PDA

View Full Version : Quincy Looper Videos..........WITH SOUND!!

Jeff Lytle
02-07-2009, 03:16 PM
Coming Soon!

Many, MANY thanks to Bruce Summers who mailed me a care package of VHS tapes of him testing, and racing his "D and a 1/2" Quincy Looper. These videos show him running his 1100ccH and 2 man 1100ccR in Depue, and at the AOMCI meet in Wisconson.

Hang on to your hats! I'm uploading three to you tube as I type this........Hopefully, I should have a teaser or two to post tonight! :D:eek::eek::D

Jeff Lytle
02-07-2009, 03:20 PM
Enjoy!! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czgClOp52-c

Danny Pigott
02-07-2009, 04:11 PM
That was great thank you.

Allen J. Lang
02-07-2009, 05:30 PM
They race all sorts of motorized sports on land that make NOISE, why can't we still run the Loopers, especially the 6s, as we do not run the same courses each week. The 6s have a scream of their own.
Jeff, this was a great tease. Keep it up.:D
Ye Olde Desert Geezer :cool:

Jeff Lytle
02-07-2009, 05:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2mJ2riB2kA

racnbns
02-07-2009, 07:07 PM
Hmmmmmm..........

Another one coming soon!

Thanks Jeff, fantastic job!

Bruce

Jeff Lytle
02-07-2009, 07:13 PM
Now you can stay up all night if you want! :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzddgAFPGlI

J-Dub
02-08-2009, 02:17 AM
Well race fans... No Looper at Oroville for me... Just not gonna get it done in time. These video's sure make the sting a little more painfull.
I will keep ya posted.

J-Dub

Original Looper 1
02-08-2009, 09:44 AM
33 - 99 WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paul

Jeff Lytle
02-08-2009, 12:33 PM
I'm doing the hydro and runabout vids over again, as well as a heat of 1100ccH that Bruce was in at the 89 Nationals.
I realized that while I was holding the camera taking the movies, I had my finger over the microphone!

I'll replace the new ones with the links I put on the 1st page on this thread when they are finished uploading. I'll then add the heat of 1100ccH afterwards too.

Gene East
02-09-2009, 06:07 AM
Thanks Jeff,

That really brings back memories, especially the runabout. That boat originally belonged to Wayne Walgrave and I was his deck rider in 71 or 72.

I actually drove that boat, (from the pits to inspection); not very far and not very fast true, but then how many deckriders ever drove a 6 looper.

In a related story, my daughter Emily was 18 before she ever went to an alky race. She had been to tunnell boat races and Mod races but never an alky race. She lived with her mother in Peoria about 70 miles from DePue.

I took her to the race on Sunday and as anyone who has ever been to DePue knows, the race course is right down town. The black flag is up until noon out of respect for church services.

Emily and I were visiting with Bruce in the pits when the black flag was dropped. The first alky engine Emily ever heard or smelled was Bruce's 6 Looper. Her eyes got big and as she sniffed the air, she had a puzzled look on her face. I smiled and told her " No Baby-girl,that's not gasoline"!

As we were leaving the races that evening she said, "That was great Daddy. Can we come back next year"?

Emily is now married and expecting her first child July 16th.

Do you suppose the baby will be too small to go to DePue this year??

Yeah, I guess so. We don't want him/her to be as deaf as Grandpa!!

David Mason
02-10-2009, 11:13 AM
Thanks Jeff,

That really brings back memories, especially the runabout. That boat originally belonged to Wayne Walgrave and I was his deck rider in 71 or 72.

I actually drove that boat, (from the pits to inspection); not very far and not very fast true, but then how many deckriders ever drove a 6 looper.

In a related story, my daughter Emily was 18 before she ever went to an alky race. She had been to tunnell boat races and Mod races but never an alky race. She lived with her mother in Peoria about 70 miles from DePue.

I took her to the race on Sunday and as anyone who has ever been to DePue knows, the race course is right down town. The black flag is up until noon out of respect for church services.

Emily and I were visiting with Bruce in the pits when the black flag was dropped. The first alky engine Emily ever heard or smelled was Bruce's 6 Looper. Her eyes got big and as she sniffed the air, she had a puzzled look on her face. I smiled and told her " No Baby-girl,that's not gasoline"!

As we were leaving the races that evening she said, "That was great Daddy. Can we come back next year"?

Emily is now married and expecting her first child July 16th.

Do you suppose the baby will be too small to go to DePue this year??

Yeah, I guess so. We don't want him/her to be as deaf as Grandpa!!

Gene, they are never to young to start into boat racing ! Just don't hang out in the hot pits as much with her ! I went for my first boat ride at 9 months old, Dad's 25MH back then. Wish I could remember it.

Do I see a engine making loud sounds in her near future... Grandpa ????? hint hint hint.

John (Taylor) Gabrowski
02-10-2009, 10:12 PM
I found some of these Quincy Flathead pictures amongst some of Jim Hallum's video work from Region 10, the USA's Morth West from 1959 to 1976. Enjoy the finds, I am still looking through the videos for more. :)

The following picture is an undentified class A or B Alky - Quincy Flathead 2 banger powered racing runabout of unknown make starting and taking off for the race course. Anyone know who was in this series of pictures?

Jeff Lytle
02-11-2009, 05:08 AM
Here's a link to the 1st heat at the 1989 PRO Nationals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIbyTPdBIFw

Jeff Lytle
02-11-2009, 05:15 AM
Quite a few of us have seen a video taken at Tomahawk from a different angle of this same run.

Here's the start up........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RyIjh6_94w

Sorry bout' the reflection of me sitting in the chair with the camera!

Gene East
02-11-2009, 05:42 AM
Norma and I had a "ghost" at our old house we called Sam. Thought perhaps he followed us when we moved!

Jeff Lytle
02-11-2009, 05:54 AM
BTW..........All the links have sound now :)

J-Dub
02-11-2009, 10:08 AM
YER KILLING ME!!!!! I am about to take the rest of the week off and finish the Looper for the Kilos next week! I just need 6 balanced rods and an overdrive Bass lower unit...

J-Dub

Dave_E71
02-11-2009, 07:29 PM
BTW..........All the links have sound now :)

I can still hear though..... :D

Jeff Lytle
02-11-2009, 07:42 PM
With the amount of screaming alky engines you and your entire family have been around, I'm surprised you ain't all deef!

J-Dub
02-11-2009, 08:36 PM
Huh?

Sturacer2
07-14-2009, 06:38 PM
Constantine AOMCI 2009
Dick Austins incredible trailer and running a 6 cyl Looper.

Sturacer2
07-16-2009, 08:03 AM
Trying to upload a compressed file of this vid. It's compressed but still too big for eMailing.
Stu

Mark75H
07-16-2009, 03:45 PM
If its too big to email, its too big to post here ... YouTube.com

Mark75H
07-16-2009, 03:50 PM
I've had a second thought about those boats ... I've never seen a period boat with a smoked plastic windshield. Anyone have a pic from the 1960's of a hydro with smoked plastic windshield to make this authentic?

Bill Van Steenwyk
07-16-2009, 04:58 PM
If you are asking about ANY boat from the 60's, yes there were some built with smoke color windshields. I had a C/D Alky hydro built by Larry Goff in '68 that was equipped with that type/color windshield.

Sturacer2
07-16-2009, 06:23 PM
This is smaller let's try it.

Mark75H
07-16-2009, 07:44 PM
You can't make it small enough, sorry.

Anything worth watching is worth putting on YouTube with a link directing people here for more info. Its the best advertisement we can do for the sport. Almost as good as getting it on prime time network TV

Master Oil Racing Team
07-17-2009, 05:29 AM
Here's a couple of pics off of the Roostertail covers. According to the caption on the inside, the first one is Jerry Waldman at Knoxville. The second is Dick Austin in 1966. The one Waldman is driving is clear, but it's hard to tell about Dick's. There might be a slight tint, but the shape is different.

Mark75H
07-17-2009, 05:48 AM
Waldman's boat looks like it might be a Ralph McDonald boat

Sturacer2
07-27-2009, 04:09 AM
Here's another still shot. Clips from the video I can't yet get right for posting or eMailing.

R Austin
07-31-2009, 11:55 AM
Boy you guys are picky. I replaced the windshields on the 2 boats and refinished them in the early 80's when I thought I might play with again. OK 25 years later there not original. I did however take care of the and the others for people to see and watch run. The back boat is a 1966 15' Jones, from the back< 1964 13' Jones, 1967 13' Jones, 1962 13' McDonald.

Mark75H
07-31-2009, 12:01 PM
You have done an EXCEPTIONAL job of keeping history alive for people to see and hear!

And thank you for dragging them around for so many people to see in person, I know what a chore that is in it self. :)

Any chance of hauling them to the Antique Raceboat Regatta next August in Clayton NY?

R Austin
07-31-2009, 12:08 PM
Waldmans pic is of his F hydro staright a way record run The boat is one he got from Hugh Enthrop. The rig in my cover is the boat and motor that I broke Waldmans record with. Which is the third boat back on the trailer and the motor is on the McDonald. Thats the original block that I found on E Bay. And confirmed by Gene East at Muskatine.

Gene East
08-01-2009, 09:33 AM
Boy you guys are picky. I replaced the windshields on the 2 boats and refinished them in the early 80's when I thought I might play with again. OK 25 years later there not original. I did however take care of the and the others for people to see and watch run. The back boat is a 1966 15' Jones, from the back< 1964 13' Jones, 1967 13' Jones, 1962 13' McDonald.

Dick, You're right! Some guys are very picky about details on restorations. One guy even checked with me because the judges at a show gigged him for having a blue tower housing on a restored looper rather than a black one.

Truth of the matter is we made a lot of them in primer, so why knock a guy for blue.

In your case, who cares what color the windshield is/was??
You have the finest collection of TRUE race boats I've ever seen. Plus you're the guy who drove them to fame and victory.

It was good to see you at Muscatine. Wish the water had been better so you could have made some eyes pop!

Jeff Lytle
08-08-2009, 08:44 PM
Taken at the AOMCI meet in Constantine Michigan.

Thanks to Stu Mills for this video!

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XHwMQUZGqB8&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XHwMQUZGqB8&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

Mark75H
08-10-2009, 12:11 PM
Quincy sound via Merc ... O.F. worked for Merc and developed the pipes Merc put on the famous 1250 BP race motors.

Here's a taste of that:

<object width="853" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/X7dw6YpMVSU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/X7dw6YpMVSU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>

The download below is all 7 of Dale Littlejohn's videos playing at once. This is what you would have heard at a race like Havasu or Parker in the old days. It is formatted to play in iTunes or on an iPod. Once it is downloaded, it should open in iTunes when you click on it.

R Austin
08-12-2009, 02:01 PM
Stu thanks for the footage and Sam thanks for getting on-line. I do however apologize for the extreeemly poor performance. It was probably the poorest running of an F that I've had. Poor fuel setup and fouled plugs. I have a clip that was taken in 08 of the looper running at its best that I will try to get on.
Thanks Again. It will run better at in Wisc the weekend of Sept 19 & 20

Mark75H
08-12-2009, 02:22 PM
Rich, I had some problems with old Merc ignition modules. They would start and run the motor, but didn't have good top end performance. I'm just racing, not showing so I switched over to new CDI modules.

I had almost forgotten how well a 6 cylinder Merc can start ... the new module made the motor run like a new late 60's early 70's Merc ... hardly any choke to start and all the top end you could hope for.

If nothing else comes up, try switching the module, I have some that work like new, but most don't ... even though they still produce spark

Mark75H
10-14-2010, 04:46 PM
via Steve Jones on Hydroracer.net

Master Oil Racing Team
10-14-2010, 06:31 PM
Look at all the spectators including the kids playing around on the trunk of the car in the foreground. That's the way it was back then. They were watching a spectacular showing of boats, but it seems like they were used to it. Now they'ed give their eye teeth for a video with sound to see that run again....and I'll bet the grown up kids would be first in line on the beach.:cool::D

R Austin
10-15-2010, 09:23 AM
Look at all the spectators including the kids playing around on the trunk of the car in the foreground. That's the way it was back then. They were watching a spectacular showing of boats, but it seems like they were used to it. Now they'ed give their eye teeth for a video with sound to see that run again....and I'll bet the grown up kids would be first in line on the beach.:cool::D

Video with sound was rare at that time. It is still interesting to see old photos pop up. thanks to Hydroracer for doing that. I do not recall that location.
I will be at Roar & Soar in Polk city Fl the 13 &14 of Nov. Plan to run both a Looper and a deflector.
With luck, maybe I can make it run good this time. Once or twice a year makes it tough.

RogerH
11-16-2010, 05:52 PM
I can't thank you enough for bringing your fantastic trailer load of liquid noise to Roar & Soar. So glad we had good weather and water conditions so you could run them both days. Great noise!!!!!!! Kermit Weeks was standing by me on Sunday when you went out. I explained a bit about the Quincy motors to him. He said he wondered what that "noise" was from. He could hear it from the hanger area on the other side of the property on Saturday. Good show!
Roger - Miss Windy H-909

Jeff Lytle
08-04-2012, 01:12 PM
<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/46917119?autoplay=1" width="598" height="424" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe> (<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/46917119?autoplay=1" width="598" height="524" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>)

BJuby
08-05-2012, 09:55 PM
absolutely and unbelievably sexy...

Want, want, want....

milkdud
08-07-2012, 09:05 AM
Was just going to post my video here. I see Jeff beat me too it.

Conrad

Mad Cat
08-09-2012, 02:58 PM
That soud still brings out chills ! Yikes !

John B.

Gene East
08-13-2012, 06:06 PM
What's not to like about the sound of a six-looper?

What's not to like about Dick Austin?

What's not to like about Bruce Summers/

I'm proud to call both of them "Friend"

I had a CD of Bruce Summers, Wayne Walgrave, and Dean Wilson Sr. all 3 racing F-Hydro at the same time. Walgrave won, but who cares?

You just heard one run, Imagine what 3 sounded like on a CD. Better still; if you've never been to a major race and heard even more "live and in person", you can't imagine what you missed.

I talked to Rich Fuschlin and Dick Austin at Depue. They both were advocating a vintage class of Runabouts and Hydros with nothing but 6-banger Mercs and Loopers.

From a spectator point of view, it makes more sense to me than Speeditwins & PR's!!

BTW: My CD no longer works. Bummer!!!!

R Austin
09-14-2012, 06:48 PM
Here you go Gene. A little footage or bites from Hillsdale. on the 7th. You will have to excuse the camera man, the noise scared him so bad that he lost his footing on the first lap. The engine sounded to good to edit out. It was the first run with Mikuni carbs. Set rich so was a little slow to clean out and a short straight. Was starting to get legs when I had to shut down. Blew a head gasket. It felt like something going so I brought in. Next try out it was lame. Never quits feeling good.
http://youtu.be/NNPxRvdAusA

Gene East
09-15-2012, 04:25 AM
Dick,

Thanks for posting this. I think my daughter Emily can relate to the cameraman's reaction to the SOUND.

Emily was born after I left Quincy Welding. She had never been to an "Alky" race until she was 18 although she had been to a number of MOD and tunnel boat races.

Her first encounter with an Alky burner was Bruce Summers' 6-Looper and she was perhaps 6 feet away from it. We were talking to Bruce on a Sunday morning at DePue.

As anyone who has been to DePue knows, the race course is 2 blocks from the heart of town. No testing is permitted until after ALL church services have concluded.

As soon as the black flag was lifted, Bruce fired that mutha up. Emily's eyes got as big as silver dollars and I noticed her sniffing the the air. She looked at me with a puzzeled expression after Bruce shut the motor down.

You're right "Baby Girl", that ain't gasoline!

Imagine what it must have been like for your first sounds and smells of an alcohol burning PRO racing engine to have been a
6-Looper!

At the end of the day, Emily wanted to know when we could go again.

BTW: What's with this electric start stuff?

Are young bucks with a rope hard to find, or are we just getting smarter as we get older??

I remember everyone teasing Raymond Jefferies for having an electric starter on a 590 Scott 40 years ago.

How things have changed. Even the 125's are started electrically.

John Schubert T*A*R*T
09-15-2012, 06:01 AM
Dick,

Sounds like it came ALIVE with the Mikuni carbs. Best yet, starts nicely with the electric start system.

J-Dub
09-18-2012, 11:05 AM
Here you go Gene. A little footage or bites from Hillsdale. on the 7th. You will have to excuse the camera man, the noise scared him so bad that he lost his footing on the first lap. The engine sounded to good to edit out. It was the first run with Mikuni carbs. Set rich so was a little slow to clean out and a short straight. Was starting to get legs when I had to shut down. Blew a head gasket. It felt like something going so I brought in. Next try out it was lame. Never quits feeling good.
http://youtu.be/NNPxRvdAusA

That was a motivating video! I will get back the Quincy project I have been working on.

J-Dub