Thanks all Bob

Tim Chance
01-15-2009, 08:31 AM
Bob - I want a copy too, I'll e-mail you. And, I have a cassette audio tape of these same Nationals when I was doing Hydroplane Quarterly. I would report the race on tape (with the motor noise in the background) and write the article when I got home. I need to go to the Good Will or Salvation Army store and see if I can get a cassette recorder and if the tape still plays. I also have the Hydroplane Quarterly with the '72 Nationals article. - Tim

Bob Rusnak
01-15-2009, 09:21 AM
Bob - I want a copy too, I'll e-mail you. And, I have a cassette audio tape of these same Nationals when I was doing Hydroplane Quarterly. I would report the race on tape (with the motor noise in the background) and write the article when I got home. I need to go to the Good Will or Salvation Army store and see if I can get a cassette recorder and if the tape still plays. I also have the Hydroplane Quarterly with the '72 Nationals article. - Tim

Hay Tim, wouldn't it be great if the sound tape was added to the film. It would be a big effort to coodinate ite sound with the footage. I will have another DVD made for you today. I will pull out HQ and look over the article. Thanks Bob

Tim Chance
01-15-2009, 09:46 AM
Bob, I just sent you an e-mail - Tim

John (Taylor) Gabrowski
01-15-2009, 08:03 PM
Tim:

I am being asked periodically if and when someone will put a picture clip on Youtube with a Flathead running along with its sound, of course! Is there any way you can transfer a copy of your video and sound on there. Many readers are trying to imagine its sound because frankly there is nothing like a 6 cylinder Flathead's sound running flat out and everyone has the impression its wild enough to scare most into running away from it! I subscribe to that notion completely! Describing it is one thing and hearing it is fullfillment! Can you provide such a treat? :)

Bob Rusnak
01-15-2009, 08:16 PM
Hi John, Bruce Summers has a video of his six cylinder Looper with all the sounds. Try contacting Bruce on this, I am shure he can help.....Bob N-96.

John (Taylor) Gabrowski
01-15-2009, 09:27 PM
Thanks for that information. I sure will do. :)

geodavid
01-29-2009, 08:46 AM
Thanks Bob,
I have one of the DVD's. Anyone who raced in the 1970's really needs one of these. This was more or less the last hurrah for the loopers. There are shots of Fred Hauenstein, Rich Fuschlin, Lee Sutter, Wayne Walgrave, Billy Jack Rucker, Howard Anderson, Pete Voss, Jim Gohery and even me. Also pictures of racers no longer with us, like Dick S., Bob H. and Bill Fales. Great pictures of the big 6 cylinder loopers for which I know there is much interest. You gotta have this!
Thanks Bob for the hard work and for sending me the DVD.
Also liked the 1977 Hinton Nationals. The highlight is Bob looking oh so cool before his buddies roll him into the drink. Lots of excitement over a great win for Bob in 250 Hydro. There were 44 entries. Shows what the FA Konig did for the class. Also can see how the boats were riding at that time. It is kind of scary the way Bob drove that Butts. There is always a great story behind every win and boy does Bob have a great one, however, I will let him tell it. Thanks for the great work on these DVD's!

david bryan
01-29-2009, 09:33 AM
Allan send me your phone # Ron and i will come by and have lunch its bin to long

John (Taylor) Gabrowski
01-29-2009, 10:36 AM
Bob:

Nice DVD. Seems that not only was that the waning days of the Flatheads but also the Konigs coming on real strong. What is also remarkable is the onslaught of pickelfork hydros too. It wouldn't be too long before everything went pickelfork hydro wise. Back in the 1960s around this neck of the woods and south the British Anzanis were that prolific in terms of entires but never 44 engtrees in any class though a couple dozen entries per class did happen and Flatheads were just about to come out. One short scene has a class F Chaparral with a Flathead on it ready to go. It is that very Chaparral I have here restored and in storage, a 13+ foot monster flatdeck hydro. The same color scheme was on it plus natural wood as when Wayne Walgrave drove it but now its bright red and blue. Me thinks its going to have to go back to original colors and finishes to.

Again, great DVD.

Some time soon in 2009 I am going to feed VHS Pro and Modified tapes into DVDs and then on a server for free downloads. A bit more history (and with sound) to look forward to. :)