PDA

View Full Version : Call For History Of Local Racing Clubs

seacow
09-15-2009, 12:53 PM
Before older members of existing and defunct racing clubs are no longer able to share history, memories and photos, we should make a record of the clubs, their members and activities for posterity. They were and are important not only to racing but also to our national and local cultural and sports heritage.

Region 11 is to be commended for posting old region 11 meeting minutes on its old website back to the 1930s. Beyond that, in combing the internet I find very little or nothing at all about some of the associations that I knew or was a member of in former times. Livermore Outboard Association, East Bay Boat Club, Manitoba Outboard Racing Association and the races that were sponsored by the Mariposa Yacht Club and so many more that I can remember. Every area has or had them and they are fading from the collective memory. Maybe that's how it's supposed to be. On the other hand, it would be great if people who know or knew these groups could record those memories in BRF. So,contribute your recollections or pictures or collections. If you know others that can, encourage them to contribute or do it with them. They may not know about BRF and that their/our history is important. Hopefully, there is backup of BRF so that if and when it goes out of existence that all of this great material collected until now and thereafter is not lost.

As sportspeople, we must preserve our evolution and history because mainstream media has largely forgotten about our sport.

bill boyes
09-15-2009, 01:10 PM
East bay boat club is still very active in Region 11.

jeff55vDSH
09-15-2009, 01:48 PM
I started out in racing with the Northwestern Illinois Outboard Association in 1976. No scales, no inspection, no hassles, run what you brung and have a good time. Whatever hp your motor was rated at, that's the class you ran it in. We raced a Junior class(7.5hp), 18hp, 25hp, 35hp and 40hp. All classes ran with stock (service) lower units.

I think I'm the only active racer left from the NIORA. Bummer.

You can read a little more, and see some photos on my web page:
http://jeff55v.tripod.com/id30.html

seacow
09-15-2009, 01:52 PM
East bay boat club is still very active in Region 11.

I am aware that EBBC exists and is active. But-there is no public record of its very interesting history which dates back more than 50 years. I would wager that not many current EBBC members or non-members know much about what EBBC was doing, say in the 50s or 60s. So, EBBC is a good example of what we are losing even though it still is active. I for one, would like to see the pictures from old races.

The fact that EBBC exists does not tell us about the past. How about that fellow who disguised his KG7 as a KG4 but never took a first place because he did not want to be inspected. How about the chap who won all B races of EBBC for a while because he had the only Champion Hot Rod against the 20Hs? What was racing like at Fremont Marine Stadium? EBBC held races in Woodside on the Peninsula (which I reported on in BRF previously) and also in the Bay at Red Rock Marina with rollers and whitecaps. Why were their exclusively stock races separate from Alky races? Who was Will Adams, the Commodore for many years and what happened to him (passed away some years ago). Almost no one except for my old buddy Steve Wilde knows that Big Brother and the Holding Company of San Francisco and Janis Joplin fame played the EBBC banquet when they were starving and just before they hit the national charts. Many of the history items are of national and not just local interest like the specifics of the hot rod/ 20H rivalry (documented elsewhere as well).

hydroc888
09-16-2009, 11:08 AM
CCRA and WCOA . Both were pretty much marathon racing clubs.

ProHydroRacer
09-16-2009, 11:53 AM
Region 7 – Outboard Club of Chicago

Apparently, the club was started in the 40’s or 50’s as a well-to-do Alky Racing Club and died out in the early 60’s. The club was returned to life in the middle 60’s with the help of Char and Clyde Queen, Ray Hardy, Dean Wilson, Johnny Winzeler, Bud Finkle, and Homer Kincade. Larry Latta and Bill Kurps joined the “Chicago Gang” in the fall of 1966. Other members that I can recall where Ray Nydal, Bruce Summers, Flex and his son, Don Oberta, Barry Anderson, Ray Rodda, Rod Walk, and too many that I have forgotten.

We put on a number of Boat Racing Booth Displays, in Chicago, at the McCormick Place in the late 60’s & 70’s. We where strictly an Alky Club and ran a number of APBA (PRO) Alky Nationals at Depue Illinois in the 60’s & 70’s. We also put on races in Springfield IL, Chicago IL, Taylorville IL, Keokuk IL, Des Moines Iowa, and Omaha Nebraska.

Our club members attended many of the NOA Michigan Outboard Races in Region 6, filling in the field for the smaller classes “A” (250cc) and “B” (350cc) classes.

We ran normally about 7 to 8 races per year at our events and at the other Region clubs. It was a great time to race Alky Outboard Hydros & Runabouts.

Bill Kurps V-15, V-13, & later Z-13

A/B Speedliner
09-18-2009, 10:23 AM
Eastern Outboard Racing Club, EORC has been around for a long time. Incorpoarated in the late 1940's and still running races. I was a member from the mid 1950's to the mid 1970's. There are and were many notable racers as members. Some are still active today. To name a few Pete Helsten, Pete Voss, Bill Fales, Bill Hocter, Dave Young, Howie Pickerell, Dick Scopinich, Jim Gohery and Doug Bindram. In 1969 I was the Secretary with Pete Hellsten as Commodore, Howie Pickerell as Vice Comadore, Bob Rusnack as Rear Commodore and Pete Voss as Treasurer. I have attached the 1969 Rule Book for those that are interested.

Allen J. Lang
09-18-2009, 11:47 AM
Hi Dave- As usual, my name was omitted from the roster. I was a member from 1955 thru 1970 when I gave it up. It was my club membership to run APBA events. Boy, do I remember most of the names. Was good times and do keep in touch with some of them. I have renewed my membership to see what is happening back on the Island.
Thanks for the posting.
Ye Olde Desert Geezer Al :cool:

Allen J. Lang
09-18-2009, 11:53 AM
Hey Bob- you have a good coverage of information of EORC. How about adding to Dave's posting.
Al :cool:

Allen J. Lang
09-19-2009, 04:50 PM
If you check out Boat Sport web site, the third issue outlines the start of EORC in Outlaws Of Long Island. Good shot of Elly Langdon and Art and Dot Hilton running FRR. :D
Reading the article and seeing the pictures brings back old memories. :cool:

DeanFHobart
09-23-2009, 08:40 AM
Seattle Outboard Association started in 1929. We just celebrated our 80th year.

:cool::cool::D:D

Joe J
09-23-2009, 09:09 AM
I have a flyer dated 1954 that was handed out at races and boat shows. I will scan it this weekend and post.

NCOA was formed in 1927. I would think it is one of the oldest clubs going.

Joe Johnson

Bob Rusnak
09-23-2009, 10:29 AM
The Eastern Outboard Racing Club is still active holding 4 races each year. It is not the same as it use to be. We held 10-12 races every year and had 50-60 entries. Some of the great drivers emerged from this club with many going on to win National Championships. The awards banquet in January is one of the best around. It is just so hard to keep boat racing going and attracting new interested drivers. The cost, inshurance, laws, population, noise polution etc, etc all hurt the club. Use to run open exhaust engines, no more. It is amazing that the club is still active and going. By the way, it is the second oldest culb in the US. I will follow up in the future with some pictures....Bob N-96

Gary Crawford
09-24-2009, 08:53 PM
I am aware that EBBC exists and is active. But-there is no public record of its very interesting history which dates back more than 50 years. I would wager that not many current EBBC members or non-members know much about what EBBC was doing, say in the 50s or 60s. So, EBBC is a good example of what we are losing even though it still is active. I for one, would like to see the pictures from old races.

The fact that EBBC exists does not tell us about the past. How about that fellow who disguised his KG7 as a KG4 but never took a first place because he did not want to be inspected. How about the chap who won all B races of EBBC for a while because he had the only Champion Hot Rod against the 20Hs? What was racing like at Fremont Marine Stadium? EBBC held races in Woodside on the Peninsula (which I reported on in BRF previously) and also in the Bay at Red Rock Marina with rollers and whitecaps. Why were their exclusively stock races separate from Alky races? Who was Will Adams, the Commodore for many years and what happened to him (passed away some years ago). Almost no one except for my old buddy Steve Wilde knows that Big Brother and the Holding Company of San Francisco and Janis Joplin fame played the EBBC banquet when they were starving and just before they hit the national charts. Many of the history items are of national and not just local interest like the specifics of the hot rod/ 20H rivalry (documented elsewhere as well).

Hi Seacow, When Iwas a small kid my Dad and brother were members of EBBC back in the mid 50's. My brother ran A stock Hydro and my dad used our family utility 14 ft. Rockholt as the "crashboat" or thats what they called the rescue boats back then. My dads name was Carl Crawford and my brother Mitch is alive and well today. I remember several racer Names around the house then like: Johnny Alden, Chuck Bowls, Al Bly, Dick Hobbs,Eddie West who owned a boat shop in El cerrito or Albany. Bob Akers, Who also ran back in the early 50's is Will and Jeff Akers dad. My brother raced at Aquatic Park in Berkeley, and various resorts that held races in Clearlake. I too would love to see some pictures of the life and times of bay area boat racers and the places that they raced. Gary.

seacow
09-28-2009, 09:48 PM
Hi Seacow, When Iwas a small kid my Dad and brother were members of EBBC back in the mid 50's. My brother ran A stock Hydro and my dad used our family utility 14 ft. Rockholt as the "crashboat" or thats what they called the rescue boats back then. My dads name was Carl Crawford and my brother Mitch is alive and well today. I remember several racer Names around the house then like: Johnny Alden, Chuck Bowls, Al Bly, Dick Hobbs,Eddie West who owned a boat shop in El cerrito or Albany. Bob Akers, Who also ran back in the early 50's is Will and Jeff Akers dad. My brother raced at Aquatic Park in Berkeley, and various resorts that held races in Clearlake. I too would love to see some pictures of the life and times of bay area boat racers and the places that they raced. Gary.

Hi Gary

My racing in the Bay Area started in 1958-59 when I moved there and some of those guys were still around. Unfortunately, my house burned down some years ago and my racing boats, trophies and photos are gone as a result. Let's hope that someone reads this and posts some great pix from those days. -Errol

Guy
10-15-2009, 01:14 AM
Suncoast Outboard Racing Assn.
Was alive and well from approx 1975 - 1982. My Father was the Commodore for most of its existence. We hosted alot of races at Lake Alfred, Tarpon Springs, Ocoee, and almost nailed a UIM World Championship at Cypress Gardens (which I understand got shotdown for Bakersfield due to some internal APBA shenanigans). We always hosted a fun saturday night banquet, and had some GREAT end-of-year party's at our house.
SORA, those were some fun times!!!

Guy

Master Oil Racing Team
10-15-2009, 06:46 AM
As all us outboarders know, region 5 has a lot of good racers Guy. In Texas we had the Lone Star Boat Racing Association which was a sanctioning body in itself, but within Lone Star we had different local clubs. In the earlier years there were very many, but during the times I raced we had Baytown Boat Club, Neches Boat Club, San Antonio Boat Club, Corpus Christi Boat Club, North Texas Boat Club and South Texas Boat Club. What I was wondering was were there other boat clubs in Region 5 also. I guess I used to know, but it's been too long. And besides your Dad Roy, who else was a member of SORA? I remember Katie and Bill Billiter spent an enormous time organizing and officiating at Region 5 races before SORA, so what club would that be?

Guy
11-11-2009, 03:21 AM
Katie & Bill ran the "Central Fla Outboard Racing Assn", they pretty much spearheaded the Lakeland/Orange Cup race every year (as well as always hosting a great Saturday night party/banquet at they're house).

Probably one of the biggest, oldest & most active Region 5 clubs was/is the "Peace River Outboard Racing Assn". From the 60's thru current, they hosted the majority of Region 5 PRO & SO races (Avon Park, Ocoee, Frostproof, Lake Alfred, Orlando Navy base, Leesburg, Tavares, West Palm Bch, etc.). For years it was ran by Bill and Evelyn Parker (anybody know what ever happened to them?). Now I believe Tom Cronk runs it.

I believe Jim Stone had a club in the Jacksonville area that hosted the Jacksonville race for a # of years (at the Boyscout camp).
There were 1 or 2 other clubs that ran some R5 races, but soon fizzled out & died (don't recall the club names).

Some of the members of SORA I recall were:
Bill Kuhn (25ssr & sossh, and owner/builder Samarai Hydroplanes).
Chuck Gurr (700ccH).
Richard Collins (20ssH)
Jack & Johnny Gosman (500ccH)
Steve Lee (25ssR)
Barry Byers (350ccH)
Terry Rinker (OPC & SO)
Jim Hunt (OPC)
Bob Fields (CSH)
Joe Dvorack (DSH)
John Bush (CSR)
Bunky Bowerman (CSH, DSH)

Sadly, the current # of races in Region 5 has dwindled, and is now but a shadow of the # of races that Region 5 used to host. I can recall (around the mid & later 70's) sometimes 14 (or more) Fla races scheduled in one season (and thats before the Title Series came about). I'm sure you remember Region 5's Grapefruit Circuit, and all the great back-to-back weeks of races that were held. I can still remember all the various northerners race trailers that we would store at our house between race weekends (as well as sometimes the familys too). Now we're lucky to even HAVE a Grapefruit Circuit.

Does anyone remember SORA's annual Deep-sea Fishing Tournament we'd have every year (out of Tarpon Springs & the Sponge Docks)?
A funny story I recall. One year we had 50 people attending the tournament. Before we'd let the boat leave the dock, we'd always first do a headcount (and a beer count as well). But we only counted 49 people, so we were trying to figure out who's missing by doing a role-call. Everyone answered except for Ed Deseare (500ccH). We couldn't find him anywhere on board. Then someone noticed an old stationwagon barrelling down the road honking its horn like crazy with a 500cc hydroplane tied to its roof (Ed always tied his boat to the roof, instead of towing a trailer). Ed did a nice little Dukes-of-hazard powerslide next to the boat, then casually got out of the car carrying a case of beer. He said he couldn't find anywhere to buy beer on a Sunday morning (he forgot Florida doesn't sell beer before 1pm on Sundays), so he ended up bribing some guy at an old baitshop. We all laughed, and later everyone agree'd that there is just something kind of comical about suddenly seeing a hydroplane "floating" above other cars as it travels thru a parking lot!!

seacow
11-11-2009, 11:39 AM
Can we all send our clubs logos or emblems to this thread? I like the cartoon hydro racer of East Bay Boat club. Have some logos changed over time?

seacow
11-11-2009, 11:48 AM
In Reg. 11, I remember Livermore Outboard Racing Association was in business for about 5 years. Also several of us formed the Redwood Empire Outboard Association for a while. Then there is the Whidbey Island Rooster Tales in Reg 10. The Mariposa Yacht Club used to sponsor SF races. Someone please talk about these.

So, lets talk about the lesser known and shorter lived clubs too!

Also was there political strife between factions in some clubs? I know there was in my club.

V2C131
03-11-2013, 09:00 AM
My Grandpa Mike Vitucci was Commodore of the Western Outboard Association in 1958 they raced Salton sea, Long Beach, Lake Mead and other areas. He built his Flamingo Runabouts and raced with stock motors.