PDA

View Full Version : Savannah Outboard Racing Association

Danny Pigott
03-03-2009, 06:01 PM
SORA. Put on PRO MOD AN OPC races at the Kings ferry bridge, highway 17 in Sav. GA. for many years. More to come

Danny Pigott
03-03-2009, 06:05 PM
More SORA

Mark75H
03-03-2009, 06:29 PM
Cool! I also like your avatar!

Master Oil Racing Team
03-03-2009, 08:12 PM
What I especially like is that Danny must be a packrat too.

Danny...I'm hoping you've got a bunch more. Seems like you have a lot more history to fill us in on. If you've been thinking about a scanner....they're not hard to learn how to use. You keep surprising me everytime you post something.:cool:

David Mason
03-04-2009, 11:26 AM
Next time we see you, could you fill dad in on how easy it is to work with computers... Lots of history between you tow, for sure.

Tell Mrs. Pigott thanks for the Catfish stew and jalapenos in Soddy Daisy that year at the Mod Nat's. We sure did learn home grown Jalapenos were hot !

Your avitar is what I remember you best by ! You were the only boat with a Z on it that we saw all the time !

David Weaver
03-04-2009, 03:27 PM
Cool! I also like your avatar!

I have some Danny Photo's from Charlotte that I will have to find. He was the man, back in the day. OK, OK, Danny you are still the man!!;)

Mark Poole
03-04-2009, 05:56 PM
My dad took me to almost every SORA race at Kings Ferry from 1970 to about 1976. We lived about 30 miles from there and went every summer. Saw dang near every kind of rig there over the years, twin engine tunnels, stackers, Quincy hydro motors, Champions, Konigs.

Some very rare stuff showed up there. Winged Allison tunnel owned by Harold Bateman, the Wild Geechee ran there at least once or twice. A Shultze tunnel with the latest Twister 2 ran there in '72. Local guy, last name was Miles owned it. He must have had a friend at Mercury!

Another boat that showed up here more than once, another Allison tunnel but it was not the pickle fork winged one. It was a shovel nose, very slick looking and was glass boat too. I have many color pics of those days, if I can get the pics out of the stick page albums I will have them scanned.

Ronny W.
03-07-2009, 08:42 PM
Danny you cant forget about Hazelhurst that was a other go race site back in the day.Have to get with my dad he has a lot of pic. from them days.I'v got some on my computer will put some up later.Do you rember where this on was taken at?

Danny Pigott
03-08-2009, 05:35 PM
Ronny i think that was Dayton Ohio early 80's In the photo left to right is me your dad Bloise and my dad Dan. Post more.

Danny Pigott
03-11-2009, 05:02 PM
SORA testing

Ronny W.
03-11-2009, 07:02 PM
Danny that wouldn't be Betsy Newnan (not sure on the spelling).Wasnt there another female that ues to run back then.Dad said he couldnt remeber.Heres another pic for you.Can you tell who that is with dad.it was taken at kings ferry on the other side of the bridge.

Mark Poole
03-11-2009, 07:29 PM
First race I saw there.....Big tunnel with twin Chryslers comes around the bridge turn, spits the driver out like he was shot from a cannon right in front of the crowd. Next, an Allison with a stock Chrysler rounds the turn, spins out and when the spray settles the engine is leaning almost horizontal on the transom. The guy did not bolt the engine on, used only the thumb screws!! Saw more than one race there when Allisons would out run tunnels.

Hey Danny, you remember a guy named Charlie Redmond? Had one mean running Quincy in line 6.

Mark75H
03-11-2009, 07:36 PM
Hey Danny, you remember a guy named Charlie Redmond? Had one mean running Quincy in line 6.
;) According to the name of the file above, I bet he does ... :D

Danny Pigott
03-12-2009, 11:18 AM
Yes that's Betsy, She was a pretty good driver. I think she was the first women to to qualify for the finals in the AM PRO hydro Div. in NOA. She did this at the NOA Nat's in 1970

Lil Stinker
03-12-2009, 11:44 AM
I hope this is OK I adjusted this PIC

Danny Pigott
03-14-2009, 03:42 PM
The pic of the blue Marchetti Hydro is facing a very old race site. This is the Ogeechee river in Sav. GA. Boat races were held here starting about 1962. If you look east from I 95 you are looking at the first turn the other turn was in front of Bloise Williams Marchetti. I drove my first race here around 62 driving my dads old Pabst B Hydro I still have that boat today. There were some great races here,I remember seeing cabover 6 Mercurys Konigs Cornpoppers an most anything else. On the other side of the bridge was Kings Ferry Sora Held races there starting in 1970. For awhile they had races in both places after a little disagreement withend the club.

Danny Pigott
03-27-2009, 05:16 PM
This was a sad time for SORA .Charles was Kill at a race at Kings Ferry.

Danny Pigott
04-06-2009, 05:09 PM
Early 70's Sav GA. Boat # F 007 Tom Cooler, I always though that was a cool # ,Boat #Z-1 Robert Pigott, F-121 Rick Glendye ,white boat Joe Denny. This is on the other side of the bridge from where the Marchetti is. Three Marchetti's an a Byers A lot more boats than this most of the time.

Danny Pigott
04-20-2009, 10:45 AM
Never let your brother drive your boat. Very bad crash another boat blew over in front of him on the start, and he could not help but hit it. Thank goodness no one was hurt. My brother Robert an I were talking about this yesterday.

Danny Pigott
04-28-2009, 09:48 AM
SORA Testing 1972, boat # F 21 is Troy Noonan this is what could be the first Marchetti Hydro build . I am not sure of this but that was I was told. I think C.D. Mitchell had it build in the early 60's. If someone knows more about it please tell it. F-64 is Betsy Noonan. F-7 Dan Holland.

Danny Pigott
05-04-2009, 07:56 AM
S.O.B.R.A. 72. Note, looks like a ScatCraft Tunnel.

mac19f
05-04-2009, 09:59 AM
I remember the day Charlie Lee was killed. That was one strong running 1350. I recall the wreck occurred between him and Sonny Lee???

There was an orange and white glass tunnel boat that may have been an Allison that I think belonged to Jerry Adams.

The Allison with the single stock Chrysler was probably the one owned by Larry Hartenhoff.

Mark Poole
05-04-2009, 01:24 PM
Yes, the wreck was between Charlie and Sonny. The impact was such that he was killed instantly. The rescue boat had to idle up along side him and a guy jumped in the Allison, pulled the kill switch and had to pry his fingers from the wheel.

White Allison tunnel with red/orange trim was Harold Bateman.

Blue and white Allison with stock Chrysler was Jerry Adams.

Ken Davis raced a Allison with a Chrysler stacker before switching to a Stinger GP. That was a very fast boat. He won the SV championship that year.

Old guy named Robert Hammontree did very well with a kit built tunnel and a Chrysler stacker.

Larry is still in the marine business. His shop is right down the road from me.

Danny Pigott
05-10-2009, 03:10 PM
I talked to Bloise Williams this weekend at Jesup GA. He said that the guy helping him rig the Marchetti in one of the above post in the blue shirt is Charlie Redmond. He has a lot of pics from the past maybe Ronny will post them.

Danny Pigott
06-01-2009, 04:37 PM
Kings Ferry Sav G.A. 1970. B MOD Hydro Pop Pigott Robert Pigott Juanita Nolan Pop's Sister

Lil Stinker
06-01-2009, 04:51 PM
Cleaned image

Danny Pigott
06-02-2009, 12:06 PM
AL. The boat on the left is John Slaughter's Challenger.It's gone now but i will put a pic of it's last days on here if i can fine them. The boat you saw at John's house in Fla. was his Fillenger (sp)

Danny Pigott
10-28-2009, 04:55 PM
Troy Noonan, a former SORA member gave me this pic at Jesup this weekend. It had to be at least 1973 due to that boat being my (73) B MOD Byers Hydro

Bob F19
12-20-2020, 08:10 AM
I drove B Hydro in the King’s Ferry Savanah races back in early 70s
Never beat Danny. Troy and Betsy Norman were big into it Blois and Danny Holland and TommyCooler F007
That was Hershel Miles from Hazlehurst Ga

Bob F19
12-20-2020, 07:31 PM
Troy Noonan, a former SORA member gave me this pic at Jesup this weekend. It had to be at least 1973 due to that boat being my (73) B MOD Byers Hydro

Great pic. There were also some guys from Jax also running at Sav’h Jim and Denny

Betsy Noonan’s beautiful hydro was built in Troy’s garage.

That same group ran at Hazlehurst Ga

The Dicky and Bill Carlisle Brothers ran pro and their very young sister ran a B hydro too

crewman060
02-20-2021, 08:11 AM
I drove B Hydro in the King’s Ferry Savanah races back in early 70s
Never beat Danny. Troy and Betsy Norman were big into it Blois and Danny Holland and TommyCooler F007
That was Hershel Miles from Hazlehurst Ga

Have not looked at this section in a while.The F007 was my father's number till he stopped racing and Tommy Cooler bought his equipment and kept running the number.