PDA

View Full Version : fc51

fbref5269
04-25-2009, 01:24 PM
hi all,

i found the trailer that was owned by ted lewis whose marchetti i am restoriing. that will be cool to have the boat and the trailer reunited considering the boat was found in shrevsport, la and the trailer was founf in trappe, md(2 hours from my house.

along with the trailer was a c looper, c51. paul if you acn look thios up the the big book and see whose it was that would be great. the engine has issues though. the pictures in this posting shows not just a hole, but a GASH where the rod decided to exit. i have been told that more looper blew on dry land than in a race. this is a case in point. they were tuning it with a test wheel and didn't have enough load on it. oooops.

frank

Original Looper 1
04-25-2009, 02:56 PM
Frank,

I can't believe your luck! You hit the motherload again! Your FC-51 Quincy Looper was originally owned by the world famous boat racer, Jerry Simison. What a find! I would most definitely restore it back to it's original state as it is indeed a historicly significant engine.

It appears, along with the serial number confirmation in the Quincy Welding production log books, as the motor was manufactured in early 1965. Wow!

Paul A Christner

geodavid
04-25-2009, 03:02 PM
Frank,
Congratulations! Cannot wait to see this motor after you have restored it. Could you tell us a bit on how you located this motor after so many years?
When do you think it was last raced?
Alan

fbref5269
04-25-2009, 04:01 PM
hi all,

not much of a story on the find. i was talking to someone about ted lewis's marchetti i'm restoring and he told me he knew where ted's 1953 trailer was. i called the gentleman and he had the trailer and he also had a c looper if i was interested. i thought for a milisecond and said yes. i had no idea anything about the looper. i told hi i wanted it 5 months ago and just picked it up today. i will get more info on it as soon as i can.

i don't want to name anyone but what i am about to write is true. i picked up ted lewis's trailer today from a super person. he knew ted very well and spoke to him every sunday until ted passed away. i picked up the trailer today and stayed there for 2 hours just talking. the gentleman called me on the way home 'to see how i was making out'. actually he was in tears because the yellow trailer was gone. i assured him it was in good hands and will be restored the ted's original colors. this made me think how important some things can be to someone who received them from a friend who has since passed away. i guess what i'm saying it's important to keep these engines, boats and trailers around so others can share the history behind them. that's what collecting and restoration is all about. i stopped at home depot and got several cans of rustoleum and started to get some paint on the bare metal. i'll post some trailer pictures soon. when complete it will be displayed at aomci events and antique boat society events also loaded with a 1964 marchetti and a 1965 sidson.

fc51 will come to life again, so will ted's trailer.

frank

Gene East
04-26-2009, 02:13 AM
This motor looks like a real challenge, but you've proven that you are up to the challenge.

Keep us posted on your progress!

fbref5269
04-27-2009, 10:15 AM
gene and all,

fc51 is under the wrench! just like a box of cracker jacks i won't know what is inside until i get it apart. i did notice a few things so far, the fuel system has a collector box where the main fuel line goes and then to the pumps. this is the first one i've seen. also it looks like the engine passed thru stan levenduski's hands at one time, the 2 piece heads have S L stamped on the top and the block has STAN 11DUSKI stamped on it. not sure what modifications were made by stan. righ now the block is soaking in wd40 to try to loosen up the pistons.

i'm going to make a display board for the pieces that were left from the oops.

frank