PDA

View Full Version : xf34

fbref5269
05-06-2009, 02:30 PM
hi all,

it stopped raining enough to take a few pictures of xf34. i bought it last may at mays landing, nj at an aomci meet. there are a few minor things i have to do but it goes back there on may 16th to show. i have a before picture the dave augustine took last year and a few restoration pictures that i took today.

paul do you have the history on this 44 looper? she's a beast!

this will go on the ted lewis's marchetti being restored.

hope you all enjoy the pictures. i put one picture in to show how polished the tank is, you can my reflection on the tank.

frank novotny
collector of olf things that were new when i raced

F-12
05-06-2009, 02:49 PM
Frank.........You have combined 2 of the best things in life..........The sound of a 44 flathead, and the beauty of a Rolex watch. Probably the best looking F I have ever seen. Thanks for sharing it with us...........

fbref5269
05-06-2009, 02:55 PM
forgot the before shot.

frank

Jeff Lytle
05-06-2009, 06:12 PM
You can see you're wearing a Marchetti t shirt in the reflection of the tank!

Gene East
05-06-2009, 07:08 PM
Prrrreeeettttttttyyyyyyyyy!

fbref5269
05-06-2009, 07:21 PM
jeff,

you're right i was wearing my marchetti t-shirt, you've been watching too many csi or ncis shows. i can't wait now to get the boat ready. the next looper to get a makeover is fc51.

thanks charlie and gene for your kind words.i've said it before it's you guys that give me the encouragement to work on these engines.

frank

Original Looper 1
05-07-2009, 03:18 PM
Frank,

Another fantastic restoration job! My father would be very proud of how you are helping to carry on the legacy of the Quincy Looper race engines.

As to XF-34, it was originally owned, according to the Quincy Welding production record books, by St. Louis, Missouri's Walter Courtois. The engine was built in 1967. Walter was the man to beat at that time in C-D-F runabout. If he was running at his best, it was very unusual for him to be beat. Walter was also an expert in meticulously building outboard racing engines. He was the 'go to' guy in the St. Louis area for many years.

I will look thru the dyno cards to see if there's one on this particular Looper. If so, I will post it later.

Frank, if that engine runs as good as it looks, you'd better hang on tight! :eek:

Paul A. Christner

Jeff Lytle
05-07-2009, 03:39 PM
I heard that! :D

geodavid
05-08-2009, 06:55 AM
Frank, I agree with P.C. You are keeping the sound alive! Your work is documenting boat racing history. Motors no longer snap back and run backwards like the Loopers when they are being cranked. Thank you for maintaining history and posting these great pictures.

Dave_E71
05-08-2009, 05:08 PM
Do a better job trimming the zip ties next time.... :mad:

The ones I did for you didn't look like your pet possum gnawed them off. :)

You can see you're wearing a Marchetti t shirt in the reflection of the tank!
Yes Jeff. it's much better than when he was selling a teapot on ebay....
(go to http://www.snopes.com/ and search for tea kettle)

Gene East
05-09-2009, 04:46 AM
Frank, I agree with P.C. You are keeping the sound alive! Your work is documenting boat racing history. Motors no longer snap back and run backwards like the Loopers when they are being cranked. Thank you for maintaining history and posting these great pictures.

Alan,

Loopers would only run backwards if you didn't pull the rope hard enough.

I once told Tim Chance; you 140# drivers should take better care of your 200# pit crew members.

Tim said, "140#! Who are you calling fat"?

David Mason
05-11-2009, 10:46 AM
Anyone remember Mel Whitcher ? He could lift and rope a pro engine at the same time.... He was one you would call Sir. I was a very young kid around that time. I remember the last time I saw him, at a Mod race in I beleive Kingston TN or Soddy Daisy TN. He had a new motorcyle, can't recall if it was a Harley or not, but it was one fast two wheeler. He took me for a ride on it out on the highway. He could give some throttle at 90MPH and pop a wheelie. I thought that thing was the coolest back then. I remember that ride like yesterday. Might help explain why I like to go fast in boats too.

Gene East
05-12-2009, 04:29 AM
Last time I saw Mel, (We called him "Little Speck") was at the memorial race for O.F. Christner in Quincy. He and his brother Jimmy were racing RC boats at the time.

His Dad "Big Speck" was a huge man, well over 300#. He could yank a rope too!

I believe the correct spelling of their name is Wilsher or Wilscher. Bill Van, help us out here!

They ran a shop in Kansas City called:

Speck's Speed and Sports Sales and Service.

That's a mouthfull!

Say Something Similar Seven times in Six Seconds.

They had red boats. The CD boat was named "Big Red". The AB boat was named "Little Red".

We sold them one of our AB boats. Of course it was YELLOW.

Rather than re-paint the boat, they simply named it "Ain't So Red"!

Bill Van Steenwyk
05-12-2009, 12:07 PM
Gene:

I think the above spelling is the right one, although I could be in error. I have not lived in KC since 1973 so have lost contact with a lot of those folks, although I did see Jimmy at a USTS race in St. Joe, Mo., a few years back. Melvin was not there at the time I saw Jimmy, and I am sure I asked about him but don't remember the answer.

"Speck" had very good equipment but suffered from being quite large as you mentioned. I never saw him in a boat, and don't know whether he ever drove himself or not. Melvin along with several others drove the equipment in the late 60's and early 70's. I seem to remember an incident with Speck at DePue in that time frame when he was holding up the back of a D runabout with a Flathead on it. The motor started and immediately pitched a blade off the prop, just narrowly missing him. I seem to remember the blade ended up in the side of someone elses boat but I'm not sure about that.

Next time I talk to Tom Berry I will ask him if he has any info on the Wilcher's these days. Another person from KC that is a member here is Don Dando. He was very good friends with the Wilcher family also. I contacted him a couple of years ago with a PM about something else and he answered right away, so if you want further info he might be a source too.

bill boyes
05-12-2009, 12:49 PM
Don Dando still is in the KC area. A retired TWA'er at KCAC. Has a ton of motors and stuff. He restores Speedliners. Speedliner@sbcglobel.net

Bill Van Steenwyk
05-13-2009, 12:03 PM
Asked Tom Berry about Melvin and he replied he has not seen him for about 10years. Last he saw him he was still in the boat and motor repair business.

Master Oil Racing Team
05-13-2009, 08:01 PM
I have a vague recollection of a boat trailer that was white with Speck's Speed Shop or what Gene said painted red. They may have come to Beaumont to race at the Neches River Festival around 1967 or 68. I might have a picture. I'll check.