PDA

View Full Version : Rocky Stone...

Ron Hill
12-06-2004, 07:32 PM
Some have e-mailed about Gentlemen Boat racers....Well, you know when you think about it.

Rocky was one. From Willamina, Oregon. They have the Kilo Trials every year, called The Rocky Stone Memorial Kilos...but long before Rocky was gone he helped the club with support and CASH.

I really don't know all of Rocky's accomplishments, but I know that from the time I can remember, Rocky's was considered the BEST RUNABOUT Driver in the Nation.

He never EXPECTED something from the sport, he gave to the sport!!

In 1977, when I won the D Runabout Nationals, Rocky told me that he felt that was the finest race he'd ever seen driven....that meant more to me the the trophy!!!

I think Rocky won FIVE Hearst Regatta in a row!!! He and my father were competitors, but my dad never beat him.

They became great friends and work several Nationals together.

All of Rocky;s boats were called MY GIRL.... A true GENTLEMAN RACER!!!

Here's a picture from the June 1959, Propeller magazine...

Ron Hill
12-06-2004, 07:39 PM
Reading who raced, a book could be written about the names...Ray Hullett was Commodore... He worked on most machined parts on all "DOC" JONES/JACK LEEK ear OMC race motors..I didn't know him in his racing days....but one great guy.

MikeStoneSr
12-13-2004, 11:19 PM
Hi Ron
Hear is a photo of the Hearst Tropy My Dad Retierd.

You Have A good Day!
Mike Stone Sr

Joe J
12-15-2004, 05:24 PM
Mike:

I could be wrong, but I believe the trophy in the picture os the Millot Trophy. This is NCOA's perpetual trophy for the sportsman of the year.

I say I could be wrong since you could well know more than me, but the Millot trophy lived in our living room for a year, and it looks exactly like the one pictured. It was give to my wife about 7 years ago.

Joe Johnson

Ron Hill
12-15-2004, 07:34 PM
Joe, I know Rocky did in fact retire the Hearst Trophy in C Racing Runabout....Great picture of Rocky, I wondered myself if this was the Hearst Trophy as my brother had one in 1949...

Do you know who Ernie Millot was?

I like this picture, don't take it down, maybe edit it....

Joe J
12-15-2004, 07:42 PM
All I know about Ernie millot was that he owned a sporting goods store in Stockton, and was killed in I believe 1929 in a racing accident.

Somewhere I have a complete list of winners of the Millot trophy, if I can find it, I'll post it.

Joe

Ron Hill
12-15-2004, 07:51 PM
Ernie Millot's wife, later married Bud Wiget...

Ernie was killed in an F Runabout by a man named John J. Kavockovich. He quit racing after the accident. When I went to college in Arizona I met a kid who's parents started Circle K Markets, they called him Kavoc...he was John J.'s nehpew...

Rocky was a Sportman..
Do publish the list...

Northern California is so rich with OUTBOARD HISTORY, it will be great to see it unfold in our encyclopedia...

I'd love to know your wife's family's boat racing history!!!

MikeStoneSr
12-23-2004, 10:36 PM
Mike:

I could be wrong, but I believe the trophy in the picture os the Millot Trophy. This is NCOA's perpetual trophy for the sportsman of the year.

I say I could be wrong since you could well know more than me, but the Millot trophy lived in our living room for a year, and it looks exactly like the one pictured. It was give to my wife about 7 years ago.

Joe Johnson

Hi Joe
This is The Hearst Trophy Rockey retierd With the three of 5 wins. They put up another tropy about half the size of this one and he won it the next two years, Then missed. After that year they stoped the race. They offered him the tropy because he had two legs on it. Being the type of guy he was, he told them to let the other driver Keep it because he had the first one.
As Ron said he was a true gentlmen Driver. I know of one nationals he lost because he got beat by his own eqipment, he let someone else use. Hal Talford Broke a lower unit at Depue and Rocky let him use his spare. Hal tried every thing he could to get dad to sell him that lower unit. He said he ran faster with it than he ever had.
Dad was a tool and Die maker when he was younger. A freind of his brought an outboard in for him to line bore. He always said the motor was several miles an hour faster afterward. He got to thinking, how much faster he could make one go if he realy went though it and made sure every thing was true on it. He built a motor, got a boat, and ran it in his first race. he placed first beating the last years winner. As the story goes he was hook for life

You have a good day!
Mike Sr.

Ps Here is a picture of Rockey at Green Lake Wa. in 1953. I belive He's running 'D' stock hydro

MikeStoneSr
03-11-2005, 02:19 PM
Here are some more photos of Rockey. If any one has any Photos for Rockey they would like to share with me, Please send them to MikeStoneSr@Hotmail.com.

Thanks
Mike Stone Sr
You Have a Good Day!

jrome
03-12-2005, 08:56 PM
Mike, I do not know if you have this photo from a 1959 APBA Championship Program in Minden, La. September 26 & 27, 1959

Mark75H
03-12-2005, 09:05 PM
Joe, could you email me a bigger higher resolution version of that scan?

Mark75H@aol.com

mercguy
03-14-2005, 08:40 PM
Here are some more photos of Rockey. If any one has any Photos for Rockey they would like to share with me, Please send them to MikeStoneSr@Hotmail.com.

Thanks
Mike Stone Sr
You Have a Good Day!

Mike, have you talked with any of the Downing's from Washinton state? I know Rocky was Mike Downing's idol when he was growing up and Rocky is who got Mike started in boat racing, from what he told me. I think Mike consider Rocky a father figure........

I am told Rocky ran this McDonald hydro I have a couple times in C Service.......

MikeStoneSr
03-17-2005, 08:59 PM
Thanks Joe

No, I do not Have a copy of this. It's a great picture and great article.
It would be nice if I could get a good high resolution copy of it emailed to me.
this artical has great information on Rockey's early years of racing. I have some information from the 60's and am always looking for more. My email address is MikeStoneSr@hotmail.com

Thanks Joe
You have good day!
Mike Stone Sr

Ron Hill
03-17-2005, 09:11 PM
Mercguy,

If you are restoring this boat, you have to sand the corners of the transom at the top...I'll help you, but they weren't square....

Also, all the McDonalds had cloth decks. Ted may was the first one to figure out it was easier and lighter to just use plywood on the deck...

BUT, you done some great jobs retoring old boats and painting new ones...

MikeStoneSr
03-17-2005, 09:34 PM
Thanks Daren

All of Rockey's Hydros were built by Mac. I don't know if this is one of his boats or not all the hydros I remember Dad having had cloth decks. In the 60' Dad would get a new one evey year. Mac would charge him what ever he sold the old one for. When Rockey would take the new boat to a race and run all first place heats in 'C' Service and 'C' Racing, Mac would get a dozen orders for a copy of the new boat. Mack also built "My Girl", She was a copy of a Charle Shirly Phantom Hull. The Marine Museum at Astorea Oregon has this boat now. He won the Nationls with this boat in 1957. Although he ran De silva's runabouts for a long time, he kept "My Girl" to run for kelo records at Devils Lake. The picture Joe posted looks like and early one of this boat. The Picture I posted of R-26 was of Rocky trying for a Kelo record a Devils lake.

Thanks
You have a good Day!
Mike Stone Sr

Ron Hill
03-17-2005, 10:34 PM
First, I know this hydro had cloth decks...

But, I suspect, this may not be a McDonald hull...

I'm not sure were Mercguy got the boat, but I know that my brothers two Sid Crafts ended up in San Diego and that Jeff Fritz's Sid (Actually Pat Conner's) ended up in Yuma, which is just over the hill from San Diego...

All three Sid's had dark wold cockpit combings like McDonald used. Accident or whatever, most California Sid Crafts had dark wood for cockpit sides.

I can tell Sid Craft workmanship from McDonald....the air traps on the boat in the picture look like my brother's old boat....as I changed the traps after the 1965 Nationals (Also, the spruce I used was not vertical grain...as those traps appear to have cross cut wood for traps).. Another thought, I set the motor back, six inches on my brother's Sid, to be like my 1995 Sid I bought from Stan Armstrong....and the set back was bolted on by about 12 bolts..This is why the transom may have need replacement.

Probably, no one cares...but me...

John Schubert T*A*R*T
03-18-2005, 06:39 AM

I'm not sure were Mercguy got the boat, but I know that my brothers two Sid Crafts ended up in San Diego and that Jeff Fritz's Sid (Actually Pat Conner's) ended up in Yuma, which is just over the hill from San Diego...

All three Sid's had dark wold cockpit combings like McDonald used. Accident or whatever, most California Sid Crafts had dark wood for cockpit sides.

I can tell Sid Craft workmanship from McDonald....the air traps on the boat in the picture look like my brother's old boat....as I changed the traps after the 1965 Nationals (Also, the spruce I used was not vertical grain...as those traps appear to have cross cut wood for traps).. Another thought, I set the motor back, six inches on my brother's Sid, to be like my 1995 Sid I bought from Stan Armstrong....and the set back was bolted on by about 12 bolts..This is why the transom may have need replacement.

Ron, Sid Copy. If you look at the coaming sides at the transom, they are just tapered from the top down to the deck. With the exception of the "A" boat most of them had the coaming extended beyond the transom about 2 - 3 inches with a plate attached to the inside of the coaming to lock in the transom. The top & bottom edges of the end of the coaming including the inside piece was rounded with an approximate 1" radius. I have had plenty of Sid Crafts & Sid Sons and saw many more at races and under construction as the Schubert's & Urytzki's were close friends. Sid & Bobby went with us on several trips to Depue.

I'm still thinking that Daren's boat is a Macdonald, as hus looked a lot like a Sid. Someone could have put the wood decks on, which was tricky without changing the stringers as there is a slight compound bend. We found that out with my Jacoby as Hal Kelly put full wood decks on it.

Ron Hill
03-18-2005, 08:29 AM
The 1960-62 Sid's transon were flat...first "D" I saw with the transom "set Back" was the 1965 of Stan's that we bought.

Your other point about the combing, I don't quite follow...

The air taps just looked like my brother's, and he sold it to Lynn Buckles in San Diego...and Darren leves right about where Buckles did...but Darren does know boats..probably, a McDonald.

John Schubert T*A*R*T
03-18-2005, 09:09 AM
The 1960-62 Sid's transon were flat...first "D" I saw with the transom "set Back" was the 1965 of Stan's that we bought.

Your other point about the combing, I don't quite follow...

The air taps just looked like my brother's, and he sold it to Lynn Buckles in San Diego...and Darren leves right about where Buckles did...but Darren does know boats..probably, a McDonald.
See this sketch.

mercguy
03-19-2005, 02:32 PM
Mercguy,

If you are restoring this boat, you have to sand the corners of the transom at the top...I'll help you, but they weren't square....

Also, all the McDonalds had cloth decks. Ted may was the first one to figure out it was easier and lighter to just use plywood on the deck...

BUT, you done some great jobs retoring old boats and painting new ones...

Ron, Frank Z installed the new transom and deck. I did not want the cloth deck anymore. Also there is supposed to be a curved overhand from the rear of the top of the sponson and to the deck, which Frank did not do. So, when I have some time, it will be done correctly........I hope!

mercguy
03-19-2005, 02:35 PM

I gurantee it is a McDonald Ron. It has just had a few changes done to it. I bought it from a guy in Eastern Oregon about 6yrs ago........

mercguy
03-19-2005, 02:36 PM
Ron, Sid Copy. If you look at the coaming sides at the transom, they are just tapered from the top down to the deck. With the exception of the "A" boat most of them had the coaming extended beyond the transom about 2 - 3 inches with a plate attached to the inside of the coaming to lock in the transom. The top & bottom edges of the end of the coaming including the inside piece was rounded with an approximate 1" radius. I have had plenty of Sid Crafts & Sid Sons and saw many more at races and under construction as the Schubert's & Urytzki's were close friends. Sid & Bobby went with us on several trips to Depue.

I'm still thinking that Daren's boat is a Macdonald, as hus looked a lot like a Sid. Someone could have put the wood decks on, which was tricky without changing the stringers as there is a slight compound bend. We found that out with my Jacoby as Hal Kelly put full wood decks on it.

John, would you believe how much of a talker that McDonalds son was at the dinner..........shez!!!!!

Dr. Thunder
03-19-2005, 07:31 PM
... The Marine Museum at Astorea Oregon has this boat now. He won the Nationls with this boat in 1957.

Rocky was one of my favorite drivers to watch when I was teen "wannabe" racer ... heard his boat was at the Marine museum so made a trip down to take a look and they said it was long gone ... anyone have any idea as to who, what and where?

MikeStoneSr
03-20-2005, 02:11 AM
I was down and talked to the Curator just a little over a year ago. At that time the boat was in a wharehose. It was not beeing displayed. I was told that with prior arrangements the boat could be viewed. When were you there? I guess, I'll have to give them another call and find out what it's status
is or what they did with it. Pat Stone (my Step Mom) Jhon that restored it, tried to get it back after they decided not to put it on dissplay. and they would not even sell it back to them. Pat is Planning on putting the things see Still has of Dad's in a museum in Willamina.

Thanks
Mike Stone Sr
You Have a Good Day!

Dr. Thunder
03-20-2005, 11:21 AM
Mike: You are most likely correct as the curator I spoke to may not have known the boat was in storage. He simply indicated that it had not been a display item for quit some time and didn't know where it was or who had it.

My visit was during our family's annual vacation at Cannon Beach .. probably was the summer of 03' maybe 02'.

Any chance you could post more racing photos ... I know many people would love to see them. Thanks.
Neal Baum
Edmonds, WA

Ron Hill
03-21-2005, 04:49 PM
Here is me, in my Brother's 1960 Sid Craft (C-6)...you can see Jimbo's "D" Motor next to me...But this Sid has the "SQUARE" transom, like the McDonald...

Then, 19-C is me at Modesto, 1964, in Ted May's 1962 Sid.

No wonder yous guys was so fast, you had set back transoms...something, I didn't see until 1965...on Sid...

Cameraboy
04-04-2005, 08:02 PM
I was down and talked to the Curator just a little over a year ago. At that time the boat was in a wharehose. It was not beeing displayed. I was told that with prior arrangements the boat could be viewed. When were you there? I guess, I'll have to give them another call and find out what it's status is or what they did with it. Pat Stone (my Step Mom) Jhon that restored it, tried to get it back after they decided not to put it on dissplay. and they would not even sell it back to them. Pat is Planning on putting the things see Still has of Dad's in a museum in Willamina.

Exactly a year ago, "My Girl" was part of the Oregon A to Z exhibit at the Oregon Historical Museum in downtown Portland.

I'm a member of the club (CORA) that puts on the Rocky Stone Memorial Kilos each year. It's great reading all of this info about him. If no one objects, we'd like to use some of the images posted here on our website (http://www.harborbeacon.com/cora.shtml) on a History page (about time we got some Oregon racing news back on there). I was just thinking of posting this picture to see what kind of discussion it would start when I ran across this thread.

ferv888ipba
04-21-2005, 01:05 PM
Mike,
Your Dad was on fine fellow. I used to help him when he came to DePue and raced at the nationals there. He used to get nervous as an old hen as the day wore on and his class was coming up.

I remember that he got to DePue the weekend before the nationals and held court during the week. Pat and your Dad were so much fun together. He Mauel Canarkis(sp?), and Bob Ziemer were always at one another during the week. I was just a kid and not to bright and your Dad had to tell me about Manuel's team name WOISME racing. Wo is me fit Manuel perfectly.

The first time I met your Dad was when he had a flywheel come off of one of the service engines and lit it the boat with him. It tore a good portion of his hiny up and he was proud as heck to drop trow and show anyone who wanted to look and even those who did not. What a laugh we got out of his pain.

I remember him telling the story of Marshall Grant wanting to buy his equipment and according to Rocky he kept telling him no. Then one day Marshall called again seeking the equipment and after being told no for the upteenth time, Marshall said hold on someone wants to talk to you. A voice boomed out, "Hello Rocky, this is Johnny Cash and I want Marshall to have that equipment." Rocky loved to tell that story.

Please tell your Mom I said hello, I was the kid that met them at Sparks one Labor Day weekend, and hope she remembers.

Ray :D

driver-x
07-13-2006, 06:58 PM
Here is another from my archive the back of the photo just says Rocky Stone
Seatle 8-15-50

enjoy

MikeStoneSr
08-14-2006, 11:21 AM
More photos and info on Rockey. These photos are some of the last kelo runs Rockey made at Devels Lake OR. If any one else out there has any photos of Rockey I wouldsure like to see them.

Thanks Mike Stone Sr

Starflite
02-15-2010, 06:44 AM
John, would you believe how much of a talker that McDonalds son was at the dinner..........shez!!!!!

Call it over-zealous.

Starflite
02-15-2010, 06:47 AM
I liked your dad. He spent a lot of time at our house if I remember right.

MarkD
02-15-2010, 10:02 AM
Starflite -

One of my first race boats was built by your dad - an A Stock Hydro that I bought from Lister's in 1968. Nice shot of the Starflite in your avtar. Here are a few the boat in 1974 from the National Enquirer when Gerry Walin blew it over at about 150 mph and got hurt.

Mark

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e4/markdemaray/olddays007.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e4/markdemaray/olddays008.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e4/markdemaray/olddays006.jpg

russhill
02-15-2010, 12:57 PM
I just saw this thread and felt obligated to put in my 2 cents worth about one of the greatest racers ever. As a kid I always said the name "Rocky Stone" in awe. Of course I never spoke to him in my early years. It was years later before I ever shook his hand.

In his own words, Rocky told many many years later that his Hearst accomplishments were his greatest victories.

The William Randolph Heast Regatta was clearly thee race of the West Coast. I don't think "Nationals" got to the West Coast. I only knew one person who ever went to the "Nationals". Fred Mulkey went to the Nationals in New Jersey in 1939, because he had a Hollywood sponsor. I won the Hearst once and Ron's still bragging about it.

The Hearst was run all during the war (WWII) and it was one of the only sporting event that was. So anyway, Rocky came all the way down from Oregon in 1943 or 44 (I don't know how he got the gasoline) and won straight heats in C Racing Runabout. The world was awe stricken.

He subsequently won straight heats in the next four years. This was his most proud accomplishment, winning 10 straight heats in the annual Hearts Regatta.

His runabout was a round nose, linen decked "Phantom" built by Charles Shirley. He won all 5 Hearsts with that boat.

Rocky ranks very high on my "Most Respected" list.

Master Oil Racing Team
02-15-2010, 07:00 PM
With all the computer problems I have had lately, I missed a lot of posts. Today I saw that you had posted in a number of threads Starflite and I was going to comment on how the earlier Starflite record that stood for so long had an effect on my getting into boat racing. Miss Bardahl, Citation and Starflite got my heart pumping to go fast on the water. So when I saw that post of Daren's, I got curious and wanted to see what Mr. McDonald's Son posted about his interests. Wow....what a surprise! Enjoy your posts. Keep them up.

There was onother thread regarding the cabover hull design and Entrop VS McDonald boat building. I hope you can expand upon that. I briefly skimmed through an article over the weekend in one of the old magazines that mentioned one of the races in the northwest that featured Hu Entrop, and McDonald taking over building of the cabovers.

Starflite
02-15-2010, 09:44 PM
Starflite -

One of my first race boats was built by your dad - an A Stock Hydro that I bought from Lister's in 1968. Nice shot of the Starflite in your avtar. Here are a few the boat in 1974 from the National Enquirer when Gerry Walin blew it over at about 150 mph and got hurt.

Mark

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e4/markdemaray/olddays007.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e4/markdemaray/olddays008.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e4/markdemaray/olddays006.jpg

Thanks! I do have that copy but yours is much better quality. I also have the Sports Illustrated mag that it was in as well. So sad...:(

MikeStoneSr
03-04-2010, 12:26 PM
Can someone tell me what the criterion was for these awards, any history of the Awards, and who voted on them.

The George Towsend Medel
The Col. Green Round Hill Trophy
The Silver Prop Award

These are some of the award Rockey won. The George Towsend Medel, 3 times. The Col. Geen Round Hill Tropy at least once (this one I'am not sure of). The Silver Prop award 3 times. Iv'e seen some conflicking information on these award.

You Have a Good Day
Mike Stone Sr.

John Schubert T*A*R*T
03-04-2010, 02:11 PM
Can someone tell me what the criterion was for these awards, any history of the Awards, and who voted on them.

The George Towsend Medel
The Col. Green Round Hill Trophy
The Silver Prop Award

These are some of the award Rockey won. The George Towsend Medel, 3 times. The Col. Geen Round Hill Tropy at least once (this one I'am not sure of). The Silver Prop award 3 times. Iv'e seen some conflicking information on these award.

You Have a Good Day
Mike Stone Sr.

The George Townsend Medal at that time was awarded to the driver that attained the most points in all alky classes during the racing year. Ted May was awarded the medal in 1968 & I won it in 1969. That medal is now given to the high point driver in "K" Pro. The Silver prop award was an award to a driver in individual categories that excelled during the year, high points, national championships, records, etc. & was given by a boating magazine, I believe Outboard.

I'm not sure about the Col. Green Round Hill Trophy. I believe at one time it was given to the high point winner from the Grapefruit circuit, but could have been for other achievements. It now is given to the Pro (alky) driver who achieves the most points in all classes having replaced the George Townsend medal.

Someone will check the criteria for each in the APBA rules & regs. I would but not in my workshop wher my books are. If no one responds, I'll check alter & advise.

MikeStoneSr
03-26-2010, 02:04 PM
Thanks John

Maybe someone can tell me if a driver could be both an amateur and pro in different Class in the 40's. I have pictures from 1938, showing Rockey running pro numbers. But there seems to be photos of him running Amateur numbers when he won the "D" Stock runabout nationals. I always thought once you were a pro you could not run as an amateur. What do you think? Does anyone now about this?

Thanks Mike Sr.

MikeStoneSr
04-08-2010, 09:00 PM
I Think maybe, I can answer my own question. I was talking to My Step Mom the other day (Pat Stone) and she made the statement, when the stocks came in. Then Greg McDonald sent me a page from, The Vintage Culture of Outboard Racing by Peter Hunn. It said that at one time the Letter was used first for Alcohol-powered boats, and came after the digits on Stock Outboard hulls. Also meaningfull, were odd numbers, assigned to amateur drivers, while even figures belonged to the pros. I have seen dad numbers with R26, R25, 26R, 2R and others. So, the even odd doesn't seem to fit what do you think.

Thanks Mike Stone Sr

MikeStoneSr
04-08-2010, 11:35 PM
Here are some photos of Dad's boat No's

Mark75H
04-09-2010, 04:38 AM
Wow Mike, those are great!

John Schubert T*A*R*T
04-09-2010, 06:15 AM
Here are some photos of Dad's boat No's

When I started racing in the early 50's & continues today, a letter for the state(s) then a number was for Alky now Pro. Stock Outboard was number first then then letter. In the early 50's until 1955, Stock Runabouts had single or double digit numbers & all hydros had triple digits starting with a 5, then 6, then 7. For example, 519-J, 645-N, 756-C. In 1955 they eliminated that system & went to the same numbering system as with runabouts for all stock classes. Early on you couldn't have the same number on multiple boats in different classes by the same owner/driver, but that changed as well. A driver in AU & BU could have the same number on both boats, same for hydros. Now the amateur/professional numbering system. There was a difference for amateur & pro as early on it was felt that if drivers were to go on to amateur sports they could not win money only trophies or merchandise, so you registered with your annual membership amateur or professional. Amateurs were assigned odd numbers & pros even numbers, although all raced against each other. Where there was money awards, the awards for the amateurs was usually given to the parents. This changed by the early 60's. There was one other confusing numbering system for the Stocks & that was the awarding of the 1-US & 2-US numbers at the end of the year. Originally, 1-US was awarded to the Amateur high point winner & 2-US to the professional. This later changed to 1-US as the national Champion & 2-US to the high point champion, or maybe just reversed. Not sure how that works today.

Ron Hill
04-09-2010, 07:25 PM
"ROCKY STONE" is still a name in the Hill Family that stops conversation and if you know the Hills, everyone talks at once.

Thanks for posting the great pictures of Rocky.

I guess, I thought Pat was gone. If you see her please give her my regards. I don't think I've seen her in 30 years!!!!

She kind got mad at me in Utah, 1973, said, "I got Rocky drunk"..... Me get someone drunk????

Rocky was "THE MAN" to beat, I'm glad they still have the Rocky Stone Kilos. After I'm gone they'll probably has the BS Nationals and MINI BOAT ENDURO in my honor!!!!

MikeStoneSr
04-09-2010, 09:59 PM
Thanks Sam! I have a lot more from the early 40s' I'm trying to get scanned in.

Tanks John! How does this photo from 1953 of R80 "Over Easy" fit in with what you are saying.

Thanks Ron! I'm going to see Pat tomorrow. I will give her you best wishes and ask her about Utah. Rockey was known to spend time bs'ing about racing. When we were kids, he would take us to the boat show hear in Portland. We would have to leave him, to talk to people, if we wanted to see any of the show.

Aquabug
10-30-2010, 05:01 PM
I am restoring a DU runabout built by my father Wilbur McDonald that, I believe, was made for Rockey Stone. On the stripped-down sides I can see the faint outline of the number 26-R in the same style Rockey used on his boat numbers. A more legible name on the deck reads "Mooe Too" in script lettering, but that may have been applied later.

Pat Stone kindly let me borrow and scan Rockey's scrapbooks. In these pictures, as well as the one Mike Stone has previously posted, the R-1 looks just like the DU I have. The APBA rule was changed in 1957 to allow a plywood insert covering the forward cockpit, so I am guessing the squared-off cockpit was to facilitate the cover. At some point the requirement of the front cockpit was eliminated altogether, but I am not sure what year that was.

Rockey won the Sammamish Slough race in D class in August 1955 with the Calkins 26-R. A couple weeks later at the Devils Lake Nationals, he set a 5-mile competition record. The official certificate lists the hull as a McDonald, number as 26-R, and the name as "My Boy".

Rockey won National high-point in DU in 1956. I am guessing the 2-US picture is taken at Dorena Lake, OR in 1957, although that does not appear to be Rockey driving. Bruce Haskell, Region 10 Chairman from Seattle, is crew (and I am guessing that is Bruce's son that Rockey gave a ride in 2-R.)

I hope someone can fill in the blanks for me with pictures or information on this boat in particular, or any other McDonald boat that may be out there.

Gregg McDonald

Mark75H
10-30-2010, 06:21 PM
Thanks Gregg. We are looking forward to more from you. :):):)