PDA

View Full Version : Old OPC rules handbook

brichter
03-31-2009, 05:39 PM
I found this publication while rummaging through some stuff.
Some of the racers pictured on it are still around and hang out on this site, including Ron Hill, and Jimbo.
Ron Baker is still around and I ran into him a couple of times last summer.
The other names don't sound familiar.
Just thought some might like to see this.

brichter
03-31-2009, 05:44 PM
I'm not sure why the pictures didn't take but here's trying again....

Tomtall
03-31-2009, 07:04 PM
William - Very cool pic's. Thanks for sharing.

largecar91
04-01-2009, 05:37 AM
Is those stacks on Jimbo's boat?

Skoontz
04-01-2009, 06:51 AM
Jimbos boat... Only looks like one megaphone per 4 cylinders there. OMC had made a small handfull of stainless stacks with two megaphones to fit the 135 blocks. I got a set in my storage trailer with no stuffers I need to get to someday.

NERSTROM
04-01-2009, 07:31 PM
The exhaust system Jimbo is running is a 4 into 1 system which was later designed as an aluminum casting that exited into the down housing on the KC and KR Race Engines. If you have never heard one on these, they were unbelievable. It sounded like the engine was turning 10,000 rpm. They were welded steel tubes. Billet aluminum filler blocks were made to direct the flow from the exhaust port to the exhaust manifold.

Michael J Gwaltney
04-02-2009, 08:32 AM
Jim:
I'm sure you remember the first straight stacker we tried to "break-in" on the barge at Waukegan. Ken Soller was accused of "sunning himself" by a "floorwalker" while making sure the engine was running ok. Second call to Jack Leek was the corporation switchboard was jambed with residents complaining about noise. Good Memories!

Ron Hill
04-02-2009, 09:39 AM
Thanks for posting....Jimmy Jost loved boat racing and printed thousands of paper and such promoting boat racing. Bill Wiles passed away with cancer about 15 years ago ago, Stan Stauffer was killed on a snowmobile about 30 years ago, but Ron Baker, and me are still eating regularly...and I'm not sure about Jerry Langer...

Is boat 32 the one Freddy almost won Parker with???

Laurie and I are going to Needles for a week, next week, April 6, 2009, Jimbo has a list of every boat he ever drove for OMC and himself.....maybe we can get him to keep his DAMN JEEP out of some sand hole and we can print some stuff...I can't see the driver very clearly, but it almost looks lie Fred Hauenstein, not JIMBO!!!

The Wizard of OZ has become a JEEP NUT, which is better than RC airplanes, we talked yesterday and said he was SURE glad I didn't buy his old Jeep, as he had to put a radiator and something else ($1,500) and he knows I would have been pissed off for years.....if he would have let me buy it...

Is the total brochure posted???? Me and that old "SNAPPER" Glastron liked each other...I drove her to two major wins, driving a total of 11 race hours....Isn't it hard to believe that I could concentrate for 11 hours...on one thing??? OMC turned her into a test boat after that and she ran on Lake Michigan for many years after she was a "RACER"....

Fred Hauenstein
04-02-2009, 10:22 AM
...in boat 32. And that is the same boat with which my brother Jim and I led Parker for 4 or 5 hours. We had a comfortable lead and were cruising when the bottom failed. We did, however, win a lot of lap money at $50 per lap!

We were second to an inboard on the first lap and led the second lap. All with a full load (2 hours) of fuel while the Mercury entries started with half (1 hour) loads. A triple-Merc Jones led the third lap plus some but soon failed gear cases and power heads (it was before I worked there) and we took over.

At the end that day, I believe there was a three-way race going into the final turn after nine hours. Ron - tell that story!

That is an earlier picture - we had the enclosed pipes Jim Nerstrom described at Parker.

Fred Hauenstein

brichter
04-02-2009, 04:51 PM
Ron,
I didn't post the whole thing, Just the pictures on the front and back.
I can post the whole thing if you'd like to read the contents but there are no other pics except for a small one of the Starflite IV.

Ron Hill
04-02-2009, 10:44 PM
I was just hoping there were a few more pictures.....Thanks for posting..everything you did post!