PDA

View Full Version : The Wild Geechee

Danny Pigott
04-09-2009, 05:11 PM
This is the most famous boat in the South. D.F. Jenkins (Jenk's Outboard Service) had it build around 1969. It started off running 65 mph an at Its end was running 100 mph plus. Bucky Morris drove it first, then Earl Bentz. I drove it in its last races. I think it still exist today but not sure where, D F's
son may know. Earl is a member here maybe he will tell us more. This pic was taken at Hazelhurst Ga. in 1974. This is one of the last races I drove it in. It could still win on a short course and did that day.

Danny Pigott
04-11-2009, 03:16 PM
Around 1974-75

Danny Pigott
04-11-2009, 04:32 PM
This is Earl Bentz an the Wild Geechee.I think it was still a kneel down boat at this time, notice the side board on the side of the cockpit. I think this is the motor that D.F. called the bopper, because of the way it sounded getting on a plane. I still have the cowl from it.

Ron Hill
04-11-2009, 05:01 PM
Over 100 boats at Havasu, and I come home saying, "Wild Geechee"....What is a "Geechee"??

Great pictures, Danny....Who built that boat? It was red, right? How did D.F. Jenkins die? Was it in a car accident or something wasn't it....???

Intersting about boat names..some stay in your brain forever....

Those V-4 Super Stanglers were great motors..We ran one of mine, three Parker Enduros (9 Hours) in a row, without a rebuild.....

Super posts, Danny!

Allen J. Lang
04-12-2009, 12:01 PM
Hi Ron- Want to know what a Geeche is? Go to Charleston,SC and go south a couple of miles until you can't understand the dialect. After meeting D.F. at the Johnson dealer he worked at, it took me about 3 months before I could understand him. He was a character and fun to be around. The only Merc he liked was a 20-H he ran on an 8' Fillinger. While out in the lead, he flipped in turn 1 and his razor sharp airtrap sliced his foot open. It was his last race in the small outboards as his Mother and girlfriend were attending their first race.
One weekend we went Merc hunting. He had set up a 75 Johnson on a Lone Star dealer bracket (it was screw clamps adapted to OMC bolt ons) jacked to the hilt on the bracket and transom of a 13' Boston Whaler and a prop he didn't like and cut the blades off and rebrazed them on. We went to one spot and no one was around. Put the boat in and took a ride. It was set up to really hang. Don't know how fast we were going, but, the scenery passed quickly. Went to another spot where we met up with the Merc dealer and his 80 horse tower of power and one of D.F.s customers. The Merc totally out ran the customers 75 Johnson which was not to D.F.s liking. After two trips down the creek out of sight, The johnson flat out ran the Merc. D.F. had a big grin on his face. Everyone but the Merc Dealer went home happy that day.
Danny- It was great talking on the phone with you about the old days. Please keep posting more on D.F. as I lost track of him in 1962 when I left the AF. Sure miss those days.
Ye Olde Desert Geezer Now!!!! :cool:

Michael J Gwaltney
04-12-2009, 02:51 PM
This is Earl Bentz an the Wild Geechee.I think it was still a kneel down boat at this time, notice the side board on the side of the cockpit. I think this is the motor that D.F. called the bopper, because of the way it sounded getting on a plane. I still have the cowl from it. I got this pic. from region 4-5 notibles, Sam may be able to get a better copy an change it.
Funny Story: D. F. and Earl showed up with the red geechee at Miami Marine Stadium IN 1968 with one of the first production 1:1 gearcases installed.

Jack Leek & Don Henrich looked at the setup and told D. F. the engine was just too high, definetly should be lowered. D. F. told them he would hate to lower it as they had already won two races with the setup. Don installed one of his props and they gave Earl a tach for a test run. After the run they looked at the rpm and agreed the setup was just fine. LOL

Danny Pigott
04-14-2009, 11:10 AM
There were two Geechee boats built, they were build by a man named Bruce. I never knew if this was his first name or last, everybody just called him Bruce. The boat in the pic. is the first Geechee,the next one was called Wild Geechee Too. This was the one that ran at Havasu, they looked about the same but Geechee Too was a lot bigger, they were called little Geechee an Big Geechee. If you look at the pic you will see a little white bird on the front cowl, this is a Geechee bird that is where the name came from so i was told. The little Geechee started as a kneel down boat then a set down with back cowl an many other changes over the years. In 1975 Bruce made it back to a kneel down for me to run a 75 stinger on, it could run good but was not fast enough to win, this was the last race for the WILD GEECHEE.

Mark Poole
04-15-2009, 03:27 PM
Danny,

There is an RC boat race club that races on Johns Island. Bruce is the uncle of one of the club members and the boat is at Bruce's house and is said to have been restored and painted red. He told me there was motor on it also. Next time I go over there and race with the RC club I will ask to ride over and take a look.

When I was a kid my dad took me over to see the Beaufort Water Festival race, around '70 or '71. I would bet anything that pic of the boat with Earl in it was taken there. When my dad got there they were testing on the other side of the river and my dad ask where the races were going to be and one of the racers then told him back on the other side (which is where the race was always held) That is where I saw it for the first time.

Sponsons kinda look like an early Molinari with all that rocker and the strakes on them. All I know, and a lot of other people know is, it worked!!

Thanks, brings back great memories.

Mark Poole
04-15-2009, 05:56 PM
Looking close at the second pic with the cowl off...is that a distributor ignition?

mercmack
04-15-2009, 06:48 PM
most likely a battery CD ing system..like the 1967 100 hp had..no points .it has pickup sensor and type of rotor that had 4 square knobe it read off of..
a cd box and a big red coil..;););)

J. Sherlock
04-16-2009, 10:22 AM
1970 Lake Havasu

Mark Poole
04-16-2009, 01:25 PM
I have listened to many old racers that I know in this area that are familiar with that boat and the idea behind that boat was simply to be a single engine, corner quick and get out of the corner quick. Most of the races back then in the south were the short course sprint races like Hazelhurst, Kings Ferry, etc. Very forward thinking since most race boats of the day were Allisons or bigger tunnel boats, many with twin engines. Little boat ran good in rough water too. In Beaufort S.C. it whipped an entire field of unlimited tunnels as a storm was blowing in making for a very rough race course.

Back then I did not pay any attention to the design but looking at it now it has those steep sponson angles that run all the way forward and incorporates strakes. This would make it good around tight turns and then step up quickly out of the corner. The forks and top deck design resemble a Cougar tunnel which was built years later in England.

Great pics!

T2x
04-17-2009, 08:39 AM
My clearest memory of the Geechee was at the heat races at Smith Mountain Lake in '68 or '69. Bucky Morris and Bob Van Epps hooked up in a race for the ages...Van Epps in a little wood Sidewinder tunnel. This was the very early days of tunnel boat racing when most drivers were going on their heads. As the two came side by side down the last straight away Van Epps trimmed up...up....up.. and approached the finish line at a 45 degree angle to the water......and passed out of my line of sight behind the Mercury truck. One of Mercury's techs was watching the heat while hanging out of the side door. As the boats came closer to the edge of his vision field at the end of the trailer he leaned further and further out and as they disappeared from view he fell out completely. We all scrambled to the edge to see if Van Epps somehow landed right side up...he did. Absolutely amazing to watch those two battling side by side.

T2x

Danny Pigott
04-17-2009, 10:42 AM
The second boat from left is the Geechee, with Earl Bentz or Bucky Morris driving.

Master Oil Racing Team
04-17-2009, 07:36 PM
Some interesting stuff Danny. And that's also a good angle of the Miami Marine Stadium in the background. Looking at it... I just had the thought of a Sci-Fi metal giant clam that could close up with all those people inside.:eek::D. That was unique architechture, and I am glad there is hope for salvaging it.

Danny Pigott
04-19-2009, 04:44 PM
D.F. Jenkins is in the white pants. D.F. build the motor an owned the Geechee II .AL does he look about the same.

Allen J. Lang
04-20-2009, 10:39 AM
Danny- For some reason, it seemed that D.F. was a bit husky compared to the picture. Remember it was the late 50s/early 60s that I knew him.
Great pictures, keep them comming.
Ye Olde Desert Geezer Al :cool:

Danny Pigott
05-03-2009, 04:37 PM
Blast from the past.

Danny Pigott
06-24-2009, 11:19 AM
I have no idea how I ended up with this card. 1977 was the yr. D.F. was killed in an auto accident.This would have been the last NOA card he had.

Danny Pigott
10-02-2009, 05:00 PM
A lot of OPC Nat's were held here.

geechee
11-19-2009, 08:53 AM
I'm Bruce Robertson Jr. I got the Geechee from Bucky Morris and restored it.
I'll post some pictures later.

brichter
11-20-2009, 07:58 PM
Bruce, Glad to hear that the Geechee still exists. Looking forward to seeing the pictures.

Danny Pigott
03-12-2010, 10:23 PM
Bruce, I have found the org. seat that was in the little Geechee, if you want it let me know.

Danny Pigott
03-15-2010, 10:13 PM
Just a small part of the past, There were many of these attached to motors ln DF's shop. Both racing an fishing.

geechee
03-17-2010, 09:50 AM
Bruce, I have found the org. seat that was in the little Geechee, if you want it let me know.

Danny
I it would be great to get the seat.I was planning to put the boat back to sit
down. Daddy is doing well and I'm sure he would like to see you.My cell
phone is843- 830-0110 give me a call and we'll get together.
Bruce

Backfire!!
03-25-2010, 05:59 PM
I think I have some film of the Geechee, probably at the Dogwood in Knoxville. I put new belts my projector so I'm good to look at it.
Backfire ;)

Mark Poole
05-05-2010, 02:27 PM
Lets see if this works. Pics of the Geechee taken this past weekend.

Mark Poole
05-05-2010, 02:28 PM
Another...I got several more

Mark Poole
05-05-2010, 02:31 PM
View showing unique sponsons. Lots of curve in the topside from pickles to transom.

Mark Poole
05-05-2010, 02:34 PM
Those are some steep sponson angles. Notice the strakes and small flats at the very bottom. These flats transition out as they go forward.

Mark Poole
05-05-2010, 02:45 PM
Thanks to Bruce for bringing the boat over to the RC races for all to see. It was really a curiosity for the younger guys who have never seen it. It was great to see it rebuilt with fresh red paint. First time I have seen the boat in 35 years! Looks like the transom was raised for the 20" motor. Would be awesome with a Stinger or Strangler back on it.

brichter
05-05-2010, 05:56 PM
:cool:

It would probably be more appropriate with an X-115.

John Schubert T*A*R*T
05-06-2010, 06:43 AM
:cool:

It would probably be more appropriate with an X-115.

Bill,

They ran it with a Johnson Stinger prior to going to the 8 barrel carbs. I know as raced against it in St. Mary's, OH.

John

brichter
05-06-2010, 06:17 PM
Hello John, I saw the number "UI-221" and figured that UI was the original class it was raced in.

My Dad raced at St. Marys as well, I think in 1974. Is that the year you raced against the Geechee?

Ron Hill
05-06-2010, 08:15 PM
Seems they had a "BIG" race there. $10,000 in cash and prizes...

I finished third or fourth in twin Engine and got a gas can for prize money.

We always laughed about that $2,000 gas can....

Truth is and was, we raced for fun, and would have raced for free...

Was 1974 when that big *** thunder storm came through and stopped the race???

Freddy Hauenstein and I had a rent a car, after the race we "Booted it" to the airport....I left the rent car double parked as we were late for our plane.. About four days later Hertz called and wanted to know when Iw as going to return the rent car......I said, "**** man, I left that SUM BITCH DOUBLE PARKED IN FRONT OF TWA AND GAVE THE KEY TO SOMEBODY..."

Those were the days before terrorist and all....they found the car in the Hertz parking lot...

ADD:

Tell me that Wilds Geechee wouldn't go through rough water??? You could probably run that thing in the ocean...

Ron Hill
05-06-2010, 08:19 PM
I'm Bruce Robertson Jr. I got the Geechee from Bucky Morris and restored it.
I'll post some pictures later.

Are you Benny's brother's kid????

geechee
05-07-2010, 04:56 AM
I,ve known Benny Robertson for years were from the same town and raced against each other but are not related.

T2x
05-07-2010, 05:15 AM
Did OMC make a UI race motor (80-89 cu in)? My memory is fading but I can't recall anything but Merc's in that class.

John Schubert T*A*R*T
05-07-2010, 05:29 AM
Hello John, I saw the number "UI-221" and figured that UI was the original class it was raced in.

My Dad raced at St. Marys as well, I think in 1974. Is that the year you raced against the Geechee?

Bill,
It was 1972.

John Schubert T*A*R*T
05-07-2010, 05:32 AM
Did OMC make a UI race motor (80-89 cu in)? My memory is fading but I can't recall anything but Merc's in that class.

Rich,

I think that the GT115 was 89.9 c.i. It ultimately ran in the short lived "R" class. Ted May ran one on a mini Molinari for T*A*R*T at the Miami Marathon Nationals in 1971 & won. Geoff Briggs won "U" & I won "S". 3 for 3 for the T*A*R*T team.

T2x
05-07-2010, 10:48 AM
Rich,

I think that the GT115 was 89.9 c.i. It ultimately ran in the short lived "R" class. Ted May ran one on a mini Molinari for T*A*R*T at the Miami Marathon Nationals in 1971 & won. Geoff Briggs won "U" & I won "S". 3 for 3 for the T*A*R*T team.

Thanks John:

The 115 came out after the Merc 1100 which was the first true "J" class engine at over 90 cubes...... but, now that I think of it, Mercury had some reason for bringing out the 1000 BP and resurrecting their 89 cu in engine. I guess OMC's 89 cu in powerhead must have been the reason.....

Funny I ran a pair Jack Leek's X115 Evinrudes for a season, but have totally blanked out on their powerhead size. We changed enough black boxes on the damn things that I should have learned something.

T*A*R*T racing (Totally Amateur Racing Team as I recall).......Amateurs? I don't think so.... ;)

John Schubert T*A*R*T
05-07-2010, 11:35 AM
Thanks John:

The 115 came out after the Merc 1100 which was the first true "J" class engine at over 90 cubes...... but, now that I think of it, Mercury had some reason for bringing out the 1000 BP and resurrecting their 89 cu in engine. I guess OMC's 89 cu in powerhead must have been the reason.....

Funny I ran a pair Jack Leek's X115 Evinrudes for a season, but have totally blanked out on their powerhead size. We changed enough black boxes on the damn things that I should have learned something.

T*A*R*T racing (Totally Amateur Racing Team as I recall).......Amateurs? I don't think so.... ;)

T*A*R*T racing (Totally Amateur Racing Team as I recall).......Amateurs? I don't think so.... HA! HA! Rich, That's what Jim Briggs named us even Strang would jibe Jim about that. Timmy would like to say we were the Tough *** Race Team, perhaps we were on our Good Days!

Master Oil Racing Team
05-07-2010, 06:59 PM
I always wondered about that John. I had never heard of T*A*R*T back in the day, and if I had I would have thought...."What in the heck is that all about?" Thanks T2X for prompting John to explain what that was all about. I expect there is more though.:cool:

brichter
05-07-2010, 07:06 PM
The GT115 and X115 were definitely 89.9 cubes but there were a few that the factory punched out to 99.9. The sleeves were thick enough to take 1/8" overbore.

Ron Hill
05-07-2010, 11:19 PM
I think that is somewhat what Marshall's book title was...but "Amateur" was the word I remember....But they were good for AMATEURS......

Jim Briggs was a hell of a man and a great sponsor.

I was in Paris, 1970, nad Jim Briggs asked me something and I said, "I don't have a dollar or a French Franc...he handed me 500 French Francs...Don't recall what that was worth, but I had money to buy French wine...that night.

Jim Briggs was the "MAN"....he loved life and boat racing. He never seemed the same after Timmy, his son, was killed in a car accident in Colorado after the Parker Enduro.

Mark75H
05-08-2010, 06:58 AM
The GT115 and X115 were definitely 89.9 cubes but there were a few that the factory punched out to 99.9. The sleeves were thick enough to take 1/8" overbore.

In 1968 there were 99.6ci "X-115" & "GT-115" models with separate model designations from the 89ci versions. I think Ron and Jimbo got the first ones to race.

Anyone know whose code name at OMC might have been "fmz"? Those are the initials of the guy who filled out the spec sheets sent to NOA and APBA. If no one can tell for sure, I'll ask Mr. Strang if it was him.

brichter
05-08-2010, 01:01 PM
Anyone know whose code name at OMC might have been "fmz"? Those are the initials of the guy who filled out the spec sheets sent to NOA and APBA. If no one can tell for sure, I'll ask Mr. Strang if it was him.

At that time it would have to be Frank Zupec.

MN1
05-08-2010, 01:03 PM
Rich,

Actually the R class was a 70 ci class. The class used the Merc 85 hp with all the mods you wanted. I got see them run in Minnesota once. I think Chris Bush won.
Mark N

T2x
05-10-2010, 05:08 AM
I think that is somewhat what Marshall's book title was...but "Amateur" was the word I remember....But they were good for AMATEURS......

Jim Briggs was a hell of a man and a great sponsor.

I was in Paris, 1970, nad Jim Briggs asked me something and I said, "I don't have a dollar or a French Franc...he handed me 500 French Francs...Don't recall what that was worth, but I had money to buy French wine...that night.

Jim Briggs was the "MAN"....he loved life and boat racing. He never seemed the same after Timmy, his son, was killed in a car accident in Colorado after the Parker Enduro.

Being from the east, I raced with (against) Geoff Briggs frequently. He was so different from Timmy that they almost seemed to come from separate gene pools. Tim was this handsome, polished guy, always in a driving suit, with the fancy Stars and Stripes hull. Geoff ran an old beat up Scotti and was very hands on....he almost liked to get dirty. I was always amazed that he actually owned a boat yard (in the Hamptons of course) where he worked each day.

Very interesting family....but both were very competitive in their own ways.

T2x

Ron Hill
05-10-2010, 05:32 PM
For those of us fortunate to know Ted May you will know what I mean here.

Ted could kill the English language when he first met Geoff Briggs he called him "GOOF" as Ted might not have been the best reader in the class , thoush he was a all state quarterback for seven years in high school. Ted's hands weren't always clean, in many ways, but as a youth looking up to Ted May, we all thought for sure Ted could walk on water if he wanted to and if he couldn't he could set off enough Cherry Bombs, in the water that he wouldn't have to walk on water.

Being there was only one Ted May, I think "GOOF" saw in Ted a very happy man, dirty hands and all. Being born with silver spoons in Georff's mouth didn't matter, being like Ted May did!

brichter
05-10-2010, 05:41 PM
....Tim was this handsome, polished guy, always in a driving suit, with the fancy Stars and Stripes hull.

T2x

You mean this one?

peterse90
05-11-2010, 08:03 PM
Tim was this handsome, polished guy, always in a driving suit, with the fancy Stars and Stripes hull.
T2x

Here are 3 more Tim Briggs pictures;
1) September 1973, Toronto - Ontario. Tim finished 3rd overall in the PS 100's.
2) Miami Winter Championships 1974. Maybe same Scotti that he used in Toronto but now with the 'Stars and Stripes'. Tim finished 2nd overall.
3) Ad that appeared in Powerboat, April 1975. As T2x describes...the handsome polished guy,the driving suit and the fancy Stars and Stripes hull.

Mark Poole
05-12-2010, 04:50 PM
I was watching the Havasu '72 vids yesterday and thought how these S class 100 cu. in. tunnel boats were such a great class of racing. I know the progression into the V-6 engines meant the end of it but, it made for some of the best racing. Look at the number of boats at Havasu and Parker and it seems it was not overly dangerous either.

The switch to more powerfull boats and "sprint" type racing added much more danger.

T2x
05-14-2010, 10:37 AM
I was watching the Havasu '72 vids yesterday and thought how these S class 100 cu. in. tunnel boats were such a great class of racing. I know the progression into the V-6 engines meant the end of it but, it made for some of the best racing. Look at the number of boats at Havasu and Parker and it seems it was not overly dangerous either.

The switch to more powerfull boats and "sprint" type racing added much more danger.

I'm not so sure about that. The hulls seemed to flip less and less as the motors got bigger and the courses were shortened. The earlier races had more than their share of fatalities. Almost everybody I raced with has his share of injuries ranging from joint and bone issues to missing spleens and worse, most of these (but not all) dating back to the full tunnel (pre picklefork) days and even to the multi engine era. Certainly the safety capsules have helped to reduce injuries a great deal as well. No doubt the hulls are potentially faster but they don't sustain the speeds. One of the reasons for shortening the courses was to get rid of those long straights where you ran along flat out for a mile or more with nothing to do but press on the peddle and fiddle with your trim buttons.

T2x

Ron Hill
05-14-2010, 11:04 AM
Fred's son was racing 45 and Fred either started PTT or soon helped run it. At first, I thought Fred was crazy as he was running like 32 second courses, maybe 35 second.

I thought, hell man, we run 35 second straight aways in California. My son, Chad, started running 45 and we went to Indio to a race. Chad crashed out early in a corner, as I recall, but every other 45 there blew over that weekend.

I know two drivers that quit 45 from blow overs at Indio.

AS CHAD RACED 45 MORE AND MORE, I REALIZED HOW SMART FRED MILLER WAS. 45's still blow over on 32-35 but not all of them blow over.

Chad doesn't like to run clock starts on long courses as he feels he is not in control of his boat and that he's about to blow over at anytime.

In 1972, which seems like yesterday to me, (38 years ago). At Havasu, 1972, I could only run 90 MPH, big gearcase, and feel in control. With a 1:1 I could do 103 MPH, but thought I'd crash. First day I ended up about 18th. Second day, I ran the 1:1 and was, in the top ten for the day, but out of any chance of winning.

We came home from Havasu, made some streaks for the tunnel walls, moved my steering wheel back four inches and moved me back 6-8 inches and with the help of Fred Hauenstein's prop, we could run 108 MPH at Parker. Actually, it was Jimmy Hauenstein's prop.

Generally, blow overs with 100 inch singles didn't kill you. Mac McCune had blown a single V-4 over at Long Beach and was unhurt. He blew a V-6 over at Parker and was killed. Billy Seebold once blew over twice at Parker. ALL 10 OF Team MERCURY'S BOATS BLEW OVER IN THE 1973 OR 1974 Enduro and no one was killed.

The first V-6 I ever drove, off the cover where my V-4 would go 80 MPH, I could go 114 MPH. I knew right then people were going to die driving V-6's and I never drove a V-8 on a tunnel.

You can never go back, but single 100 inch racing was very special. 60-80 boats running 6 hours in Paris, France. 100 plus running Havasu and getting our picture in National Geograph!

I High Rider Molinari, made OUT OF CARBON, with a GREEN MOTOR, like a 130 E-Tec, with stacks, or any 130 GREEN MOTOR WITH STACKS, about 90 MPH MAX, maybe a transon height...

But green motors have to be run stock for the government controlled tree huggers.

Hell with them I got my memories....kids today would probably want the governent to sponsor them!

Mark Poole
05-14-2010, 07:00 PM
No doubt when safety capsules came out racing crashes became much more survivable. It also became easier to drive because you no longer had to hold on to the boat.

Just making an observation that in that era, a 90 mph rig that was a fairly stable platform and the driver, knowing he needed to use his head for a longer race, made for many hours of competive racing without a huge number of crash and burns. Within 4 or 5 years tunnel boats were going into orbit blowing over on 130+ kilo runs and builders were trying to make boats to handle the leap in horsepower.

Danny Pigott
12-15-2011, 05:53 PM
Last week I went to Charleston SC,. about 30 miles from me to look for the old Jenk"Outboard Shop. Things have changed so much around here that nothing looked the same. I rode about an hr. looking for it I did not know if it was still there or not. one last look and i found it , the place looked much the same as it did in 77 when Jenk's was killed other than it is a auto shop now. I wish i knew how many racers came to this place during it't time there were many great drivers here at some time, even the great Gerry Waldman came here he and Jenk's were good friends

Mark Poole
12-24-2011, 11:58 PM
Yeah, Charleston has changed a lot! Danny, did you know that the Wild Geechee has been restored and is on Johns Island? I believe the guy that has it is either the son or nephew of the original builder. Jenks built some bad azz V-4's back in the day.

Smokin' Joe
12-25-2011, 10:38 AM
I remember the name 'Jenks' from NOA races at the Knoxville Boat club in the 1970s. George Laycock once explained to me ab out 'Geechee' but I'm leaving it to Danny to explain that since he's a local expert!

Over 100 boats at Havasu, and I come home saying, "Wild Geechee"....What is a "Geechee"??

Great pictures, Danny....Who built that boat? It was red, right? How did D.F. Jenkins die? Was it in a car accident or something wasn't it....???

Intersting about boat names..some stay in your brain forever....

Those V-4 Super Stanglers were great motors..We ran one of mine, three Parker Enduros (9 Hours) in a row, without a rebuild.....

Super posts, Danny!

TigerToo
09-23-2015, 11:28 AM
Just became a forum member recently and have enjoyed seeing and reading about outboard racing. I was a child when my dad built racing engines in the 50's and early 60's, but I remember some names from the past listed in this forum. I was delighted to see this thread on "Geechee" and "Wild Geechee" since I did see "Wild Geechee" race at the Beaufort Water Festival in the late 70's with my father (and his former driver) spectating. "Wild Geechee" impressed the crowd and especially my dad who remarked that it was the most "balanced" rig he had ever seen! I believe we heard it was going over 100mph in the back stretch, and it handled beautifully. It was an exciting boat to watch and it was the fastest thing on the water that day. BTW, "Geechee" is the term for the dialect that old Charlestonians speak, for example, if you have ever heard Sen. Fritz Hollings speak in Congress. Keep up the good memories!

Ron Hill
11-12-2015, 05:34 PM
Sent: Tuesday, November 3, 2015 11:00 AM
Subject: RE: Bass Book

Hi Ron—Yes, “Jenks” was my uncle and not only introduced me to the marine business by being kind enough to give me a job at “Jenks Outboard” when I was 14 years old, but put me in my first race boat at 16. As you may know, he designed a boat called the “Wild Geechee” that was first driven by Bucky Morris and then he turned the reins over to me. The “Geechee” was far ahead of it’s time with it’s multistep tunnel hull and pickle fork design. We campaigned the “Geechee” all over the Southeast for many years, competing in several different classes, showing up with one boat and a U-Haul trailer full of engines. We would change engines between races starting with “stock” Sport “J” all the way up to “S” class, which were engines where anything goes. Uncle D.F.. or “Jenks” as he was more commonly called, was a genius when it came to getting horsepower out of an OMC power head, and more often than not, his horsepower that he was able to squeeze out of any engine he touched, paired with the “Geechee”, often embarrassed many of the “factory” rigs that we competed with. To say that we enjoyed tremendous success would be an understatement. When “Jenks” was not working on our race engines, he was “blueprinting” engines for other OMC engine owners from all over the world, who either raced or were competitive bass fishermen. It was during the early days of the performance bass boat boom. This was the part of his business that he allowed me to be very involved in and that led to my first introduction to performance bass boats, set up and engine modifications, which would prove to be the foundation for my career in boat manufacturing and a job with Hydra Sports in June of 1975.
Our success with the “Wild Geechee” also opened the door for me to get a call from the folks at the famed Mercury Racing Team in 1973, joining the likes of racing legends Reggie Fountain and Billy Seebold. I was privileged to race for Mercury from 1973 until March of 1981, when I decided to hang it up in favor of pursuing a career in boat manufacturing on a full time basis. The “Geechee” today has been fully restored and resides on Johns Island, S.C. at the home of Brucie Robertson, son of the craftsman who built it originally, Bruce Robertson. I would venture to say that there are very few OPC class tunnel boats in history that can boast the success of the “Wild Geechee”. I am honored to have had the opportunity to drive it. EB

Steve Pinson
12-22-2015, 10:41 AM
In 1968 there were 99.6ci "X-115" & "GT-115" models with separate model designations from the 89ci versions. I think Ron and Jimbo got the first ones to race.

Check out the OMC engines at Paris I think Ron may know the drivers?

Ron Hill
12-23-2015, 06:11 PM
Most of the boats in the race were Vee Bottoms. ON was the top class, UIM Outboard N (99 cubic Inches). Schulz Hulls? I always said "Schultz". It has been so long I have forgotten who drove the 63 boat, but Dieter Schulz and someone named "CHRIS" drove together. Seems Dieter made it through the first hour and half, then Chris took over. He stuffed on about his first lap. Ted May started the race in #45, and I took over at an hour and half.

Barge traffic continued through the entire 6 hours. They left three feet tall wakes. The famous picture of Ted May standing straight up under the bridge was taken at this race.

OMC had four boats. Dewy Berghauer started the race but hit the pit turning buoy early and knocked a hole in the boat. They sank. I don't think any of us realized how much current was in the river. Dewy made what looked like a good turn, then next thing you know he's hit the buoy.

Tom and Mac McCune drove the fourth boat and second Johnson (All were equal: 2 Johnson, 2 Evinrudes, 4 Schulz Boats).

Ted and I ran ahead of the McCune's all day, I ran between the turn buoy and a barge on the pit turn and we neved got that lap. So, we ran second all day and got third.

We had run the 100 inchers at Parker in March, two on the Berghauer's Schulz, two on Ernie Thrikl's Switzer named "Black Coffin" and two on the DeSilva Wing that is on the cover of Ralph's book. Jimbo may have run a 100 incher at Parker on a Single engine, but I don't think so. I don't think he ran a 100 incher until we brought the Schultz's back to Havasu in November.

Steve Pinson
12-26-2015, 04:26 AM
Most of the boats in the race were Vee Bottoms. ON was the top class, UIM Outboard N (99 cubic Inches). Schulz Hulls? I always said "Schultz". It has been so long I have forgotten who drove the 63 boat, but Dieter Schulz and someone named "CHRIS" drove together. Seems Dieter made it through the first hour and half, then Chris took over. He stuffed on about his first lap. Ted May started the race in #45, and I took over at an hour and half.

Barge traffic continued through the entire 6 hours. They left three feet tall wakes. The famous picture of Ted May standing straight up under the bridge was taken at this race.

OMC had four boats. Dewy Berghauer started the race but hit the pit turning buoy early and knocked a hole in the boat. They sank. I don't think any of us realized how much current was in the river. Dewy made what looked like a good turn, then next thing you know he's hit the buoy.

Tom and Mac McCune drove the fourth boat and second Johnson (All were equal: 2 Johnson, 2 Evinrudes, 4 Schulz Boats).

Ted and I ran ahead of the McCune's all day, I ran between the turn buoy and a barge on the pit turn and we neved got that lap. So, we ran second all day and got third.

We had run the 100 inchers at Parker in March, two on the Berghauer's Schulz, two on Ernie Thrikl's Switzer named "Black Coffin" and two on the DeSilva Wing that is on the cover of Ralph's book. Jimbo may have run a 100 incher at Parker on a Single engine, but I don't think so. I don't think he ran a 100 incher until we brought the Schultz's back to Havasu in November.. The first Paris 6hr race I drove in was in 1970 and was the last year they ran the barges through the race some barges towed others making it even more interesting at the pit buoy turns.You are correct Ron to say it was a rough race was a understatement .My entry was a 15ft boat V4 OMC powered it lasted for 2 hrs before punching the bottom through.The Shultz cats only stayed around up to around 1972 I will post a picture of the last boats I saw race.

swamppanther
12-26-2015, 10:58 AM
I have one of those early Shultz cats That had an x115 on it, Not in good shape, but the same canopy,keeping it for a pattern
It was in bad shape when I got it, but was told by owner he got it from OMC and Jimbo drove it. Can't part with that kind of history!

Steve Pinson
12-28-2015, 05:44 AM
I have one of those early Shultz cats That had an x115 on it, Not in good shape, but the same canopy,keeping it for a pattern
It was in bad shape when I got it, but was told by owner he got it from OMC and Jimbo drove it. Can't part with that kind of history! Have you got any picis to post of this old boat and cowl you have.The first Schultz cats to land in the UK in 1968 were 17ft long one red and one green both 125 hp merc powered. In 1969 two 16ft Schultz cats arrived in the UK Bob Spalding ran one and Mike Rose ran the other both 100sbp powered they had a forward ballast tank in the nose and came with a big black speedo as std.I drove both of them and can tell you they were not rough water boats.The green boat in the picture uncle den is a17ft Shultz in 1968.The picture of the white Schultz is a 16ft boat driven by Bob Spalding in 1969.The last time I saw a Shultz boat run was 1972 at Bristol in the UK the driver was Rudi Hersal he went wide at the pit turn collided with the dock wall and died in the accident.The no 14 boat is Bob Nordskog at Paris in 1973 driving one of the later Schultz boats and look how much it looked like the no 11 Scotti boat that Ron Hill and Jimbo drove the same year..

swamppanther
12-28-2015, 07:14 PM
I don't have any photos at the moment, the front cowling was wood and tapered down to the deck and had a more rounded
bow, the rear cowling is fiberglass and looks like the ones in your photos, I got the boat from Bob Witt in Texas.

Ron Hill
12-28-2015, 08:29 PM
Have you got any picis to post of this old boat and cowl you have.The first Schultz cats to land in the UK in 1968 were 17ft long one red and one green both 125 hp merc powered. In 1969 two 16ft Schultz cats arrived in the UK Bob Spalding ran one and Mike Rose ran the other both 100sbp powered they had a forward ballast tank in the nose and came with a big black speedo as std.I drove both of them and can tell you they were not rough water boats.The green boat in the picture uncle den is a17ft Shultz in 1968.The picture of the white Schultz is a 16ft boat driven by Bob Spalding in 1969.The last time I saw a Shultz boat run was 1972 at Bristol in the UK the driver was Rudi Hersal he went wide at the pit turn collided with the dock wall and died in the accident.The no 14 boat is Bob Nordskog at Paris in 1973 driving one of the later Schultz boats and look how much it looked like the no 11 Scotti boat that Ron Hill and Jimbo drove the same year..

I ran the "BLUE" Schulz in Paris 1968, even though we ran second all day and finished third, I was NOT impressed with the boat. I had won. the John Ward 500 CC World Championships with a Konig and a Schulz Boat in Valleyfield, Canada, 1967. I had looked forward to racing in Paris 1968.

In 1971, I drove a Schulz, like Nordskog #14 with Mike Wallace. I set the "INDEX of Performance" record that year. "Index of Performance" was the boat/driver that increased the previous years lap times. I loved that 1972 Schulz and was leading with 30 minutes to go when I broke a crankshaft.

It was my driving of that Schulz that caused me to be team with Jimbo the next year.

Jimbo wasn't completely pleased that we were driving together. My dad and I had recommended to Jack Leek that Jimbo could drive a D Hydro. Jack took our word. In the kneel downs, Jimbo did OK, but was never as "FAMOUS" as Ron Hill. When Jimbo and I won Berlin in 1970, Jimbo admitted his watch broke and it was my quick thinking that won us the race. (Jimbo had stopped early. I figured out his error and made a quick fuel stop before the finish)...

So, I felt I should start Paris, 1972, but Jimbo was the "Factory" employee and he felt he should start the race. Jack Leek agreed with Jimbo. As he had wanted Jimbo to start Berlin, and I had made a "STICK" that the Molinari was "Jim Brigg's boat" and I was driving for Jim Briggs, not Jack Leek.).

Anyway, Jimbo stopped at 1 1/2 hour for fuel and the flywheel was broke (The new flex plated flexed too much and broke). By the time they put on a replacement flywheel was a many laps down. And to be honest, the Scotti with the air slotted just handles like crap. If you got it set of speed she wanted to blow over, if you trimmed her down, with my weight, she was glued in.

I pretty much fought with this Scotti for 1 1/2 hours. I pull in to the pits for fuel and there is no Jimbo, he's standing behind the pipes on the river bank in his street clothes. So, we are half way through 6n hours, I take a load a gas and head out...

This Mercury falls out, this OMC falls out, I start counting...Hmmm, I'ma top 5, when I stopped at 4 1/2 hours. I look up and Jimbo is standing in the pits as I get fuel with his jacket and helmet on. I give him the middle finger and take off.

We finished third.

My daughter was born October 8, 1973. I never raced in Paris after 1972 and have not been back and have no plans to return.

Thanks for the great pictures.

John Schubert T*A*R*T
12-29-2015, 11:17 AM
I ran the "BLUE" Schulz in Paris 1968, even though we ran second all day and finished third, I was NOT impressed with the boat. I had won. the John Ward 500 CC World Championships with a Konig and a Schulz Boat in Valleyfield, Canada, 1967. I had looked forward to racing in Paris 1968.

In 1971, I drove a Schulz, like Nordskog #14 with Mike Wallace. I set the "INDEX of Performance" record that year. "Index of Performance" was the boat/driver that increased the previous years lap times. I loved that 1972 Schulz and was leading with 30 minutes to go when I broke a crankshaft.

It was my driving of that Schulz that caused me to be team with Jimbo the next year.

Jimbo wasn't completely pleased that we were driving together. My dad and I had recommended to Jack Leek that Jimbo could drive a D Hydro. Jack took our word. In the kneel downs, Jimbo did OK, but was never as "FAMOUS" as Ron Hill. When Jimbo and I won Berlin in 1970, Jimbo admitted his watch broke and it was my quick thinking that won us the race. (Jimbo had stopped early. I figured out his error and made a quick fuel stop before the finish)...

So, I felt I should start Paris, 1972, but Jimbo was the "Factory" employee and he felt he should start the race. Jack Leek agreed with Jimbo. As he had wanted Jimbo to start Berlin, and I had made a "STICK" that the Molinari was "Jim Brigg's boat" and I was driving for Jim Briggs, not Jack Leek.).

Anyway, Jimbo stopped at 1 1/2 hour for fuel and the flywheel was broke (The new flex plated flexed too much and broke). By the time they put on a replacement flywheel was a many laps down. And to be honest, the Scotti with the air slotted just handles like crap. If you got it set of speed she wanted to blow over, if you trimmed her down, with my weight, she was glued in.

I pretty much fought with this Scotti for 1 1/2 hours. I pull in to the pits for fuel and there is no Jimbo, he's standing behind the pipes on the river bank in his street clothes. So, we are half way through 6n hours, I take a load a gas and head out...

This Mercury falls out, this OMC falls out, I start counting...Hmmm, I'ma top 5, when I stopped at 4 1/2 hours. I look up and Jimbo is standing in the pits as I get fuel with his jacket and helmet on. I give him the middle finger and take off.

We finished third.

My daughter was born October 8, 1973. I never raced in Paris after 1972 and have not been back and have no plans to return.

Thanks for the great pictures.
Ron, must have been 1972 as Geoff Briggs & I were leading at 5 1/2 hours in 71 & I think the only OMC left with a 20 minute lead to break a rod giving the race to Downard & Merc.

I agree the the slotted nose Scotti pre pickle fork was a difficult boat to drive but Muncey & I should have won Parker in 1974 if the steering didn't break, although I stayed with it after it was fixed, much to then dismay of Bill & we finished 4th

Ron Hill
12-29-2015, 12:08 PM
Ron, must have been 1972 as Geoff Briggs & I were leading at 5 1/2 hours in 71 & I think the only OMC left with a 20 minute lead to break a rod giving the race to Downard & Merc.

I agree the the slotted nose Scotti pre pickle fork was a difficult boat to drive but Muncey & I should have won Parker in 1974 if the steering didn't break, although I stayed with it after it was fixed, much to then dismay of Bill & we finished 4th

Billy and I were racing hard, as I recall, and he was leading. At the Statue of Liberty turn, Billy barrow rolled. I slowed to see if he was OK, then headed for the pit turn, figuring I only had about 30 minutes left and Wallace and I would win. Just then, I broke a crank.

Now your point of leading at 5 1/2 hours could be valid, as Billy may have just passed you guys when he rolled. I was never credited with leading a lap, and Billy may not have been credited either.

I do recall, my wife saying she and Lynn Seebold hugged, when neither Billy and I returned on the next lap. My wife and Lynn we NOT really friends. Somewhere her eon BRF is a picture of Billy being towed in upside down, it was a red Molinari. And I was being towed in ahead of him in what I called "The Johnny Lightning" Schulz. Wallace drove the firs 1 1/2 hours, then never returned to the cockpit.

John Schubert T*A*R*T
12-29-2015, 12:27 PM
Billy and I were racing hard, as I recall, and he was leading. At the Statue of Liberty turn, Billy barrow rolled. I slowed to see if he was OK, then headed for the pit turn, figuring I only had about 30 minutes left and Wallace and I would win. Just then, I broke a crank.

Now your point of leading at 5 1/2 hours could be valid, as Billy may have just passed you guys when he rolled. I was never credited with leading a lap, and Billy may not have been credited either.

I do recall, my wife saying she and Lynn Seebold hugged, when neither Billy and I returned on the next lap. My wife and Lynn we NOT really friends. Somewhere her eon BRF is a picture of Billy being towed in upside down, it was a red Molinari. And I was being towed in ahead of him in what I called "The Johnny Lightning" Schulz. Wallace drove the firs 1 1/2 hours, then never returned to the cockpit.
Actually Ron, I drove the 1st 2 hours & was 3rd Sotti was 1st Billy 2nd. After my stop Geoff took over & passed Billy. After a bit Scotti broke & we took over the lead until I broke at 5 1/2 hrs. I still think you are referring to 1972

Ron Hill
12-29-2015, 03:31 PM
Actually Ron, I drove the 1st 2 hours & was 3rd Sotti was 1st Billy 2nd. After my stop Geoff took over & passed Billy. After a bit Scotti broke & we took over the lead until I broke at 5 1/2 hrs. I still think you are referring to 1972

The highest we got in 1972 was the last lap. We got third overall, third in class. The way they were falling out, I thought we might win.

1971, I ran with Mike Wallace in the Schulz.

John Schubert T*A*R*T
12-29-2015, 07:51 PM
The highest we got in 1972 was the last lap. We got third overall, third in class. The way they were falling out, I thought we might win.

1971, I ran with Mike Wallace in the Schulz.
Although I still believe slowing down after 4 hours wide open contributed to throwing a rod, when I got back in at the 4 hr mark Lou Eppel & Jack Leek said that Geoff & I were in 1st. Lou said to make a lap & to look for him on the sea wall where the river narrows by the pit turn just after the bridge. He said he would give me the high sign if I needed to run hard & the down sided hands if I needed to slow down. I got the slow down sign.But my point is that we were in the lead from before the 4 hour mark until we broke at about 5 hours ten minutes & then Downard took over until the finish & won. Even Bill Welch stated over on Scream & Fly that he was happy to see that I didn't come around & gave the lead to Merc

Steve Pinson
01-02-2016, 06:36 AM
Actually Ron, I drove the 1st 2 hours & was 3rd Sotti was 1st Billy 2nd. After my stop Geoff took over & passed Billy. After a bit Scotti broke & we took over the lead until I broke at 5 1/2 hrs. I still think you are referring to 1972 Hi John the 1971 Paris 6hr race didn`t go too well for me as my team had entered 2 19ft cats to run the barge wash only to find the barge traffic was stopped until the last hour my outfit had engine failure after just 40 mins you and Ron did much better.The picture of the no 12 boat is the Shultz outfit of Hill-Wallace the French report says they were up with the front runners.605306053160532

John Schubert T*A*R*T
01-02-2016, 07:43 AM
I have the Powerboat magazine article & will scan it & post it as soon as done.

John Schubert T*A*R*T
01-02-2016, 08:21 AM
Attached is the Powerboat article by CD Strang about the 1972 Paris race. It's in jpeg format. I will also post it in pdf so readers will have the option to print whichever provides the best results. The picture at the bottom as posted reads that Geoff Briggs is actually in the boat but Jack Leek told me that it was me. I have the actual picture framed in my office. I can tell by the helmet that the helmet as striped around the bottom was how I painted my helmet.

John Schubert T*A*R*T
01-02-2016, 08:23 AM
Here is the pdf files of the same article

Ron Hill
01-02-2016, 12:33 PM
Hi John the 1971 Paris 6hr race didn`t go too well for me as my team had entered 2 19ft cats to run the barge wash only to find the barge traffic was stopped until the last hour my outfit had engine failure after just 40 mins you and Ron did much better.The picture of the no 12 boat is the Shultz outfit of Hill-Wallace the French report says they were up with the front runners.605306053160532

What does the newspaper say in English? Any official score sheets till out there???

I know one thing about 1971, if Wallace and i had electrical problems it was because the flywheel and crank shaft came out of the motor and ripped the wires with it....

John Schubert T*A*R*T
01-02-2016, 01:25 PM
The only sheets that I have are the entry list & the timer sheet after 2 hours. They are attached.

Ron Hill
01-02-2016, 03:15 PM
I know for a fact, were were 7 laps down at 1 1/2 hours and I drove til we broke.....

John, did you get one of these metals, Conseil de Paris, Medalle??? I thought I got this as part of the "Index of Performance"....No date on the coin, but there is one on E-Bay listed for $106.00.

But Charlie made it sound like Scotti turned the fastest lap...I'm surprises the Scotti didn't drive with Jimbo in '72....

John Schubert T*A*R*T
01-02-2016, 03:46 PM
No I didn't get one. All I have is the flags for 1970, 1971 & 1972. I also have a medallion from Berlin in 1971.

What is the eBay # of the medallion, maybe I need it.

Did we finish in the top 5 in 1970? We were first Johnson & there was an award for that but don't know who got it.

Steve Pinson
01-03-2016, 05:43 AM
What does the newspaper say in English? Any official score sheets till out there???

I know one thing about 1971, if Wallace and i had electrical problems it was because the flywheel and crank shaft came out of the motor and ripped the wires with it.... Hi Ron Happy New year to you and all on this site. I had forgotton that Bill Seebold was driving with Rasini in 1971 this must have been around the last we saw of the Rasini brothers racing at Paris `both brothers had won this race in a previous year and I never heard much of them racing after this event.The winning driver who was teamed up with Downard in this event was Peliolio we had him over in the UK in june 1971 he was co driver to Molinari at the Chasewater 500 which consisted of a 2 day race 250miles each day I remember this race well I was lucky to be asked to co drive with Bill Shakespeare in 15ft stepped cat V4 Johnson we won the first days racing but lost out on the 2nd days race.6055760558

Ron Hill
01-03-2016, 11:00 AM
No I didn't get one. All I have is the flags for 1970, 1971 & 1972. I also have a medallion from Berlin in 1971.

What is the eBay # of the medallion, maybe I need it.

Did we finish in the top 5 in 1970? We were first Johnson & there was an award for that but don't know who got it.

1970 Paris, I think you were 4th at the last stop, but the steering had come way loose, and the OMC crew did a great job trying to fix it, but sent me on my way, I think we were 7th or 8th.

Might have been first Evinrude, as Sanders and Posey won with the Johnson.

I'll send you the E-Bay number when I get to the shop tomorrow, or....sell you mine LOL!

Ron Hill
01-11-2016, 05:25 PM
Hi Ron Happy New year to you and all on this site. I had forgotton that Bill Seebold was driving with Rasini in 1971 this must have been around the last we saw of the Rasini brothers racing at Paris `both brothers had won this race in a previous year and I never heard much of them racing after this event.The winning driver who was teamed up with Downard in this event was Peliolio we had him over in the UK in june 1971 he was co driver to Molinari at the Chasewater 500 which consisted of a 2 day race 250miles each day I remember this race well I was lucky to be asked to co drive with Bill Shakespeare in 15ft stepped cat V4 Johnson we won the first days racing but lost out on the 2nd days race.6055760558

What happened more than 40 years ago, seems easy to remember, I thought we broke down the last 30 minutes. But then again, I never let facts get in the way of a good story...Thanks for posting those cool old stories and pictures.

The only things I remember about the Rasini family was they always had body guards, and their daughter was SUPER FINE looking.

Didn't Bill Shakespeare die in a blow over at Lake Windemere?

Steve Pinson
01-15-2016, 12:30 PM
What happened more than 40 years ago, seems easy to remember, I thought we broke down the last 30 minutes. But then again, I never let facts get in the way of a good story...Thanks for posting those cool old stories and pictures.

The only things I remember about the Rasini family was they always had body guards, and their daughter was SUPER FINE looking.

Didn't Bill Shakespeare die in a blow over at Lake Windemere? Bill Shakespeare owned a boat manufacturing company he had been racing boats for many years and had won many races all over Europe.When I first met with him in 1968 I was surprised to see he was only around 5ft 2inch tall weighed around 130 lbs and reminded me of a jockey but he was a great man to know and we became good friends.In 1970 he had a choice of a Mercury twister 1 or a Johnson V4 outboard we even showed up at the Chasewater 500 mile race in 1970 with one of each bill drove the Johnson I drove the Mercury Bill had told the people at OMC he would drive a Johnson and told the Mercury people he would drive a Mercury so he decided we would swop outfits at refuelling time he said he wouldn't lie to them but my engine failed after 30mins and I can tell you the Mercury camp were non too pleased and removed the engine.In october of 1970 they held the first Windemere speed record attempt week for all classes hydros `offshore` ski-racing` etc allocating 1 day only for circuit racing boats.The ON world record at that time was 96mph so E P BARRUS were the Johnson outboard distributers and they wanted Bill to run one of his 15 ft GRP cats at this event.So Bill had a stepped hull moulded to the deck of a 15ft cat built of very lightweight GRP and foam decking.We had 1 trial run on the river Avon before heading for Windermere.The following morning at daybreak we were out testing Jack Leek had henrix send a 2 blade prop over for the 1 to 1 gearcase for us to try when Bill did his first run the engine sounded very busy but we only had the 1 prop.We waited for a slot around 11 oclock for the record attempt and Bill did the first run ok but on the return run the engine failed so we rang Bills factory at Tewksbury 200 miles away and they pulled the powerhead off the outfit Bill ran in the Paris 6hr 2 weeks before.Within 5hrs we had the new powerhead fitted around 4 oclock and Bill was off to try again.His engine was very busy and his 1st run was 119 mph his engine just managed to last the return run which was down to 89mph which made the new record 104 mph.I have posted a picture of the record boat on the trailer at Windermere.The picture of the no 15 boat was exactly 1 yr later when Bill lost his life in practise for the Windermere 3hr grand prix for this race Mercury had just sent Molinari to this race with their new 6c race outboard and bill was testing with a 1 to 1 gearcase hoping he could win this race even Jack Leek had flown in to watch.Now the no 15 boat he was using was a 15 ft stepped cat which Bill and myself had won one International race at Chasewater with and was a safe boat to drive .My opinion why he blew this boat over was he had for practise a workshop voltmeter on the floor of his boat to check the rpm I had used this myself and to read the small scale needed was around 6 maybe 8 seconds or more loss of concentration and strangely enough when he and his boat disappeared and sank without trace the voltmeter he had been looking at was floating nearby.

Ron Hill
01-15-2016, 04:26 PM
All I really recall is Jack Leek calling me when he got home, he said Bill Shakespeare had been killed in a blow over. Jack seemed pretty upset about it. Seems we were getting ready for Havasu. Death is just so permanent.

When you mentioned two blade 1 to 1 prop. After Scotti won Havasu, in '69, my dad bought eight sets of Record props, about $3,000 worth at the time. I remember John Woods bought two sets at Parker 1970. We lost four, at Havasu 1970. But Jack had bought all of them, like the one in the picture.