PDA

View Full Version : need to see pictures

fbref5269
03-07-2009, 06:52 AM
hi all,

it's tax season, i'm up to my butt with returns and listening to pink floyd. i need to see pictures from any race or antique outboard event. it's saturday, going to 75 today, monday we got 7 inches of snow and then temps in the single digits. ya gotta love maryland weather. so i amyone going to an event where noise will be heard? if so post some pitucres please, i needa break.

frank
collector of old stuff that was new when i raced

Master Oil Racing Team
03-07-2009, 08:34 AM
Well Frank....this is not from anything current, but I thought maybe it might do until someone else steps up. It is from the 2nd annual Jerry Waldman Memorial Invitational at Hot Springs in 1974. It was during testing and Charley Bailey (in the foreground) and I were towing in drivers that conked out. I'm having a memory lapse, but I think this is Jerry McMillan. Now, I'm off to San Antonio. Great listening. Can't say the same about working the numbers.

fbref5269
03-07-2009, 08:44 AM
thanks for the picture, it helped. have a safe trip to san antonio.

frank

jeff55vDSH
03-07-2009, 09:58 AM
I don't know if you've seen this before. One of my webpages with some photo scans of old racing programs. They're not very good photos. But maybe they'll help.
:)
http://jeff55v.tripod.com/id30.html

Good luck on your taxes.:mad:

fbref5269
03-07-2009, 11:09 AM
jeff,

those were the days, race in jeans, t-shirt, helmet nad a gentex jacket. you could feel the air on your arms.

listening to stevie ray vaughn. just finished a 'dancer's' return. never thought lap dancing was an art form.

frank

Gene East
03-07-2009, 05:51 PM
Frank,

Wish you lived closer. I'd let you do my taxes. Our appointment with our tax accountant is next Friday.

In case you haven't checked, that's Friday the 13th!

Master Oil Racing Team
03-07-2009, 07:46 PM
...I must apologize. I just got back from San Antonio and got on the computer. When I looked what I had written earlier about the Pink Floyd music and then about your number crunching....I realized it came out the wrong way. I am sure from your profession you know exactly what I meant, but I want to make it clear. Besides sales and fieldwork, I do the payables, insurance and contracts in our business. Without Quickbooks Pro, I would have no clue and even then I get furious every year at this time when they make changes. I am glad there are guys like you out there to do tax returns. This is like combine time for the farmers in our area where you work until the harvest is in. I can not imagine working numbers like that for hours on end, not to mention the outrageous amount of tax laws to contend with.:mad: It was with that in mind that I wrote that about working the numbers. I do wish you well in easing through that process, and am glad I can go to sleep knowing you will do it instead of me. :cool:

I like it when others share some of their job experiences. Ron was the one that got my attention with his travels and people he talked to on the way. Skoontz, Lars Strom, and some others have done some of that and I find it interesting. BRF is a good way to get away from the pressures of work. I don't know if you ever read "TWO YEARS BEFORE THE MAST" Frank...but it is an account of a 19th century accountant who signed on a sailing ship for two years because his doctor told him his eyes would be ruined if he didn't take a break. Great book.;):D

So here's another photo for your 9:00 p.m. break.

Master Oil Racing Team
03-07-2009, 09:19 PM
This is Charlie Bailey handing a rope to Rich Krier at the 1974 Hot Springs race. I can't imagine the terror Charlie would have ripped through the field with one of Rich's runabouts.

fbref5269
03-08-2009, 09:39 AM
i knew what you ment about the numbers. that's why i take breaks and look at the great pictures everyone posts here. and then i might work on one of the loopers or z's for a bit. i need breaks from crunching the numbers. it's guy like you posting the pictures that make the days fly by.

thank all of you for posting. now back to the crunching.

frank

Ron Hill
03-08-2009, 10:41 AM
I think that blue hydro with the in-laid wood is my old May-Craft. Sure looks like it around the transom and all...

Master Oil Racing Team
03-08-2009, 01:27 PM
The picture was taken at the Eastern Divisionals at Winona in 1974 Ron. At that time it was owned by Bill Profitt.

Skoontz
03-08-2009, 01:38 PM
Wayne:

As I read your post mentioning QB, I feel your pain. I have a 4" stack across my desk right bnow, and the top is 3'.5'x7' wide. I had a book keeper, and another, and yet another...From the ones who simply did not have a clue, to the one who argued with me as to why I should not waste time job costing when we finished work, I got rid of them all until we find one who does it the way we need it to be done. I simply hate accounting, but it is a necesaary evil.

These pictures Frank asked for, are a great way to relax under the pile....

JohnsonM50
03-08-2009, 03:15 PM
[QUOTE=fbref5269;69343]hi all,

it's tax season, i'm up to my butt with returns and listening to pink floyd. i need to see pictures from any race or antique outboard event. it's saturday, going to 75 today, monday we got 7 inches of snow and then temps in the single digits. ya gotta love maryland weather. so i amyone going to an event where noise will be heard? if so post some pitucres please, i needa break.

frank
collector of old stuff that was new when i raced

I woulda thought from your weather review you were in Jersey, Md.s close tho. Are ya goin to Mays this year?
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d151/mes355/test1.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d151/mes355/019-2.jpg

fbref5269
03-18-2009, 01:41 PM
thanks again for the pictures. sure is nice to look at them when i need a break!

here's a tax story if you will indulge me.... i have a client who i found out has AIG for their workman's comp insurance. i told them under no uncertain terms to get another carrier and when you cancel AIG tell them it's because of the $165 million in bonuses. the only way these greedy sobs understand is if you hit them in their pocket.

what does AIG stand for???? ain't i greedy:)

back to listening little feat(dixie chicken and old folks buggie) and taxes.

frank

Pete Nydahl
03-22-2009, 08:05 PM
Ron,that May boat came from my dad.Heres a pic from June 1972.He ran his 6banger and an OMC V-4 on it in the "X" class

Master Oil Racing Team
03-22-2009, 08:26 PM
It looks like that might be you Pete, washing the boat down. Is it?

Ron Hill
03-22-2009, 08:36 PM
That boat looked like my May Craft...It makes sense that Ted built that boat for Ray Nydahl....Seems, we should add this picture to the Ted may thread...Ted May was an amazing person!!!!

That plywood on the dash, was something we bought for like $1.99 a sheet for "SHORTY" at National Lumber....It was from China before everythingwas from China...but Ted Liked it...he would have made the bottom out of it, but they only made it in 1/8....

ADD: Alan Ishi is coming to Puddingstone, this weekend...I hope he bring some old pictures to post on BRF....

Vito Adragna and Ted built those boats in Vito's driveway!!!!

ADD:

Ray Nydahl and Ted may got along as if they were brothers. Ted was born in 1941, I often wonder when Ray was born....as people from the same ears seem to bond.........but the truth is, RAY was hard to NOT LIKE!!!!!!

Pete Nydahl
03-22-2009, 08:53 PM
Thats me,7 years old.Seems like I still wash the boats:confused:Great story Ron.Ray was born in 1931.They must have become friends back in the early OMC racing days.I think it was new in 1971

Ron Hill
03-22-2009, 10:47 PM
If you were 7 in 1971.....When Ted and I met your dad in 1966, you weren't very old...

I raced for Harry Bartolomei in 1967, Ted May had driven for him in 1966, Ted wasn't "FIRED" by Harry...It was really that the DeSilva boys liked me and I had the summer off from teaching. Ted didn't really work in those days, but he didn't like to be away from SoCal for very long...

When 1968 came around, I'd won Havasu in the fall of 1967 and won $8,500 in cash...I bought myself a "D" Konig for $1,000 and my dad bought me a "C" Konig...We'd ordered new boat for CU-DU and a a C-D R"ALKY" Runabout...but Ted "PLAYED" Poverty and talked me into a "D" Alky hydro...I really never like hydros, though I had won the John Ward Trophy Racer...and had about 5-6 seconds at Nationals in hydros...

So, my MAy Craft was built three years before your dad's....

Ted said he'd build the boat for $500, if I paid in advance....

When I got to DePue in 1968, I had never run my C-D DeSilva Runabout or my MayCraft C-D Hydro...I was pitted next to Ray Nydahl and Bruce Summers....I never knew they raced, I just thought they worked for OMC...I ended up with three seconds that year...

But I left DePue with two life long friends...Ray Nydahl and Bruce Summers...

Ray quit OMC, that next spring, I think...Our paths seldom crossed after that...

Master Oil Racing Team
03-23-2009, 08:01 AM
That was my first trip to DePue Ron. I didn't race that year. Nick Marchetti had built us a B hydro, a C/D hydro and a monster 13-2 F hydro. Nick built the boats then told my Dad to come to DePue to pick them up. My sister Brenda went with pit man Bud Turcotte and myself to go pick them up. We just watched the races, and I remember you from reading about you in the magazines. I think Rich Fuschlin was another name that I heard of but never saw in action until then.

At that point, we only raced Lone Star and N.O.A. The NOA rulebook had a rule that said drivers would be penalized if they raced in other than NOA sanctioned races if I remember correctly. After returning from DePue, I told my Dad that there were a lot of the NOA racers that we knew racing there. In those days the Lone Star crowd only went that far north for the NOA World Championships---no APBA races. I told him about all the boats and how many elimination heats there were, all the spectators, and he decided that we would race APBA as well. The first big race that came up after that was the Winternationals at Needles in 1969. So that was where I officially met you Ron. And I can tell you no young racer was prouder than me to be in a picture with Bob Hering, and that other one with you, Kay Harrsison and myself.

We first got to know Ray at the end of 1969...again I think at DePue. We installed the OMC CD ignition system Ray designed on all our motors and ran them all through the 1970 season. At that time my Dad and his partner Joe Hendricks had bought an OMC dealership in Corpus Christi and Clayton Elmer moved down from Highlands to run it. We were big fans of this ignition, but it was very erratic for us on the alky motors. We gave them all back to Ray after the last race at Alex in 1970. We remained good friends, and served on the racing commission together in the mid 70's and early 80's.

Jerry Peterson
03-23-2009, 08:55 AM
Pete.Your Dad had that May hydro prior to 1971.I remember driving it at Menomonie Wisc. on the 4th of July 1970.
Do you recall what you named that boat? It made Ray smile.

Pete Nydahl
03-23-2009, 09:04 AM
Wow! you remember that too.The name May sounded like mad,so I called it the MAD BOAT.