PDA

View Full Version : Somebody said: I do..??

vrunner79
03-20-2009, 10:59 PM
Ok Boys;
I have problems with a boat with 2.- 150 EFI MERCS 2002 port, 2003 stbd.
port engine doesnīt go more than 4K rpms, without triggering low oil reservoir alarm (small engine tank) and "engine guardian" drops engine speed.
Both engines are consuming oil, the exact rate, I ran the boat about 4 hours @ 3,500 (almost) rpm with no alarm (any) except fault trim, on both, since new, but I dont care about that, both tanks engine and boat had plenty of oil, no cracked caps, loose hoses, no loose magnet in reservoir, both harnesses were checked, no fried wires or broken, I did reset "Smartcraft gauges", and reprogramed every one, (port, station 1) left tach, (stbd, station 1) right tach, and speedometer, checked end caps on junction boxes, (one is missing @ console box), Obvious I asked "Mercury Marine de Mexico" for help, and the only thing I had by e-mail, was a wire diagram for non efi
V-6 :mad:
Does anybody knows or have an idea what the hell is going on with that engine?, a Brave one...??

Thanks in advance

Carlos Mayo :cool:

Fast Fred
03-21-2009, 03:11 AM
kink in the line, seen dead bugs clog the line. switch lines see if it moves to the other motor.

Bunker Hill
03-21-2009, 07:31 AM
Wrong type of fuel line??
Pat Bowman had a hell of a time finding out why his EFI would starve for fuel periodicaly. Turned out that the wall strength of the fuel line was not strong enough!! When the motor demanded more fuel and the fuel pump strugled to draw fuel, the line colapsed, restricting the flow. It was kinda like trying to drink a very thick milkshake through a soda straw!!
Anyway, proper fuel line, line designed for EFI, problem solved!!!

Bunker

vrunner79
03-21-2009, 07:42 AM
kink in the line, seen dead bugs clog the line. switch lines see if it moves to the other motor.

:o Will do it right away, Gracias Mi Amigo Fast Fred..:)

vrunner79
03-21-2009, 08:11 AM
until now, no problems with fuel, both motors are around 20 hours after break in, I sold that boat in 2004, first owner used 3 times in fresh water, then sold it to another who launched the boat 1 (one) time for a 30 minutes run doing slow passes in front of Marinaīs ramp thatīs it... all of the time that boat was on the trailer collecting dust..
Now..a new Younger buyer is buzzing around, who have a house at the coast line,
So I guess this boat itīs going to get some Gulf of Mexico action..very soon..
Gracias Bunker, will check fuel lines anyway..
PS: If I can get rid of the alarm...

fyremanbill
03-23-2009, 10:48 PM
I think you will find the problem quickly by switching the oil injection components between the engines. What controls the alarm? Is it in the EFI ECU? If so, exchange those also. Only swap one item at a time till you find the problem.

vrunner79
03-24-2009, 01:17 AM
I did swap ECMīs and reprogramed location, then the gauges, cleaned oil lines, past saturday went to test the boat, and found both fuel lines (mercury grey color) completly degraded, so I couldnt run the boat as expected, both oil monitors are showing 94% oil reserve, and going down normal, just started engines on trailer, and did a 15 minutes rpmīs test, Iīm going to change with other kind of Hi pressure hi quality fuel hoses, will see tomorrow,
Thanks Fyreman :D

PS:thanks Bunker for the clue

bowman
03-24-2009, 01:35 PM
Fuel lines are a bummer, as Bunker stated I had a weird problem and changing all the lines was the ticket. Maybe not with you but it made me run 100% better. :D I froget who it was in the pits but someone said try the fuel lines and we all said no...then on inspection Chad hill found that one of the many fuel lines was a non presure or carb fuel hose. It was the one from the tank to the pump. Being the first boat I ever rigged I had no idea this also needed to be a high presure line.

Hope that helps a bit.

Pat

vrunner79
03-25-2009, 11:37 PM
Gracias Pat:
Have to fix some "last minute" boats, prior Holy Week, and didnt even got close the mercs, I have new hoses, maybe in a day or two will have plenty of time to work them.

mercguy
03-26-2009, 07:28 AM
are they 150EFI or 150 Optimax engines? By the way, you do not need high pressure fuel line on either motor from the fuel tank to the motor (inlet low pressure (lift) pump)........just good 3/8 coast guard approved fuel line............

I could tell you several things to look at, but need to know which engine type you have........

Ron Hill
03-26-2009, 09:12 AM
Hey, you might be right about the Coast Guard approved, in fact, I assume you are right....but when you are in Parker, at a race, and you've stalled out teen times in two heats on Saturday and you've every electric thing we could find twice, you start looking for a fuel problem.

When Dave Wells walks up and asks, "Why we kept stopping yesterday?" And I tell him we are clueless....He listens then says you don't have an EFI gas line.....A quick check, and he was right. Pat Bowman then changed the lines and he ran like a SONG...Seems he was 2nd with 12 boats......

OPTIMAX could be another story....

Who said, "I do"???

vrunner79
03-26-2009, 10:03 AM
Mercguy:
Mercs are: 150 EFI
1.-2002, serial: OT445432
1.-2003, " OT747825

Asked Mercury Marine of Mexico, for wiring diagrams for those engines, (received other model) because the big flood:( we had back in 2007, in our state, just washed away everything in the city, All my equipment and software were lost, Iīm re-starting again step by step, do you can help me with those diagrams? anyway I will follow Ronīs advice, and put EFI lines, because they goes in the bunch of control cables, wires and hoses through the flexible plastic conduit to the motors, and they are very restricted.
Thanks for your great help:)

mercguy
03-26-2009, 07:15 PM
Hey, you might be right about the Coast Guard approved, in fact, I assume you are right....but when you are in Parker, at a race, and you've stalled out teen times in two heats on Saturday and you've every electric thing we could find twice, you start looking for a fuel problem.

When Dave Wells walks up and asks, "Why we kept stopping yesterday?" And I tell him we are clueless....He listens then says you don't have an EFI gas line.....A quick check, and he was right. Pat Bowman then changed the lines and he ran like a SONG...Seems he was 2nd with 12 boats......

OPTIMAX could be another story....

Who said, "I do"???

you were just running crappy cheap fuel insufficient line to start with Ron..........my personal 2.5EFI's ran JUST fine with 3/8 non-EFI (if thats what you wanna call it) fuel line..............and have rigged HUNDREDS of outboards!!!!!!!

mercguy
03-26-2009, 07:23 PM
Mercguy:
Mercs are: 150 EFI
1.-2002, serial: OT445432
1.-2003, " OT747825

Asked Mercury Marine of Mexico, for wiring diagrams for those engines, (received other model) because the big flood:( we had back in 2007, in our state, just washed away everything in the city, All my equipment and software were lost, Iīm re-starting again step by step, do you can help me with those diagrams? anyway I will follow Ronīs advice, and put EFI lines, because they goes in the bunch of control cables, wires and hoses through the flexible plastic conduit to the motors, and they are very restricted.
Thanks for your great help:)

you DO NOT need special (EFI?) fuel hose for your motors, just HIGH QUALITY Coast Guard approved 3/8 fuel line. Have you checked the VST tank for any contamination? I assume you are using a DDT to check the PCM for trouble codes, etc or are you using CDS laptop software? You did a compression check right? You said the engine goes into GUARDIAN mode with the low oil alarm going off......have you checked the oil sensor in the engine mounted oil tank for a short or that the float is sticking or that there is air in the line? A failure there will create the issue you are having...........

also, you can check for a fuel restriction by installing a vacuum gauge in the fuel line prior to the engine mounted pulse pump ...........

vrunner79
03-28-2009, 06:48 PM
Ok, I tested the boat today, went all the way down throtles, till 5,600 and no problem at all, no oil alarm, no low pressure alarm, no high temp, or anything, BUT...
now, gauges are beeping about pitot, (must be clogged), wheel paddle, (not installed), fault trim ( I dont realize why is not recognizing trim sender, both motors)
Still working on it, any help will be apreciated

Thanks everyone