PDA

View Full Version : Evinrude 25/35 idling problems

bhunts
09-10-2009, 07:48 AM
This is probably pretty basic talk around here, but I am not too experienced with outboard motor repair.

Last evening I replaced the carburetor on my 1993 Evinrude with a 35 hp model I bought from a local parts store. Once installed (electric starter bracket removal was fun!) the motor started up but died when I tried to give it gas. I am not sure of the condition of the carb. It looks clean but who knows. It does hold prime though.

When I did throttle the engine, I did not see that the butterfly opened all the way. This is in neutral only so maybe it is different in gear??? I took care not to disturb the linkage when replacing the carbs.

Also the idle speed has definitely increased so I will need to adjust. What is the proper procedure with the idle screw on the front of the carb?

Any other ideas how I could remedy the prob. I plan on taking out to the water this evening for further testing.

JohnsonM50
09-10-2009, 12:43 PM
Ok starting with the basics, Id assume your gas is good, the tank & lines are clean & the fuel pump screen is clear of debris, working & go from there. You mentioned a 35HP carb but Im not clear on whether the motors a 25 or 35. The carburaters are different but should work ok.
If the idle is high you should be sure the timing/throttle syncrnization are set so when you adj. the needle it will idle down. If you adj. it while running on a hose with earmuffs you may find that its lean when you actually have it in water. Thats because the midsection being full of water will effect back pressure & volume of the mid. [best done on the boat in water]. The timing pickup adj. should be in the manual & can be done w/o the motor running. [sorry I dont have one for that later model]
Now to the carb itself. It may only need to warm up to rev. It wont open all the way in neutral but should rev to the point where it stops no problem. If its actually getting the right amount of gas & the prime holds the float level could still be off. [not likely to cause the problem you describe tho] If the float bowl vent were semi clogged it could do that. I found a dead bug in one & that was it, same symptom. If the high speed fixed jet is gunked up it could idle but not go. Theres also a center gasket that supposed to be there [where the upright tube is, on top between the bowl & body] I hope I covered the problem somewhere in this, if I think of more Ill post again. Good Luck.